Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:25:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 [1387] 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667215 times)
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 12:01:08 AM

I think a number of people have expressed interest in running a testnet node for the fork, to see if anything falls off it happens. If you wish to do so, you can fetch the latest master, which has the testnet fork set up for, hmmm, about 13 hours from now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 01:13:05 AM

Hey guys... so I made my first purchase using poloniex (usually I just use shapeshift) and I just tried to withdraw while using the payment ID and everything.  I've been waiting like 10 minutes now and I still haven't seen it in mymonero or on the block explorer, should I be worried?

I haven't used Polo in a while but as I remember it they send a confirmation email which you have to verify.  I don't believe withdrawals are instant although I remember them being quick.  No need to use a payment ID when sending to yourself, was the Payment ID generated by MyMonero?

Edit: the post I replied to was removed.  I assume the Monero was received.
Harpua

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Spastic dead-eyed hound.

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 01:30:54 AM

Hey guys... so I made my first purchase using poloniex (usually I just use shapeshift) and I just tried to withdraw while using the payment ID and everything.  I've been waiting like 10 minutes now and I still haven't seen it in mymonero or on the block explorer, should I be worried?

I haven't used Polo in a while but as I remember it they send a confirmation email which you have to verify.  I don't believe withdrawals are instant although I remember them being quick.  No need to use a payment ID when sending to yourself, was the Payment ID generated by MyMonero?

Yeah, I guess I was just getting worried since I have never used the site before.

But I have another question that struck me.

So I thought when you receive XMR your address will change every time?  Well the wallet address for mymonero has been the same since I created it... any reason for that?
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 01:44:35 AM

Yeah, I guess I was just getting worried since I have never used the site before.

So I thought when you receive XMR your address will change every time?  Well the wallet address for mymonero has been the same since I created it... any reason for that?

Your wallet address is the same, but how its recorded on the blockchain is totally random. If you take your wallet address and paste it into the search bar on moneroblocks.eu or chainradar, you won't get any results. The way I understand it, each time you make a transaction, your keys are used to generate a totally random address just for recording in the blockchain. Now, only your keys can let you know which totally random address is yours.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
XMRpromotions

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 02:15:24 AM

nioc is correct but I want to clarify the purpose of the payment id so you understand why some use it (like exchanges) while others do not.  If two people owe you exactly 100xmr and both claim they paid you but you only received one transaction for 100xmr how do you know which person paid you?

Asking someone to include a payment ID (like an exchange requests for deposits) allows you to easily connect the payment with the person you provided that payment ID.

When you are sending xmr to yourself from an exchange you know where the xmr came from and probably don't need a payment ID.

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
Harpua

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Spastic dead-eyed hound.

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 02:51:16 AM

nioc is correct but I want to clarify the purpose of the payment id so you understand why some use it (like exchanges) while others do not.  If two people owe you exactly 100xmr and both claim they paid you but you only received one transaction for 100xmr how do you know which person paid you?

Asking someone to include a payment ID (like an exchange requests for deposits) allows you to easily connect the payment with the person you provided that payment ID.

When you are sending xmr to yourself from an exchange you know where the xmr came from and probably don't need a payment ID.

I guess I'm a little slow when learning these things, but wouldn't you always want to include a payment ID when conducting business with someone in that case?  Even in regards to sending a payment to yourself from an exchange... if you don't include the payment ID when transacting XMR to your wallet, regardless of where it's coming from, wouldn't you always want to include it so you can be able to see it on the blockchain just for reassurance purposes?  Is there an advantage for leaving out the payment ID in some cases? Etc.
c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 03:11:52 AM
Last edit: November 23, 2015, 03:45:43 AM by c789

The only reason I've ever used a EDIT: transaction payment ID was to be able to prove that I was the sender of the transaction. If you don't need proof that you sent the transaction (such as from your online exchange wallet to your home wallet), then you don't need to use it. It's not always necessary. Of course you could always use it if you want.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 03:33:33 AM

nioc is correct but I want to clarify the purpose of the payment id so you understand why some use it (like exchanges) while others do not.  If two people owe you exactly 100xmr and both claim they paid you but you only received one transaction for 100xmr how do you know which person paid you?

I guess I'm a little slow when learning these things, but wouldn't you always want to include a payment ID when conducting business with someone in that case?  Even in regards to sending a payment to yourself from an exchange... if you don't include the payment ID when transacting XMR to your wallet, regardless of where it's coming from, wouldn't you always want to include it so you can be able to see it on the blockchain just for reassurance purposes?  Is there an advantage for leaving out the payment ID in some cases? Etc.

If you need reassurance, then yes.

However, in the whole process there's also a transaction ID. Basically, its an identifier for the whole transaction, and this transaction ID is public. So, if you were to send some monero to someone, your wallet software would say "yay you've sent money. Your transaction ID is (somestringofnumbers). So, if you go and paste this transaction ID on the blockchain, you can find your transaction. Of course, the transaction information is all cryptographically garbled nonsense thanks to ring signatures + stealth addresses.

The primary reason now for leaving out a payment ID is that its not encrypted / hidden / etc - its all public information (bitcoin style - whatever you push to the blockchain is whats recorded on the blockchain in more or less plain text... well, plain hex). So, this could create the same kind of information leak that can occur in bitcoin. Say, for instance, you constantly use a payment ID of s230909hfkhsdfs. Lets say you use this payment ID for years, for whatever reason. If it was ever leaked that this was your payment ID, then boom - now anyone can look at the blockchain and find which transactions are yours, ala bitcoin style. All of the ring signatures and stealth addressing is wasted.

It has been pointed out that the sloppy nature of payment IDs hints that these were tacked on in the final stages of cryptonote development when the original developers realized that their system was so good that it would be impossible to identify that a particular incoming transaction was from bob, if bob is sending money to a store or an exchange.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 04:12:42 AM

Your wallet address is the same, but how its recorded on the blockchain is totally random. If you take your wallet address and paste it into the search bar on moneroblocks.eu or chainradar, you won't get any results. The way I understand it, each time you make a transaction, your keys are used to generate a totally random address just for recording in the blockchain. Now, only your keys can let you know which totally random address is yours.

Yup, that's a good non-technical summary of how it works.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 04:14:06 AM

It has been pointed out that the sloppy nature of payment IDs hints that these were tacked on in the final stages of cryptonote development when the original developers realized that their system was so good that it would be impossible to identify that a particular incoming transaction was from bob, if bob is sending money to a store or an exchange.

It doesn't need to be hinted. It is documented on github that they were added after the Bytecoin release, once people actually started using it and realized there was no good way to send funds to an exchange or merchant. You would think they might have figured that out in two years on the darknet, but I guess not.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 04:29:51 AM

It doesn't need to be hinted. It is documented on github that they were added after the Bytecoin release, once people actually started using it and realized there was no good way to send funds to an exchange or merchant. You would think they might have figured that out in two years on the darknet, but I guess not.

Not all scammers think about usability as their focus. Focus is usually on lining their pockets.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 08:45:37 AM

FYI: testnet hard fork in a few hours

https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-announcements-and-editorials/2429/testnet-hard-fork-23rd-november-2015-block-624634

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 10:16:07 AM

Wrt payment IDs, I think luigi1111 developed "stealth" payment IDs, which are serialised into the designation address. He can probably elaborate on it better, but bottom line is that this will also hide the payment ID. I think the feature is included in 0.9.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 11:57:20 AM

Do I need to do port forwarding in my router to set up a full node as in Bitcoin 0.11?
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 12:03:12 PM

Do I need to do port forwarding in my router to set up a full node as in Bitcoin 0.11?

Yes
http://moneronodes.i2p.xyz/

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 12:38:35 PM

to clarify, mainnet is 18080, testnet is 28080. And make sure the port is forwarded all the way through your intranet - your modem sometimes has a firewall, your router has a firewall, and your OS probably has a firewall.

letsplayagame

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 01:45:55 AM

Congratulations on your successful testnet run. I will continue to follow your development efforts.

Chess, Bitcoin, Privacy and Freedom
Code:
 Make BTC Donations via XMR.TO or Shapeshift XMR: 47nMGDMQxEB8CWpWT7QgBLDmTSxgjm9831dVeu24ebCeH8gNPG9RvZAYoPxW2JniKjeq5LXZafwdPWH7AmX2NVji3yYKy76 
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 06:25:20 AM

So I was traveling all day today and couldn't really follow what happened on the test run... Can anyone give me a TLDR version of everything that happened? I think everything went smoothly but don't really know. So glad I don't really have to know how to run these types of things and know that monero is in good hands with active devs and experts in the crypto world.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 08:56:02 AM

So I was traveling all day today and couldn't really follow what happened on the test run... Can anyone give me a TLDR version of everything that happened? I think everything went smoothly but don't really know. So glad I don't really have to know how to run these types of things and know that monero is in good hands with active devs and experts in the crypto world.

See beneath:

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
funnyman21

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 02:25:47 AM

See beneath:

The test run sounds like it was a resounding success!
Pages: « 1 ... 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 [1387] 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: