Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:47:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 [344] 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4668423 times)
equipoise

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 04:59:50 PM

I'm getting the following errors with the daemon. The blockchain has synchronised but I just get this all the time now. Can anyone help?

Nothing to worry about:

^The bug is well known to developers and they'll fix it, but it's not a high priority now. Basically your daemon is flooding other pears (and your) connection and those pears are disconnecting you. When you see a few of those in a line and then they stop for a while it's fine, but when you see huge amount (obviously you are monitoring your daemon) your best option is to exit the daemon (use "exit" or "q" in order to save the blockchain first) and start it again. This way you'll stop flooding the other pears connection (and yours too).

Not a high priority now? So it's ok for pools to restart daemons several times a day initiating disconnects? I am silent about bandwidth usage.
Monero devs are working hard to address this and other problems with the code. This is a new technology and is not a bitcoin clone with all those issues already fixed. Stay calm and keep mining.

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:04:11 PM

I'm getting the following errors with the daemon. The blockchain has synchronised but I just get this all the time now. Can anyone help?

Nothing to worry about:

^The bug is well known to developers and they'll fix it, but it's not a high priority now. Basically your daemon is flooding other pears (and your) connection and those pears are disconnecting you. When you see a few of those in a line and then they stop for a while it's fine, but when you see huge amount (obviously you are monitoring your daemon) your best option is to exit the daemon (use "exit" or "q" in order to save the blockchain first) and start it again. This way you'll stop flooding the other pears connection (and yours too).

Not a high priority now? So it's ok for pools to restart daemons several times a day initiating disconnects? I am silent about bandwidth usage.
Monero devs are working hard to address this and other problems with the code. This is a new technology and is not a bitcoin clone with all those issues already fixed. Stay calm and keep mining.

Great! Thanks. :-)
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:16:24 PM

Almost none of the failure modes of bitcoin apply to monero because the code base and algorithms and development teams are about as close to non-overlapping as you can get.
Also, they are best suited to distinct markets, bitcoin to the transparent instant global liquidity market, and monero to the dark instant global liquidity market.  
Monero is capable of fulfilling almost all use-cases for bitcoin qua currency.  If bitcoin fails, I imagine most of that usage would move to monero, if monero were the clear runner-up at that time.

I don't see it as a very efficient hedge right now, because speculative activity will correlate highly, but it is definitely a diversification in the portfolio-effect sense, and in some scenarios it could become a nearly perfect hedge.

Thanks.  I see monero the same way, and further it looks to me to be a front runner for several reasons in the space it is competing to inhabit.  And the space is inevitably going to be filled. That pandora's box of dark money was knocked on by bitcoin and something will force it all the way open, and fairly soon.

It's kind of fun to see what the current frontrunners in market cap or hype have in common.  GUIs for one.  More flash and buzz.  All while monero hides in the shadows saying "move along...  nothing to see here...".  It is poetic IMHO. Smiley
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:21:34 PM

Grin We will be listed at MP next Mondat Cheesy

Is this confirmed?
Mintpal chooses most voted every monday, so it happens if XMR keeps its #1 spot in the list.

Yeah but considering the extra coding that would go into adding a CN coin...?

This is a bit of an UGH factor for seeing it added to exchanges.  However it has been rightly speculated that:

1.  Mintpal wouldn't put it up were it not (getting) ready to add it.
2.  The money votes could hire a pretty good freelancer to do the work if they don't have time themselves.

I am not personally too concerned with Mintpal one way or the other.  I do want to see more market liquidity eventually.  
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:49:43 PM

Is this confirmed?
Mintpal chooses most voted every monday, so it happens if XMR keeps its #1 spot in the list.

This is a bit of an UGH factor for seeing it added to exchanges.  However it has been rightly speculated that:

1.  Mintpal wouldn't put it up were it not (getting) ready to add it.
2.  The money votes could hire a pretty good freelancer to do the work if they don't have time themselves.

I am not personally too concerned with Mintpal one way or the other.  I do want to see more market liquidity eventually.  

I've just asked mintpal about the implementation of Monero. We've finally had a reply!!!!

[12:37:55] <darlidada> Hi MintPal-Jay : if Monero is first on voting list on monday are you gonna be able to add it? because its not a bitcoin clone, its total new technology so maybe its gonna be hard, are u aware of it and of the work that needs to be done to implement it? I ask because at the moment investors are betting a lot of bitcoins to make it first on monday! It would be a shame if things doesnt work out

[13:19:46] <@MintPal-Jay> darlidada: We haven't coded it yet, but might do sooner than later given its climb, tomorrow would be a bit too soon

From what they told me, I'm sure it will be done on Monday. I think they dont add it now because they want to get as much fees as possible out of this scrypt thing coin
suchnekky

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:56:53 PM

Guys this coin has so much potential. we really need a GUI wallet, this is a huge priority right now. the average person needs to be able to save there coins on there own computer. leaving them on exchanges is risky. and i dont think million dollar investors want to bring out ms dos command lines, it just makes this feel really unprofessional. Im willing to fund it, im sure many more are also, we need to crowd fund someone to smash out a GUI wallet.

You guys are forgetting what monero is, its a coin, a currency, which needs to be easily used. how many people would use debit cards if you had to do a double backflip and solve a rubix cube in 10 seconds before you use it. none. we need ease of use. if the coins not usable then its nothing, just a chunk of irrelevant data in a blockchain.

If we have a 5million dollar market cap on a coin which is basically unusable to the average user, imagine what we could have with a professional approach to it? 100million? easy.

• ⓢⓤⓒⓗⓝⓔⓚⓚⓨ •
coine_smithe

Activity: 322

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:07:00 PM

Guys remember to keep voting for Monero on Mintpal every hour. If it gets out voted I might even personally pay for it to remain on top. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on that either.
slavo

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:08:36 PM

Guys this coin has so much potential. we really need a GUI wallet, this is a huge priority right now. the average person needs to be able to save there coins on there own computer. leaving them on exchanges is risky. and i dont think million dollar investors want to bring out ms dos command lines, it just makes this feel really unprofessional. Im willing to fund it, im sure many more are also, we need to crowd fund someone to smash out a GUI wallet.

You guys are forgetting what monero is, its a coin, a currency, which needs to be easily used. how many people would use debit cards if you had to do a double backflip and solve a rubix cube in 10 seconds before you use it. none. we need ease of use. if the coins not usable then its nothing, just a chunk of irrelevant data in a blockchain.

If we have a 5million dollar market cap on a coin which is basically unusable to the average user, imagine what we could have with a professional approach to it? 100million? easy.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=589561

some reading for you ser  Wink
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:10:34 PM

Looks like you haven't read the latest Monero Missive, here you go:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg7386715#msg7386715

Point 4 specifically should mostly address your concerns. I think we all want to get to the 'same place', but just don't expect everything to  happen magically overnight  Grin
~ Myagui

pooltobe

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:22:11 PM

Searching a place to mine Monero?  Grin

Spread the hashes !  Cheesy

XMR MINING POOL >> http://mro.poolto.be

use : stratum+tcp://mro.poolto.be:3001

Join us on iRC: #poolto.be @ irc.freenode.net

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23poolto.be

Happy Mining !  Smiley

Fee: 0.25% !!!
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 06:22:36 PM

Currently Monero uses ~1.6gb - 2.2gb of RAM. Everyone has to run a full node, and if you have incoming ports (manually or via UPNP) Monero can easily max out a 20mbps line. Is that the experience we want to deliver to end users?

surfer43

Activity: 560

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:42:12 PM

MoneroPool.org is planning on reopening after the improvements to node-cryptonote-pool are open sourced. Breaking your own license heh..
uvt9

Activity: 300

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:51:50 PM

Currently Monero uses ~1.6gb - 2.2gb of RAM. Everyone has to run a full node, and if you have incoming ports (manually or via UPNP) Monero can easily max out a 20mbps line. Is that the experience we want to deliver to end users?

I'd like to know when will these problem sorted out. BCN has just got a new update with proper DB replacing blockchain.bin. Once they release the source for this function can Monero use it as reference to speed up the work ?
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 07:23:56 PM

I'd like to know when will these problem sorted out. BCN has just got a new update with proper DB replacing blockchain.bin. Once they release the source for this function can Monero use it as reference to speed up the work ?

As far as I can tell, they've got a closed-source implementation that allows for only part of the blockchain to be loaded into RAM at runtime. That is NOT the same as a "proper" embedded DB replacing the flat file.

Even so, whilst Monero may have initially been based on Bytecoin's reference implementation, we've already diverged from their reference code. We are well on the way to our own embedded database implementation, so it is unnecessary to implement whatever Bytecoin does. Specifically, we evaluating the performance of several databases for our workload, and will be producing an overview of the results in a few weeks that expounds on the process and on the reasons for choosing one embedded database over another.

sorryforthat

Activity: 994

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:18:46 PM

As far as I can tell, they've got a closed-source implementation that allows for only part of the blockchain to be loaded into RAM at runtime. That is NOT the same as a "proper" embedded DB replacing the flat file.

I am sure the BCN guys could impliment a DB system to support your idea but this would deverge from the initial reason for the blockchain being loaded fully. I think the numbers have been crunched to determine how much actually has to be loaded to ensure its rudiment design.
iso3789

Activity: 55
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:06:24 AM

hey guys!

I want to keep my moneros on a save place i thought of a cold storage on an usb stick, after i heard from the theft from poloniex i
want to move them from that site, it's not secure enough for me.

So i've tryed to move 0.1 Moneros from poloniex to my wallet on my pc. Everything worked fine.
After that i wanted to send 0,1 moneros back to poloniex, i've send it from the wallet and i didn't get anything on poloniex,
it's 2 days ago that i've made this transaction. I read something on the support side that there are some issues with the small amount transactions,
so where are this 0,1 Monero know will i get them ever back and is it sure that larger transaction can't get lost??
Or is it because of an issue with poloniex?

I want to keep my moneros save but i wan't to have the abbility to trade them when i need it.

So how do you handle this?
Did you have any fails with withdrawls to poloniex or small amounts under 1XMR?
darkota

Activity: 770

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:10:59 AM

Even so, whilst Monero may have initially been based on Bytecoin's reference implementation, we've already diverged from their reference code. We are well on the way to our own embedded database implementation, so it is unnecessary to implement whatever Bytecoin does. Specifically, we evaluating the performance of several databases for our workload, and will be producing an overview of the results in a few weeks that expounds on the process and on the reasons for choosing one embedded database over another.

I think it may be best that you also do something similar....

I know devs want to release things only when there perfect, but if you keep a community waiting, theyll eventually lose interest. Best to release a gui wallet soon even if its not to your 100% liking, you can always update/fix it later, that ensures no losses of interest.
fox19891989

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:25:15 AM

Is this confirmed?

Right, if it will be NO.1, MP won't hesitate to list it
othe

Activity: 532

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:27:18 AM

I know devs want to release things only when there perfect, but if you keep a community waiting, theyll eventually lose interest. Best to release a gui wallet soon even if its not to your 100% liking, you can always update/fix it later, that ensures no losses of interest.

There are gui wallets already which arent 100% done but work, why dont u use one of them?

And no it makes absoutely no sense to release a half-assed db implementation for us, it costs more time in the end than writing something proper for long term use.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:29:50 AM

There are gui wallets already which arent 100% done but work, why dont u use one of them?

And no it makes absoutely no sense to release a half-assed db implementation for us which, it costs more time in the end than writing something proper for long term use.

Not only that but we don't even need a database so urgently because our block chain is much smaller. Granted it is growing faster because people are actually using XMR -- and therefore creating transactions -- to a much greater degree. We'll be ready with a well-designed, well-implemented, and well-tested database implementation when it is needed.
Pages: « 1 ... 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 [344] 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: