Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 03:48:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GOP - Rand Paul's Presidential Highlight Reel w/ his Libertarian Twist  (Read 205771 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 04:54:54 AM

Peep this out. The drive time host in Chicago (on a heavy AM station) just went nuclear against neocons for Rand Paul today.

Joe Walsh on ISIS: "Rand Paul is Right. The GOP Hawks Created ISIS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=116&v=uzx1DrvoINo
~10 mins
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 05:31:58 AM

"Only way Patriot Act to be saved in time is for establishment to cut a deal with Rand"

"To put it bluntly, if Senate leaders and the White House want to get the USA Freedom Act to the president’s desk before the Patriot Act authorities expire at midnight Sunday, there’s only one route under the rules: cut a deal with Paul."

Here are the technical details on the Senate procedure for Sunday:

http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/rand-paul-can-easily-force-patriot-act-to-expire/?dcz
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 11:29:42 PM

Exclusive: Rand Paul: 'I will force the expiration' of the PATRIOT Act

Rand Paul plans to force the expiration of the PATRIOT Act Sunday by refusing to allow Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to expedite debate on a key surveillance bill.

In a statement to POLITICO Saturday, Paul warned that he would not consent to any efforts to pass either an extension of current law or the USA Freedom Act, a reform bill passed overwhelmingly by the House earlier this month.

“So tomorrow, I will force the expiration of the NSA illegal spy program,” Paul said.

Because of the nature of the Senate rules, Paul can force the expiration of the PATRIOT Act, which he has vowed on the campaign trail to repeal as president because he contends it invades Americans’ privacy rights.

In a rare Sunday session, McConnell, sources said, appears likely to move the USA Freedom Act, despite his opposition to how the bill overhauls the National Security Agency’s bulk data collection program. That’s because McConnell has little other choice given the vast support within Congress for the bill.

More...http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/exclusive-rand-paul-i-will-force-the-expiration-of-the-patriot-act-118443.html
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 11:30:42 PM

Read Rand Paul's Statement on NSA Spying

I have fought for several years now to end the illegal spying of the NSA on ordinary Americans. The callous use of general warrants and the disregard for the Bill of Rights must end. Forcing us to choose between our rights and our safety is a false choice and we are better than that as a nation and as a people.

That's why two years ago, I sued the NSA. It's why I proposed the Fourth Amendment Protection Act. It's why I have been seeking for months to have a full, open and honest debate on this issue-- a debate that never came.

So last week, seeing proponents of this illegal spying rushing toward a deadline to wholesale renew this unconstitutional power, I filibustered the bill. I spoke for over 10 hours to call attention to the vast expansion of the spy state and the corresponding erosion of our liberties.

Then, last week, I further blocked the extension of these powers and the Senate adjourned for recess rather than stay and debate them.

Tomorrow, we will come back with just hours left before the NSA illegal spying powers expire.

Let me be clear: I acknowledge the need for a robust intelligence agency and for a vigilant national security.

I believe we must fight terrorism, and I believe we must stand strong against our enemies.

But we do not need to give up who we are to defeat them. In fact, we must not.

There has to be another way. We must find it together.

So tomorrow, I will force the expiration of the NSA illegal spy program.

I am ready and willing to start the debate on how we fight terrorism without giving up our liberty.

Sometimes when the problem is big enough, you just have to start over. The tax code and our regulatory burdens are two good examples.

Fighting against unconditional, illegal powers that take away our rights, taken by previous Congresses and administrations is just as important.

I do not do this to obstruct. I do it to build something better, more effective, more lasting, and more cognizant of who we are as Americans.

http://randpaul.com/news/rand-pauls-statement-on-nsa-spying
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 11:42:43 PM

Des Moines (IA) Register poll; Paul in 2nd

Paul bests the field in attracting moderate Republicans, independents who intend to attend the Republican caucuses (21 percent, all but double any other contender), and likely GOP caucusgoers who are under 45. Paul, who has said the GOP "can have people on both sides" of the same-sex marriage issue, has inherited many of the liberty movement conservatives who supported his father, then-Texas U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, in his Iowa caucus races in 2008 and 2012.

But Rand Paul has seen his favorability rating in the poll drop by 9 percentage points since January, more than for any other GOP contender.

"Paul is slightly worse off, which tells me that his efforts to woo his father's supporters have hurt him with typical GOP voters," said Katie Packer, a Washington, D.C.-based GOP strategist who worked for Mitt Romney's 2012 presidential campaign.

Walker 17
Paul 10
Carson 10
Bush 9
Huckabee 9
Rubio 6
Santorum 6
Cruz 5
Trump 4
Christie 4
Perry 3
Kasich 2
Fiorina 2
Jindal 1
Graham 1
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 11:55:14 PM

Rand Against the Machine: Chris Hayes (MSNBC) reports on Fox News bias and Paul's Patriot Act battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyfJOsES9PI

Pretty good watch
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 12:04:10 AM

The Patriot Act May Be Dead Forever

The most controversial elements of the spying bill may never be coming back, lawmakers from both parties tell The Daily Beast. Here’s why.

Barring any last-minute compromises, powerful government surveillance authorities under the Patriot Act will expire at the stroke of midnight Monday. And they may never return.

This week, senators have been negotiating over whether to pass a House bill that would renew and tweak existing provisions in the long-controversial law, rather than let them “sunset” on June 1. But if the sunset comes and the provisions are off the books, lawmakers in both chambers would be facing a vote to reinstate controversial surveillance authorities, which is an entirely different political calculation.

Lawmakers may be unwilling to vote affirmatively for surveillance powers that many of them already dislike and have tried to rein in. “I think it is a real risk that if the provisions do expire, they would be more difficult to reinstate than to reform,” Representative Adam Schiff, the senior Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, told The Daily Beast.

Schiff supports the USA Freedom Act, which overwhelmingly passed the House but failed to muster enough votes in a midnight Senate session last Saturday. The bill would end the NSA’s collection of phone records in bulk, but leave intact other surveillance tools that, while not broadly popular, are less controversial.

Schiff said it was easier to get lawmakers to support the Freedom Act with its changes to existing law than it would be to vote to re-enact law that had gone away.

Senator Mike Lee, who also supports the Freedom Act, shared that sentiment. “There were members who voted for the USA Freedom Act who would feel differently about reinstating those provisions” once they’ve lapsed, Lee told The Daily Beast. Lee said he was talking to colleagues this week to try to persuade them to support the bill before the clock runs out.

The political stakes for Congress are high, and novel. Asking members to reinstate the provisions would be akin to asking them to cast a new vote in favor of the Patriot Act, and that’s something that two-thirds of House members have never done in their legislative careers, said Harley Geiger, the advocacy director and senior counsel at the Center for Democracy & Technology. “If the provisions sunset, we enter uncharted waters, and I don’t really know what happens,” Geiger told The Daily Beast.

While lawmakers could once be counted on to reliably reauthorize the Patriot Act—and accuse opponents of risking national security if they failed to do so—leaks by Edward Snowden about spying operations have eroded the law’s support. In the House, USA Freedom was pitched as a compromise that would suspend the phone records program while leaving intact other measures that intelligence agencies say they need. The bill has enjoyed support among some privacy and civil liberties advocates.

The Senate will return on Sunday to make one last try to pass it. But if they fail, there’s no obvious way forward in either chamber. “The only way out of this box,” Schiff said, was for the Senate to pass the House bill.

“There were members who voted for the USA Freedom Act who would feel differently about reinstating those provisions” once they’ve lapsed, the senator said.
Three major Patriot provisions are on the chopping block: so-called roving wiretaps, which let the government monitor one person’s multiple electronic devices; the “lone-wolf” provision, which allows surveillance of someone who’s not connected to a known terrorist group; and Section 215, which, among other things, the government uses to collect the records of all landline phone calls in the United States.

House lawmakers say they’re in no mood to bail the Senate out if it once again can’t muster the votes needed to head off a possible filibuster by surveillance opponents, most notably Senator Rand Paul and his allies, including Ted Cruz. Both men are running for president.

More...http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/28/the-patriot-act-may-be-dead-for-good.html
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 12:11:12 AM

The surveillance framework of Patriot Acts I and II have never captured a terrorist nor exposed/prevented a terrorist plot. They have been very successful spying on Americans and foreigners.

People who support illegal laws to circumvent the Constitution are the real terrorists.

I also suggest that when this law goes bye bye the NSA will not stop. They don't really give a damn about the Constitution. They will just hide their illegal activities and throw the occasional employee under the bus when they get caught.

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 12:14:30 AM

On Lindsey Graham's Turf, Rand Paul Begins Patriot Act Endgame

“Anybody here love liberty?” asked Rand Paul, eliciting a lusty cheer from around the bar.

At least 200 people in Greenville, S.C. had crammed into Friday's edition of “Pints for Liberty,” billed as a “free market happy hour” that had never before had a presidential candidate stop by. It had taken the Kentucky senator 10 minutes to work past the bar, through fans wearing T-shirts with his face on them, onto a stage where he could rally against the U.S. spying programs.

Paul continued his call-and-response: “Anybody here love their privacy? Anybody think the Patriot Act ought to go?”

“I'm gonna do anything and everything to make the Patriot Act go away.”

More cheering filled the room. One Paul fan waved a homemade sign, reading “The NSA should protect us, not hack us.”

“We will have a debate Sunday night,” said Paul, casting ahead to Sunday's unusual session in the U.S. Senate planned to debate the surveillance programs hours before they are due to expire. “It is uncertain what the outcome will be, but I can tell you for sure what my position will be. I'm gonna do anything and everything to make the Patriot Act go away.”

Saturday, in a statement, Paul laid out his rationale for blocking the renewal of the 2001 anti-spying law. Not just reforming it—killing it. “I will force the expiration of the NSA illegal spy program,” Paul promised reporters. “Sometimes when the problem is big enough, you just have to start over.” Hours later, he sent a version of that statement to his donor list, subject: “I'm forcing the Patriot Act to expire.”

Paul, elected to the Senate nine years after the passage of the law, billed as a way to protect the homeland from terrorist threats, has never bothered to hide his contempt for it.  In 2011 he dismissed the law as something “enacted in such haste after 9/11,” and thus ripe for scrutiny. Before his marathon Senate floor speech to delay the renewal, he called the statute “the most unpatriotic of acts.”

On Friday, in South Carolina, he found a Republican electorate that had caught up with him. Paul barnstormed four locations across the upstate, an area that bleeds red in presidential elections and sends Representative Trey Gowdy and Representative Mick Mulvaney to Washington. He ended the day just 30 minutes from Central, S.C., where Senator Lindsey Graham was born and raised, and where, on Monday, the man who literally rolled his eyes when Paul spoke would announce his own presidential campaign.

At every stop, Paul spent at least half of his time attacking the Patriot Act. Twice, he lightly chided the media for assuming that the hawkish Republicans of South Carolina would be put off by talk like that.

“Don't be surprised that people in Washington don't get it,” Paul said at a Republican lunch and book signing in Rock Hill. “They're about a decade behind and a dollar short. They don't understand what's going on in America, because they don't visit us enough. If you get outside the beltway of Washington, you'll find that the vast majority of people want some protections.” If Republicans want to win in states like Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Colorado—all won handily by President Barack Obama in 2012—“we need to be the party of the entire Bill of Rights,” Paul said.

More...http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-05-30/on-lindsey-graham-s-turf-rand-paul-begins-patriot-act-endgame
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 12:18:12 AM

The surveillance framework of Patriot Acts I and II have never captured a terrorist nor exposed/prevented a terrorist plot. They have been very successful spying on Americans and foreigners.

People who support illegal laws to circumvent the Constitution are the real terrorists.

I also suggest that when this law goes bye bye the NSA will not stop. They don't really give a damn about the Constitution. They will just hide their illegal activities and throw the occasional employee under the bus when they get caught.
Indeed, the FBI has said as much that this bulk data collection hasn't helped them catch a single terrorist so with that being said, I don't se how any politician can say these extra powers are important unless they're hellbent on erasing privacy from American in general.

The NSA can conceivably keep going on despite saying they're winding things down at the moment. However, getting Rand to be president could make sure this is over with. But, the acknowledgement of the NSA not spying in this fashion anymore keeps them from doing any law enforcement missions to use this data against anyone.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 12:28:00 AM

Rand Paul’s Secret Weapon Is George Pataki

Paul’s camp is thrilled, and sees Pataki pulling primary votes from the middle lane. Pataki’s announcement speech offered almost nothing to “liberty” voters, suggesting at one point that “if necessary, American forces will be used to actually defeat and destroy ISIS so they can pose no threat to us here.” Pataki seemed to be climbing on a rickety cart that might contain Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Lindsey Graham, and John Kasich; Republicans running on experience and telling-it-like-it-is to hard-right voters.

New Hampshire State Senator Andy Sanborn
“No question, [Pataki] splits the moderate vote,” said New Hampshire State Senator Andy Sanborn, an early endorser of Paul. “Three months ago, we talked about the easy path for Jeb, as it appeared he would be the only moderate in the race. Now, not only does Jeb have Christie, Pataki, Kasich to split that demographic, but as you see, Rubio is also moderating. In the end, this, plus the pro-war stance all other candidates have taken has put Rand in a singular space. A great place to be, especially in light of the poll today, showing he is one of the leaders in a match-up with Clinton.”

Under the bunch-up theory of the primary, Paul could win with perhaps a quarter of the vote, or the 23 percent that his father won in the 2012 primary, when he formed a kind of accord with a dominant Mitt Romney. Current polling has Rand Paul both weaker and better-positioned than the old man. In the RealClearPolitics average, Paul’s 12.3 percent put him just 2.4 points behind Jeb Bush, the weakest New Hampshire “frontrunner” in ages. That average gave Christie just five percent of the vote, Kasich just one percent, and Pataki nothing. What happens if Christie and Pataki put down stakes in New Hampshire? The Huntsman/Lieberman example suggests that they lose, but by taking chunks out of the frontrunner.

It’s a solid theory, especially at a time when Paul is accentuating the foreign policy gap between himself and the rest of the GOP field. The long-term problem is that the media doesn’t necessarily drop laurels on the winner of a tight New Hampshire primary. In 1996, Pat Buchanan’s “peasants with pitchforks” campaign drove right through the pack of Bob Dole, Lamar Alexander, Steve Forbes, and Richard Lugar. He won by less than 2,000 votes. It was the apex of his campaign.

More...http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-05-29/rand-paul-s-secret-weapon-is-george-pataki
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 12:30:26 AM

Hours before the Senate’s PATRIOT Act standoff hit its peak this month, Republican leaders thought they had Rand Paul figured out. He would object, rail on the matter on the Senate floor — and then let at least a temporary extension through.

I don’t agree with Sen. Paul on this issue, but I think he’s been a constructive guy,” Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn of Texas said just before the week-long recess.

A day later with the clock past midnight and the Senate in a standstill largely because of Paul’s objections, Cornyn wasn’t nearly as generous.

“I’m a little surprised,” a perplexed Cornyn said. “Sen. Paul is asking for something that nobody will agree to.”

Paul’s handling of the PATRIOT Act issue has caught many of his GOP colleagues by surprise — and he now plans to drag the fight days past a midnight Sunday deadline, forcing the sweeping surveillance law to expire. Despite repeated cajoling by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell over the Memorial Day recess, Paul plans to block his fellow Kentuckian’s efforts to expedite debate, he told POLITICO Saturday.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/the-moment-rand-paul-has-been-waiting-for-118449.html

Anyone who does not agree with Rand Paul is the real enemy of freedom.

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 01:07:41 AM

Exclusive: Rand Paul: 'I will force the expiration' of the PATRIOT Act

Rand Paul plans to force the expiration of the PATRIOT Act Sunday by refusing to allow Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to expedite debate on a key surveillance bill.

In a statement to POLITICO Saturday, Paul warned that he would not consent to any efforts to pass either an extension of current law or the USA Freedom Act, a reform bill passed overwhelmingly by the House earlier this month.

“So tomorrow, I will force the expiration of the NSA illegal spy program,” Paul said.

Because of the nature of the Senate rules, Paul can force the expiration of the PATRIOT Act, which he has vowed on the campaign trail to repeal as president because he contends it invades Americans’ privacy rights.

In a rare Sunday session, McConnell, sources said, appears likely to move the USA Freedom Act, despite his opposition to how the bill overhauls the National Security Agency’s bulk data collection program. That’s because McConnell has little other choice given the vast support within Congress for the bill.

More...http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/exclusive-rand-paul-i-will-force-the-expiration-of-the-patriot-act-118443.html

He is taking a stand for freedom:
I think this year is going to keep getting better.  Smiley

Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 04:05:12 AM

Sen. Rand Paul TIME op-ed: Tomorrow I Will Stop the Illegal NSA Spying

"We have all the tools we need to preserve both security and liberty"

Sunday, I will continue my fight to end the illegal collection of American phone records. The Second Appeals court has ruled the NSA’s bulk collection of phone records illegal. We should not be debating modifying an illegal program. We should simply end this illegal program.

How will we defend ourselves if the Patriot Act expires? Well, perhaps we could just rely on the Constitution and demonstrate exactly how traditional judicial warrants can gather all the info we need—and how bulk collection really hasn’t worked.

We have all the tools we need to preserve both security and liberty. What we now need is a president with the will to do just that.

I have fought for several years now to end the invasive and illegal spying of the NSA on ordinary Americans. I am ready to debate how we fight terrorism without giving up our liberty.

http://time.com/3902561/sen-rand-paul-tomorrow-i-will-stop-the-illegal-nsa-spying/
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 04:08:50 AM

The moment Rand Paul has been waiting for
He plans to force the expiration of a surveillance law he’s been railing against for years — but the political risks are enormous.

Hours before the Senate’s PATRIOT Act standoff hit its peak this month, Republican leaders thought they had Rand Paul figured out. He would object, rail on the matter on the Senate floor — and then let at least a temporary extension through.

“I don’t agree with Sen. Paul on this issue, but I think he’s been a constructive guy,” Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn of Texas said just before the week-long recess.

A day later with the clock past midnight and the Senate in a standstill largely because of Paul’s objections, Cornyn wasn’t nearly as generous.

“I’m a little surprised,” a perplexed Cornyn said. “Sen. Paul is asking for something that nobody will agree to.”
Paul’s handling of the PATRIOT Act issue has caught many of his GOP colleagues by surprise — and he now plans to drag the fight days past a midnight Sunday deadline, forcing the sweeping surveillance law to expire. Despite repeated cajoling by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell over the Memorial Day recess, Paul plans to block his fellow Kentuckian’s efforts to expedite debate, he told POLITICO Saturday.

“Let me be clear: I acknowledge the need for a robust intelligence agency and for a vigilant national security. I believe we must fight terrorism, and I believe we must stand strong against our enemies,” Paul said in a statement. “But we do not need to give up who we are to defeat them. In fact, we must not. There has to be another way. We must find it together. So tomorrow, I will force the expiration of the NSA illegal spy program.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/the-moment-rand-paul-has-been-waiting-for-118449.html#ixzz3bga4A5ym
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 04:15:40 AM

Insiders: Rand Paul's foreign policy views are a serious liability
While the Kentucky senator’s positions help him stand out in a crowded field, Republicans believe they likely preclude him from winning the nomination.
Hours before the Senate’s PATRIOT Act standoff hit its peak this month, Republican leaders thought they had Rand Paul figured out.

He would object, rail on the matter on the Senate floor — and then let at least a temporary extension through.
“I don’t agree with Sen. Paul on this issue, but I think he’s been a constructive guy,” Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn of Texas said just before the week-long recess.

“Let me be clear: I acknowledge the need for a robust intelligence agency and for a vigilant national security. I believe we must fight terrorism, and I believe we must stand strong against our enemies,” Paul said in a statement. “But we do not need to give up who we are to defeat them. In fact, we must not. There has to be another way. We must find it together. So tomorrow, I will force the expiration of the NSA illegal spy program.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/the-moment-rand-paul-has-been-waiting-for-118449.html#ixzz3bgaLOQEF
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 04:33:45 AM

Rep. Thomas Massie endorses Rand Paul for president

NEWPORT — Calling for the GOP to nominate a different kind of Republican than the last two presidential contenders, U.S. Rep. Thomas Massie of Vanceburg endorsed U.S. Sen. Rand Paul for President.

Massie told the crowd of about 100 at a rally in Newport, that Paul is the only GOP candidate who can win key the swing states in a presidential election against possible democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

“I’m talking about Iowa, New Hampshire, Colorado, these are states that we have lost for many years,” Massie said. “He’s winning those states in the polls.”

Massie later sent a written statement to the press on his endorsement, saying that Paul was the one who inspired him to run for Congress.

“More than anyone else, Rand understands that the entire Bill of Rights must be honored,” Massie said. “He inspired me to seek office, and I will continue to ‘Stand with Rand’ in his bid to defeat the Washington Machine and unleash the American Dream.”

http://mycn2.com/politics/massie-endorses-rand-paul-for-president-as-paul-vows-to-block-patriot-act-extension
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 07:39:47 PM

Crunch time in US Senate as NSA spy programs set to lapse

A senior administration official said switches would be turned off for the bulk collection servers beginning at 3:59 pm (1959 GMT) Sunday, and any collection after midnight would be deemed illegal, without congressional authorization.

"I do believe we have the votes" to pass the Freedom Act, Republican Senator Mike Lee, who supports ending NSA metadata collection, told CNN's State of the Union.

"At this point I think the question is not about whether we will get it passed, but when."

Senator Rand Paul, a Republican 2016 presidential candidate adamantly opposed to reauthorizing the surveillance, is threatening to use his parliamentary prerogative to delay votes on the reform bill or an extension of the original USA Patriot Act.

That could force the counterterrorism provisions to lapse until Wednesday, and possibly later.

- Political 'grandstanding' over security? -

Brennan did not mention Paul by name, but he expressed exasperation over the politicization of important programs which he insisted "have not been abused" by US authorities.

"Unfortunately I think there is a little too much political grandstanding and crusading for ideological causes that have really fueled the debate on this issue," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/crunch-time-us-senate-nsa-spy-programs-set-173946541.html
funtotry

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

Ever wanted to run your own casino? PM me for info

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 07:57:50 PM

Who is going to be tuning into c-span in about 5 minutes to watch the fate of the patriot act (nsa spying). I really recommend you all watch it.
http://floor.senate.gov/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=2&event_id=330
You can stream it there

Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 10:38:42 PM

THE LATEST: PAUL TAKES HEAT ON PATRIOT ACT, ISIS STANCES

3 p.m. (EDT)

Republican presidential hopeful George Pataki says GOP rival Rand Paul is putting the nation at risk for political purposes with his legislative tactics stalling the extension of the Patriot Act.

Pataki was New York governor in 2001 when the 9/11 terrorists struck. He says Paul's maneuvers in the Senate can only suspend parts of the anti-terrorism act for several days, not block them permanently, so letting those provisions expire has no value even for people who oppose them. He says Paul is "putting Americans at risk for a political reason."

The National Security Agency stands to lose legal authority to collect and search domestic phone records for connections to international terrorists unless senators find a way Sunday to avoid a lapse. Paul and other civil liberties advocates argue surveillance programs authorized by the NSA have not produced significant results in protecting Americans from terrorism.

---

11:15 a.m. (EDT)

Republican presidential candidate Sen. Rand Paul certainly raised hackles in his own party when he blamed the rise of the Islamic State group on Republican hawks, and perhaps none has taken more offense than Louisiana's governor, Bobby Jindal.

Jindal was asked Sunday on ABC's "This Week" whether he would support Paul if the Kentucky senator became the Republican nominee. The governor said he doubts it'll come to that, because Paul probably won't win. Jindal is expected to say in coming weeks whether he will join the nomination contest.

Paul said last week that Republican hawks supported the indiscriminate spread of arms in the region where ISIS operates and some of those weapons have fallen into the hands of extremists. That led Jindal to say Paul is unsuited to be president. The governor says ISIS exists purely because of radical Islam.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CAMPAIGN_2016_THE_LATEST?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-05-31-10-48-37
Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »
  Print  

Jump to: