Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:40:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleepless? Tired? No time for family?  (Read 19905 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 09:10:00 PM

Jessi,

Loving the tool every day. Alarms have been working like a charm, and gives me a little
more confidence in trading, in being able to properly monitor my trades.

After looking at the calculators I thought of a possible reconfiguration that might be more useful
for everyone. I find myself using the "Last" price-based calculator only. I use it as a gauge to see
what my current trade is worth at any given moment. For now, I do not see any use as of yet for
the Buy / Sell version calculators.

I think what would be handy is having both a "Last" calculator, and a free-form btc calculator,
to compare total dollars at most current BTC price with total dollars based on user-entered BTC price.

That way, one could get an instant comparison between dollar totals based on the live BTC price
and where they think the BTC price might be going, up or down. Also, you could enter in the free-form
calculator, the price at which you bought in at, and then always get an instant  comparison of how your
trade is doing, making money or losing dollars, and by exactly how much. Of course there are many other
uses for the free-form calculator as well,like figuring out BTC trading fees, or re-investing additional BTC
and doing cost averaging, etc.

And the nice thing is, in terms of updating the Alert Tool,  you could simply leave your calculator
entry fields exactly where they are, but make them horizontal equations, with each row being a
calculator.

The Calculator top row would be the "Last" calculator, with the BTC amount entered in the left field,
the "last" BTC price always shown in the middle field, and the totaled dollar amount shown in the
right field.

The second row for the Free-Form calculator works exactly the same, except the user decides and
enters the BTC price in the middle field.

And to make the design even easier, you could simply remove the Bitcoin and Dollar symbols in
between the calculator fields and simply replace them with "X" for multiplied by, and the "=" sign
for equals to, representing 2 horizontal equations, instead of vertical ones. Then on top of the first
calculator column place the "B" bitcoin symbol, the 2nd column maybe "P" for price, and "$" symbol
over third column for total dollars.

Let me know what you think of this idea.

Stew

i use only the last price alarm and calculator.  the rest is just wasted white space for me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jessi (OP)

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 10:59:50 PM

Jessi,

Loving the tool every day. Alarms have been working like a charm, and gives me a little
Thank you very much.

After looking at the calculators I thought of a possible reconfiguration that might be more useful
for everyone. I find myself using the "Last" price-based calculator only. I use it as a gauge to see
what my current trade is worth at any given moment. For now, I do not see any use as of yet for
Same way as I use it at the Moment...

How is about all the others? Do you use "buy" or "sell" columns?

I think what would be handy is having both a "Last" calculator, and a free-form btc calculator,
to compare total dollars at most current BTC price with total dollars based on user-entered BTC price.
Hmm, to see if I understand you correctly:
You want to have two calculators INSTEAD of the one you have at the Moment:
1. which is calculating like now, based on the live price
2. you can calculate like a calculator, but giving a free price?

That way, one could get an instant comparison between dollar totals based on the live BTC price
and where they think the BTC price might be going, up or down. Also, you could enter in the free-form
calculator, the price at which you bought in at, and then always get an instant  comparison of how your
trade is doing, making money or losing dollars, and by exactly how much. Of course there are many other
uses for the free-form calculator as well,like figuring out BTC trading fees, or re-investing additional BTC
Hmm, but to keep it simple, how should this free-form calculator work if it should do dfferent things, like calculating fees?
And also, sometimes it there is no big spread between buy and sell possible and in those cases you should be able to calculate your "break even" price which means including your fees.

And the nice thing is, in terms of updating the Alert Tool,  you could simply leave your calculator
entry fields exactly where they are, but make them horizontal equations, with each row being a
calculator.
That is not very hard to re-arange - harder is to "re-programm". ;-)

The Calculator top row would be the "Last" calculator, with the BTC amount entered in the left field,
the "last" BTC price always shown in the middle field, and the totaled dollar amount shown in the
right field.
Ok...

The second row for the Free-Form calculator works exactly the same, except the user decides and
Ok...

And to make the design even easier, you could simply remove the Bitcoin and Dollar symbols in
between the calculator fields and simply replace them with "X" for multiplied by, and the "=" sign
for equals to, representing 2 horizontal equations, instead of vertical ones. Then on top of the first
calculator column place the "B" bitcoin symbol, the 2nd column maybe "P" for price, and "$" symbol
Ok. Sure.

Stew
This basically are all good Ideas and defenetly worth to think about and maybe to programm, to.

A little Part of this could be Part of the new Tool. (You may have checked out the Spreadsheet?)
I am thinking about this Tool as a kind of "break-even"-calculator, where you can see your
break-even (min or max) price for buy and sell after paying the fee for the transactions.
I did finalize the first rows of each block (first row for sell, second row for buy).
If they are working well, the other 4 rows each block would follow.
Finally we have 5 rows for buy and 5 for sell.
And they would summarize alltogether and you could see your profit/loss in different scenarios.
It would be behave like in excel, but a bit better, because there will be live prices included also and
you can work with it without installing anything (excep Browser+Flash-Player).
Also it could have it´s own alarm to keep you informed, if one of your scenarios will appear. ;-)

On the first Page there is a link at the Bottom "Here is a new Tool this is really early alpha. Click to open it."
http://www.bitcoin-tools.de/index.html
Please remember it is really early early alpha and I decided to show it, because you all are invited to
let me know about your wishes regarding this tool.

Let me know what you think about that.

www.Bitcoin-Tools.de - Price Alert & Calculator [OUTDATED!]
A little tool to keep you informed or wake you up, if Mt.Gox reaches a defined price level and a calculator to convert  BTC or USD based on live Prices. It´s not working any more, because of Mt.Gox... but it was fun to code that time... keeping this link just for reminding... Thanks to everyone for donations done that time!
BTC: 1BQTankpeCZict849JRHxxYFnwZARV3YX7 | LTC: LecEsSJMYZK7wk493QvyNzA4BxHpXviAEA | PPC: PQdjfxTbjnXThwJ5bbEgJkc9GZcKpib9DM
Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 11:02:37 PM

Well I found a little bug in the second row-calculating. The max buy-price is different to my original excel-table. I am sure to used the correct formula, but the result is wrong, isn´t it?

A little tool to keep you informed or wake you up, if Mt.Gox reaches a defined price level and a calculator to convert  BTC or USD based on live Prices. It´s not working any more, because of Mt.Gox... but it was fun to code that time... keeping this link just for reminding... Thanks to everyone for donations done that time!
BTC: 1BQTankpeCZict849JRHxxYFnwZARV3YX7 | LTC: LecEsSJMYZK7wk493QvyNzA4BxHpXviAEA | PPC: PQdjfxTbjnXThwJ5bbEgJkc9GZcKpib9DM
StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 12:53:45 AM

Jessi,

Thank you very much.

Same way as I use it at the Moment...

How is about all the others? Do you use "buy" or "sell" columns?

2. you can calculate like a calculator, but giving a free price?

Hmm, but to keep it simple, how should this free-form calculator work if it should do dfferent things, like calculating fees?
And also, sometimes it there is no big spread between buy and sell possible and in those cases you should be able to calculate your "break even" price which means including your fees.

calculator.
That is not very hard to re-arange - harder is to "re-programm". ;-)

right field.
Ok...

Ok...

Ok. Sure.

Stew
This basically are all good Ideas and defenetly worth to think about and maybe to programm, to.

A little Part of this could be Part of the new Tool. (You may have checked out the Spreadsheet?)
I am thinking about this Tool as a kind of "break-even"-calculator, where you can see your
break-even (min or max) price for buy and sell after paying the fee for the transactions.
I did finalize the first rows of each block (first row for sell, second row for buy).
If they are working well, the other 4 rows each block would follow.
Finally we have 5 rows for buy and 5 for sell.
And they would summarize alltogether and you could see your profit/loss in different scenarios.
It would be behave like in excel, but a bit better, because there will be live prices included also and
you can work with it without installing anything (excep Browser+Flash-Player).
Also it could have it´s own alarm to keep you informed, if one of your scenarios will appear. ;-)

On the first Page there is a link at the Bottom "Here is a new Tool this is really early alpha. Click to open it."
Please remember it is really early early alpha and I decided to show it, because you all are invited to

Hey Jessi, I will check out your beta project ante get you some Feedback.

As for the calculator idea, will post a mockup graphic of the Alert Tool as I envision it
so you can see exactly what I mean.  With post later tonight.
BTW it's a very simple fix, just switching formulas in as all the entry fields are already in place.

Keep up the good work!
StewartJ

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 08:00:11 AM

2. you can calculate like a calculator, but giving a free price?  Yes!!!

Jessi, a free form btc calculator only has to do one thing: BTC Qty x BTC Price = Total $

User enters any figures he desires in any 2 fields to get results in the third. It's up to one's imagination
to use creatively, anything from entering current BTC trade value, to figuring out profits/losses based on
different prices.

And you can calculate fees:  example, to buy 100 BTC at 6.25 BTC Price I know I pay .45 BTC fee,
but what does that fee come to in dollars? It's quite easy, using the free form calculator enter
.45 BTC x 6.25 BTC Price which returns $2.8125. 

Do you see the advantages of having this?  And with the other calculator providing real-time BTC
price, that would be a double bonus.

Let me know your feedback.

Thanks for fixing the green and red arrows, that provides much more readability!

Stew
StewartJ

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 08:09:26 AM

Jessi I can't find the link to the new tool on your home page.

I noticed there are no scroll bars showing on my browser for your page, and there seems to be text clipped at the
bottom of the page.

Can you post the link on this thread?

Thanks, eager to check it out.

S
Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 12:05:23 PM

Jessi I can't find the link to the new tool on your home page.

I noticed there are no scroll bars showing on my browser for your page, and there seems to be text clipped at the
bottom of the page.

Can you post the link on this thread?

Thanks, eager to check it out.

S
Here is the link:

Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 12:12:34 PM

Jessi, a free form btc calculator only has to do one thing: BTC Qty x BTC Price = Total $

User enters any figures he desires in any 2 fields to get results in the third. It's up to one's imagination
to use creatively, anything from entering current BTC trade value, to figuring out profits/losses based on
different prices.
Than the calculator would behave like now, but you also would be able to place a free price?
That would be behave like the Mt.Gox Calculator?

And you can calculate fees:  example, to buy 100 BTC at 6.25 BTC Price I know I pay .45 BTC fee,
but what does that fee come to in dollars? It's quite easy, using the free form calculator enter
.45 BTC x 6.25 BTC Price which returns $2.8125. 
Therefore I have made the other Tool, because Fees are changing. For some it´s 0.3 for other 0.28% and so on...
And it´s hard to know and borring to calculate always by hand for which price you really buy and what you receive if you sell then
and especiacially what would be the price for which you should sell at minimum if you don´t want to make any loss (including fees).

Do you see the advantages of having this?  And with the other calculator providing real-time BTC
price, that would be a double bonus.

Let me know your feedback.
Ok. This is not to hard to solve.
So finally I would drop the left and the right column and make them free calculating, because no one uses buy/sell?
And the other calculator I can drop, too?

Thanks for fixing the green and red arrows, that provides much more readability!

Stew

You´re welcome.

StewartJ

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 04:00:50 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2012, 05:52:06 PM by StewartJ

Ok. This is not to hard to solve.
So finally I would drop the left and the right column and make them free calculating, because no one uses buy/sell?
And the other calculator I can drop, too?

You would not need to drop any columns, the calculators become 2 horizontal rows, instead of 3 columns.

Here is a mock-up with the 2 revised calculators in rows, so you can see what I mean:

The $6.32 price in red is a permanently auto-filled field taken from "Last" price. Users cannot alter that calculator field.
All the other calculator fields are available for entry by user.

Does this make sense?
Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 05:13:01 PM

You would not need to drop any columns, the calculators become 2 horizontal rows, instead of 3 columns.

Here is a mock-up with the 2 revised calculators in rows, so you can see what I mean:

The $6.32 price in red is a permanently filled-in field taken from "Last" price. Users cannot alter that calculator field.

All the other calculator fields can be used for calculations.

Does this make sense?
Ah. Ok. Now I understand what you mean. Yes, I can do this in one of the next versions.

Also I am thinking about more alarms...
For example a ask- and bid-volume-alarm or maybe only an indicator which shows the direction where it goes...?

StewartJ

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 05:26:51 PM

The $6.32 price in red is a permanently filled-in field taken from "Last" price. Users cannot alter that calculator field.

Does this make sense?
Ah. Ok. Now I understand what you mean. Yes, I can do this in one of the next versions.

For example a ask- and bid-volume-alarm or maybe only an indicator which shows the direction where it goes...?

A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Appreciate you seeing the usefulness of this!

Finally found the link to your fee tool.

I did have to maximize the window on my browser to see the rest of your home page, to find that link. The bottom part
of your page does not show up on my Firefox browser, like there are some scroll bars missing?  Other folks coming to
your site may be experiencing that clipping?

The fee tool looks very useful. I am playing with it now.

I did notice that it does "take over" the Alert/Calc tool mini window.  so I had to close the Alert Tool mini window
and re-open the fee tool again, now the fee tool window is proportionally correct.

S.
StewartJ

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 05:43:44 PM

Does this make sense?

Just to give you my feedback on how I use the alarms, I really only use the "Last" price alarm.

If I use the other Buy/Sell alarms, it's only because the spread between Buy/Last/Sell is so small I can get away with it.

And I like being able to monitor 3 different High and Low BTC price scenarios at the same time. But for me ideally, they would
all be based on "Last" price. Just my personal preference.
StewartJ

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 05:55:33 PM

Hey Jessi,

I think another donation will be on it's way soon.    Grin
Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 05:58:46 PM

A picture is worth a 1000 words.
This is definitely true. Smiley

Appreciate you seeing the usefulness of this!
Finally found the link to your fee tool.

I did have to maximize the window on my browser to see the rest of your home page, to find that link. The bottom part
of your page does not show up on my Firefox browser, like there are some scroll bars missing?  Other folks coming to
your site may be experiencing that clipping?

The fee tool looks very useful. I am playing with it now.

I did notice that it does "take over" the Alert/Calc tool mini window.  so I had to close the Alert Tool mini window
and re-open the fee tool again, now the fee tool window is proportionally correct.

S.
Did not see this behavior and I have to investigate this. Remember it´s really early alpha. I will change the behaviour of overtaking the window and missing scrollbars later.
Finally it could be coexist with the Alert-Tool.
The Tool is based on the Spreadsheet which I did send you and should finally fullfill the same.
But as you can see, there is missing one column, because I change the fields in both directions. This is helpful,
because there is no need for a separate column to calculate the total BTCs.
Anyway finally it could appear like the Spreadsheet and work a bit more "intelligent" by more opeations like using last price at start for example.

Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 06:05:19 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2012, 09:00:37 PM by Otoh

how about making a Zhoutonging calculator, as per formulae in his thread

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56797.0;all

entry field 1: Long / Short

entry field 2: Current Bid (changes to Ask if you've entered Short)

entry field 3: Net Value

entry field 4: Maintenance

entry field 5: Amount

entry field 6: BTC Balance

The calc then does the formulae:

F1 = Long
F2 - (F3 - F4) / (F5 + F6) = ZT

F1 = Short
F2 + (F3 - F4) / (F5 - F6) = ZT

refinements, to be able to also enter any Limit & Stop orders that you have between F2 & ZT

a couple of alarm fields perhaps & an appropriate sound effect for hitting the ZT price

I see that M4v3R has posted a script for this, but I like Jessi stand alone alarms/calcs without needing to keep the Bitcoinica page open, please to feel free to use any of my complementary feedbacks as testimonials etc & thanks again for your fab progs Smiley

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 06:07:11 PM

Just to give you my feedback on how I use the alarms, I really only use the "Last" price alarm.

If I use the other Buy/Sell alarms, it's only because the spread between Buy/Last/Sell is so small I can get away with it.

And I like being able to monitor 3 different High and Low BTC price scenarios at the same time. But for me ideally, they would
all be based on "Last" price. Just my personal preference.

Ok. Another Idea could be:
Three alarms, all based on "last"
A fast "cancel" button which clears the alarm to keep "fast" informed without deleting the values by hand.
This could be helpful if you have to be prepared for small slots and don´t have the time to fill in new values. The you can do it long before and if the first alarm is beginning, you can delete it and wait for the second with a single click.

Another thing could be more statisitcs.
For example I could do a block where then separated from last price the other prices could appear to keep you more informed.
The Buttons for disabling alarms I could place also in a separted layer for "preferences" with a little button in one Edge. In the other Edge a little help-Button which explaining the basics on a seperate layer.

Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 06:07:38 PM

Hey Jessi,

I think another donation will be on it's way soon.    Grin
Smiley Thank you like always!! Smiley

Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 06:12:49 PM

how about making a Zhoutonging calculator, as per formulae in his thread

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56797.0;all

entry field 1: Long / Short

entry field 2: Current Bid (changes to Ask if you've entered Short)

entry field 3: Net Value

entry field 4: Maintenance

entry field 5: Amount

entry field 6: BTC Balance

The calc then does the formulae:

F1 = Long
F2 - (F3 - F4) / (F5 + F6) = ZT

F1 = Short
F2 + (F3 - F4) / (F5 - F6) = ZT

refinements, to be able to also enter any Limit & Stop orders that you have between F2 & ZT

a couple of alarm fields perhaps & an appropriate sound effect for hitting the ZT price

I see that M4v3R has posted a script for this, but I like Jessi stand alone alarms/calcs without needing to keep the Bitcoinica page open, please to free free to use any of my complementary feedbacks as testimonials etc & thanks again for your fab progs Smiley
Yessss! Smiley This is something I also was thinking many times about.
BUT: Here I need MUCH MUCH help, because today I do not understand Bitcoinica completly.
With the Formula I can do it.
Ok. Let´s go a bit more systematic:

I guess we have different user-needs:
Some need just a simple alert
other are dealing only with Mt.Gox and need a helpful calculator
others are dealing with bitcoinica and need such a form
Maybe there are a few people who need all of it.

So what I would do:
First I finalize the Alert Tool during next hours (I hope)
Then the Mt.Gox Tool
And after it the Bitcoinica-Calculator

And if here are people around who find all of this helpful I would do a "all-inclusive-tool" which helps you in all cases.

Right?

Jessi (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 06:18:39 PM

Ah. And I forgot:
Any need for a Bitcoinica-Alarm?

Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 06:27:38 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2012, 08:58:43 PM by Otoh

Ah. And I forgot:
Any need for a Bitcoinica-Alarm?

absolutely essential I'd say  Wink

& glad that you like & had considered before the ZT-ing alarm/calc  Smiley

edit: plus Khou is most generous with rewarding apps that help Bitcoinica's clients

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: