Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:30:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 [253] 254 255 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387451 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 11:28:10 AM

I don't know if this has been shared in this thread already or not, and if it has I apologize for bumping it.
Cyber.fund has rated basically every crypto-currency excising. It can be found here: http://dev.cyber.fund/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=blog&utm_campaign=8
What do you you think about it? In my opinion it's spot on.
A rating without reasoning isn´t a rating in my eyes.
https://forum.safenetwork.io/uploads/db7405/1427/89f0ab883e3d2bd1.png
Here you go, a 79 pages slideshow. It's from earlier this year though so maybe not fully up to date. ^^ That's slide 21. http://cyber.fund/cyberep
Maidsafe and Bitshares listed as anonymous is almost as funny as Ripple getting the highest rating on decentralization.
I think it got the lowest? Most everything about that list is... well, let's say biased.

I just read the slide. He's quite right on Bitcoin, BitShares, Nxt and Ethereum thought.
I guess he didn't study all of the cryptos he puts a rating on.
Anyway, is there anyone in the world able to follow objectively all the cryptos ?
111magic
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 11:31:07 AM

I don't know if this has been shared in this thread already or not, and if it has I apologize for bumping it.
Cyber.fund has rated basically every crypto-currency excising. It can be found here: http://dev.cyber.fund/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=blog&utm_campaign=8
What do you you think about it? In my opinion it's spot on.
A rating without reasoning isn´t a rating in my eyes.
https://forum.safenetwork.io/uploads/db7405/1427/89f0ab883e3d2bd1.png
Here you go, a 79 pages slideshow. It's from earlier this year though so maybe not fully up to date. ^^ That's slide 21. http://cyber.fund/cyberep
Maidsafe and Bitshares listed as anonymous is almost as funny as Ripple getting the highest rating on decentralization.
I think it got the lowest? Most everything about that list is... well, let's say biased.

I just read the slide. He's quite right on Bitcoin, BitShares, Nxt and Ethereum thought.
I guess he didn't study all of the cryptos he puts a rating on.
Anyway, is there anyone in the world able to follow objectively all the cryptos ?

I think nobody can objectively follow all the different cryptocurrencies!

bitcoin: bc1qyadvvyv29z08ln2ta7g3uqwzkscr7wq4p09wuz
dNote

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 11:41:14 AM

The extremely ambitious XND development plan was released last year, under the DarkNote appellation (*looks for citation, grows lazy, gives up*).

I'm pretty sure that is incorrect correct (i.e. it happened after the duckNote->darkNote rename and after most of the fastmine was already burned out), and the first announcement of any development plans and new features such as encrypted messaging was simultaneous with the darknote launch. See for example https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=632595.msg8892752#msg8892752 . I can't find, nor do I remember, anything earlier, and I was (and am) somewhat of a fan of ducknoze's quirky marketing, so I think it is fairly likely I would remember.

My hypothesis (totally unproven, but consistent with the history and a rational analysis of motives) is that they wanted to see whether they could accumulate a huge stash of cheap coins in the first few months of fast mining before revealing anything. If unsuccessful they probably would have just launched another coin instead of the rename/roadmap.

If you do, then I'll point out that XMR's (magnificent) plan for "enterprise grade" scaling wasn't posted until almost a year after launch.

Yes the difference is that 80% of the coins (or whatever the actual number is for XDN, I don't exactly know) were not already mined.

Furthermore, the Monero project operates (and has always operated) in the open, consisted of people with established reputations (and who didn't know each other), some with real-world identities, and was always open to new participants. It was always stated transparently that the goal was to operate as a long-term open source project and develop the technology in an open-ended manner. The idea of some sort of hidden agenda where plans were withheld in order to take advantage of a cheap coins from a fastmine just doesn't pass the laugh test.

Ducknote/darknote/digitalnote, by contrast, as far as we can verify, consists of one forum nick called dNote with zero history, zero reputation, and whose actions are is entirely consistent with a manipulative scheme to accumulate the bulk of the coins before revealing any specific or significant plans (exactly the same process of disclosure used by x-coin/darkcoin, an equivalnce you seem to want to ignore). If and when the project goes bad or simply fades away (once the fastmine coins have been sufficiently pumped and dumped), the entire reputational cost of that will be one burned forum nick.

I'm really surprised that in this intensely competitive and adversarial environment, someone as astute as you doesn't seem to understand that prudent investment requires interpreting actors and actions in the least favorable light consistent with verifiable facts, and that creating actionable investment situations requires presenting things such that the least favorable light is still favorable. IMO it is clear that Monero has done this, and dNote has not.

Finally, a three month mining period is not the same as a three year mining period. Such a difference in magnitude is a difference in kind.

Rather than bitterly holding grudges

There is no grudge and I don't really care what dNote does. However, this is a thread for discussing altcoins and specifically altcoin investments an in objective manner, so I'm going to comment on process and incentives, which IMO make dNote (and any other coin operating in that model) an unfavorable and unattractive investment story.

Short term speculation, who knows. If anything pump-and-dump coins can be excellent speculation plays if you can time your own trades to front run what you think the insiders are going to do (difficult, but not necessarily impossible). I think rpietila made this observation about Bytecoin fairly recently

EDIT: First, I misread your post as stating that the roadmap was under duckNote, but I corrected that above. I've now reviewed 100% of dNote's posts prior to the rename and found no evidence of a roadmap prior to the duckNote->darkNote rename. Further, I reviewed the state of the duckNote web site prior on archive.org immediately prior to the rename and found only this roadmap, which shows little to nothing of substance.

Quote from: old ducknote web site
1. Improve High Level API

2. Implement GUI wallets

3. duckNote payment services

4. duckNote payment modules

5. duckNotej development

6. duckNote mobile wallet development

7. Community support

8. Media support

Since the first block i pointed with white rabbit and Bruce Lee and A.Huxley and W. Blake to understand that duckNote is much more serious you can think at first.
Not to concentrate on a finger. http://archive.ducknote.cc/
I`ve seen this ASIC mining races, i`ve seen that gold rush in their eyes.
1-CPU-1-VOTE that is how it should be.
Cryptos is about voting, fair voting. And Free market, but not mining mining mining and ASIC-GPU-CPU-Botnet rat races and energy waste.
Have you heard about "Helicopter Ben"  Grin?

Bunch of coins on a free market, lets make it wild, lets make it natural, let them be free.  

@smooth your opinion of DigitalNote XDN formerly known as DarkNote XDN, formerly known as duckNote XDN is completely wrong, and you know that. Also you do interested in it, just a bit, i think Smiley

Speaking as a developer, i can say that XMR has a comparatively slow development and XMR has much less features and improvements than XDN, that is just a fact, please,  don`t let me count it, you will be upset. 

And i will end here with a quote for you again, to understand my point:

I must Create a System, or be enslav'd by another Man's; I will not Reason and Compare: my business is to Create.

William Blake

DigitalNote XDN website http://digitalnote.org
XDN 1st blockchain deposits with interest & instant untraceable crypto messages GUI https://github.com/xdn-project/digitalnotewallet/releases
Bitcointalk topic https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1082745.new#new
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 11:47:45 AM

Since the first block i pointed with white rabbit and Bruce Lee and A.Huxley and W. Blake to understand that duckNote is much more serious you can think at first.
Not to concentrate on a finger.
I`ve seen this ASIC mining races, i`ve seen that gold rush in their eyes.
1-CPU-1-VOTE that is how it should be.
Cryptos is about voting, fair voting. And Free market, but not mining mining mining and ASIC-GPU-CPU-Botnet rat races and energy waste.
Have you heard about "Helicopter Ben"  Grin?

Bunch of coins on a free market, lets make it wild, lets make it natural, let them be free. 

Whatever I have to say about your slow-motion release process and fast-motion emission curve, I still like your quirkiness, dNote.
arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 11:06:07 AM

Whatever I have to say about your slow-motion release process and fast-motion emission curve, I still like your quirkiness, dNote.

Cheesy One of the reasons why  I keep an eye on it - it sure is entertaining. Wink
Calabi–Yau Manifold

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 06:06:46 PM

General observation: LTC after bubble is more and more boring (PPC, NMC follow), more and more buzz around Monero, Dash breakout but now lack of buyers... I guess XMR should rise soon. But I wonder if poloniex can handle big daily vol if Xmr will have a new solid uptrend...
mathgal23

Activity: 150
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 12:17:21 AM

General observation: LTC after bubble is more and more boring (PPC, NMC follow), more and more buzz around Monero, Dash breakout but now lack of buyers... I guess XMR should rise soon. But I wonder if poloniex can handle big daily vol if Xmr will have a new solid uptrend...

polo trading engine should do just fine. It has handled big volume before including with LTC recently.  If you want more exchanges to list xmr then you should ask them to do it!
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 07:34:53 PM

I would love to see all altcoins rise in unison. Probably will have to wait until BTC makes a big move (like 2 weeks after a major BTC rise).

dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 08:58:24 PM

I would love to see all altcoins rise in unison. Probably will have to wait until BTC makes a big move (like 2 weeks after a major BTC rise).

I would like to see al shitcoins die and the few good altcoins and BTC rise unison
that would mean the cryptoscene is maturing
kazuki49

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 09:03:58 PM

Cheesy One of the reasons why  I keep an eye on it - it sure is entertaining. Wink

Monero is the only cryptonote coin with real chances of breaking in the mainstream. I have some dnotes just in case, me owning a coin means a lot because I refuse coins with shady background and that I feel they have lied to the world like Bytecoin and Darkcoin/"DASH", both lied and still try to scam people with their crooked emission, digitalnote was rapid emitted but it was released in the open as far as I can see, emission not changed but its fast like doge albeit failed to gather as large community so the new features need to be groundbreaking to attract new users. This is where Monero wins in both fronts, it was the 2nd CN coin, Bytecoin is inviable for known reasons, and it keeps updating the code, after the next tagged released I don't feel comfortable saying Monero is based on cryptonote because so much was rewritten and is being added, its like watching the MacOS coming out of FreeBSD sourcecode.
ejinte

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 11:00:18 PM

Cheesy One of the reasons why  I keep an eye on it - it sure is entertaining. Wink

Monero is the only cryptonote coin with real chances of breaking in the mainstream. I have some dnotes just in case, me owning a coin means a lot because I refuse coins with shady background and that I feel they have lied to the world like Bytecoin and Darkcoin/"DASH", both lied and still try to scam people with their crooked emission, digitalnote was rapid emitted but it was released in the open as far as I can see, emission not changed but its fast like doge albeit failed to gather as large community so the new features need to be groundbreaking to attract new users. This is where Monero wins in both fronts, it was the 2nd CN coin, Bytecoin is inviable for known reasons, and it keeps updating the code, after the next tagged released I don't feel comfortable saying Monero is based on cryptonote because so much was rewritten and is being added, its like watching the MacOS coming out of FreeBSD sourcecode.

Monero will not break in the mainstream. Quote me on this tomorrow, in six months, two years and one hundred years.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.6%-1% House Edge
kenji

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 11:02:24 PM

Monero will not break in the mainstream. Quote me on this tomorrow, in six months, two years and one hundred years.

and why do you think that so?
some arguments please!
ejinte

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:23:37 AM

some arguments please!

Arguments isn't needed. Or it shouldn't be anyway. It's pretty obvious.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.6%-1% House Edge
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:43:10 AM

some arguments please!

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be put on ignore.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 03:04:13 AM

some arguments please!

Indulge us with the obvious, please. 

rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 11:06:46 AM

I would like to see all shitcoins die

If you mean that no one is developing or using them, they are already dead. (The definition of a shitcoin..)

If you mean that their exchange price drops to zero and they are delisted, it happens much slower, because if you control nearly 100% of the supply, you can set the price, and pay the exchanges. With very moderate means you can keep it floating forever if you believe there is still chance for a new pump, and there likely always is.

Thus, crypto scene will for the time being be a land of zombies.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 10:33:19 PM

I would like to see shitcoins die

Wish granted!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 11:29:58 PM

I would like to see all shitcoins die

If you mean that no one is developing or using them, they are already dead. (The definition of a shitcoin..)

If you mean that their exchange price drops to zero and they are delisted, it happens much slower, because if you control nearly 100% of the supply, you can set the price, and pay the exchanges. With very moderate means you can keep it floating forever if you believe there is still chance for a new pump, and there likely always is.

Thus, crypto scene will for the time being be a land of zombies.

Well we predicted back in 2013 when a thousand new altcoins were popping up. 

We knew that not many would survive and those that did would need something remarkable to set them apart. 

A lot gets said about the "cult" of bitcoin, but think of how easy it is to create your own religion.  We could make one up in an afternoon. 

Now, how do you get a significant portion of the world to believe in your religion?  This is a much more daunting task. 

Why is religion an appropriate metaphor?  Because money, like any other system designed by humans, runs and is popularized by faith.  Even language is based on faith...  How many people choose to learn Portuguese as a second language vs. Chinese or English?  It's based on speculation regarding what you feel will be more useful for you. 

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
kazuki49

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 02:58:56 AM

How do you call a person professionally or avocationally occupied with monero? (In Esperanto)

A: moneristo

I'm not joking, this is a quite amusing coincidence, especially since I first read about Monero in a post rpietila made many moons ago somewhere here.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 03:19:44 AM

How do you call a person professionally or avocationally occupied with monero? (In Esperanto)

A: moneristo

I'm not joking, this is a quite amusing coincidence, especially since I first read about Monero in a post rpietila made many moons ago somewhere here.

Being labelled as a moneristo makes me feel like I work at Starbucks and serve Frappe Monerchinos all day.   

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
Pages: « 1 ... 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 [253] 254 255 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: