Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:23:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 [309] 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 ... 486 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BBR] Boolberry: Privacy and Security - Guaranteed Since 2014  (Read 1210689 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 01:23:47 PM

Trying to compile GUI version on linux:

http://boolberry.com/howto.html

Here is an example of a build for Ubuntu 13 or 14. The first steps are to add the PPA that contains Boost 1.55. The rest is self explanitory:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:boost-latest/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -y install gcc-4.8 g++-4.8 libboost1.55-all-dev git cmake
    git clone https://github.com/cryptozoidberg/boolberry.git
    cd boolberry; make -j

every time my computer freezes up on the cd boolberry; make -j step.

The dependencies installed fine
Please help

Should I be working with this file instead?
bbr-linux-x64-v0.3.0.41(abcdeab).tar.bz2

I could not find a read me file

Do you have low RAM? make -j gives unlimited parallelism which might be too much. Try make without the -j or put a number after the -j for who many simultaneous compiles your computer can handle (start with 2 or 4 for example)

4GB RAM. New PC with a fresh Ubuntu 14.04 install

Thanks for your help. I am trying the below now (install is in process now but going slow):
cd boolberry; make -j2

what if anything do I need to do with this file?

If I am cloning from git from the above instructions I don't see why I need it. Excuse my ignorance please. I am new to Linux

Okay it seems like everything is in installed but I dont see a GUI! in the boolberry-build-release-src folder I only see boold, connectivity_tool, simple miner and simple wallet

are these instructions for the CLI wallet only? Where is the GUI.

This appears to include a GUI per BBR page:

but I see no instructions to install it

It's not something I've done but looking at the CMakeLists.txt file I'd guess that going into the Makefile and changing

cmake -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release

to

cmake -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -D BUILD_GUI=TRUE

Then make as usual

or if not that, then something close to it.

You will likely get some messages about missing dependencies (Qt libraries and headers). Install those then try again.

I really appreciate your advice but don't really feel comfortable with this type of experimentation.

Is there anyone here who has already installed the GUI on Ubuntu? Could you provide me instructions step by step?

A lot of times Linux doesn't really lend itself to step-by-step.  smooth gave you good advice.  Dependencies are where you might run into trouble.  Just bring any error messages you get here (or to a Ubuntu board) and someone will help you figure out which dependencies you need to install.  You're close.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:02:09 PM

I really appreciate your advice but don't really feel comfortable with this type of experimentation.

Is there anyone here who has already installed the GUI on Ubuntu? Could you provide me instructions step by step?

lolwat

1) Install Windows 7
2) Download precompiled GUI binary
3) Unzip and double-click boolberry-qt.exe
4) ? ? ?
5) Profit!

I did that a long time ago. It works well. Now I am trying to get things to work on Linux too. I am learning Ubuntu
languagehasmeaning

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:03:52 PM

Trying to compile GUI version on linux:

http://boolberry.com/howto.html

Here is an example of a build for Ubuntu 13 or 14. The first steps are to add the PPA that contains Boost 1.55. The rest is self explanitory:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:boost-latest/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -y install gcc-4.8 g++-4.8 libboost1.55-all-dev git cmake
    git clone https://github.com/cryptozoidberg/boolberry.git
    cd boolberry; make -j

every time my computer freezes up on the cd boolberry; make -j step.

The dependencies installed fine
Please help

Should I be working with this file instead?

I could not find a read me file

Do you have low RAM? make -j gives unlimited parallelism which might be too much. Try make without the -j or put a number after the -j for who many simultaneous compiles your computer can handle (start with 2 or 4 for example)

4GB RAM. New PC with a fresh Ubuntu 14.04 install

Thanks for your help. I am trying the below now (install is in process now but going slow):
cd boolberry; make -j2

what if anything do I need to do with this file?

If I am cloning from git from the above instructions I don't see why I need it. Excuse my ignorance please. I am new to Linux

Okay it seems like everything is in installed but I dont see a GUI! in the boolberry-build-release-src folder I only see boold, connectivity_tool, simple miner and simple wallet

are these instructions for the CLI wallet only? Where is the GUI.

This appears to include a GUI per BBR page:

but I see no instructions to install it

It's not something I've done but looking at the CMakeLists.txt file I'd guess that going into the Makefile and changing

to

Then make as usual

or if not that, then something close to it.

You will likely get some messages about missing dependencies (Qt libraries and headers). Install those then try again.

A lot of times Linux doesn't really lend itself to step-by-step.  smooth gave you good advice.  Dependencies are where you might run into trouble.  Just bring any error messages you get here (or to a Ubuntu board) and someone will help you figure out which dependencies you need to install.  You're close.

If you read all of my comments you will see that currently there is no error message and I appear to have all dependencies. The problem is that I followed all the instructions and there is no GUI

My question remains. Is there anyone here who has installed the GUI on Ubuntu or another version of Linux?
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:06:59 PM

You built with BUILD_GUI=TRUE and you have no GUI and no error messages?
scruffy scruffington

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:42:58 PM

Hi, languagehasmeaning

Don't try to build it,  it can be difficult because of the possible issues with QT.
Simplest way to get GUI at Ubuntu:

wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/boolberry/bbr-linux-x64-v0.3.0.41%28abcdeab%29.tar.bz2
tar -xvjf "bbr-linux-x64-v0.3.0.41(abcdeab).tar.bz2"
cd boolberry
chmod 777 ./qt-boolb.sh
./qt-boolb.sh

it starts GUI app. Wait until it downloads current blockchain and you can use it after that.
languagehasmeaning

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:54:35 PM

no I did not feel comfortable editing the make file as smooth suggested as he said he had not done that himself and seemed uncertain:

"It's not something I've done but looking at the CMakeLists.txt file I'd guess that going into the Makefile and changing

to

Then make as usual

or if not that, then something close to it."

The above instructions look great for someone who is more experienced than I am. I have never edited a makefile.

I am new to Linux and did not want to experiment
languagehasmeaning

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:56:09 PM

Hi, languagehasmeaning

Don't try to build it,  it can be difficult because of the possible issues with QT.
Simplest way to get GUI at Ubuntu:

wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/boolberry/bbr-linux-x64-v0.3.0.41%28abcdeab%29.tar.bz2
tar -xvjf "bbr-linux-x64-v0.3.0.41(abcdeab).tar.bz2"
cd boolberry
chmod 777 ./qt-boolb.sh
./qt-boolb.sh

it starts GUI app. Wait until it downloads current blockchain and you can use it after that.

Thank you very much! This advice was perfect. Everything is working great now!

How is the new GUI wallet coming along? Are you ready for beta testers. Thanks again for all you have done to help Boolberry. I love this coin and community
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 04:24:29 PM

no I did not feel comfortable editing the make file as smooth suggested as he said he had not done that himself and seemed uncertain:

"It's not something I've done but looking at the CMakeLists.txt file I'd guess that going into the Makefile and changing

to

Then make as usual

The above instructions look great for someone who is more experienced than I am. I have never edited a makefile.

Then you shouldn't have said:

If you read all of my comments you will see that currently there is no error message and I appear to have all dependencies. The problem is that I followed all the instructions and there is no GUI
languagehasmeaning

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 04:57:16 PM

to

Then make as usual

Then you shouldn't have said:

I did follow all instructions on boolberry.com

I also followed some advice that smooth gave me and I am grateful for such as removing the j or adding 2 after it here:
cd boolberry; make -j

I just did not feel comfortable editing a make file.  I am not sure why are are attacking me or claiming there should be an error message. After
cd boolberry; make -j 2 I could complete installation with no error messages.

Everything works now. Not sure why you want to keep attacking me
onemorexmr

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 05:36:05 PM

dont take that as an attack...
its just that with using linux its often necessary to edit makefiles or compile something with different flags. that isnt something viewed as special or complicated by people used to linux; hence the reaction.

if you continue using linux every day in a few months you will share that view: different os different concepts Wink

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
boolberry

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 03:05:18 AM

dont take that as an attack...
its just that with using linux its often necessary to edit makefiles or compile something with different flags. that isnt something viewed as special or complicated by people used to linux; hence the reaction.

if you continue using linux every day in a few months you will share that view: different os different concepts Wink

It did not seem like an attack to me either.

Congratulations on getting it to work on Linux. Keep using Linux and you will learn to love it soon. It will also make privacy and security much easier to maintain.

If you are new, this may interest you: http://askubuntu.com/questions/192269/how-can-i-remove-amazon-search-results-from-the-dash-or-disable-the-feature
crypto_zoidberg (OP)

Activity: 976
Merit: 646

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 06:38:23 PM

Hi Folk!

We (Clintar and me) made some db code, which seems to work fine. (we made some tests on clintar's backend).
This code take part of blockchain data (blockchain.bin) and store it in leveldb database. Is things gonna be ok we'll move the rest of data into leveldb database.

Anyone who interested to reduce memory usage in Boolberry daemon, could try to use code from "db" branch for test.

Thanks for any feedback.

Zoidberg

PS: Many thanks to Clintar for helping, supporting and even coding Boolberry!

shojayxt
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 07:06:40 PM

Hi Folk!

We (Clintar and me) made some db code, which seems to work fine. (we made some tests on clintar's backend).
This code take part of blockchain data (blockchain.bin) and store it in leveldb database. Is things gonna be ok we'll move the rest of data into leveldb database.

Anyone who interested to reduce memory usage in Boolberry daemon, could try to use code from "db" branch for test.

Thanks for any feedback.

Zoidberg

Great news!  Will test it out.
clintar2

Activity: 202
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 07:26:28 PM

...snip...

I know you got this sorted out, but If you ever want to build the gui yourself, you don't need to change the file. Following http://boolberry.com/howto.html#build_gui you just

Code:
mkdir -p build/release; cd build/release
cmake -D BUILD_GUI=TRUE -D CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/user/Qt/5.3/gcc_64 -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../..
make qt-boolb

That would put the binary in build/release/src as qt-boolb. What I do is go into that directory and run
Code:
cp -r ../../../src/gui/qt-daemon/html . 
then you can run
Code:
./qt-boolb

Hi Folk!

Thanks for any feedback.

Zoidberg

Just for information's sake, when testing this out, memory usage can remain high since it caches the database for speed, until system gets squeezed for memory (like say compiling the daemon again with -j4). The daemon will let go if there is memory contention. I've seen it get down to like 160 MB used.

P.S. My previous clintar account got banned because I forgot my password and tried to log in using my security question I think. I could never get a mod to answer at the email address it told me to send to, so I'm clintar2 now, I guess.
boolberry

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 07:38:21 PM

Hi Folk!

Thanks for any feedback.

Zoidberg

exciting news!

I just shared it on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/BBRcurrency/status/642419677411479552

I have been more active lately reaching out to potential merchants. Some (such as a few vpns) and purism today seem interested to learn more:
https://twitter.com/Puri_sm/status/642201280736161793

If more people could contact privacy focused companies that would make it much easier to increase adoption
AnonCoinTwitter

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 08:06:31 PM

Hi Folk!

Thanks for any feedback.

Zoidberg

exciting news!

I just shared it on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/BBRcurrency/status/642419677411479552

I have been more active lately reaching out to potential merchants. Some (such as a few vpns) and purism today seem interested to learn more:
https://twitter.com/Puri_sm/status/642201280736161793

If more people could contact privacy focused companies that would make it much easier to increase adoption

I retweeted you.

This is one of the most exciting privacy focused coins in crypto. My followers were originally more focused on zerocoin but based on long development delays I think many of them will now look to cryptonote as the best available tech on the market right now

bitcoinrocks
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 08:10:28 PM

Anybody looking to sell BBR?
bbreconomy

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 08:53:17 PM

Anybody looking to sell BBR?

This honestly seems like the worst possible time to sell BBR. CryptoZoidberg is visibly active again and there is new db code to test.

Last summer fall around the time of the SuperNet announcement and huge price increase might have been a good time to sell BBR.  Today will important development progress being made and prices and extremely low levels I see no reason why anyone would want to sell
languagehasmeaning

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 09:08:46 PM

...snip...

I know you got this sorted out, but If you ever want to build the gui yourself, you don't need to change the file. Following http://boolberry.com/howto.html#build_gui you just

Code:
mkdir -p build/release; cd build/release
cmake -D BUILD_GUI=TRUE -D CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/home/user/Qt/5.3/gcc_64 -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../..
make qt-boolb

That would put the binary in build/release/src as qt-boolb. What I do is go into that directory and run
Code:
cp -r ../../../src/gui/qt-daemon/html . 
then you can run
Code:
./qt-boolb

Hi Folk!

Thanks for any feedback.

Zoidberg

Just for information's sake, when testing this out, memory usage can remain high since it caches the database for speed, until system gets squeezed for memory (like say compiling the daemon again with -j4). The daemon will let go if there is memory contention. I've seen it get down to like 160 MB used.

P.S. My previous clintar account got banned because I forgot my password and tried to log in using my security question I think. I could never get a mod to answer at the email address it told me to send to, so I'm clintar2 now, I guess.

Thanks again. I am learning slowly. From the instructions you cited this was the confusing part:

1. Download Qt Installer from website: http://qt-project.org/downloads, add executable attribute to it, and run, follow instructions.
2. Install additional tools:

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev libdrm-dev

For newcomers it may help to define exactly how to "add executable attribute to it and run"

I am sure these things will become easy for me in time. Right now I still have to Google everything or ask questions.  I am paranoid about messing something up
languagehasmeaning

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 11:04:47 PM

Can someone update the OP and replace twitter.com/boolberryBBR (has not tweeted in a long time) with twitter.com/bbrcurrency (active account)?
Pages: « 1 ... 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 [309] 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 ... 486 »
  Print  

Jump to: