Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:06:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 [359] 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667422 times)
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 05:34:10 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2014, 06:02:46 PM by BitCoinDream

Mandatory upgrade to 0.8.8!
››› Windows 64-bitWindows 32-bitOSXLinux •  Source code ‹‹‹

monero.cc

Monero EconomyMonero SupportMonero MiningMonero Speculation
#monero  •  #monero-dev  •  #monero-otc

Monero (XMR) is a new privacy-centric coin using the CryptoNote protocol (see below for more information). The open source reference implementation of CryptoNote was coded from scratch based on the CryptoNote reference implementation, and is not a fork of Bitcoin.

Monero aims to be a fungible and untraceable digital medium of exchange. It intrinsically has a higher degree of anonymity than Bitcoin or any of its various forks. It was launched on April 18, 2014 (preannounced and no premine/IPO/etc.).

Announcements

June 18 - Monero Missives #3 includes an ongoing peer review of the CryptoNote whitepaper and an update on transaction auto-splitting and the GUI wallet.

June 10 - Monero Missives #2 includes the release of a new deterministic mnemonic wallet feature that allows easy wallet backup as well as the creation of an offline, cold wallet.

June 2 - This week's updates are in the Monero Missives #1.

May 29 - Mandatory upgrade to 0.8.8 to fix an overly aggressive block size penalty. Please do not send funds using the older version of the wallet software, as it will use the incorrect fee, and your transaction will take several days to either arrive or fall out the mempool.

Features

• Untraceable payments
  • Unlinkable transactions
  • Blockchain analysis resistance
  • Adaptive parameters

Details in the CryptoNote white paper.

Specifications

• PoW algorithm: CryptoNight [1]
  • Max supply: ~18.4 million [2]
  • Block reward: Smoothly varying [3]
  • Block time: 60 seconds
  • Difficulty: Retargets at every block

[1] CPU + GPU mining (about 1:1 performance for now). Memory-bound by design using AES encryption and several SHA-3 candidates.
[2] Actual number of atomic units is M = 264 - 1. A minimum subsidy may be implemented in the future with <1% inflation to preserve mining incentives.
[3] Uses a recurrence relation. Block reward = (M - A) * 2-20 * 10-12, where A = current circulation. Roughly 86% mined in 4 years (see graph).

Official downloads and links

Getting Started - Follow the guide to set up the software and start mining.

Source and binaries

Blockchain (faster sync)

Development
Open-source GUI - bounty 2600 XMR

Donations for general development

XMR:
Code:
46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8aHYjA3jk3o1Bv16em
viewkey: e422831985c9205238ef84daf6805526c14d96fd7b059fe68c7ab98e495e5703

BTC:
Code:
1FhnVJi2V1k4MqXm2nHoEbY5LV7FPai7bb

Unofficial downloads and links

GUI
      All current GUIs are in beta, but they should be fairly safe to use because they work through bitmonerod and simplewallet from the main code.

Miners

Forum

Exchanges

Pools
      Spread around the hashrate! Join the smaller pools to improve network health.
      To be mentioned here, a pool must at least 1) be working 2) be open-source 3) not have a large portion of the network.

Explorers

Other tools:

FAQ

What is CryptoNote?

CryptoNote is the technology that allows creation of privacy-centric cryptocurrencies. You can visit their website here. The level of anonymity provided by CryptoNote isn't possible with Bitcoin code base by design. Bytecoin (BCN) was the CryptoNote reference implementation, and XMR is based on BCN's code.

Two of the main features of CryptoNote are ring signatures that mask sender identities by mixing and one-time keys that make transactions unlinkable. Their combined effect gives a high degree of anonymity without any extra effort on the part of the user.

Unlike Bitcoin, your funds are not held in the address you give out to others. Instead, every time you receive a payment it goes to an unlinkable address generated with random numbers. When you decide to spend the funds in that one-time address, the amount will be broken down and the components will be indistinguishable from identical outputs in the blockchain.

For example if 556.44 XMR are sent, the protocol will break it down into 500 + 50 + 6 + 0.4 + 0.04 and a ring signature will be performed with other 500's, 50's, 6's, 0.4's, and 0.04's in the blockchain. Unlike the "CoinJoin" mixing method, CryptoNote mixes outputs not transactions. This means no other senders need to be participating with you at the same time or with the same amounts. Any arbitrary amount sent at any time can always be rendered fundamentally indistinguishable (a mathematical proof is given in the white paper).

The degree of anonymity is also a choice rather than decided by the protocol: do you want to be hidden as one among five or one among fifty? The size of the signature grows linearly as O(n+1) with the ambiguity so greater anonymity is paid for with higher fees to miners.

Ring signatures are explained below. Reproduced from CryptoNote:

A normal signature looks like this. There's only one participant, which allows one-to-one mapping.

A ring signature obscures identities because it only proves that a signer belongs to a group.

This allows a high level of anonymity in cryptocurrency transactions. You can think of it as decentralized and trustless mixing.

How does this compare to other anonymous solutions?

Ring signatures originate from the work of Rivest et al. in 2001 and the implementation in CryptoNote relies in particular on Fujisaki and Suzuki's work on traceable ring signatures. There are two other anonymity implementations currently available or in development. One is ZeroCoin/ZeroCash's use of zero-knowledge proofs. The others are based on gmaxwell's CoinJoin idea (such as mixing services for Bitcoin or the altcoin Darkcoin).

1. Comparison with ZeroCoin and ZKP-based approaches:

You can read about ZeroCoin and zero-knowledge proofs (ZKP) here. The ZK environment allows an anonymity set that includes everyone in the network because the validity of an output can be proven without knowing the corresponding public key until it is spent. The largest risk is that this is recent research-level cryptography that hasn't been subjected to years of cryptanalysis, so exploits may emerge down the road. Ring signatures are much simpler and more mature, with many peer-reviewed papers published over more than a decade.

Other issues with ZKP include the RSA private key used to initiate the accumulator, which must be trusted to be destroyed by the generating party. It also obscures the entire economy, not just sender/receiver identities. If the ZK system is compromised, then an attacker can continuously spend coins that don't exist using false proofs. This damage is hidden from everybody due to total blinding and consequently at any given time it's not possible to know if the network has already been compromised. There is a tradeoff between these inherent risks and the maximal anonymity set provided by ZKP. CryptoNote aims for a different balance through the dual layers of privacy provided by one-time keys and ring signatures.

2. Comparison with CoinJoin-based approaches:

XMR is more qualitatively similar to mixing implementations like CoinJoin. The differences arise in the departure from the Bitcoin protocol, which allows XMR to use new cryptography to provide decentralized and trustless mixing of superior quality. The critical problem with mixing services is the need to trust the operators. As an example, blockchain.info's mixer gives the following disclaimer: "However if the server was compromised or under subpoena it could be force to keep logs. If this were to happen although you haven't gained any privacy you haven't lost any either."

The CoinJoin-inspired Darkcoin performs mixing with selected "masternodes" since it still uses ordinary signatures that can be mapped one-to-one. The motivation is that a randomly selected node is less likely than a single service to exhibit bad faith (such as keeping logs) . In practice, a few VPS companies host the vast majority of nodes and this approach relies on the integrity and good behavior of these nodes. XMR's more fundamental cryptographic approach doesn't have these vulnerabilities and the quality of anonymity is much higher.

XMR's ring signatures are also far more secure and convenient than CoinJoin because they mix outputs not transactions. This means a transaction doesn't involve waiting around for other senders to mix with. Nor is a user restricted to mixing only if others are sending the same amount. Arbitrary amounts can be sent at any time without anyone else's participation. This feature makes a timing analysis of the blockchain useless.

Overview of a transaction

Bob decides to spend an output, which was sent to the one-time public key. He needs Extra (1), TxOutNumber (2), and his Account private key (3) to recover his one-time private key (4).

When sending a transaction to Carol, Bob generates its Extra value by random (5). He uses Extra (6), TxOutNumber (7) and Carol's Account public key (8) to get her Output public key (9).

In the input Bob hides the link to his output among the foreign keys (10). To prevent double-spending he also packs the Key image, derived from his One-time private key (11).

Finally, Bob signs the transaction, using his One-time private key (12), all the public keys (13) and Key Image (14). He appends the resulting Ring Signature to the end of the transaction (15).

Other

I want to help with development / design / marketing...

Please PM us. Wink

I want to integrate XMR in my sevices (pools, exchanges, etc.)...

Please ask for assistance in #monero-dev on Freenode.

Translations

中文

Pyccкий

Português

Français

Español

References

CryptoNote technology page: https://cryptonote.org/inside.php
      CryptoNote white paper: https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf
      CryptoNote forum: https://forum.cryptonote.org/[/list]

If the coin is untraceable, how come the merchant will know whether the customer has paid in this coin ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
      Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
      Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
      Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
      Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
      Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
      onemorebtc

Activity: 266
      Merit: 250

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 05:35:34 PM

If the coin is untraceable, how come the merchant will know whether the customer has paid in this coin ?

In BTC you only have a private key which allows you to spend.
      Monero uses ring signatures which means you have two keys: a viewkey and a privatekey.

you need the viewkey to see incoming transactions and the privatekey to spent them.

so the merchant uses his viewkey to see when he gets paid

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
      Jshank

Activity: 75
      Merit: 10

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 05:47:39 PM

What version drivers are you using? 13.12?? If not thats why your hash rate is lower.

using 13.12  Huh What should my max VM be?

I dont know man, It could be just your card? I am using PowerColor 280x and I get 466-468. I did not touch memory settings, here is my config:

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

NsGpuCNMiner.exe -o stratum+tcp://

Difference between set and setx? Still running 360h/s on stock GV-R928XWF3-3GD (rev. 2.0). What are your VM settings?... if you dont mind me asking Tongue Do I need any additional downloads?
      shojayxt
      Legendary

Activity: 896
      Merit: 1001

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 05:49:59 PM

Is this coin better or worse than BBR ? ,BBR has made lot of new improvement

YES!
      ok, many people said so too ,BRR came out later  ,but made  more innovation

BBR has a private gpu miner since their algoritihm isn't Cryptonote(which doesnt have a private gpu miner, and is mostly cpu only), it's Wild Keccak. According to posts I've read, the guys using that Private Gpu Miner get as much as 7,000 BBR per day, per person...I also saw a 80,000 BBR sell order a few days ago....

Boolberry has been instamined just like quarkcoin and darkcoin.

Not really fair to say that about BBR.  XMR was mined by a few people for the first week using hundreds of EC2 instances.  There were some that mined at least 50,000 XMR in the beginning before the coin got on the radar.  Then there were people buying up tens of thousands of coins before it was on an exchange and was dirt cheap.

There is no need to start a "this coin is better than that coin" between XMR and BBR.  The two coins are both better than the plethora of bitcoin clones.  They seem to be working together and sharing the improvements they make.  The best thing for both coins is cooperation and support from the users of both coins.  I'm guilty myself of taking sides but I hold both coins and want them both to succeed.  I think cryptonote coins are the future of anonymous coins but they have a tough road ahead taking the reigns from a certain coin.  Cooperation will make that road much easier to travel.

Not true...only 7% of all XMR has been mined and most by people on their cpu's, EC2 only came into the game later on, weeks after XMR was first launched and had a decent size community(after it changed from Bitmonero).... I was here since the beginning looking around, thought I didnt buy any xmr sadly.

Though I agree, there's no need to have a fight between two innovative coins. PCE OUT.

I'm not going to comment again regarding this but I know for a fact that you are wrong about the EC2's.

But yeah, no need for squabbles between cryptonote coins.

magalhanze

Activity: 368

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 05:51:52 PM

link's not loading, it stays forever in mega's spinning ball...
      superresistant
      Legendary

Activity: 2128
      Merit: 1120

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 06:01:27 PM
      Last edit: June 21, 2014, 06:21:13 PM by superresistant

740 Million? Are you kidding me? Diff is too high! =D

I was complaining when the diff was 300K and getting crazy when it reached 1 Million.

2014-May-03 01:41:56.368798 [P2P1]BH: 22456, DIFF: 1005551, HR: 16759 H/s
      Wow!
      Shit, it is too much for most people.

BitCoinDream please do not quote the whole original post.
      You can add a transaction ID to the transaction. That way we can verify.
      mitsarasss

Activity: 574

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 06:09:01 PM

We may still be 1st in mintpal, but the second coin is still trying to reach us. Keep on voting guys!!!
      https://www.mintpal.com/voting
      trip96

Activity: 55
      Merit: 0

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 06:39:38 PM

I also have issues mining with my 280x. Seems to be a problem between miner and specific hardware on 280x. We are discussing it here with Claymore

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=638915.new#new
      Mumbles

Activity: 50
      Merit: 0

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 06:46:40 PM

I would be extremely cautious about trying to use this exchange. They "lost" several deposits and never resolved the tickets after a year. Basically stealing. Stay away.

I dont know if you guys are in the know but BTER offers a 1% instant bonus on your XMR deposit. Meaning that if you deposit 1K there, you got 10 XMR for free. Instant. Nothing asked! It's like being given 10 btc from the beginning of 2013 FOR FREE.

source: https://bter.com/myaccount/deposit/XMR

Edit: I did it and I confirm it works. I dont know if there are any rules to forbid its exploitation though.
      AceCobra1

Activity: 364

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 06:49:40 PM

Is it me or is http://monero.crypto-pool.fr/#

Not working properly ?
      superresistant
      Legendary

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 06:56:10 PM

Not working properly ?

The website is deactivated during the update. No stats available for few minutes.

The pool is still working. You are still connected, you get work and send shares.

AceCobra1

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 07:01:55 PM

Not working properly ?

The website is deactivated during the update. No stats available for few minutes.

The pool is still working. You are still connected, you get work and send shares.

Oh - is there an update for monero or is it just website maintenance ?
      sk00t3r

Activity: 192
      Merit: 100

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 07:10:04 PM

What version drivers are you using? 13.12?? If not thats why your hash rate is lower.

using 13.12  Huh What should my max VM be?

I dont know man, It could be just your card? I am using PowerColor 280x and I get 466-468. I did not touch memory settings, here is my config:

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

NsGpuCNMiner.exe -o stratum+tcp://

Difference between set and setx? Still running 360h/s on stock GV-R928XWF3-3GD (rev. 2.0). What are your VM settings?... if you dont mind me asking Tongue Do I need any additional downloads?

I did not touch my VM settings. Windows 7 64 bit 4GB ram Xeon CPU PowerColor 280x. I know different cards use different memory, mine has Samsung, I don't know what others have and how they perform. I wish I knew why your hashrate was lower, but I have no special settings. Just downloaded and ran.
      TR8888

Activity: 525
      Merit: 500

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 07:19:33 PM

Roll on Mintpal on Monday Smiley
      superresistant
      Legendary

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 07:25:06 PM

Not working properly ?

It's an update for our pool only.
      There will be some improvements in the coming days.
      AceCobra1

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 07:26:18 PM

Not working properly ?

What type of improvements? Faster hash rates ? ;-) You must be raking it in now that you have so many miners Smiley
      superresistant
      Legendary

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 07:32:16 PM
      Last edit: June 21, 2014, 07:47:41 PM by superresistant

We are getting DDOSed now...

Fuck that shit.  Angry

What type of improvements? Faster hash rates ? ;-) You must be raking it in now that you have so many miners Smiley

Yes, it is related to hashrate improvement but I cannot reveal it now Wink
      AceCobra1

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 07:38:19 PM

Fuck that shit.

If you guys are getting DDOSed, how come my miners seems to be still working? I am not checking my rigs but checking the power output from my socket and has been the same since a few hours ago ?
      hedgy73
      Legendary

Activity: 1414
      Merit: 1077

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 07:38:28 PM

Keep geting this problem when running bitmonerod. Application keeps showing red wording and disconnections.

Also dont have a c:\users\tom folder anywhere?

Any ideas anyone please. Running version 0.8.8.1
      superresistant
      Legendary

View Profile
      June 21, 2014, 07:42:04 PM

Fuck that shit.
      If you guys are getting DDOSed, how come my miners seems to be still working? I am not checking my rigs but checking the power output from my socket and has been the same since a few hours ago ?

You can still mine a bit during a DDOS attack but not everyone.
      If the attack is strong enough, everyone get connection problems and if it last long enough we completely lose connection.

EDIT : We just ordered a fucking beefy server to discourage DDOSers.
      Pages: « 1 ... 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 [359] 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 ... 2123 »
        Print  

Jump to: