Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:08:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Conference 2011 NYC  (Read 66378 times)
Anonymous

August 24, 2011, 03:30:09 AM

I feel sad for the people equating being gay with being a pedophile.

Huh
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 03:35:01 AM

I feel sad for the people equating being gay with being a pedophile.

Huh

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 03:40:29 AM

They're still bloody expensive to use even though it's cheaper to rent your own and get your own plan than to use the cruise line's facilities.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 04:19:08 AM

I don't know how an internet currency is supposed to work on a cruise liner with little to no internet connectivity. Good luck with that!
Cruises have satellite internet spread out via wifi to passengers.

But they overcharge for the access, or so I've heard. It will be an excellent test of bitcoin's ability to work in limited connectivity areas, if anything.

I did a quick google search on the costs of internet access on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean and I did not
like what I saw. Think pay by the minute ranging from .35 cents and up... more like up...

I never really thought about the cost but just doing an hour's worth of work on the boat could cost 30 dollars. ow.
EVERYTHING is expensive on a cruise ship, except for the stuff that is thrown in for free.  You've got to come prepared to spend that kind of money.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 11:50:07 AM

I enjoyed the conference, and I usually hate conferences.

Apologies to everybody who I met and whose name I've already forgotten.  My secret super-power is forgetting names.

And congratulations and a big Thank You to Bruce and company for organizing and making it happen!

10 Tricks to Remembering Names http://jessenowlin.com/blog-4  Caution is advised when using #3: Imagine the person's name written across his forehead. Don't make the mistake of referring to Sally Peterman as Sally Dickman. (edited to bold for this post)

Now a word (or words) about this Pattaya meatup (no spelling error here). I have a feeling this venue will be nipped in the butt bud (damn! neither, or both, work well here) within 24 hours.

JUST WAIT till you see what we have in store for Pattaya....

Would anyone care to take a stub as to what the answer to that is? If you can't, then I pat you on your back for saving yourself till you're married.

Let's think about this for a second, can we? I'll use ye ole standby dialog to make my case.

Him: Honey! I'm going to Pattaya to attend a Bitcoin conference and will be gone for about a week.
Her: That's nice dear. Have a safe trip.
Her: (5 minutes later after Googling Pattaya) You're going where? I don't think so! Now if it was in Vegas, I wouldn't mind as much. In fact, I would probably go with you.

Obscure! I don't think so!

Now, if this is a conference for a bunch of young, unmarried men, then it's a great venue--for them and you (got me a thinkin' here--nevermind!)(edited to bold for this post). Doesn't a conference in Pattaya automatically shut the door to most ladies and older gentlemen? Perhaps you did give a lot of thought about the potential media coverage.

Headline: Expo Lad Arrested in Sting: Tried to Pay for Sex with Bitcoin

I'm not a rocket scientist, but I do know how not to make a rocket.

With that said, please reconsider Pattaya. I love your show, and you're pretty OK. But this Pattaya thing needs to be nipped in the...

Before I get called out on this, I want to offer my deepest apologies to Bruce Wagner and anyone else reading this who is (the word I want to use here is omitted). When I wrote the above quoted post, now with the phrases highlighted in bold, I had no idea. Yes, I may have used sexual innuendos in past post, but never, ever, in reference to a certain community. I now feel like I may have crossed that line with the bold phrase above in reference to Pattaya. Forgive me.

I've done more than my share of reading this board, in fact, putting in many hours prior to becoming a member. And nowhere did I read about Bruce being ( ). And that's a good thing, for that shouldn't be an issue what-so-ever when it comes to Bitcoin. I did read posts in a thread once (although the thread was of a different subject matter) about this issue--members going back and forth about what is right, wrong, indifferent, etc. But that was about it in a nutshell. I always kept those posts in mind when I write on this board, for fear of being called out on this issue.

How I found out ---> NPR has a new article today (audio coming up later this morning on Morning Edition) http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/08/24/138673630/what-is-bitcoin

I read the article and at the end it linked to Episode 33 of which I watched before. But at the very beginning, Bruce said something I missed. He mentions Ed as his business partner and in life. Holy Shit! What did I just post! Hence this apology.

With all that said, PLEASE, once again, accept my dearest apologies on this issue.

Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 12:09:50 PM

Before I get called out on this, I want to offer my deepest apologies to Bruce Wagner and anyone else reading this who is (the word I want to use here is omitted). [...]

[...] And nowhere did I read about Bruce being ( ). And that's a good thing, for that shouldn't be an issue what-so-ever when it comes to Bitcoin.

What, gay?  It's not a bad word, you don't have to censor it.
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 02:22:59 PM

That just strikes me as sad. What group of people would decide those are the best two places to hold conferences?
What does that say about them and the people they are hoping to attend via those city attractions?

I think it says something about some people's (nationalities?) associations. Us europeans are quite used to going to Amsterdam for conferences. Last one I attended there was OSiM - Open Source in Mobile.

(Thailand I've never been to, but in my local country Pattaya is referred to as the biggest tourist centre and lists lots of family activites)

Ok. I see your point and the previous poster. It is a major city with the right infrastructure to support such a convention easily.
It does have things to do and see that are not drug and sex related.

but, lol.. whatever. I can just picture the conversation that happened when choosing them. Amsterdam.. the double play city.

You would think, though, that since bitcoin is susceptible to mainstream media fearmongering that it would be wise to avoid any hint of unnecessary edgeiness. 

There are thousands of places on the planet that could handle a conference like this.  New York was a good choice, it is a capital of international finance after all.  Now how about London?  Zurich?  Tokyo?  Even Rio, Dubai, or heck holding it in Tripoli should bring some free media!  Even the heart of the beast - Washington D.C.  You know, some place where there are lots of bitcoiners already, and some place where there is media hanging out.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 02:30:51 PM

Before I get called out on this, I want to offer my deepest apologies to Bruce Wagner and anyone else reading this who is (the word I want to use here is omitted). [...]

[...] And nowhere did I read about Bruce being ( ). And that's a good thing, for that shouldn't be an issue what-so-ever when it comes to Bitcoin.

What, gay?  It's not a bad word, you don't have to censor it.

At the time of writing the post, I was more interested in covering my ass, hence didn't want to make any more waves by using the word gay. At any rate, I hope that this is a mute issue, for there's a lot of work ahead of us concerning Bitcoin.

Thank you Bruce Wagner for taking your time and effort in putting together the first Bitcoin Conference (2011 NYC).

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 04:54:19 PM

JUST WAIT till you see what we have in store for Pattaya....
If only 100-150 people showed up in New York City, far fewer are going to go to Thailand. A financial center like Tokyo or Hong Kong or London or Beijing would make more sense. Sounds like someone just wants to take a vacation.

Getting only 100 or so people to show up in New York is an embarrassing failure. You can get 100 people to show up for anything in New York City.
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 06:08:45 PM

Hmmm, to bad you guys didn't connect the camera audio to the microphone.
I thought you guys had a little more experience with audio problems now.
I mean, don't you test this before you start something this important? Sad

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 06:33:00 PM

A financial center like Tokyo or Hong Kong or London or Beijing would make more sense. Sounds like someone just wants to take a vacation.

I hate to say it.... but I agree.

Hong Kong would make a lot more sense.

Getting only 100 or so people to show up in New York is an embarrassing failure. You can get 100 people to show up for anything in New York City.

The quality of the crowd matters.  Getting together 100 random people is irrelevant.  Getting together 100 people who are working on doing something interesting in bitcoin is -- and was, last weekend -- very useful.  Building Community 101.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 06:56:54 PM

This is a ridiculously stupid statement. The conference wasn't a mass public event with a high marketing budget, it was meant for people who are Bitcoin-enthusiasts and truly interested in knowing what's going on behind the scenes.

I don't think anyone was expecting more people to show up, it was a fine amount.

One thing that sucks about the conference was that there was basically no proper live streams or anything like that. In this day and age that can be called an epic fail.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Bruce Wagner (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 08:05:15 PM

Yes.   We agree.    The OnlyOneTV Team agrees that the lack of live streams was a big fail.    I assure you that that won't happen again.

Fortunately, all the videos are viewable at http://onlyonetv.com now.

I may as well announce what I've been working on the past 48 hours....

Upcoming Bitcoin Conferences:

Dubai, Pattaya, Sydney, San Francisco, Mumbai, Amsterdam, Moscow, Tokyo, Rio de Janeiro, New York, Shenzhen, and London

See Map:  http://goo.gl/tjjQD

The only dates that have been officially announced are:

• Pattaya / Feb 16-19, 2012
  • Amsterdam / June 14-17, 2012
  • New York City / Oct 18-21, 2012
  • Bitcoin World Cruise / Feb 26-Mar 10, 2013

As we work out the details, final dates, venues, etc....  we will be posting them on http://bitcoinconference.com and here in this thread.

My hope is that each of these cities could have a recurring Bitcoin Conference annually.

Obviously, planning this many Bitcoin Conferences is an enormous undertaking....   But I have taken on enormous undertakings before.     Wish me luck.    Smiley
jack102938

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 08:09:17 PM

Wish me luck.    Smiley

Good luck and I hope it all goes well  Smiley
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 08:10:28 PM

I have full faith in you Bruce..  you did an awesome job at the first one... you'll do an awesome job for the rest of them as well.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 08:13:00 PM

Bruce, I don't want to imagine where bitcoin would be without you.

Well done and keep going. Don't get demotivated by people criticizing you. They should rather help you or dooing sth good for bitcoin themselves.

I will come to the Amsterdam conference for sure.

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 08:23:25 PM

Bruce,

Consider focusing the bitcoin conference locations on world financial centers (hong kong, london, dubai, nyc, ...) rather than fun vacation destinations Smiley

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
BitcoinStars.com

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 08:25:11 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2011, 06:58:30 PM by BitcoinStars.com

Thailand!!!  Cool
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 09:19:58 PM

Consider focusing the bitcoin conference locations on world financial centers (hong kong, london, dubai, nyc, ...) rather than fun vacation destinations Smiley

All destinations mentioned in Bruce's mail look appropriate. Maybe comments to the contrary lack global insight?

(I'm slightly startled, as a European, as to what people seem to think about Amsterdam. It's as if I would describe the whole of San Francisco as a good place to meet bums after having spent a night or two south of market/mission).

geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 09:45:05 PM

All destinations mentioned in Bruce's mail look appropriate. Maybe comments to the contrary lack global insight?

(I'm slightly startled, as a European, as to what people seem to think about Amsterdam. It's as if I would describe the whole of San Francisco as a good place to meet bums after having spent a night or two south of market/mission).

Please remember, there are a lot of kids in these forums.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: