Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:45:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387451 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 07:00:00 AM

The European Central Bank has released a new report on digital currency, describing it as “inherently unstable” but potentially transformative in the realm of payments.

As well as including refrains of central bank warnings about digital currencies, such as a perceived lack of transparency and market volatility, the ECB also touched on the growth of altcoins.

The report suggested that altcoins may one day serve as future payment networks that, in the eyes of the ECB, could compete with bitcoin given the differences in design, distribution and implementation.

At the same time, the report highlighted how altcoins pose added risks for investors because of the nebulous nature of some projects, noting:

“It is too early to tell what the future of these altcoins will be. A great many of them could be nothing more than “scamcoins”, ie VCSs that are created with the main objective of swindling naive buyers, either as consumers and payers or as investors.”

Specific risks named in the report include a lack of specific information about an altcoin network's management, premining and market illiquidity.

http://www.coindesk.com/european-central-bank-digital-currencies-inherently-unstable/

-

ECB talking altcoins?
Nice Smiley
Feels like the times of opportunity when they noticed Bitcoin on the horizon.

Being here you just have to open your eyes to see what kind of scamfest it is.

Looking at the top 20 coins you can find at least 7 coins which are very close to complete scam - at least two of them are complete scams. below that you probably do not find 7 coins that are not scams.

Looking at 2-10, each one has had some shady event(s) in its history.

dewdeded
Legendary

Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 07:54:29 AM

I don't understand the insight & conclusion and can't see the consequence & implied recommendations of point 1.

Point 2 and 3 are very basic general knowledge.
(AFAIK at least for everybody with an professional or educational business background or everyone doing systematic research (or just longer thinking) about altcoins & crypto currencies.)
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 11:15:16 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2015, 11:38:57 AM by jehst

I don't understand the insight & conclusion and can't see the consequence & implied recommendations of point 1.

Point 2 and 3 are very basic general knowledge.
(AFAIK at least for everybody with an professional or educational business background or everyone doing systematic research (or just longer thinking) about altcoins & crypto currencies.)

It's targeted distribution. If XCoin has been fairly distributed and fits your target demographic, you can just piggyback on that fair distribution and target your product (YCoin) at them by giving YCoin to XCoin-holders in the same proportion that XCoin-holders hold XCoin.

If you look at all coins as DACs, then mining is a wasteful, expensive activity. If you can achieve fair distribution at another coin's expense, why not just use their blockchain to distribute your coin?

Monero for example, could've just said "OK, bitcoin is fairly distributed. Send bitcoin to this address and you will get XMR. And because XBT is fairly distributed, then XMR will be fairly distributed as well." And then there could still have tail emission with XMR's mining algorithm (1% inflation target per year afterwards). But you would've been able to skip the main emission period (80% mined in 4 years) and save a lot of time by moving directly to tail emission. In addition, you could've said "And we're reserving 1.5% of all coins for the development fund."

NXT, Bitshares, Counterparty, Ethereum, etc. have all piggybacked on bitcoin's distribution in one way or another.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
Oscilson

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 07:16:37 PM

Monero for example, could've just said "OK, bitcoin is fairly distributed. Send bitcoin to this address and you will get XMR. And because XBT is fairly distributed, then XMR will be fairly distributed as well." And then there could still have tail emission with XMR's mining algorithm (1% inflation target per year afterwards). But you would've been able to skip the main emission period (80% mined in 4 years) and save a lot of time by moving directly to tail emission. In addition, you could've said "And we're reserving 1.5% of all coins for the development fund."

NXT, Bitshares, Counterparty, Ethereum, etc. have all piggybacked on bitcoin's distribution in one way or another.

In order to do that, you need to set the right exchange ratio. If it is 1:1, then it will make XMR a muiltibillon coin quickly.
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 11:00:55 PM

In order to do that, you need to set the right exchange ratio. If it is 1:1, then it will make XMR a muiltibillon coin quickly.

105 Bitcoin Addresses own 2milion BTC total(avg 20% of BTC supply). No currency on earth has perfect distribution, it's impossible(including FIAT currencies). As you can see Bitcoin's distribution is not close to perfect(Satoshi owns 1million coins himself, and the like).

As long as a currency doesn't have a really screwed up distribution(Like darkcoin and the like), then I deem it fair.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 12:08:04 AM

No currency on earth has perfect distribution, it's impossible(including FIAT currencies).

Especially including fiat currencies.

The main difference with fiats vs. BTC is that practically all fiats in the world are controlled by a small clique, who use the BIS (Bank of International Settlements) as their front. Even if somebody had an inordinate sum in his bank accounts, he does not have any control over it. It can be frozen or deleted by the decision of BIS (or by many other bodies).

With BTC, some have more than the others, but nobody can control what the others do with their own. This is freedom.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 12:33:49 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2015, 12:44:39 AM by ArticMine

No currency on earth has perfect distribution, it's impossible(including FIAT currencies).

Especially including fiat currencies.

The main difference with fiats vs. BTC is that practically all fiats in the world are controlled by a small clique, who use the BIS (Bank of International Settlements) as their front. Even if somebody had an inordinate sum in his bank accounts, he does not have any control over it. It can be frozen or deleted by the decision of BIS (or by many other bodies).

With BTC, some have more than the others, but nobody can control what the others do with their own. This is freedom.

While this is true for fiat held in bank accounts it is not the case when fiat is held as cash.  Some of us are old enough to remember the days when a significant proportion of the population held their fiat as cash, and cash was the primary method used for day to day transactions. In addition securities were also in many cases held as bearer instruments. It is only in the last 40 years that fiat has changed in this way.

By the way XBT and XMR are also vulnerable to this issue. Holding XBT on deposit with MtGox is like holding EUR on deposit in  Cypriot bank. Holding XBT on the blockchain is like holding EUR is one's pocket. A similar argument can be made for XMR.

The one advantage that XBT and XMR has over fiat is that it is possible to securely hold substantial amounts in "cash" form, provided that one takes some simple but unpopular precautions. One has say a flat no to DRM infected propriety operating systems such as those sold licensed by Microsoft and Apple, and only use FLOSS operating systems such as GNU/Linux and rooted Android.

Edit: Why someone will blindly trust Microsoft or Apple, and at the same time not trust the NSA or GHCQ, with their data defies any rational explanation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29#mediaviewer/File:Prism_slide_5.jpg.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
opennux

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 03:03:15 AM

What is "perfect" distribution? Is it a power law distribution?
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 03:20:34 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2015, 03:50:21 AM by Cryddit

Perfect distribution would be achieved in an economy with a GINI of 1.0

But that ain't gonna happen.  Last time I looked, the USA has a GINI of about 0.41.

Bitcoin's distribution is somewhere around GINI 0.86 IIRC.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:20:30 AM

Edit: Why someone will blindly trust Microsoft or Apple, and at the same time not trust the NSA or GHCQ, with their data defies any rational explanation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29#mediaviewer/File:Prism_slide_5.jpg.

+1, MS and Apple are the NSA lol, its more sad and alarming than funny but it should be no joke securing your coins, its hard enough patch holes in the ssl and other free software in gnu/linux so why should we ever trust closed-source vulnerable OS?

I should point out that the reverse does not hold at all. In a situation where one would trust the NSA or GHCQ with certain data one still should not trust Microsoft or Apple with that data! Microsoft for example has shared its source code with the FSB and the PLA, It has also allowed its trade marks to be used to sell computers with built in malware that breaks SSL in order to serve ads, as in the recent case of Lenovo. As for Apple its security is simply horrid as the recent "nude selfie" case so aptly demonstrated.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:28:27 AM

Maybe you have that backwards? But I'm not really sure what you mean. though. 0 is perfectly equal, 1 is perfectly unequal. Both are "perfect" in some sense.  Most GINIs in the world have been increasing recently i.e. more inequality.

"Ideal" is very much different and even putting aside subjectively there isn't even necessarily a best answer. Using the same set of values, 0.3 might hypothetically be considered as good as 0.6 but for different reasons. Everyone being equally poor for example isn't necessarily ideal.

opennux

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:42:45 AM

But that ain't gonna happen.  Last time I looked, the USA has a GINI of about 0.41.

Cheesy So with GINI of 1.0 you'd be the one holding all (aka perfect distribution for you..).

My point was "Perfect Distribution" does not equal "Equal Distribution".
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 05:44:02 AM

Mine was that people's idea of perfection can vary wildly.  Or at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Cheesy
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 07:13:50 AM

We could improve the world's GINI by taking money away from Elon Musk (who wants to make widespread electric vehicles powered by solar energy and multiplanetary human civilization a reality) and giving everyone in India $10 each. Do you see the problem with that?

Roger Ver owns (or owned) 300,000 bitcoins, contributing heavily to bitcoin's "bad" GINI. Roger Ver was also among the first investors in services like blockchain.info and Bitpay.  He started the first major bitcoin retail store. This was long before venture capitalists were investing in bitcoin.

A small group of intelligent, patient large-holders who were willing to invest and take a leadership role in bitcoin (or at least refrain from dumping their coins for a quick buck) was absolutely crucial in preventing bitcoin from dying a quick death in its infancy. And a quick death would've been the result if Satoshi decided to start dumping his nearly 1,000,000 coins when bitcoin reached $1.

Sure, lots of people can have wildly different ideas on what a "perfect distribution" is, but many of those people are going to be objectively wrong. If talented, big-thinking people can't amass big fortunes, then we can only do small things. And I'm saying this as someone who hasn't amassed a big fortune and likely won't. I'm happy guys like Elon Musk are around and have way more money than I do.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 07:35:18 AM

I have been arguing for power law based distribution.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
opennux

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 08:21:40 AM

I have been arguing for power law based distribution.

And I agree with you.
dewdeded
Legendary

Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:36:56 AM

Any thougths/research on Magi (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=735170.0)?
They have CPU mining, PoS-II, PoM & Unique BLK reward and are building there own payment processor.
From a first look the project looks pretty sophisticated. I think I try to upread on it today or tommorow.
111magic
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 09:47:54 PM

Any thougths/research on Magi (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=735170.0)?
They have CPU mining, PoS-II, PoM & Unique BLK reward and are building there own payment processor.
From a first look the project looks pretty sophisticated. I think I try to upread on it today or tommorow.

Nice to see that Magi (XMG) can be discussed here also.
If you have questions just ask.
Always welcome.

bitcoin: bc1qyadvvyv29z08ln2ta7g3uqwzkscr7wq4p09wuz
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 01:20:57 PM

Always welcome.

Since you are part of the Magi community I though I would ask you if you have any personal information on the cryptocoins-dice gambling site owner who went by the name Bobbax (new account he used for the gambling site scam).  He seems to have been involved with Magi as well.  Have a read through the thread below and if you have any information to help the community please post it there.  These sort of thiefs need to be rooted out of the crypto scene.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=988226.msg10765725#msg10765725

111magic
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 01:31:41 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2015, 01:53:51 PM by 111magic

Always welcome.

Since you are part of the Magi community I though I would ask you if you have any personal information on the cryptocoins-dice gambling site owner who went by the name Bobbax (new account he used for the gambling site scam).  He seems to have been involved with Magi as well.  Have a read through the thread below and if you have any information to help the community please post it there.  These sort of thiefs need to be rooted out of the crypto scene.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=988226.msg10765725#msg10765725
I will check for you. Hate scams!! Will contact our dev for delete this one in our Magi thread! Thanks amigo!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=988226.new#new

bitcoin: bc1qyadvvyv29z08ln2ta7g3uqwzkscr7wq4p09wuz
Pages: « 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: