Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:26:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The perfect tool for Bitcoin newbies - get them a Deposit Card!  (Read 2857 times)
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 03:55:33 PM

The idea here is that virtual currencies are difficult for the average person to grasp.  They want something they can hold in their hands.

So check this out

https://bit-pay.com/cards

It lets anyone *receive* bitcoins without a wallet or without having to know anything about bitcoins.  It's the perfect gift to give to someone so you can explain how Bitcoins work.  After you give them the card, and they activate it, show them how you scan it and send them a few pennies.  they will get a text message alert saying 'you've got money!"

check out the rough video demonstration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UmynaPg8hw

This should be something that the general public can grasp.  "I use this to receive money, into my bank account, ok I get it."  Once they get that far, then you can take the next step and show them more of the wallet side of things.  They can switch their account preferences at any time to keep the bitcoins instead of converting them to USD.  USD just makes it easier for the newbie to understand.

We will have a printer in our booth at CES to make these on the spot for any reporter that comes in.  I hope we can get alot of new bitcoin users from this!

oh, and we have keyring versions too Smiley

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 03:57:47 PM

Awesome.  Just awesome.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 04:04:08 PM

Looks like the same Porsche key as the one that PimpCoin is using.  Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 04:21:22 PM

Perfection.

Anyone can accept Bitcoins as payment now.

You guys have the BTC acceptance down pat.

If we could get to the point where it is that easy to convert dollars to BTC it would be revolutionary.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 04:24:56 PM

Perfection.

Anyone can accept Bitcoins as payment now.

Thanks!  the Mobile Checkout is better for a shop like yours if you need to collect a specific amount in USD, EUR, etc, but this is a step towards more simplification.  You don't have to have your phone on you, just put this on your keyring and let the person with the phone figure out how much to send you.

I do need to get over to see your wife's shop soon.  This month has just been way too busy.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 04:31:14 PM

The idea here is that virtual currencies are difficult for the average person to grasp.  They want something they can hold in their hands.

So check this out

https://bit-pay.com/cards

It lets anyone *receive* bitcoins without a wallet or without having to know anything about bitcoins.  It's the perfect gift to give to someone so you can explain how Bitcoins work.  After you give them the card, and they activate it, show them how you scan it and send them a few pennies.  they will get a text message alert saying 'you've got money!"

check out the rough video demonstration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UmynaPg8hw

This should be something that the general public can grasp.  "I use this to receive money, into my bank account, ok I get it."  Once they get that far, then you can take the next step and show them more of the wallet side of things.  They can switch their account preferences at any time to keep the bitcoins instead of converting them to USD.  USD just makes it easier for the newbie to understand.

We will have a printer in our booth at CES to make these on the spot for any reporter that comes in.  I hope we can get alot of new bitcoin users from this!

oh, and we have keyring versions too Smiley

I'm going to tweet @ChicagoCabbie the YouTube link. Great video!

~Bruno~
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 04:33:20 PM

you're giving away Porsches? I want one!

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 04:53:33 PM

If I want to get some of these for other people, do I need an account or can I just order the cards and send them to the website to activate?

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 05:09:01 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2012, 05:53:52 PM by Bit-pay Merchant Solutions

If I want to get some of these for other people, do I need an account or can I just order the cards and send them to the website to activate?

you can order a card for anyone from our site.  it's when they activate it that we do the account creation.  You can also add a card to a Bit-Pay account you already have.

amazingrando

Activity: 546

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 05:50:39 PM

Very cool.  We really needed something like this.  Keep it coming!

Bitbond - 105% PPS mining bond - mining payouts without buying hardware
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:09:27 PM

I was able to buy one early and just submitted for my activation. Nice hard plastic, 3 to a card. Well done.

Mine came with ford keys, not Porsche  Tongue

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
damnek

Activity: 614

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:17:26 PM

This looks very nice! I just had a crazy idea: how about printing these QR-codes on t-shirts!
jav

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:19:13 PM

Awesome! :-)

Hive, a beautiful wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit. Tweets @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn.
user97834

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:55:58 PM

This is a brilliant idea! You can also make stickers out of the qr codes to stick on items in a store and scan at check-out just like the UPC code too. There are many ways to implement this. I really like what you are doing!

Just one question though. How are you able to exchange the BTC for USD so quickly and deposit it to the card holder's bank account? This is something I need to know before deciding to buy one.

Keep up the great work!
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 07:17:45 PM

This is a brilliant idea! You can also make stickers out of the qr codes to stick on items in a store and scan at check-out just like the UPC code too. There are many ways to implement this. I really like what you are doing!

Just one question though. How are you able to exchange the BTC for USD so quickly and deposit it to the card holder's bank account? This is something I need to know before deciding to buy one.

Keep up the great work!

And along those lines...

Are you making that deposit before there's even a confirmation of the transaction in the blockchain?

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
vuce

Activity: 476

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 07:20:00 PM

This is pretty awesome. I hope someone makes something like this that will work with european banks.
Koekiemonster

Activity: 321

Bitbuy.nl!

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 07:41:29 PM

This is pretty awesome. I hope someone makes something like this that will work with european banks.
This. US was the first easy step, but addapting it to all the EU banks and the rest of the world will take time. I hope we will see many additional countries supported in the coming year!

https://www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Bitcointalk topic over Bitbuy!
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 07:56:50 PM

Keep up the great work!

The money is deposited in your bank account once per day he states... you just get notification that bit-pay got and traded for your money from how I understand it?...

That's something of a relief, but I still wonder if they trade the sent bitcoins (by using their own coins) for USD as soon as the transaction is detected? That still wouldn't be an ideal situation, but then again, I get it that the USD price could shift quite a bit while waiting for 1 or 2 confirmations. Hmm....

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
btcinstant

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 08:11:20 PM

Very good job Bit-Pay guys!  Grin  this is a good alternative to my service http://www.btcinstant.com . We convert Bitcoins -> USD-> Credit Cards for use immediately. FYI: We use bit-pay to convert USD for our customers they are great guys! hat's off to you all!

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 08:53:18 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2012, 09:55:15 PM by Bit-pay Merchant Solutions

The timing of the notifications works just like the regular Bit-Pay accounts.  You can choose to be notified immediately, after 1 confirmation, or after 6 confirmations.  But regardless of your notification setting, the accounting ledger is not updated until 6 confirmations.  Then each day we do a sweep and payout your accumulated balance by ACH direct deposit.  

The fees are 2.99% which includes the sell trade and the ACH, both of which cost us money to execute, but we do it all for the merchant.   They don't have to mess with anything, and they can spend their time running their business.  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: