Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:10:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 100 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GOP - Rand Paul's Presidential Highlight Reel w/ his Libertarian Twist  (Read 205766 times)
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 07:32:59 AM

Sen Mike Lee (from Utah) is also a liberty republican. 2% of the Senate doesn't sound great, but major changes/movements take time to get going.

There are a few Representatives, who can be classified as Libertarian Republican. In addition to Ron Paul (now ex-Rep), we have Rep.s such as Mark Sanford, Ted Yoho, Raul Labrador and Thomas Massie.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 05:44:29 PM

Sen Mike Lee (from Utah) is also a liberty republican. 2% of the Senate doesn't sound great, but major changes/movements take time to get going.

There are a few Representatives, who can be classified as Libertarian Republican. In addition to Ron Paul (now ex-Rep), we have Rep.s such as Mark Sanford, Ted Yoho, Raul Labrador and Thomas Massie.
As well as Justin Amash, John Duncan, Walter Jones, Matt Salmon, Steve Stockman, Paul Broun and I'm sure quite a few others that have conservativish (fiscally) leaning voting records at least.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 05:48:27 PM

Rand Paul discusses tax repatriation plan on CNBC w/ Sara Eisen (from earlier today)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlochF3gAns
5 min segment on market channel
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 05:58:04 PM

As well as Justin Amash, John Duncan, Walter Jones, Matt Salmon, Steve Stockman, Paul Broun and I'm sure quite a few others that have conservativish (fiscally) leaning voting records at least.

Justin Amash is a great guy. One of the few representatives, who had the balls to criticize the National Security Agency and the PATRIOT Act. But he is facing a very tough primary challenge this year, from Brian Ellis.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 06:18:10 PM

Justin Amash is a great guy. One of the few representatives, who had the balls to criticize the National Security Agency and the PATRIOT Act. But he is facing a very tough primary challenge this year, from Brian Ellis.
Rep. Justin Amash: Challenger Brian Ellis running on unpopular issues in Third District race

By Andrew Krietz
on June 09, 2014 at 3:28 PM

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — It's been a relatively quiet spring from U.S. Rep. Justin Amash's campaign, though it's better not to expect the same ahead of the Aug. 5 primary.

The incumbent Republican said he'll soon be gearing up to defend his bid for reelection against challenger Brian Ellis, who has been running advertisements against the congressman on West Michigan television for months. As the summer heats up, expect the rhetoric among the camps to increase, too.

Toward the end of May, the Michigan Information and Research Service, or MIRS tracked Amash and Ellis at 42 percent over 23 percent, respectively.

Amash, R-Cascade Township, told MLive and The Grand Rapids Press late last week that his lead is sustainable while the Ellis campaign has tried to paint the lead as one that is shrinking with each new poll.

Both agree MIRS' survey parallels internal numbers measured by each of the campaigns.

"I feel very confident going into election day," Amash said. "If I were Ellis, I wouldn't be bragging about being down 19 points."

The race is marked by the candidates' widely different ideologies, and it already has been highlighted by national media outlets as mirroring the national rift between tea party and "establishment" Republicans.
read more...http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/06/rep_justin_amash_competitor_br.html
and
Amash: Ellis not a ‘serious or credible candidate’
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPH3wKrth6c
Local news Footage yesterday from Grand Rapids (heart of the district)
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — U.S. Rep. Justin Amash will not participate in a debate with Republican primary challenger Brian Ellis, he told 24 Hour News 8 in a statement, saying Ellis is not a serious candidate in the race for the U.S. Third Congressional District seat.

After 24 Hour New 8 issued the invitation for a live debate between the two Republican candidates, Amash’s campaign team replied last week in a statement.

Ellis “isn’t a serious or credible candidate,” that statement said in part. “Unlike most of his colleagues, Rep. Amash has held dozens of public town halls since entering Congress, which provide the opportunity for anyone, including Ellis, to have a discussion with him about the issues. To our knowledge, Ellis has never attended one. We appreciate the invitation, and we encourage Ellis to do his own public appearances.”

Ellis had accepted 24 Hour News 8′s invitation to a debate.

“Voters should be allowed to have a choice. They should be able to hear from both candidates, and the debate is a good way to do that. And so, for him to run scared of it, that’s up to him,” Ellis told 24 Hour News 8 Monday. “I’m ready to debate. I’ve accepted your invitation. I’ve accepted others.”

Amash’s statement also said that Ellis’ “feckless smear campaign” and polls have shown the Ellis isn’t a “serious or credible candidate.”

more...http://woodtv.com/2014/06/09/amash-ellis-not-a-serious-or-credible-candidate/
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 06:20:31 PM

Justin Amash is one of the best in congress, he needs to win.
Primaries are that late in Mich?.....checking the date:
"...the primary contests will take place on August 5, 2014"
That doesn't leave much time for the general election battle, wonder why they do that?

Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 06:38:26 PM

That doesn't leave much time for the general election battle, wonder why they do that?
The primary has always been in early August and then a runoff happens if needed in Sept. I'm up for reelection in the primary for my delegate status but I'm likely running unopposed. Grin Guess the general all leans on getting your people out to vote but since this is a mid term election of a president's second term, the voting will skew republican from top to bottom here in MI and many other places. There won't be as much turn out from urban types affecting things in off years.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:28:50 AM

Doesn't matter much. Amash is comfortably ahead of Ellis, and he may not even do any campaigning for the primaries.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/06/poll_rep_justin_amash_leads_pr.html

Also, Michigan's 3rd congressional district is a Republican leaning one, and if there are no surprises, Amash should be reelected comfortably.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:31:38 AM

it also looks like eric cantor faced a defeat by a tea party guy without major financial backing.. this might be big news, since cantor is basically the 2nd in command for the house.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:36:06 AM

@beetcoin It is a huge story: you posted while I was typing/editing this post.

Has everyone heard about Eric Cantor getting beat in Virginia by a long-shot candidate?
It is a HUGE upset:

1) Cantor is/was a 'rare' house member with national name recognition.
2) He was widely viewed as the next Speaker of The House.
3) The 'tea party guy' wasn't expected to win.

When I have time, I need to check if the winner is a "real Liberty candidate" or just a "tea party" establishment phoney (i.e like Scott Brown, Marco Rubio, etc)

Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:39:51 AM

Has everyone heard about Eric Cantor getting beat in Virginia by a long-shot candidate?
It is a HUGE upset:

When I have time, I need to check if the winner is a "real Liberty candidate" or just a "tea party" establishment phoney (i.e like Scott Brown, Marco Rubio, etc)
Yep, Brat is a solid pro-liberty guy and I know people that were working on his campaign. This is definitely one for the history books and a big slap across the establishment's face. I've already put a tweet into Brat to get him to accept Bitcoin, so if he opens up the tap I hope yall will join me and put up some renegade money. Grin
beetcoin

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:42:58 AM

i think this happened because democrats are allowed to vote in the republican primaries.. if this is the case, i'd look for the republican to change that rule.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:44:46 AM

It is a HUGE upset:

Yep, Brat is a solid pro-liberty guy and I know people that were working on his campaign. This is definitely one for the history books and a big slap across the establishment's face. I've already put a tweet into Brat to get him to accept Bitcoin, so if he opens up the tap I hope yall will join me and put up some renegade money. Grin

Hey, that is great news Chef!  Smiley
Underdogs make for great memories (when they actually win), and having a solid candidate makes it even better.

tins

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:48:14 AM

i think this happened because democrats are allowed to vote in the republican primaries.. if this is the case, i'd look for the republican to change that rule.

Are registered Republicans not allowed to vote in Democratic primaries? What about independents?
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:48:37 AM

I heard the winner was against amnesty for millions of illegals and Cantor supported it, which is something that wouldn't appeal to too many Dems, but... If they thought getting rid of Cantor makes it easier to win in Nov, then that makes sense.

beetcoin

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:52:23 AM

I heard the winner was against amnesty for millions of illegals and Cantor supported it, which is something that wouldn't appeal to too many Dems, but... If they thought getting rid of Cantor makes it easier to win in Nov, then that makes sense.

i read on huffington post that some democrat, who was an actor on dukes of hazard, urged democrats to vote against cantor.. just as a "fuck you." and apparently it worked? duno, i'm looking it up now, because that doesn't make sense.

damn, the poll showed a 34% lead by cantor.. i guess polls are not entirely accurate, especially for smaller elections.
tins

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:54:31 AM

It's the top story on cnn.com
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/10/politics/primaries-cantor/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:06:59 AM

One RINO is down, but many more won yesterday. I was extremely disappointed with the results from South Carolina.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/us/politics/lindsey-graham-poised-to-hold-off-tea-party-challenge.html

Graham is the Rino #1. If the opposition was more united, then it would have been possible to topple him. Infighting destroyed that chance.  Angry
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:05:53 AM

One RINO is down, but many more won yesterday. I was extremely disappointed with the results from South Carolina.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/us/politics/lindsey-graham-poised-to-hold-off-tea-party-challenge.html

Graham is the Rino #1. If the opposition was more united, then it would have been possible to topple him. Infighting destroyed that chance.  Angry

Yes, the establishment still wins too often, but the growth of (small 'L') libertarianism has been amazing the last ~10 years.
Lindsey Graham interviews are/were tough to watch. He is one person I will not spend 2 seconds on ever again.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:15:29 AM

Yes, the establishment still wins too often, but the growth of (small 'L') libertarianism has been amazing the last ~10 years.
Lindsey Graham interviews are/were tough to watch. He is one person I will not spend 2 seconds on ever again.

What actually happened in South Carolina? Did the Democrat supporters took part in the Republican primary, just to ensure that Graham is selected as the Republican candidate?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 100 »
  Print  

Jump to: