Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:31:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 100 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GOP - Rand Paul's Presidential Highlight Reel w/ his Libertarian Twist  (Read 205766 times)
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:33:34 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2014, 02:51:32 AM by beetcoin

it would be cool if we had a paul/pau 2016 campaign.. though ron would have to pulled out of retirement  Cheesy
but i think they are too similar and wouldn't appeal enough to the populous.

The Libertarian faction of the GOP don't have the necessary support to win the POTUS elections. They should either align with the establishment faction or the Tea Party faction, in order to win the elections.

at this point, it'd be a safer pick to go with a liberterian republican than with a teabagger.. and it shows in the polls. i don't know how you come up with your conclusions at all.

seems like we don't agree on much, but this isn't even a political issue.. it's just extrapolation of the facts and data.
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2014/05/09/tea-party-losing-steam-among-republicans-gallup-poll/

whoever comes out with the GOP nomination will already be working at a disadvantage, since they will be talking about how super conservative they are during the primaries, and then how moderate they are during the 2016 election. if rand paul can somehow get the republican nomination while maintaining a moderate partner, it would give him the best chance.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:43:08 AM

Good news for all weed smokers.  Grin

Rand Paul And Cory Booker Team Up To Protect State Medical Marijuana Programs

http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/19/rand-paul-and-cory-booker-team-up-to-protect-state-medical-marijuana-programs/
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:58:43 AM

http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/19/rand-paul-and-cory-booker-team-up-to-protect-state-medical-marijuana-programs/
Damn, I was on the verge of landing that. CB is a bitch on the issues overall but he's a welcome ally here. Rand knows how to choose folks wisely.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 07:56:13 AM

Damn, I was on the verge of landing that. CB is a bitch on the issues overall but he's a welcome ally here. Rand knows how to choose folks wisely.

Great news for many reasons: First, medical marijuana has massive popular support, especially among people who tend to not care for politics.
Democrats will have trouble winning votes on the issue because Obama started "friendly", but eventually (the Feds) raided Medical Marijuana sites in several locations.

beetcoin

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:22:38 AM

Great news for many reasons: First, medical marijuana has massive popular support, especially among people who tend to not care for politics.
Democrats will have trouble winning votes on the issue because Obama started "friendly", but eventually (the Feds) raided Medical Marijuana sites in several locations.

weren't the places in colorado suspected of laundering money? i thought that was why it got the hammer. besides that, what has been raided?
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:30:23 AM

Good news for all weed smokers.  Grin

weren't the places in colorado suspected of laundering money? i thought that was why it got the hammer. besides that, what has been raided?

Good question: It's been a while since I thought about this.
A 2012 Rolling Stone article is mentioned in the HufPo piece with this quote:

"Amid an increased crackdown on medical marijuana producers across the nation, including a recent high-profile raid on a California training school, President Barack Obama faced questions in a new interview with Rolling Stone about the seeming disconnect between his 2008 campaign rhetoric and his administration's actions since he took office."

Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 05:24:06 PM

Rand Paul: U.S. foreign policy hurting Christians worldwide
By Seth McLaughlin
Friday, June 20, 2014

Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky said Friday that some Republicans are too eager to use the nation’s military might abroad without thinking through the unintended consequences of those actions.

Mr. Paul said the GOP must rethink its approach to foreign policy because of the negative blow back against Christians worldwide, pointing out that after the United States helped prop up the Shiite-led government of Iraqi prime minister Nouri al-Maliki that 225,000 Iraqi Christians fled in fear and many of settled in Syria, which is now embroiled in a bloody civil war.

“[President] Reagan spoke often of peace through strength,” Mr. Paul said at the Faith and Freedom Coalition’s “Road to Majority” conference in Washington. “I fear that some in our nation and some in our party have forgotten the first part of the sentence — that peace should be our goal, even as we build our strength.”

“Some in our party have distorted this belief of peace through strength into a misguided belief that we should should protect strength through war,” Mr. Paul said. “Even when we have tried through good intentions to make the world a better place, our actions have often backfired.”
more...http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/20/sen-rand-paul-us-foreign-policy-hurting-christians/
I couldn't handle hanging out w/ all those overtly religious types but kudos to Rand for phrasing the non-intervention message accordingly. I can only imagine what Rubio had to say. Despite being a religious person to some extent, by and large most of them are so gullible and short sighted.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 05:30:44 PM

Good news for all weed smokers.  Grin

Good question: It's been a while since I thought about this.
A 2012 Rolling Stone article is mentioned in the HufPo piece with this quote:

"Amid an increased crackdown on medical marijuana producers across the nation, including a recent high-profile raid on a California training school, President Barack Obama faced questions in a new interview with Rolling Stone about the seeming disconnect between his 2008 campaign rhetoric and his administration's actions since he took office."

more recently, obama's administration has laxed on marijuana legal enforcement though. they've gone on record to say that they won't bother with pressuring a state like colorado, since marijuana is still federally illegal.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 05:51:04 PM

more recently, obama's administration has laxed on marijuana legal enforcement though. they've gone on record to say that they won't bother with pressuring a state like colorado, since marijuana is still federally illegal.

Colorado is amazing really. It is very surprising that the Feds are allowing states rights to go so far.

Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:24:16 PM

Colorado is amazing really. It is very surprising that the Feds are allowing states rights to go so far.
For one, it's too close to the midterm elections to dampen democrats already haphazard chances at staying the majority in the Senate for Obama to use the hotboys to clamp down on civil rights. More so, the boom in jobs, cannabis related businesses and tax revenue in CO would deteriorate if the iron fist came down in any fashion on this. Finally, polls already show Rand Paul beating Hillary in a theoretical match up in CO which is a key swing state that usually leans dem. So, in 2014 and going into 2016 there could be historic issues arising from a crackdown that would not only produce an initial backlash against democrats but also give a libertarian like Paul a major advantage in securing the nomination by having such high polling numbers against the hypothetical democrat in such a state thus making many of the non-insider, establishment republicans lean even more in his direction, thus complicating the insider one party system.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:37:00 PM

For one, it's too close to the midterm elections to dampen democrats already haphazard chances at staying the majority in the Senate for Obama to use the hotboys to clamp down on civil rights. More so, the boom in jobs, cannabis related businesses and tax revenue in CO would deteriorate if the iron fist came down in any fashion on this. Finally, polls already show Rand Paul beating Hillary in a theoretical match up in CO which is a key swing state that usually leans dem. So, in 2014 and going into 2016 there could be historic issues arising from a crackdown that would not only produce an initial backlash against democrats but also give a libertarian like Paul a major advantage in securing the nomination by having such high polling numbers against the hypothetical democrat in such a state thus making many of the non-insider, establishment republicans lean even more in his direction, thus complicating the insider one party system.

we'll see if that really happens. the way it looks to me right now is wishful thinking, especially with the rand paul gaining popularity because of marijuana. actually, i would put money on rand paul not getting support from the GOP base, because they are way too extremist.

the most likely thing to happen is a repeat of 2012. the republican who comes out of the primaries will have tried his hardest to convince the base (primary voters) that he is ultraconservative. and when the presidential election comes around, he will try to convince everyone how he is a moderate/libertarian. hilary will call him out for flip flopping. that's assuming that he even gets the nod.. which isn't even a given like it is for hilary.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:50:49 PM

I'd argue Rand's biggest opponent in 2016, especially if he gets to the GE, is going to be the Kochtopus association, which is about as popular as Dick Cheney (at least in MI, where pretty much the only TV political ads have been bashing Terri Land for months over her alleged Koch connections). Democrats, though, I really doubt have any chance of a '16 pres. victory unless maybe they do a Hail Mary with someone like Warren. A good part of Rand winning the GOP primary, I think, will be reaching out to Dems and suggesting they should switch parties in undemocratic states where you need to "pre-affiliate" yourself with a party to vote in their primary, while the chance of this happening greatly increases if traditional Dem affiliates buy the premise premise that Dems have bleak '16 odds and they need to settle with a lesser of evils within the GOP. It's going to be a very interesting year, I think.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:05:25 PM

I'd argue Rand's biggest opponent in 2016, especially if he gets to the GE, is going to be the Kochtopus association, which is about as popular as Dick Cheney (at least in MI, where pretty much the only TV political ads have been bashing Terri Land for months over her alleged Koch connections). Democrats, though, I really doubt have any chance of a '16 pres. victory unless maybe they do a Hail Mary with someone like Warren. A good part of Rand winning the GOP primary, I think, will be reaching out to Dems and suggesting they should switch parties in undemocratic states where you need to "pre-affiliate" yourself with a party to vote in their primary, while the chance of this happening greatly increases if traditional Dem affiliates buy the premise premise that Dems have bleak '16 odds and they need to settle with a lesser of evils within the GOP. It's going to be a very interesting year, I think.

if i knew you, i'd love to make a bet with you. democrats the underdog? i don't think so.. i'm not saying i want them to win, but objectively speaking, the republicans are getting in their own way. whether anyone likes it or not, hilary is much more popular than any republican i can think of.. it's why fox has been bashing her so much lately.

the funny thing is that.. the koch brothers are actually libertarians  Cheesy
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:17:33 PM

if i knew you, i'd love to make a bet with you. democrats the underdog? i don't think so.. i'm not saying i want them to win, but objectively speaking, the republicans are getting in their own way. whether anyone likes it or not, hilary is much more popular than any republican i can think of.. it's why fox has been bashing her so much lately.

the funny thing is that.. the koch brothers are actually libertarians  Cheesy
Kochs are arguably libertarians, but I'd disagree. Maybe they were at some point, like Alan Greenspan allegedly was. There's a pretty decent and comical book going over almost all the libertarian factions - "Radicals for Capitalism." It covers everyone from the Kochs to Ayn, to my personal favorite, Robert Anton Wilson. It obviously has some libertarian bias, but it's a fun, detailed book no matter your political orientation. If I didn't lose the book in a warehouse I lived in for a while, I'd offer to ship it to you at no charge.

I'd take you up on the bet, but I'm financially strapped at the moment. How about reverse bragging rights based on the party which wins the '16 GE? I'll be sure to remind you when I win either way. Tongue
beetcoin

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:31:12 PM

the funny thing is that.. the koch brothers are actually libertarians  Cheesy
Kochs are arguably libertarians, but I'd disagree. Maybe they were at some point, like Alan Greenspan allegedly was. There's a pretty decent and comical book going over almost all the libertarian factions - "Radicals for Capitalism." It covers everyone from the Kochs to Ayn, to my personal favorite, Robert Anton Wilson. It obviously has some libertarian bias, but it's a fun, detailed book no matter your political orientation. If I didn't lose the book in a warehouse I lived in for a while, I'd offer to ship it to you at no charge.

I'd take you up on the bet, but I'm financially strapped at the moment. How about reverse bragging rights based on the party which wins the '16 GE? I'll be sure to remind you when I win either way. Tongue

ha, you can't just cast them away as "not one of us" when they become unpopular. they are definitely right-wingish, but they also have libertarian ideals.. just like rand paul.

i'm glad there are people who think like you do, so i can win money off them. did you think romney had a chance in 2012?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:47:37 PM

ha, you can't just cast them away as "not one of us" when they become unpopular. they are definitely right-wingish, but they also have libertarian ideals.. just like rand paul.

i'm glad there are people who think like you do, so i can win money off them. did you think romney had a chance in 2012?
I didn't follow in '11/'12 after Ron dropped (actually, I followed and participated in the Libertarian Party until they nominated Barr over Ruwart). If you asked me in early-mid '12, though, I may've said McCain was running against Obama. Cheesy What kind of libertarian ideals do you think the Kochs have? Selective tax breaks? Cheesy
beetcoin

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:52:31 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2014, 10:30:06 PM by beetcoin

I didn't follow in '11/'12 after Ron dropped (actually, I followed and participated in the Libertarian Party until they nominated Barr over Ruwart). If you asked me in early-mid '12, though, I may've said McCain was running against Obama. Cheesy What kind of libertarian ideals do you think the Kochs have? Selective tax breaks? Cheesy

mccain after 2008? that makes completely 0 sense.. has there ever been a time when a nominee lost the presidential election and came back again to win it? besides, mccain blunder 2008.. especially with picking sarah palin.

anyway, concerning the koch brothers, i believe they are ancaps.. they want complete obliteration of any form of government. and since they can't get that, they decided to meddle.

i might want to get the koch brothers book.. they sound like "interesting" people.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/rand-paul-abortion_n_5516219.html

Paul led a parade of ambitious Republicans on a Friday speaking program — including New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and 2012 presidential candidate Rick Santorum — that featured aggressive defenses of social conservative priorities, including opposition to abortion, gay marriage and funding for Planned Parenthood. The gathering highlights the delicate balancing act Republican leaders face as they work to bridge divisions within the party and improve the GOP's image.

and heeeeeeeeeeere we go, rand is now placating to the far right who want to control people on abortion issues. i don't know how a "true" libertarian could claim that the government should decide whether you can have an abortion or not. how are you rand paul lovers going to defend this?
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:29:17 PM

anyway, concerning the koch brothers, i believe they are ancaps.. they want complete obliteration of any form of government. and since they can't get that, they decided to meddle.

i might want to get the koch brothers book.. they sound like "interesting" people.

Actually, they strike me more as socialists.  Their (very good) livelyhood is based on privatizing valuable resources currently owned by society, making money off society by supplying the resources in a more usable form, and socializing the losses in terms of using societie's atmosphere, lands, etc, as a toxic waste dumping ground.

I've never seen any sign that the Koch bros wish to do away with society.  They certainly take an active roll in forging it into a shape which suites there purposes however.  Both through lobbying and selecting our leaderships, and in directly influencing public opinion through media campaigns, astroturf, etc.

If the Koch brothers were ancaps they would be killing to goose that is laying them golden eggs.  In no way, shape, or form are they that stupid.  One of them has, as I understand things, a graduate degree from MIT.  He's likely North of genius level, and I doubt that his brother is far behind.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 01:56:12 AM

Report: GOP Gives Rand Paul Head Start in Early 2016 Primaries

The Republican National Committee has opened a pathway to the presidential nomination for Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul with a primary schedule that favors the potential libertarian-leaning tea party candidate.

The Daily Beast says that the committee’s format calling for Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada to hold their primaries first gives Paul a "huge advantage" over rivals like former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

Paul’s father, former Rep. Ron Paul, laid the groundwork for his son while campaigning over the years as a Libertarian to become president, and "those same ties" give Paul a vital head start in three of the early primary states.

"If the senator were to win or even put together a decent showing there, Republicans say he may have momentum that is impossible to slow," said the Beast’s David Freelander. "No Republican has won Iowa and New Hampshire and failed to win the nomination.

"Of course, no one can discuss the 2016 presidential race without massive caveats about handicapping a race at least six months before a single candidate has declared. But the champagne-popping in the Paulite corridors has not gone unnoticed."

Matt Mackowiak, a Texas-based Republican consultant and a veteran of George W. Bush’s re-election campaign, concurred, saying, "If Rand were to win two of those first three or three of those first four, he would be a train gathering a lot of steam."
More interesting perspectives both ways...http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Rand-Paul-primaries-New-Hampshire/2014/05/14/id/571236/
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 04:46:35 PM

Hmm... is this going to be successful? The evangelicals really hate Rand Paul as far as I know.  Angry

Courting Evangelicals, Rand Paul Vows To 'Stand Up For Unborn Children'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/rand-paul-abortion_n_5516219.html
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 100 »
  Print  

Jump to: