Bitcoin Forum
August 06, 2024, 09:24:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay - the first tech giant to accept Bitcoin?  (Read 6726 times)
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:05:06 PM

Ebay will never allow you to take bitcoin directly. Even if ebay didn't own paypal, they'd be stupid to promote the use of bitcoin directly. Ignorant customers would be getting regularly scammed, and sellers could disappear and not pay seller fees. They'd have to recommend a trusted escrow, or even force the use of an escrow service. They basically have that escrow in paypal already. Paypal must see increased profits, or a reduction in lost profits, before they will implement bitcoin. The best thing any of us can do to promote bitcoin to paypal, is to promote bitcoin to ebay users via auctions entirely unrelated to bitcoin. Start adding something about bitcoin to the description of any item you list on ebay. "Don't like paypal? I accept cash or bitcoins in person."

Accepting Bitcoin would be extremely bad for Ebay's relationship with Paypal. I can't see this actually happening anytime soon.

The parasite called Paypal gives kickbacks to Ebay I'm sure.
You do realize that Ebay owns Paypal?  Cheesy
I'm pretty sure that they have considered this. But being behind with new technology might be bad as well for them.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:22:05 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/ebay-ceo-actively-considering-bitcoin-integration/

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
paulthetafy

Activity: 820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 05:18:00 AM

are there any sites like ebay with feedback and stuff that use only bitcoins?
A few people in this thread have asked why ebay-style sites don't already exist, or how long it will be until they do.  We launched CryptoThrift back in November 2013 to fit precisely this market.  We have grown steadily in that time whilst our competitors such as BitMit have failed. We now have over 5000 active users, process thousands of transactions a month, and average upwards of 100k visitors and 750k page views a month.  But clearly we are not doing enough advertising and marketing if we have not yet been mentioned in this post. Smiley  Thankfully we are about to embark on a several campaigns with high-profile publications/websites so hopefully you will hear more of us!

To address one of the other points raised on how to handle payments between buyers and sellers, we have approached this via a built-in and automated escrow service.  Buyers pay for their purchases by sending to our escrow wallet, sellers are notified that their funds are in escrow so can ship the item, buyers release escrow when they receive it (or it happens automatically after 30 days if the buyer doesn't dispute).  With this approach we can offer refunds to buyers if they don't receive their goods, or there is any kind of dispute over quality.  We obviously need to treat refunds on a case-by-case basis but this is no different to paypal disputes.

It is free to list but we charge sellers 2.5% on successfully sold items and buyers 1% if they wish to use our escrow service.  All of our profits go into enhancing the site, new hardware, establishing our company (now registered with ASIC in Australia), and advertising & marketing, and will do so for some time yet.  So why are we doing it for no profit?  Because we agree that eBay are unlikely to accept Bitcoin anytime soon, but equally that there is a market that needs to be filled.  And if we do the hard work now, put our money back into building this service, and build a competitive site, we wont need eBay to ever accept Bitcoin Smiley  So please try us out... https://cryptothrift.com
a7594li

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 11:03:01 AM

EBay,Just sell Bitcoin,not  accept Bitcoin.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀████████▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ██████████   ▀▀██▄
▄██▀     ████████████     ▀██▄
██▀      ██████████████      ▀██
██▀      ████████████████      ▀██
██▀      ██████████████████      ▀██
▄██      █████████  █████████      ██▄
██      █████████    █████████      ██
██     █████████      █████████     ██
██    █████████        █████████    ██
██   █████████          █████████   ██
▀██ ██████████████████████████████ ██▀
████████████████████████ ███████████
██████████████████████   █████████
████████████████████     ███████
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  .A.P.H.E.L.I.O.N.  [    ] 
▄████████████████████████▄
████████████▀     ████████
███████████       ████████
███████████    ███████████
████████          ████████
████████          ████████
▀████████████████████████▀

██████████████████████████
████▀  ▀██████████████████
████▄  ▄██████████████████
████    ██    █▀    ▀█████
████    ██     ▄▄     ████
████    ██    ████    ████

███████████████▀▀▀▀███████
████ ▀███████▀      ▀▀▀███
████    ▀▀██▀        ▄████
████▄               ██████
█████▄             ███████
██████▄           ████████
███▀██▀▀        ▄█████████
████▄▄       ▄▄███████████

██████████████████▀▀   ███
██████████████▀▀  ▄█▀ ▄███
██████████▀▀    ▄█▀   ████
██████▀▀      ▄█▀    ▄████
██▀▀        ▄█▀      █████
████▄▄    ▄█▀       ▄█████
████████▄█▀         ██████
██████████   ▄     ▄██████
██████████ ▄████▄▄ ███████
  ▶  Whitepaper
▶  Website
▶  Register
BillieGin

Activity: 253
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 01:46:39 PM

If Ebay ever accepted bitcoin. That would be enough to crack the dam of resistance.
EBay's stamp of approval would cause a massive flight to adoption of bitcoin.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 01:59:14 PM

A few people in this thread have asked why ebay-style sites don't already exist, or how long it will be until they do.  We launched CryptoThrift back in November 2013 to fit precisely this market.  We have grown steadily in that time whilst our competitors such as BitMit have failed. We now have over 5000 active users, process thousands of transactions a month, and average upwards of 100k visitors and 750k page views a month.  But clearly we are not doing enough advertising and marketing if we have not yet been mentioned in this post. Smiley  Thankfully we are about to embark on a several campaigns with high-profile publications/websites so hopefully you will hear more of us!

To address one of the other points raised on how to handle payments between buyers and sellers, we have approached this via a built-in and automated escrow service.  Buyers pay for their purchases by sending to our escrow wallet, sellers are notified that their funds are in escrow so can ship the item, buyers release escrow when they receive it (or it happens automatically after 30 days if the buyer doesn't dispute).  With this approach we can offer refunds to buyers if they don't receive their goods, or there is any kind of dispute over quality.  We obviously need to treat refunds on a case-by-case basis but this is no different to paypal disputes.

It is free to list but we charge sellers 2.5% on successfully sold items and buyers 1% if they wish to use our escrow service.  All of our profits go into enhancing the site, new hardware, establishing our company (now registered with ASIC in Australia), and advertising & marketing, and will do so for some time yet.  So why are we doing it for no profit?  Because we agree that eBay are unlikely to accept Bitcoin anytime soon, but equally that there is a market that needs to be filled.  And if we do the hard work now, put our money back into building this service, and build a competitive site, we wont need eBay to ever accept Bitcoin Smiley  So please try us out... https://cryptothrift.com
I've seen your store before -what are the most popular sellers.  I'd give it a try but it reminds me of standard bitmit which was cool it seemed like there was no traffic there?

paulthetafy

Activity: 820

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 02:30:22 PM

A few people in this thread have asked why ebay-style sites don't already exist, or how long it will be until they do.  We launched CryptoThrift back in November 2013 to fit precisely this market.  We have grown steadily in that time whilst our competitors such as BitMit have failed. We now have over 5000 active users, process thousands of transactions a month, and average upwards of 100k visitors and 750k page views a month.  But clearly we are not doing enough advertising and marketing if we have not yet been mentioned in this post. Smiley  Thankfully we are about to embark on a several campaigns with high-profile publications/websites so hopefully you will hear more of us!

To address one of the other points raised on how to handle payments between buyers and sellers, we have approached this via a built-in and automated escrow service.  Buyers pay for their purchases by sending to our escrow wallet, sellers are notified that their funds are in escrow so can ship the item, buyers release escrow when they receive it (or it happens automatically after 30 days if the buyer doesn't dispute).  With this approach we can offer refunds to buyers if they don't receive their goods, or there is any kind of dispute over quality.  We obviously need to treat refunds on a case-by-case basis but this is no different to paypal disputes.

It is free to list but we charge sellers 2.5% on successfully sold items and buyers 1% if they wish to use our escrow service.  All of our profits go into enhancing the site, new hardware, establishing our company (now registered with ASIC in Australia), and advertising & marketing, and will do so for some time yet.  So why are we doing it for no profit?  Because we agree that eBay are unlikely to accept Bitcoin anytime soon, but equally that there is a market that needs to be filled.  And if we do the hard work now, put our money back into building this service, and build a competitive site, we wont need eBay to ever accept Bitcoin Smiley  So please try us out... https://cryptothrift.com
I've seen your store before -what are the most popular sellers.  I'd give it a try but it reminds me of standard bitmit which was cool it seemed like there was no traffic there?
There are a lot of sales of steam games, gold and silver coins, miners/gpu's, and gift cards, the latter being something we are keen to discourage due to the likelihood of fraud. As for traffic, well it's certainly going to take time to build up, but we're going to hit a million page views this month, which isn't too shabby!
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 03:29:26 PM

Accepting Bitcoin would be extremely bad for Ebay's relationship with Paypal. I can't see this actually happening anytime soon.

The parasite called Paypal gives kickbacks to Ebay I'm sure.
You do realize that Ebay owns Paypal?  Cheesy
I'm pretty sure that they have considered this. But being behind with new technology might be bad as well for them.

Ebay will never allow you to take bitcoin directly. Even if ebay didn't own paypal, they'd be stupid to promote the use of bitcoin directly. Ignorant customers would be getting regularly scammed, and sellers could disappear and not pay seller fees. They'd have to recommend a trusted escrow, or even force the use of an escrow service. They basically have that escrow in paypal already. Paypal must see increased profits, or a reduction in lost profits, before they will implement bitcoin. The best thing any of us can do to promote bitcoin to paypal, is to promote bitcoin to ebay users via auctions entirely unrelated to bitcoin. Start adding something about bitcoin to the description of any item you list on ebay. "Don't like paypal? I accept cash or bitcoins in person."

You can just close your Paypal account and open up a new one it's going to be pretty obvious from the products your selling heaps of businesses have had to be come honest to preserve their Paypal accounts

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 04:31:33 PM

Let me play devils advocate for a moment. Let's say Ebay makes the decision to implement BTC. Do you think there would be a shift from fraudulent buyers, to fraudulent sellers? They would have to come up with clear guidelines on what steps are taken if you purchase something with BTC, and then either never receive what you purchased, or it is damaged. Will Ebay refund you with BTC or fiat? How will they handle it if the price of BTC is significantly different at the time of the refund vs. the time of the purchase?
babahobaba

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 08:00:48 PM

i wish ebay do so
tuneman1980

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 08:01:16 PM

Let me play devils advocate for a moment. Let's say Ebay makes the decision to implement BTC. Do you think there would be a shift from fraudulent buyers, to fraudulent sellers? They would have to come up with clear guidelines on what steps are taken if you purchase something with BTC, and then either never receive what you purchased, or it is damaged. Will Ebay refund you with BTC or fiat? How will they handle it if the price of BTC is significantly different at the time of the refund vs. the time of the purchase?

I bet that they would allow you to deposit BTC into a Paypal wallet and only let you pay from there for eBay purchases.  That way they have control over the payment still.  

http://cryptocoinstats.com/

BTC: 19YQqtEdtuWhT6nk6ArBgMTiKMEjoJ5eww  LTC: Li1RLpZm8Rx7txSnQdvZvtLMsd4XDN2vMJ  FTC: 6qAU4vtyf9LPW4yV4m4Vx1jm4ZkXJHTFP7
Campsis

Activity: 112

WW3

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 08:46:16 PM

I hope it happens soon!

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:26:56 AM

If some of the big names (such as Ebay or Amazon) start to accept Bitcoin, then it will act similar to a chain reaction. Other top brands also will follow very soon. In no time, we will be seeing a 10-times or even 100-times increase in the exchange rate.
_smudger_ (OP)

Activity: 163

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:57:45 PM

http://motoringcrunch.com/news/bitcoin-for-paypal-is-it-worth-it/10015628/

BitCoin For PayPal: Is It Worth It?

Aditya

Activity: 164

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 04:00:56 PM

Since ebay owns PayPal, this is unlikely to happen.

I guess PayPal will offer Bitcoin wallet service and a Bitcoin changer service like CoinBase.

ATLAS.WORK     ║   WHITEPAPER  •  BOUNTIES  •  TELEGRAM     ║     JOIN THE FREELANCE REVOLUTION
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:12:01 PM

Huh

This guy only addresses bitcoin as a payment protocol, and not as a currency. Of course paypal wouldn't replace ACH with bitcoin, they'd have to convince banks to do the same. Do people get paid to write shit like this?

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:20:31 PM

Like others I don't like PayPal at all, but if they do integrate bitcoin then it's amazing simply for free advertising and to show the world that big companies are willing to use it. All it takes is one big player and the rest will follow. I really hope PayPal do accept BTC!

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:08:33 PM

All it takes is one big player and the rest will follow. I really hope PayPal do accept BTC!

Agreed. And note that 99% of the big players (Amazon, Ebay.etc) already accept Paypal. So if Paypal integrates Bitcoin as one of their currencies, then we might not need any more big players.  Grin
hensi

Activity: 70

TheSlimShady

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:16:23 PM

if a giant like ebay starts accepting bitcoins then i think it wud be a giant leap for the btc itself, ebay accepting btc will lead to other giants accepting it too and thus leading to price rise of the bitcoin.
madmadmax

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:00:36 PM

Paypal are just using BTC for publicity, no, they will never integrate Bitcoin

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀