Bitcoin Forum
July 10, 2024, 04:02:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Approves Bitcoin Wallets  (Read 9443 times)
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:45:23 PM

I never quite understand the hatred some people have for all things Apple. If you don't like you simply don't use it.

IMO, people hate Apple because of its clear corporatism that is based upon trying to shark consumers with fancy ads, offering literally zero customisation options (you can't even change your own battery),

See, your example makes you seem irrationally rabid. Do you really feel being able to replace your battery constitutes 'customization'? The fact of the matter is that sealing in the battery results in a slimmer, lighter unit -- which has real value for some people. I'll also point out in passing that my my Motorola Razr Max HD has a non-user replaceable battery, as does my mother-in-law's Nook.

In my estimation, customization that does not lead to actual increased utility is gratuitous. I held back on buying a tablet for many months waiting first for Android to fix its latency problems, then for apps to emerge that were equivalent to GarageBand, Animoog, and Aria. Didn't happen, so I finally broke down and bought an iPad. Now I'm kicking myself for waiting so long due to _my_ irrational dislike for Apple.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
adamselene

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:16:11 PM

The attachment to one company vs another is really silly.

The competition makes both companies work harder to make better stuff for all of us. Apple really closed the gap with some of the customization options that were lacking as well as intent sharing in iOS8.
This is going to make Google stop doing these small incremental changes they've been doing since ICS and unveil something huge to gain back that ground.
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Here's what will happen:

1. Apple will release the 100% pre-mined iCoin to work with their iBeacon shit. And mindless Joes will bend over and love it - even praise Apple for their fantastic innovation.

2. Google will wake up and get behind bitcoin.

3. A bloody fight to the death.
I'd be up for this battle. Sounds like it'd be quite fun. Clash of two titans ushering a new wave of cryptocurrency use and providing the much needed backing and interest to make cryptocurrencies significantly more viable.

Sure there are business and technology advancement impacts, but I still feel it'd be worthwhile.
bananaControl

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:31:20 PM

Here's what will happen:

1. Apple will release the 100% pre-mined iCoin to work with their iBeacon shit. And mindless Joes will bend over and love it - even praise Apple for their fantastic innovation.

2. Google will wake up and get behind bitcoin.

3. A bloody fight to the death.
I'd be up for this battle. Sounds like it'd be quite fun. Clash of two titans ushering a new wave of cryptocurrency use and providing the much needed backing and interest to make cryptocurrencies significantly more viable.

Sure there are business and technology advancement impacts, but I still feel it'd be worthwhile.

Not if the closed propertarian version wins. One company controlling the most widely used crypto currency would be a nightmare of proportions for everyone who cares about freedom and equal rights and opportunities for everyone. Sadly, most people don't give a shit, so maybe we deserve just that.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:45:08 PM

Not if the closed propertarian version wins. One company controlling the most widely used crypto currency would be a nightmare of proportions for everyone who cares about freedom and equal rights and opportunities for everyone. Sadly, most people don't give a shit, so maybe we deserve just that.

It needs a lot of support from the people, bitcoin has that support for various reasons. A propriatary version may just be a pump and dump scheme in the end, as we see with many alt coins.

bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:18:15 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2014, 04:29:33 PM by bananaControl

It needs a lot of support from the people, bitcoin has that support for various reasons.

Ordinary people know and trust (god knows why!) Apple as a company and brand, to them Bitcoin is noting more than a geeky pyramid scheme, so who would they choose you think?

A propriatary version may just be a pump and dump scheme in the end, as we see with many alt coins.

Apple would not profit from that, so no.

Apple will make a coin where mining hardware is build into all of their products (Or maybe just the iBeacon thingy or POS units) and then they will collect the mining fees themselves. They learned how to make money by being the middleman from iTunes and the sales of music. They will basically do the same thing here.

My ex was an apple fan-girl(?) and even though I tried with all the logic in the world to explain to her why monopoly on infrastructure is a bad thing, she wouldn't listen. Ordinary people just don't give a flying fuck about openness and the importance of real free competition.
bbeagle

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:46:52 PM

IMO, people hate Apple because of its clear corporatism that is based upon trying to shark consumers with fancy ads, offering literally zero customisation options (you can't even change your own battery), and the fact that the system is completely locked down (unless you jailbreak). Not to mention, Apple consistently tries to ensure you cannot jailbreak. It would be like a PC manufacturer forcing you to use Windows even if you didn't want to. Just because you don't have to buy something doesn't mean what that company/entity is doing is agreeable. If you didn't voice your opinion about matters the status quo would never change and we'd all have the stigma and stereotypes we had a hundred years ago.

Everything that you hate, I actually LIKE. I don't care about customization at all. All I want is a product that works, has the apps I want, and is less likely to get malware.

0% of my buying decision is about jail-breaking or customization - something that you seem to care deeply about.
0% of my buying decision is about changing a battery - something I have NEVER done in 20+ years of owning cell phones. Technology changes so quickly that I'll buy a new model of phone before ever thinking about the battery. My daugher has a 4-year old iPhone - battery still works great. My battery in my phone works fine too - never a need for more. Maybe if you have a different use-case than me you care, but to me it's a non-issue.

There is just so much Apple hate that's ridiculous. I really have low opinions of vehement Apple haters. I mean, get a life. Not everyone feels the same way about everything. Calling someone a sheep or an idiot for liking something you don't is ridiculous. And saying that someone who buys Apple products is a sucker or loves American Corporatism, or any drivel is not true at all. Apple makes some great products I love, and they also make products I won't buy. It's my preference to do what I want to and nobody is forcing anything upon me.

Your hatred actually makes me want to buy Apple products MORE because I don't want anyone to think I'm the type of person you are.

I can like country music, you can like alternative music. It doesn't have to mean anything else but preference.

Dr. Pepper

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:51:40 PM

This is obviously great news but they shouldnt have ever removed them in the first place.

Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:52:48 PM

This is obviously great news but they shouldnt have ever removed them in the first place.

I agree don't know why they did remove them they could profit from Bitcoin too.

bbeagle

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:54:18 PM

My ex was an apple fan-girl(?) and even though I tried with all the logic in the world to explain to her why monopoly on infrastructure is a bad thing, she wouldn't listen. Ordinary people just don't give a flying fuck about openness and the importance of real free competition.

There is real competition now. Apple vs Android vs Windows.

Openness - it's not the best for all situations. Most people actually want CLOSED systems.

Take this example:
An OPEN party is happening at a friend's house. Anyone can come to the party. Bring whatever alcohol, drugs they want. Parents will be gone for the weekend. Enjoy!
A CLOSED party is happening at another house. The parents are supervising. No alcohol or drugs allowed. Only a strict guest list is allowed. Entertainment and food provided.

What party would you have more fun in?
What party is more likely that someone might get injured at?
What party is more likely that the house might get trashed, and be very expensive to clean up?
What party is more likely that you would get someone pregnant?

There is good and bad to everything. Say you are 18 - what party are you going to? Say you are 35 and married with kids, what party are you going to? People's life situations matter about what they choose.

bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:56:08 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2014, 05:09:58 PM by bananaControl

I can like country music, you can like alternative music. It doesn't have to mean anything else but preference.

But country music isn't all about monopolizing radio infrastructure and using dirty tricks to keep new music genres down for profit...

I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that they make great products, the problem is that they use their power to hurt real competition. They are masters of stealing ideas but when other companies try to do the same to them, they want to unleash a "full thermonuclear war" - as Steve said. They just don't want to play on level playing fields.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:59:47 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2014, 05:12:01 PM by bananaControl

There is real competition now. Apple vs Android vs Windows.

Openness - it's not the best for all situations. Most people actually want CLOSED systems.

Take this example:
An OPEN party is happening at a friend's house. Anyone can come to the party. Bring whatever alcohol, drugs they want. Parents will be gone for the weekend. Enjoy!
A CLOSED party is happening at another house. The parents are supervising. No alcohol or drugs allowed. Only a strict guest list is allowed. Entertainment and food provided.

Comparing apples and oranges does not make sense.

If you think that monopoly on infrastructure is totally awesome, there is just nothing I can say that will resonate with you.

Apple is Microsoft from the 90's all over again.
Clegg

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:05:33 PM

I agree don't know why they did remove them they could profit from Bitcoin too.

How? I thought thats why they removed them because they cant profit from them?
BitcoinBulls

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 05:22:42 PM

http://bitcoinbulls.com/apple-allowing-bitcoin-apps/

We don't think it is referring to Bitcoin.  Examine the patent.  It seems like Apple wants to compete with, not join the party.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:28:39 PM

We don't think it is referring to Bitcoin.  Examine the patent.  It seems like Apple wants to compete with, not join the party.

Couldn't really come as any surprise. Now we really need google to get behind bitcoin.
Baitty

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:30:11 PM

Dam why does apple want to compete with everyone and anyone why don't they accept they failed every attempt they have made in doing just that.

bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:31:25 PM

We don't think it is referring to Bitcoin.  Examine the patent.  It seems like Apple wants to compete with, not join the party.
Dam why does apple want to compete with everyone and anyone why don't they accept they failed every attempt they have made in doing just that.

Monopoly and money. Can we really blame them?
Baitty

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:33:40 PM

We don't think it is referring to Bitcoin.  Examine the patent.  It seems like Apple wants to compete with, not join the party.

Monopoly and money. Can we really blame them?

We could do and I will do. I honestly believe they try to monopoly everything and have failed.

bbeagle

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:43:57 PM

Apple is Microsoft from the 90's all over again.

Not even close.

Microsoft had 95% of the desktop market in the 1990s. There were no choices back then.

There are many, many choices now. Apple can't be a monopoly if Android has 70% of the market! I don't know what world you are living in.

Android is more of a monopoly, and more like Microsoft was in the 90s.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:46:18 PM

It needs a lot of support from the people, bitcoin has that support for various reasons.

Ordinary people know and trust (god knows why!) Apple as a company and brand, to them Bitcoin is noting more than a geeky pyramid scheme, so who would they choose you think?

A propriatary version may just be a pump and dump scheme in the end, as we see with many alt coins.

Apple would not profit from that, so no.

Apple will make a coin where mining hardware is build into all of their products (Or maybe just the iBeacon thingy or POS units) and then they will collect the mining fees themselves. They learned how to make money by being the middleman from iTunes and the sales of music. They will basically do the same thing here.

This is actually an interesting thought, and while I have never thought of it until now, it seems very feasible that Apple would do something like this.   Wouldn't you, if it were your company?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: