Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:32:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Conference 2011 NYC  (Read 66378 times)
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:06:02 PM

Bitcoin Conference 2011 NYC

EDIT:  We have announced that it WILL be August 18-21, here in NYC, at the OnlyOneTV Studios.

______

We're happy to host the event at our new OnlyOneTV Studios here on 5th Avenue in Manhattan, New York City.   We have the entire 5th floor, lots of room, lots of internet, etc.  ....and restaurants deliver free.  :-)

I'm envisioning presentations.... even "booths" or tables...  and hackathons with specific objectives.   We can even go into the wee hours if we want to.

What could be more fun?

( We just registered http://bitcoinconference.com )

Reply with a cc to me via email to be certain I get it:  bruce@onlyonetv.com

Making plans to be here. I haven't seen my dad in a few years, he lives in Manhattan, so perfect opportunity ! Cheesy What is your aim here exactly? Do you want publicity? Or do you want this to be a closed meeting? I have advanced experience in social marketing, and we can make this event epic if we try hard enough..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
triforcelink

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:14:08 PM

I bet its going to be a huge turnout. I will be there for sure!

Bruce Wagner (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:14:48 PM

Yes, the final date was set.

Check out:  BitcoinConference.com
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 02:21:49 AM

This is a great idea, I'm hoping to attend... will know better closer to the date.

Is there an agenda yet?
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 09:26:51 PM

Interesting. I'll try to get there too.

-
dirtflower

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:27:26 AM

Yes, the final date was set.

Check out:  BitcoinConference.com

fyi - The site says TrafeHill.com not TradeHill.com

lemonginger

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 05:09:14 AM

it's weird to me that it sounds more like a sales pitch for a motivational speaker conference than an open source con/camp.

eh, whatever, maybe just personal tastes. Hope that lots of productive meetups and codesprints occur!
Capitan

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 05:40:32 AM

it's weird to me that it sounds more like a sales pitch for a motivational speaker conference than an open source con/camp.

eh, whatever, maybe just personal tastes. Hope that lots of productive meetups and codesprints occur!

No, it's not weird at all. No offense to Mr. Wagner, I'm sure he really believes in the Bitcoin idea, but after I watched some of his videos on YouTube I got a similar impression. It made me question that I had an interest in the same thing this guy seemed to be trying to sell so hard. He comes off like a confidence man. The vibe I get from him is that if he were trying to convince me to enter into business with him or conduct a transaction with him, I would not trust him and would spend the entire conversation trying to figure out how he was trying to con me.

I don't mean to insult him and I have nothing personal against him, and I'm not insinuating that he is doing anything underhanded. I'm just saying that public perception is important and at the subconscious levels, with things like body language, and the way he talks, he does not instill confidence. You get the sense that he's trying to gas you up and that in turn makes you suspicious. It could be that he's just really excited about the idea and simply lacks charisma. I'm not going to pretend to know why he gives the impression that he does. Lemonginger and I both separately came to the same conclusion so I'm sure that there are others who get the same impression from Bruce Wagner.

As the so called face of Bitcoin, the PR man for Bitcoin, he is not going to be convincing any outsiders to join up.
samablog

Activity: 30

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 11:24:07 AM

BitCon is a poor naming choince, given the accusations of Bitcoin being a ponzi scheme. And the website doesn't give much info. How much will it coat to attend?n how many exhibitors?  Have hotel discounts been negotiated?  There's a lot of work to a conference, and I'm not seeing the basics listed on the site...
oneforall

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 02:25:02 PM

BitCon is a poor naming choince, given the accusations of Bitcoin being a ponzi scheme. And the website doesn't give much info. How much will it coat to attend?n how many exhibitors?  Have hotel discounts been negotiated?  There's a lot of work to a conference, and I'm not seeing the basics listed on the site...

lol. "There's a lot of work to a conference". buddy, there can be as much or as little work to a conference as the person taking the time to make the conference want to do. Just b/c this is not going to be the kind of conference run out of a big fancy vegas hotel with discounts and entry fees and whatever else is no reason to not hold a conference. it is a meeting of minds, you sure do have a depressing, pessimistic attitude and that is probably why you just sit at home on your computer and nag and bitch about people who live their lives in a way that makes things happen. i hope this answers your question.

I realize I've been a little presumptuous. Maybe you are taking the initiative to create a conference somewhere the likes of which you have described?
samablog

Activity: 30

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 03:37:35 PM

you sure do have a depressing, pessimistic attitude and that is probably why you just sit at home on your computer and nag and bitch about people who live their lives in a way that makes things happen. i hope this answers your question.

Wow.  I don't even know what to say to that. I'd be inclined to return the name calling volley, but that wouldn't be productive.

I'm just saying that there's a difference between a meetup and a conference or expo. There's also a difference between constructive criticism and name calling. Apparently, not everyone knows the difference.

I may or may not be planning something, but I'm relatively certain now that this is not the place to announce such a thing.
oneforall

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:41:47 PM

you sure do have a depressing, pessimistic attitude and that is probably why you just sit at home on your computer and nag and bitch about people who live their lives in a way that makes things happen. i hope this answers your question.

Wow.  I don't even know what to say to that. I'd be inclined to return the name calling volley, but that wouldn't be productive.

I'm just saying that there's a difference between a meetup and a conference or expo. There's also a difference between constructive criticism and name calling. Apparently, not everyone knows the difference.

I may or may not be planning something, but I'm relatively certain now that this is not the place to announce such a thing.

there is a difference between name calling and observations. are you under the impression that your post  was not portraying an attitude which was depressing or pessimistic or nagging? http://dictionary.reference.com/ here is a link incase you are not a native english speaker.

btw, 'bitch' in that sentence was used as verb, not a noun. for the verb definition of it you will need to use an urban dictionary probably. I agree that name calling is petty, however to me, words that are used to describe an action that are accompanied with proof(my quoting your post) is not petty name calling. it would be like if there was proof of someone murdering someone else, calling that individual a murderer is not mere 'name calling' but a description of something that has occured. if you wish not to have your actions/yourself labeled a certain way, then the easy solution is not to act/be a certain way.

if, as you claim your intentions really were to point out that this upcoming event did not fall into your definition of a conference but rather a 'meet-up', then there were more tactful ways of doing so. here is one such example for future reference:

"In what ways will this event be differing from the meet-ups that regularly occur in the same venue?"

see, it is clear, concise, not attacking, and it requests the information that you claim to be after. I hope my post has been easy to understand and will help you reevaluate how you approach others whom you share a planet with. I do admit that my reason for typing this out for you is selfish, as I prefer to live in a world where dialogue centers around productivity, and uplifting dialogue.

manifold

Activity: 62

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 01:33:44 PM

Can you make a video tour of the conference? That would be great!
sublimnl

Activity: 96

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 04:33:20 AM

Hah, I work two blocks away from the location - will be there.
FXRiot

Activity: 38

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 01:17:23 AM

I'd love to go.  Unfortunately this year I may not be able to. But I will try.

(An FX Riot booth sounds just too cool)
Bruce Wagner (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 06:21:42 AM

Actually,  there will be international television news camera crews there, from what they tell me....   not to mention that it's hosted by The Bitcoin Show and OnlyOneTV.... so I have a feeling there will be a LOT of video being shot there.... live streaming and otherwise.   Smiley

The http://bitcoinconference.com page has been updated, and Registration is now open.   The Agenda is there as well.

More speakers will be inserted as they confirm.

No.  Definitely not like any Meetup ever....  People are flying in from China, London, Australia, Central and South America, Europe, you name it.   Rumor has it that one group may even be chartering a private jet to fly in.

All the biggest names, brightest minds, and most exciting new ventures.... will be converging on Gotham to come together and make magic here.  

This is going to be one event --- The World's First --- not to miss!
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 06:31:01 AM

Bruce you have already sold 5 vendor tables.  How many more can you fit?  these are selling out fast.

by the way, check out our new logo  Grin  designed by evoorhees

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 06:35:50 AM

Looks like the prices doubled in the last day or 2?  Was 1 bitcoin admission now 2? 10 bitcoins for a table instead of 5?
Keyur @ Camp BX

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 07:01:40 AM

Thank you for organizing the conference Bruce - Camp BX will be there!
   - Keyur

Please stay tuned to our news and announcements feeds at:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CampBX
Facebook: https://facebook.com/CampBX
Gabriel Beal

Activity: 210

Fezzik, tear his arms off.

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 12:17:49 PM

Well, we were thinking seriously of going, but I guess we waited too long.  The price for a vendor table jumped from 5 to 10 and is now at 75.  I guess that means there's a lot of demand.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: