Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:00:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Here it comes  (Read 6562 times)
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 12:31:05 AM

good call Grin, set your Jessi alarms & chill to some Doves sounds

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 12:51:38 AM

I honestly don't have big expectations from the TV show. It's a fictional drama that has a viewer base which probably don't understand nor care about Bitcoin even after watching the show. I'm of course interested in the show but expecting the prices to skyrocket because of it is expecting too much. It'll depend on how the show is but to me there is a low possibility of it being very beneficial to Bitcoin. However I could be wrong and I'm happy if that happens to be the case. We'll see.

But this doesn't change the fact that we're going up, maybe not rocketing up but Bitcoin is way too significant and a fundamentally growing technology to ever be stable at single digits. The market cap is simply way too low at these levels, at this point in time.

This year Bitcoin will go to a whole another level, for me it's totally insignificant if it happens next week or 6 months from now. I'm not a trader unless I'm forced to do it, I'm an investor and an enterpreneur. I plan on not selling a single satoshi unless I actually need the money or am forced to start trading due to an apparent downtrend/bubble collapse. The ideal scenario would be that I could hold my BTC for long enough to simply use it directly when I need it, without the need to ever change it into fiat again.

This ideal scenario is of course quite optimistic, I believe we will see a couple of bubbles before I'm able to use BTC for the majority of my purchases. This will mean that at some point I have to hide the bull temporarily, once again. Happy to be a bull on all accounts right now though, expecting it to last for quite a while. The next wave of interest will be hell of a lot bigger than the first big wave because something like this doesn't just come back from the dead if it's nothing, investors will be more interested than ever before.

There is another possibility that I'm considering though and this is that we could go very high without it actually being a bubble, for the most part. A good part of the "Bitcoin collapse" was because there were a good number of serious incidents that basically caused a serious reliability issue for the whole economy. The market was overbought, yes, but without all of those incidents I simply can't believe it would've ever gone as low as $2.

So we will have some kind of a bubble for sure but I think it's very likely that without multiple serious incidents we will never have the type of bubble we had in June and after. It's simply not going to happen. Bitcoin could, and I'm serious about this, simply go up and up, with small and some bigger corrections on the way of course, until it reaches the point where it doesn't see significant growth anymore, from either investments or usage. This could take approximately 5-10 years.

I simply don't think that it's possible for us to see Bitcoin go up 1000% and then lose 90% of its value. Unless a lot of very bad shit happens, just like we saw happen in 2011. So my advice is to look for this bad shit very carefully, if it doesn't come I think it's a good idea to be long on bitcoins, very long in fact.

Post of the Year.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 01:34:15 AM

Here it comes. Friday has begun. We had the bear trap, and there go the parabolic replenishing asks...

I saw this pattern just twice before. Both in June. One burst the bubble, the other started that bust we all remember too well. The second peak of the bursting was on a Thursday, I remember very well how I was sitting in a lecture when it peaked just below the all-time high, and it just missed one sell between 31 and 32, where I was being just one dollar too greedy on one of my orders.

You bulls better pray I'm seeing ghosts, or that there is someone to change the rules this time. A Millionaire, a TV viewer invasion, or something else of the kind.

To make it clear: no more balanced position, I already sold over 50% and have now officially turned bear again.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 01:41:59 AM

Here it comes. Friday has begun. We had the bear trap, and there go the parabolic replenishing asks...

I saw this pattern just twice before. Both in June. One burst the bubble, the other started that bust we all remember too well. The second peak of the bursting was on a Thursday, I was sitting in a lecture when it peaked just below the all-time high, and it just missed one sell between 31 and 32, where I was being just one dollar too greedy on one of my orders.

You bulls better pray I'm seeing ghosts, or that there is someone to change the rules this time. A Millionaire, a TV viewer invasion, or something else of the kind.

To make it clear: no more balanced position, I already sold over 50% and have now officially turned bear again.

Yikes.  Hopefully we don't go below $2.

Edit:  Actually, if you're right, then we probably will go below $2.  Everyone out!

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
ArsenShnurkov
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 06:06:16 AM

This year Bitcoin will go to a whole another level

Three years from start ant there is no tutorials on how to integrate bitcoins into the common web engines.
Nothing significant will happen in this year also.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 06:14:17 AM

This year Bitcoin will go to a whole another level

Three years from start ant there is no tutorials on how to integrate bitcoins into the common web engines.
Nothing significant will happen in this year also.

how to integrate bitcoins into a common webpage:

197SaHNSQpNZXKssR8v5pfUnkTx5UZRaYN

end of tutorial...

if you'd liek to have a more nifty approach:
http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2011/12/monetizing-blog-with-bitcoin.html

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 06:21:10 AM

I saw this pattern just twice before. Both in June. One burst the bubble, the other started that bust we all remember too well. The second peak of the bursting was on a Thursday, I was sitting in a lecture when it peaked just below the all-time high, and it just missed one sell between 31 and 32, where I was being just one dollar too greedy on one of my orders.

Edit:  Actually, if you're right, then we probably will go below $2.  Everyone out!

Oh, please let it happen... I really need to stock up again. The kiddos will be getting a bit extra in their savings addresses. Cheesy

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
StewartJ

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 06:40:44 AM

Oh, please let it happen... I really need to stock up again. The kiddos will be getting a bit extra in their savings addresses. Cheesy

God, a bitcoin at $2? My powder is dry and ready.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 07:44:43 AM

The hype about 'bitcoin on TV' (not really, but anyway) and one small booth at CES had already been well and truly priced into bitcoin's price.  We'll need further product or service announcements or the correction downwards will continue.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 02:32:35 PM

I'm well aware of the numerous possibilities that could lead to Bitcoin's demise. The most severe ones are fundamental technical problems, legal problems and the possibility of a new technology that renders Bitcoin obsolete. These are the big issues and challenges which we need to keep a close eye on.

It has also been proven that the issues don't have to be catastrophical for the exchange rate to crash. None of the bad stuff that happened in 2011 were catastrophical to Bitcoin itself, the issues were with 3rd parties. Certain important 3rd parties have a very important role in the economy which means that if they have big issues it can set Bitcoin back at least temporarily.

However I believe that the understanding of Bitcoin has significantly improved since May. And it's going to improve in the future. This will make the impact of 3rd party failures at least somewhat smaller. Even in this case we will always have to worry about the severe issues that I listed in the first paragraph.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 02:37:24 PM

So the glass is half full again in this thread...  Roll Eyes

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 05:45:42 PM

I'm well aware of the numerous possibilities that could lead to Bitcoin's demise. The most severe ones are fundamental technical problems, legal problems and the possibility of a new technology that renders Bitcoin obsolete. These are the big issues and challenges which we need to keep a close eye on.

It has also been proven that the issues don't have to be catastrophical for the exchange rate to crash. None of the bad stuff that happened in 2011 were catastrophical to Bitcoin itself, the issues were with 3rd parties. Certain important 3rd parties have a very important role in the economy which means that if they have big issues it can set Bitcoin back at least temporarily.

However I believe that the understanding of Bitcoin has significantly improved since May. And it's going to improve in the future. This will make the impact of 3rd party failures at least somewhat smaller. Even in this case we will always have to worry about the severe issues that I listed in the first paragraph.

One other thing, though. Even though the failures of 2011 did have a serious impact on Bitcoin, they did not outright wipe it off the map. This isn't a trivial point. Just imagine what would have happened with the US dollar if the New York Stock Exchange had been hacked and all stocks had been sold down to a few cents each... or the impact on the gold market if someone had stolen about 5 percent of the world supply of gold in any given two month period (putting together MyBitcoin, allinvain and Bitomat). The implications would have been far deeper and lasted far longer.

Will there be other hacks? Probably. Other thefts? Almost certainly. I can also give you an almost 100 percent certainty that there will be a crash of a large jetliner some time in the next two years, but that doesn't mean that commercial aviation is unsafe, and it sure as hell doesn't mean it's just as unsafe as it was in the 1930's, the 1960's or the 1980's.
arepo

Activity: 448

this statement is false

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:06:53 PM

Come to think of it, there is another long term concern with
bitcoin: as the block rewards decrease, it quite unclear that
transaction fees will be enough to sustain a healthy mining
ecosystem. If I had to point at the weakest part of Satoshi's
design, that probably would be it.

this. is there any good literature on what is supposed to happen once we enter the age of transaction fees?

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:14:59 PM

this. is there any good literature on what is supposed to happen once we enter the age of transaction fees?

As I recall, the assumption is that over time Bitcoin will become sufficiently entrenched that parties with interest in keeping the system running will continue to keep hashing blocks even if the fees don't cover the costs, as they stand to lose more if the system becomes insecure.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
arepo

Activity: 448

this statement is false

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:34:27 PM

As I recall, the assumption is that over time Bitcoin will become sufficiently entrenched that parties with interest in keeping the system running will continue to keep hashing blocks even if the fees don't cover the costs, as they stand to lose more if the system becomes insecure.

we must then hope that Bitcoin will become 'sufficiently entrenched' before the age of transaction fees...

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
Revalin

Activity: 728

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:35:45 PM

That's something that's worried me.  How large of transaction fees will be required to ensure security?  I think double-spends won't be a problem; it's too hard to exploit even against a fairly small network.

On the other hand, I am concerned that someone with a vested interest in killing Bitcoin - government, banks, whatever - will pull a luke-jr and DOS the network.  We might have to throw a lot of money to miners to stop it.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 01:16:59 AM

we must then hope that Bitcoin will become 'sufficiently entrenched' before the age of transaction fees...

If it does become entrenched, then transaction fees would be practically guaranteed to cover costs.

If it's 2050, and pretty much the only means of electronic commerce is through bitcoin, you can believe I'm not going to balk that much at, say, a mandatory, capped transaction fee of 1% to ensure immediate processing as opposed to next-week processing through the "charity miners." It's either pay the fee or not do business.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 02:09:21 AM

If it's 2050, and pretty much the only means of electronic commerce is through bitcoin, you can believe I'm not going to balk that much at, say, a mandatory, capped transaction fee of 1% to ensure immediate processing as opposed to next-week processing through the "charity miners." It's either pay the fee or not do business.

Except that one miner will drop the minimum fees to 0.99% to get them all. Then the next miner will drop them to 0.98% etc.

In a normal market, this downward pressure on prices is countered by the production cost. But for bitcoin there is no minimum cost: the mining difficulty will drop until it is too low to provide any security.

Right.... cause mining is free.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 02:21:42 AM

Except that one miner will drop the minimum fees to 0.99% to get them all. Then the next miner will drop them to 0.98% etc.

In a normal market, this downward pressure on prices is countered by the production cost. But for bitcoin there is no minimum cost: the mining difficulty will drop until it is too low to provide any security.

The mining difficulty will drop until it is profitable for more to mine again.

FTFY
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 02:44:05 AM

So if widespread adoption occurs wouldn't the transaction fees (and thus bitcoin) basically be energy credits?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: