Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:03:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 173 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin or Gold? What would you pick?  (Read 298881 times)
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 01:25:02 PM

of course gold because gold more stable than bitcoin
for example if you buy gold now and keep it for long time you can sell with high price because gold price never go down different with Bitcoin the price could drop anytime
true, but when bitcoin rise in price was fantastic.
when you have a lot of gold. then the thieves will notice you and lives will be at stake. however, the thieves are not so interested in bitcoin because they do not know the thing works. lol Smiley

You can hide your Gold from thieves and thieves will know you have bitcoins because you talked about it to your family, friends, girlfriend, neighbours, coworkers and online without hiding yourself

maok

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 01:46:27 PM

for example if you buy gold now and keep it for long time you can sell with high price because gold price never go down different with Bitcoin the price could drop anytime
when you have a lot of gold. then the thieves will notice you and lives will be at stake. however, the thieves are not so interested in bitcoin because they do not know the thing works. lol Smiley

You can hide your Gold from thieves and thieves will know you have bitcoins because you talked about it to your family, friends, girlfriend, neighbours, coworkers and online without hiding yourself

the huge difference is that when stealing bitcoin, lets say you hold your wallet on your smartphone, or on paper wallets, and they have password protection, the thieves will need to force you to tell them your password. Thats a big difference, because a thief which gets caught gets 2-5 years, but a criminal gets 15-life sentence for torture and murder. Simply put, when your house gets broken the thieves won't enter your computer to steal your bitcoins then wait for you to get home and tell them the password, they will instead look for jewelries/gold/cash.

Bitcoin is much much safer as a store of value from either normal thieves or hackers than gold or your online financial payment systems like papyal/credit cards/online banking.

QRKHn6UK3ToS53V6jD1rYWRYS4mxQ1mako
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▀▄▀▄▀ Quark core wallet updates  ▀▄▀▄▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
boumalo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 02:11:18 PM

the huge difference is that when stealing bitcoin, lets say you hold your wallet on your smartphone, or on paper wallets, and they have password protection, the thieves will need to force you to tell them your password. Thats a big difference, because a thief which gets caught gets 2-5 years, but a criminal gets 15-life sentence for torture and murder. Simply put, when your house gets broken the thieves won't enter your computer to steal your bitcoins then wait for you to get home and tell them the password, they will instead look for jewelries/gold/cash.

Bitcoin is much much safer as a store of value from either normal thieves or hackers than gold or your online financial payment systems like papyal/credit cards/online banking.

Ok I understand what you mean; if you get some Gold in a safe in Australia and you live in the states they will not steal it easily from you either

Criminals don't think in terms of how much they risk to get if they are caught but in terms of what are the chances of getting caught; in case things turn really bad, criminals will not hesitate to get your password from you

maok

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:39:40 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2014, 03:49:26 PM by maok

Ok I understand what you mean; if you get some Gold in a safe in Australia and you live in the states they will not steal it easily from you either

Criminals don't think in terms of how much they risk to get if they are caught but in terms of what are the chances of getting caught; in case things turn really bad, criminals will not hesitate to get your password from you

So why the double standard ? If you keep bitcoin in a safe it'll be the same thing. But would you put you jewelries or cash in a safe box in Australia ? I can keep my bitcoin anywhere, they'er much more safer, I could lose my smartphone that keeps my bitcoin wallet, no one could take away my money, I will simply restore my wallet on another phone. With gold/cash/online banking/paypal/credit card once a thief gets their hand on it, its extremely hard to get it back.

As for criminal thinking I don't think we can say what they're thinking, I'm basing that analogy with thieves vs murderers on statistical proof that is in any jail you would only find 5-10% actual murderers. So no its highly unlikely that they'll wait for you at home to torture you for your password, but its highly likely that they'll collect your jewelries/gold/cash/etc. Certainly not entering your computer lol  

Bitcoin is far more safer, its one of the reasons people are so attracted to it. Thats why if a bug will be discovered(its been 5 years now so highly doubt it) you'll see the collapse of Bitcoin because the basic concept of safety was breached so would be hard to regain the trust.

okthen

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:53:22 PM

If you store either them at your house, you will be susceptible to theft.
But gold can be detected with a metal detector.
To steal bitcoin they'd have to search your house like crazy, and not even being sure you have it.
Plus you can always have a brain wallet Smiley
Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:55:40 PM

Definitiley Bitcoin, even when it is intangible property.

Bitcoin was born in 2009 but i think that actually remains being a baby, a very few people knows of it, it's just a matter of time...
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 05:00:53 PM

If you store either them at your house, you will be susceptible to theft.
But gold can be detected with a metal detector.
To steal bitcoin they'd have to search your house like crazy, and not even being sure you have it.
Plus you can always have a brain wallet Smiley

Or you could use an online wallet like Blockchain.info, which you only access through TOR.
Plus it is infinitely easier to transport than gold Smiley
Sydboy

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 05:04:28 PM

Why not choose both ?
it is always good to diversify.
get some silver while you are at it.
I like the physicals. somethin about holding and looking at it you dont get with bitcoin.
bit the hugeeeeeeeeeeeee price rise you dont get with the physicaly ay
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:25:15 PM

For long term, gold.

You can see and touch gold. And it can exists as a stand alone item without dependency on technology. It has proven itself to be money for longer than 1000 years.

As for bitcoin, you can't touch and see bitcoin. It can not exists without the blockchain and internet. It hasn't proven itself to be money for more than 2-3 years.

boumalo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 06:25:52 PM

So why the double standard ? If you keep bitcoin in a safe it'll be the same thing. But would you put you jewelries or cash in a safe box in Australia ? I can keep my bitcoin anywhere, they'er much more safer, I could lose my smartphone that keeps my bitcoin wallet, no one could take away my money, I will simply restore my wallet on another phone. With gold/cash/online banking/paypal/credit card once a thief gets their hand on it, its extremely hard to get it back.

As for criminal thinking I don't think we can say what they're thinking, I'm basing that analogy with thieves vs murderers on statistical proof that is in any jail you would only find 5-10% actual murderers. So no its highly unlikely that they'll wait for you at home to torture you for your password, but its highly likely that they'll collect your jewelries/gold/cash/etc. Certainly not entering your computer lol  

Bitcoin is far more safer, its one of the reasons people are so attracted to it. Thats why if a bug will be discovered(its been 5 years now so highly doubt it) you'll see the collapse of Bitcoin because the basic concept of safety was breached so would be hard to regain the trust.

If your friends know you have bitcoins and they probably do, you will likely be give up to the taxman and slaughtered; if you didn't flee or protect yourself well, someone will kidnap you and steal your passwords

lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:29:06 PM

If your friends know you have bitcoins and they probably do, you will likely be give up to the taxman and slaughtered; if you didn't flee or protect yourself well, someone will kidnap you and steal your passwords

Gee, what kind of friends do you have who would do that?
Don't scream on all roofs about the fact that you have a considerable amount of Bitcoins, and you won't be kidnapped really...
maok

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:29:15 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2014, 06:46:48 PM by maok

:-))) Good one. If I have gold I presume I'll be protected ? :-)

deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 07:06:34 PM

Gee, what kind of friends do you have who would do that?
Don't scream on all roofs about the fact that you have a considerable amount of Bitcoins, and you won't be kidnapped really...

Yeah, Satoshi was not stupid not to reveal his identity (whoever or whatever may hide under his name)... Roll Eyes

makebitcoin

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 07:14:57 PM

I'd take Bitcoin because it's easy to spend Smiley
Nerazzura

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 10:55:56 AM

Depending on the type of investment, If you want something stable then your choice generally would be to choose gold, but if you can tolerate or want a huge volatibility in the price of the wealth then you will choose bitcoin.
yeah right. when you invest in gold. then the price will tend to be predictable and stable. but when you invest in bitcoin, then you must be prepared for a big loss or a very large profit. and another, for our bitcoin trading for another coin. but with gold, it is limited opportunity
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 05:05:22 PM

For long term, gold.

You can see and touch gold. And it can exists as a stand alone item without dependency on technology. It has proven itself to be money for longer than 1000 years.

As for bitcoin, you can't touch and see bitcoin. It can not exists without the blockchain and internet. It hasn't proven itself to be money for more than 2-3 years.

Gold will likely have somewhat of a store of value over the long term. The issue with gold is that is it expensive to store and keep safe. The cost to store gold goes up as the amount of gold that you have goes up.

With bitcoin the additional cost to store and keep safe one additional bitcoin is zero as you could simply transfer that one bitcoin to an address whose private key is safe.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
hloren70

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 07:39:29 PM

Don't go all in on either. Best to have some of both. If you are a goldbug, do 60/40 or 70/30 gold and Bitcoin, if you are a Bitcoin guy, reverse it  Smiley
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 08:29:50 PM

Given the amount of potential growth between the two I think I will stick with bitcoin thank you very much.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
JessyMatt

Activity: 191

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 09:53:11 PM

I would definitely pick bitcoin right now. Bitcoin price is growing more aggressively than gold. Gold is long term so is bitcoin!

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
trand

Activity: 252

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 11:33:28 PM

I think there is no safe place if we are talking about theft even banks with high levels of security can be in collapse, which distinguishes between gold and bitcoin from theft rate is
if we could keep the gold in the vault of the bank and there are insurance if we lost gold
while bitcoin whatever we do if a hacker was able to get into the walet us then he can take anything and no one wants to bear the insurance for bitcoin

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 173 »
  Print  

Jump to: