Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:13:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Conference 2011 NYC  (Read 66377 times)
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 09:19:58 PM

From the Bitcoin conference site:
History in the Making

Already, one of the largest television news networks in the world has told us they will be here broadcasting live.   And, of course, OnlyOneTV.com global television network is sponsoring and hosting the event... so you can be sure that we will be broadcasting the entire event live as well.

Wall to Wall Major Global Media

Some of the media outlets who have said they will be here include:

CNN International
Al Jazeera English
Blomberg Television
Wall Street Journal
The New York Observer
BusinessWeek
Wired Magazine
SmarterMoney
NPR
Forbes
Fortune
CNN / Money
The Atlantic
Radio Australia
Freedomain Radio

It's Monday. No coverage of this conference found in Google News or Bing News so far. Zero. Nothing.   Not even a mention in major tech blogs.

From the pictures of the event, it looks like about fifty people showed up.

I think it was actually about 100 people.  Pretty good for the first one!

As for the news.....  there is a big article coming out, should be extremely detailed and well researched.  

"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bruce Wagner (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 10:44:07 PM

As I said before, I cannot guarantee that when someone tells me, "We'll be there!"  ...that they actually WILL be there.

Every one of those news organizations told me that they would be there, or that they "were very interested in" being there.  

The Press that was in attendance -- that I know of -- includes:

• Wired Magazine
  • The New York Observer
  • Scientific American
  • IEEE
  • Gawker Media

...and a few others I can't remember right now.

ALSO...

According to Manny, the manual head count done during the Keynotes was approximately 120 - 140 people.   However, many people came Thursday through Friday and could not be there on Saturday.   Also, many people flowed through during the day, and were out in private meetings during those times...  And, some key people did not arrive until Sunday... for example, Jered from TradeHill could not arrive until Sunday.

So, my guess is that we had a total of 150+ people, in all.

HOWEVER...

As I have said many times before....  It's all about the QUALITY.... not the QUANTITY... or the people.

If you wonder how the event really went....   ask someone who was actually there.

And...

JUST WAIT till you see what we have in store for Pattaya....
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 10:54:17 PM

As I said before, I cannot guarantee that when someone tells me, "We'll be there!"  ...that they actually WILL be there.

Every one of those news organizations told me that they would be there, or that they "were very interested in" being there.  

The Press that was in attendance -- that I know of -- includes:

• Wired Magazine
  • The New York Observer
  • Scientific American
  • IEEE
  • Gawker Media

...and a few others I can't remember right now.

ALSO...

According to Manny, the manual head count done during the Keynotes was approximately 120 - 140 people.   However, many people came Thursday through Friday and could not be there on Saturday.   Also, many people flowed through during the day, and were out in private meetings during those times...  And, some key people did not arrive until Sunday... for example, Jered from TradeHill could not arrive until Sunday.

So, my guess is that we had a total of 150+ people, in all.

HOWEVER...

As I have said many times before....  It's all about the QUALITY.... not the QUANTITY... or the people.

If you wonder how the event really went....   ask someone who was actually there.

And...

What is "Pattaya"?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

shads

Activity: 266
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 01:13:16 AM

Did anyone get video of jgarzik's presentation?  If so please post it somewhere.

PoolServerJ Home Page - High performance java mining pool engine

Quote from: Matthew N. Wright
Stop wasting the internet.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 01:23:56 AM

I enjoyed the conference, and I usually hate conferences.

Apologies to everybody who I met and whose name I've already forgotten.  My secret super-power is forgetting names.

And congratulations and a big Thank You to Bruce and company for organizing and making it happen!

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:03:42 AM

That's because most conferences aren't about something as freaking awesome as Bitcoin.
bc

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:04:51 AM

It was a good event. The presenters did a great job.

It was great meeting so many people willing to talk about something that everyone else I know either wouldn't understand, or has heard enough of already. I learned plenty.

It was amazing to be at a conference where people flew in from all over the world to discuss an industry that didn't exist a few months ago, and which has such potential to improve the world.

No one knew what to expect. Apparently most people registered on Thu, Fri, or at the door. It's easy to blame Bruce for over-hyping the event, but it's much harder to put yourself out there and organize a first-of-its-kind event. Kudos to Bruce.

"Democracy is the original 51% attack." - Erik Voorhees
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 02:42:37 AM

Apologies to everybody who I met and whose name I've already forgotten.  My secret super-power is forgetting names.

And congratulations and a big Thank You to Bruce and company for organizing and making it happen!

10 Tricks to Remembering Names http://jessenowlin.com/blog-4  Caution is advised when using #3: Imagine the person's name written across his forehead. Don't make the mistake of referring to Sally Peterman as Sally Dickman.

Now a word (or words) about this Pattaya meatup (no spelling error here). I have a feeling this venue will be nipped in the butt bud (damn! neither, or both, work well here) within 24 hours.

Would anyone care to take a stub as to what the answer to that is? If you can't, then I pat you on your back for saving yourself till you're married.

Let's think about this for a second, can we? I'll use ye ole standby dialog to make my case.

Him: Honey! I'm going to Pattaya to attend a Bitcoin conference and will be gone for about a week.
Her: That's nice dear. Have a safe trip.
Her: (5 minutes later after Googling Pattaya) You're going where? I don't think so! Now if it was in Vegas, I wouldn't mind as much. In fact, I would probably go with you.

Obscure! I don't think so!

Now, if this is a conference for a bunch of young, unmarried men, then it's a great venue--for them and you (got me a thinkin' here--nevermind!). Doesn't a conference in Pattaya automatically shut the door to most ladies and older gentlemen? Perhaps you did give a lot of thought about the potential media coverage.

Headline: Expo Lad Arrested in Sting: Tried to Pay for Sex with Bitcoin

I'm not a rocket scientist, but I do know how not to make a rocket.

With that said, please reconsider Pattaya. I love your show, and you're pretty OK. But this Pattaya thing needs to be nipped in the...

defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 07:03:58 AM

According to Manny, the manual head count done during the Keynotes was approximately 120 - 140 people.

That's absolutely amazing for a first time conference not really being majorly advertised in the weeks running up to it.

Well done.

gressen

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 07:19:11 AM

mind linking the thread?

I don't think our minds have evolved enough.

Bravo!
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 09:50:12 AM

I have to say that I agree with Phinnaeus Gage on the Pattaya thing. That's the most suspicious place in the world to have a nerdy Bitcoin-conference. Seriously, it's well known for endless couples of 50+ white males with a young thai "girlfriend". It's one of my least favorite places in Thailand, uhhh.

Having the conference in Bangkok at a nice central location would be slightly better but Pattaya... omg. Well, I hope it works out.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 10:06:43 AM

Having the conference in Bangkok at a nice central location would be slightly better but Pattaya... omg. Well, I hope it works out.

I agree just organize it for the capital then people can slip down to Pattaya or wherever else afterward if they feel like it.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 11:55:02 AM

I agree just organize it for the capital then people can slip down to Pattaya or wherever else afterward if they feel like it.
Exactly. That would make a lot more sense.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 12:17:50 PM

Wich Bitcon is coming first?
Thailand or Amsterdam?

Thank you.

stsbrad

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Brad Willman, SSCP, LTCP, MCTS,SCE,BCE

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:51:56 PM

I can't remember the name of the guy and his company but who was that guy at the conference that made the announcement that he was selling basically "anything" on his new site with coins? Anyone have that URL? I think it was basically an amazon of bitcoin.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 03:07:31 PM

I can't remember the name of the guy and his company but who was that guy at the conference that made the announcement that he was selling basically "anything" on his new site with coins? Anyone have that URL? I think it was basically an amazon of bitcoin.
That was probably http://www.bitcoindeals.com/ .

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 03:36:02 PM

I have to say that I agree with Phinnaeus Gage on the Pattaya thing. That's the most suspicious place in the world to have a nerdy Bitcoin-conference. Seriously, it's well known for endless couples of 50+ white males with a young thai "girlfriend". It's one of my least favorite places in Thailand, uhhh.

Let's slow down here and rethink this a bit. Did you say 50+ white males with young Thai girlfriends? Perhaps I could blend in with this crowd. I take back my post.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:10:54 PM

The site it just great. You can buy almost anything with bitcoins. This is breakthrough.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 05:02:42 PM

The site it just great. You can buy almost anything with bitcoins. This is breakthrough.

Yes, it could be, as soon as it goes live.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 05:03:52 PM

It is live. Follow them on twitter and you can may get an invitation code

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: