Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:15:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Approves Bitcoin Wallets  (Read 9437 times)
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:32:08 PM

This looks like it, maybe why we are once again going up after the big drop off.
This might really start things rolling.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-apps-in-the-app-store-2014-6

It looks like Apple has updated its app developer guidelines today to allow for Bitcoin apps.

The new clause under section 11.17, which was flagged by folks on Twitter like investor Bill Lee today https://twitter.com/westcoastbill/status/473555837982900226, reads:

Apps may facilitate transmission of approved virtual currencies provided that they do so in compliance with all state and federal laws for the territories in which the app functions.

That sounds like Bitcoin!

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
adamselene

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:37:59 PM

I know a lot of people hesitant about bitcoin because of Apple.

Yeah, bitcoin will march on regardless of what they say or do, but it's the difference between marching through mud vs on pavement.

Big news.
RUEHL

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:40:41 PM

Big news, now I don't have to carry around 2 phones:

(1) iPhone my main phone
(2) Android my Bitcoin phone which I don't feel too secure about.

Donate BTC: 1FzpMgR34pJbEqtiMEujRiidoL7PgGPaUH
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:42:18 PM

I know a lot of people hesitant about bitcoin because of Apple.

Yeah, bitcoin will march on regardless of what they say or do, but it's the difference between marching through mud vs on pavement.

Big news.

totally agree

this ain't a 5% rise people
this deserves a big rise and ongoing

so much good news coming, including plethora of atms arriving all over world

hoping winklevii ipo is a big success when that eventually happens
etc

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
RUEHL

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:48:42 PM

Donate BTC: 1FzpMgR34pJbEqtiMEujRiidoL7PgGPaUH
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:51:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up!  I just got off my ass and bought 2 more coins.  Price is already going up.
Guido
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:52:19 PM

Biggest company in the World. I guess it's reasonably significant  Grin

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
bananaControl

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:02:49 PM

I cannot in any way understand why anyone gives a flying fuck about what that dying dinosaur of a walled garden does. With the way they operate as a company they ought to be completely irrelevant in this world  Angry
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:06:04 PM

anyone who still uses Apple after all that Bolshevist crap, needs brain surgery  Angry

a device should do what the owner wants it to do, independent from any regulation, at the end of the day it's the owner and not the lawmakers that paid for the device. apples arrogance is breathtaking.

this is like selling a car that is hard coded not to go faster than the current speed limit  Cheesy

Truth is the new hatespeech.
adamselene

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:07:05 PM

I cannot in any way understand why anyone gives a flying fuck about what that dying dinosaur of a walled garden does. With the way they operate as a company they ought to be completely irrelevant in this world  Angry

They are not innovative, but they're not a dying dinosaur. Apple and their products are still very much relevant whether you like it or not. They provide an easy and accessible product for the masses. Not everyone cares about tech like we do.

Some people just want a Toyota.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:10:14 PM

Biggest company in the World. I guess it's reasonably significant  Grin

Roman empire was the biggest in the world - for awhile. Wink

IMHO Apples OK is irrelevant to BTC price, what it means is only that they found that messing with BTC is bad for business

Good hardware wallets will have a much stronger effect than this

Truth is the new hatespeech.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:12:58 PM

They are not innovative, but they're not a dying dinosaur. Apple and their products are still very much relevant whether you like it or not. They provide an easy and accessible product for the masses. Not everyone cares about tech like we do.

I might be celebrating that a bit too early, but i do think that they will be spiraling down like last time they didn't have Steve around. He might have been a sociopath, but he was brilliant at spotting errors and bloat in products.

In any case, Apple allowing wallets is of course positive in the short run, so, yay!  Wink
BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:15:40 PM

Its so cute watching the people who are "too cool for Apple" act unimpressed.

Go back 12 months and think how excited you would be if Apple even *acknowledged* Bitcoin existed.

This is huge news.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 09:16:06 PM

You have a very unusual definition of dying dinosaur, as Apple is both growing and profitable.

bananaControl

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:16:44 PM

Go back 12 months and think how excited you would be if Apple even *acknowledged* Bitcoin existed.

This is huge news.

Yeah, thats what I am. Thanks for telling me.
DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:17:15 PM

Good news doesn't affect too much the value but this is huge, I'm expecting an even more rapid rally when the news will spread.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:18:25 PM

Great news for all the main cryptos.
Can't wait for Blockchain wallet to be released. Means I can update my phone without worrying that the app will be removed from my device  Grin
bananaControl

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:18:35 PM

You have a very unusual definition of dying dinosaur, as Apple is both growing and profitable.

Maybe I'm underestimating peoples joy of being sodomized.
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 09:24:15 PM

Android hosts 99% of mobile malware and even flagship android phone buyers are often left out on upgrades.  The android upgrade problem is do bad the majority of android devices are out of date.

So who is getting fucked more?

bananaControl

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:28:15 PM

Android hosts 99% of mobile malware and even flagship android phone buyers are often left out on upgrades.  The android upgrade problem is do bad the majority of android devices are out of date.

Did I at any point praise Android?

And that problem lies in the fact that the hardware producers stops compiling for old phones, it's not an Android or google issue.. It's like saying that bitcoin is shit because of Gox.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:28:43 PM

I only use an iPhone because i got it for free, but i absolutely hate apple.

Apple is just extremely restrictive with their policies. It is my phone, let me decide what i do with it. I can't believe people pay insanely high prices for a phone and than have apple tell them what they can or can't do.

Bibop

Activity: 222

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:36:51 PM

Do not care about the reason.
This is great news!

open trading options for large piece of the market
adamselene

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:40:09 PM

I only use an iPhone because i got it for free, but i absolutely hate apple.

Apple is just extremely restrictive with their policies. It is my phone, let me decide what i do with it. I can't believe people pay insanely high prices for a phone and than have apple tell them what they can or can't do.

Apple is restrictive with their ecosystem because that provides a certain curated user experience that their customers want.

It's like moving into a neighborhood with a homeowners association and complaining that you can't paint a giant purple dick on your garage door..
bananaControl

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:43:18 PM

Apple is restrictive with their ecosystem because that provides a certain curated user experience that their customers want.

That's a very polite way of putting it. They could easily give the same user experience AND be open at the same time. But they have chosen the same path as MS did in the 90's - vendor lock-in.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:57:31 PM

Whether or not you like Apple, I think it is interesting to think of Bitcoin as the disruptive technology that it is and how much of a pain in the Azz it would have been for Apple to continue with this ban for a long time. I mean Bitcoin is getting larger and larger and yet "Not on the IPad or IPhone." That reaches a point of negative returns.

Disruption happens in ways that are hard to see coming. After all a Black Swan is likely to have Black Swan babies. The Protocol is out.
It is adopted because you have to adopt it. It saves you money and then in a few years it makes you obsolete.
And who knows the affect the technology has on Apple.

Disrupt Bitcoin, disrupt...

Its about sharing

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
adamselene

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:57:42 PM

That's a very polite way of putting it. They could easily give the same user experience AND be ope at the same time. But they have chosen the same path as MS did in the 90's - vendor lock-in.

They can't though. Being open is the antithesis of a closed ecosystem. They put tennis balls on all the sharp corners so their customers don't hurt themselves. What they have is ideal for users who like that sort of thing, why change it?

I will never own an iOS device (unless its for testing) so it doesn't matter to me.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:10:31 PM

I am just glad i can finally have a wallet on my iPhone. A malware free system is the only option for having a mobile wallet.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 10:11:12 PM

The quoted paragraph did not say bitcoin specifically, it said "approved virtual currencies".

Bitcoin will not be approved if Apple has its own VC patent.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
adamselene

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:17:45 PM

I am just glad i can finally have a wallet on my iPhone. A malware free system is the only option for having a mobile wallet.

Android has no "malware problem". You really only have a malware problem if you make a habit out of sideloading apps from untrusted sources (e.g. not from the Play Store) and/or are rooted, both of which are for more advanced users.

And iOS has malware too.
medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 10:21:04 PM

This is definitely a step in the right direction.
Never used iphone myself, much prefer Samsung phones. This could be the train to ATH.

Wonder how many wallets are waiting to launch on the app store at this moment?
bananaControl

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:21:15 PM

That's a very polite way of putting it. They could easily give the same user experience AND be ope at the same time. But they have chosen the same path as MS did in the 90's - vendor lock-in.

They can't though. Being open is the antithesis of a closed ecosystem. They put tennis balls on all the sharp corners so their customers don't hurt themselves. What they have is ideal for users who like that sort of thing, why change it?

I will never own an iOS device (unless its for testing) so it doesn't matter to me.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you and would love a deeper discussion, but this is hardly the place.

The quoted paragraph did not say bitcoin specifically, it said "approved virtual currencies".

Yeah, this could be a concern. Maybe Apple is the new China.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:24:42 PM

It didn't say "Apple approved" if you want to get technical about it.
Come on, there were US Senate Hearings, the IRS has commented as well as other agencies, companies all over the world are accepting it, Wall Street is in on it, etc. and you think this is not in line with their definition?

BTC = Black Swan.
Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 10:29:42 PM

Can anybody with an Iphone actually confirm that any previously banned Bitcoin apps are now working?

cjgames.com
Guido
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:32:29 PM

Can anybody with an Iphone actually confirm that any previously banned Bitcoin apps are now working?

they'll have to be resubmitted
not sure how long that takes to get approved

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
adamselene

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:36:47 PM

I will have to respectfully disagree with you and would love a deeper discussion, but this is hardly the place.

In that case, let's agree to disagree  Smiley

they'll have to be resubmitted
not sure how long that takes to get approved

Approval takes about a week or so from what I remember. If you've already submitted before, might take less.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:50:09 PM

anyone who still uses Apple after all that Bolshevist crap, needs brain surgery  Angry

Anyone who attacks a group of people for their choice of technology provider, without knowing the uses to which that group of people are putting that technology, is an over-opinionated, unthinking, irrational ignoramus.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 11:00:08 PM

Android has no "malware problem". You really only have a malware problem if you make a habit out of sideloading apps from untrusted sources (e.g. not from the Play Store) and/or are rooted, both of which are for more advanced users.

And iOS has malware too.

That is simply not backed up by reality.  THOUSANDS of malware apps are in the genuine Android market while almost none are in the genuine Apple app store.  This is an issue for regular users not just people who rooted their phone. 

http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/overview-android-malware-analysis/

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:06:45 PM

Great news.
(Must) do so in compliance with all state and federal laws for the territories in which the app functions...
^^^This could cause issues since it is often difficult to stay "compliance with ALL state and federal laws".
I know it's just a standard legal disclaimer, but they are still able to mess with an app any time they want to.
Overall, it's good to see Apple allowing most BTC apps.  Smiley

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:18:04 PM

And iOS has malware too.

That simply isn't true. The IOS apps are pre-screened for malware before being allowed in the store.

There are a lot of examples of malware that people got from the android app stores.

I am much more comfortable with a bit coin sitting in a closed ecosystem.

Maidak
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058

The OGz Club

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:24:15 PM

I still have the blockchain app on my old iphone 4 do they not work anymore?

.The OGz Club.▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████████▀███▀████████████
██████████████▀█▀██████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
......The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project......
Website   ◢ Reddit   ◢ Telegram   ◢ Twitter   ◢ TikTok   ◢ Facebook

██████    ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
       ▄▄▄██▄▄▄
    ▄███████████▄
    █████████████▄
   ███████████████
▄█████████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████████████▀██
    ▀█████████████▄
    ▄▀█████████████▄
   █▀ ▀▀▀██████████▌
▐███    ▄█████████▀▀
 ▀▀     ▄█████▀▀
       ███▀▀
      ██▀

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:27:29 PM

I still have the blockchain app on my old iphone 4 do they not work anymore?

Fire it up and try it. I think you can still use legacy apps either way. They are just not considered supported.

Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:29:48 PM

Great news...soon Apple would begin accepting bitcoin payments.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
adamselene

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:43:25 PM

That is simply not backed up by reality.  THOUSANDS of malware apps are in the genuine Android market while almost none are in the genuine Apple app store.  This is an issue for regular users not just people who rooted their phone. 

Here's a rebuttal to a more recent but similar malware analysis:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/03/24/report-97-of-mobile-malware-is-on-android-this-is-the-easy-way-you-stay-safe/

tl;dr - Most of the malware figures are derived from studies that include external app marketplaces in their figures. The total percentage of malware on the Play Store is ridiculously small and they're removed as soon as they're discovered.

They're mostly from shit apps with a ton of permissions, descriptions in broken English, and zero reviews. It's really easy to avoid malware on Android. Also, Android apps are sandboxed, so you can't extract data from another app (like your private keys).

That simply isn't true. The IOS apps are pre-screened for malware before being allowed in the store.

There are a lot of examples of malware that people got from the android app stores.

Android apps are scanned for malware as well. People can and do obscure code enough to get it through both stores, but not long enough to do any real damage.
Apple also has a higher barrier to entry for app approval (including paying for a yearly developer license vs a one time fee).
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 11:50:43 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/03/24/report-97-of-mobile-malware-is-on-android-this-is-the-easy-way-you-stay-safe/

tl;dr - Most of the malware figures are derived from studies that include external app marketplaces in their figures. The total percentage of malware on the Play Store is ridiculously small and they're removed as soon as they're discovered.

They're mostly from shit apps with a ton of permissions, descriptions in broken English, and zero reviews. It's really easy to avoid malware on Android. Also, Android apps are sandboxed, so you can't extract data from another app (like your private keys).

Android apps are scanned for malware as well. People can and do obscure code enough to get it through both stores, but not long enough to do any real damage.
Apple also has a higher barrier to entry for app approval (including paying for a yearly developer license vs a one time fee).

When it comes to my bit coin I don't want to easily avoid malware, I want to avoid it completely or at least as much as humanly possible.

adamselene

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 12:02:47 AM

When it comes to my bit coin I don't want to easily avoid malware, I want to avoid it completely or at least as much as humanly possible.

Fair enough.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 12:09:13 AM

Come on, there were US Senate Hearings, the IRS has commented as well as other agencies, companies all over the world are accepting it, Wall Street is in on it, etc. and you think this is not in line with their definition?

1) That which is not specifically banned is legal, usually.

2) "provided that they do so in compliance with all state and federal laws for the territories in which the app functions" is distinct from "approved virtual currencies" - it's not surplus verbiage, or redundant. Laws do not "approve" of things. When you read things written by lawyers, you must think like one.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 12:09:42 AM

Apple has probably realized that if they kept censoring Bitcoin it would:
1) Expose the censorship polices of the walled garden to a wider group of people
2) Would hurt sales in the long term if Bitcoin were to become mainstream as Bitcoin would become a prime example of what is so wrong with Apple's business model.

The malware issue ignores that fact that what is needed is one or more trusted app stores  where software is screened properly for malware. There is no need to restrict a user to a particular store, stores or source of software. The GNU/Linux communities had this figured out long before there was an "app store" from Apple, Google, Microsoft etc. They had and still have trusted repositories for software. The latter is one of the main reasons why there hardly any malware for GNU/Linux.

There is no need for a locked down censored device to protect users from malware as Apple and more recently Microsoft have argued. The real reasons for the locked down devices are 1) DRM,  2) Customer lockin 3) Anti competitive business models 4) Price fixing etc.

By the way IOS is not immune to malware and malware has found its way into the Apple app store.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/07/06/first-ios-malware-hits-app-store/

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 12:11:27 AM

We will see if Blockchain.info and Coinbase make its way back into the appstore....
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 12:31:59 AM

That is simply not backed up by reality.  THOUSANDS of malware apps are in the genuine Android market while almost none are in the genuine Apple app store.  This is an issue for regular users not just people who rooted their phone.  

That is not correct.  There are enough flaws in Android and unpatched due to updates not being available for most users so you cannot say private keys are safe.  They can also throw in a keylogger pretty easily.  

Even the Google Play store has malware.  200+ examples so far with huge numbers of downloads.  Contrast that to Apple, so far 1 single piece of malware that is known and of course is no longer available. 

For Bitcoin, the iPhone seems like one of the safer places to have a wallet.  

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:34:11 AM

That is simply not backed up by reality.  THOUSANDS of malware apps are in the genuine Android market while almost none are in the genuine Apple app store.  This is an issue for regular users not just people who rooted their phone.  

That is not correct.  There are enough flaws in Android and unpatched due to updates not being available for most users so you cannot say private keys are safe.  They can also throw in a keylogger pretty easily.  

Even the Google Play store has malware.  200+ examples so far with huge numbers of downloads.  Contrast that to Apple, so far 1 single piece of malware that is known and of course is no longer available. 

For Bitcoin, the iPhone seems like one of the safer places to have a wallet.  

That is my stance. I don't get into the fan boy stuff. When my bit coin is on the line I want as secure a platform as possible.

Blues426

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:39:24 AM

Good point!
redwhitenblue

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:36:12 AM

This should help increase the adaption of Bitcoin by the masses.
BillyBobJoe

Activity: 119

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:53:25 AM

a device should do what the owner wants it to do, independent from any regulation, at the end of the day it's the owner and not the lawmakers that paid for the device. apples arrogance is breathtaking.

this is like selling a car that is hard coded not to go faster than the current speed limit  Cheesy

What you don't get is maybe some want a car that can not go above the speed limit.

Move on and quit trying to impose your will on others. OK?
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:06:18 AM

What you don't get is maybe some want a car that can not go above the speed limit.

Move on and quit trying to impose your will on others. OK?

I never quite understand the hatred some people have for all things Apple. If you don't like you simply don't use it.

jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 07:29:12 AM

This is great news.

Apple has app stores for each country. 

That now means if Bitcoin or other virtual currencies are illegal in that country, like India for instance, that Apple can not host any bitcoin apps. 

In countries like the US, where bitcoin is totally legal, then Apple can have apps.

monim1

Activity: 155

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:35:13 AM

I am using Iphone 4s. Can i use this wallet on my iphone 4s ?
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:36:15 AM

I never quite understand the hatred some people have for all things Apple. If you don't like you simply don't use it.

IMO, people hate Apple because of its clear corporatism that is based upon trying to shark consumers with fancy ads, offering literally zero customisation options (you can't even change your own battery), and the fact that the system is completely locked down (unless you jailbreak). Not to mention, Apple consistently tries to ensure you cannot jailbreak. It would be like a PC manufacturer forcing you to use Windows even if you didn't want to. Just because you don't have to buy something doesn't mean what that company/entity is doing is agreeable. If you didn't voice your opinion about matters the status quo would never change and we'd all have the stigma and stereotypes we had a hundred years ago.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 11:55:05 AM

IMO, people hate Apple because of its clear corporatism that is based upon trying to shark consumers with fancy ads, offering literally zero customisation options (you can't even change your own battery), and the fact that the system is completely locked down (unless you jailbreak). Not to mention, Apple consistently tries to ensure you cannot jailbreak. It would be like a PC manufacturer forcing you to use Windows even if you didn't want to. Just because you don't have to buy something doesn't mean what that company/entity is doing is agreeable. If you didn't voice your opinion about matters the status quo would never change and we'd all have the stigma and stereotypes we had a hundred years ago.

The Apple guys are among the most greediest bunch I've ever heard of in my life. Since they are an American company, they get unfair advantage from the American courts (see the Samsung vs Apple battle). But I've never liked any of their overpriced trashy products.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 01:37:17 PM

1) That which is not specifically banned is legal, usually.

2) "provided that they do so in compliance with all state and federal laws for the territories in which the app functions" is distinct from "approved virtual currencies" - it's not surplus verbiage, or redundant. Laws do not "approve" of things. When you read things written by lawyers, you must think like one.

Why would a company basically describe bitcoin, which in most places is legal (more than fitting their "approved" definition), if it didn't want to allow it on its devices?
It seems they are opening more doors, rather than closing them. Why paint themselves in a corner? It would have been better to not say anything. I don't see your point there.

Time will tell, and not much time I'm betting.

BTC = Black Swan.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 01:53:43 PM

Here's what will happen:

1. Apple will release the 100% pre-mined iCoin to work with their iBeacon shit. And mindless Joes will bend over and love it - even praise Apple for their fantastic innovation.

2. Google will wake up and get behind bitcoin.

3. A bloody fight to the death.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:45:23 PM

IMO, people hate Apple because of its clear corporatism that is based upon trying to shark consumers with fancy ads, offering literally zero customisation options (you can't even change your own battery),

See, your example makes you seem irrationally rabid. Do you really feel being able to replace your battery constitutes 'customization'? The fact of the matter is that sealing in the battery results in a slimmer, lighter unit -- which has real value for some people. I'll also point out in passing that my my Motorola Razr Max HD has a non-user replaceable battery, as does my mother-in-law's Nook.

In my estimation, customization that does not lead to actual increased utility is gratuitous. I held back on buying a tablet for many months waiting first for Android to fix its latency problems, then for apps to emerge that were equivalent to GarageBand, Animoog, and Aria. Didn't happen, so I finally broke down and bought an iPad. Now I'm kicking myself for waiting so long due to _my_ irrational dislike for Apple.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
adamselene

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:16:11 PM

The attachment to one company vs another is really silly.

The competition makes both companies work harder to make better stuff for all of us. Apple really closed the gap with some of the customization options that were lacking as well as intent sharing in iOS8.
This is going to make Google stop doing these small incremental changes they've been doing since ICS and unveil something huge to gain back that ground.
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Here's what will happen:

1. Apple will release the 100% pre-mined iCoin to work with their iBeacon shit. And mindless Joes will bend over and love it - even praise Apple for their fantastic innovation.

I'd be up for this battle. Sounds like it'd be quite fun. Clash of two titans ushering a new wave of cryptocurrency use and providing the much needed backing and interest to make cryptocurrencies significantly more viable.

Sure there are business and technology advancement impacts, but I still feel it'd be worthwhile.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:31:20 PM

Here's what will happen:

I'd be up for this battle. Sounds like it'd be quite fun. Clash of two titans ushering a new wave of cryptocurrency use and providing the much needed backing and interest to make cryptocurrencies significantly more viable.

Sure there are business and technology advancement impacts, but I still feel it'd be worthwhile.

Not if the closed propertarian version wins. One company controlling the most widely used crypto currency would be a nightmare of proportions for everyone who cares about freedom and equal rights and opportunities for everyone. Sadly, most people don't give a shit, so maybe we deserve just that.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:45:08 PM

Not if the closed propertarian version wins. One company controlling the most widely used crypto currency would be a nightmare of proportions for everyone who cares about freedom and equal rights and opportunities for everyone. Sadly, most people don't give a shit, so maybe we deserve just that.

It needs a lot of support from the people, bitcoin has that support for various reasons. A propriatary version may just be a pump and dump scheme in the end, as we see with many alt coins.

bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:18:15 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2014, 04:29:33 PM by bananaControl

It needs a lot of support from the people, bitcoin has that support for various reasons.

Ordinary people know and trust (god knows why!) Apple as a company and brand, to them Bitcoin is noting more than a geeky pyramid scheme, so who would they choose you think?

A propriatary version may just be a pump and dump scheme in the end, as we see with many alt coins.

Apple would not profit from that, so no.

Apple will make a coin where mining hardware is build into all of their products (Or maybe just the iBeacon thingy or POS units) and then they will collect the mining fees themselves. They learned how to make money by being the middleman from iTunes and the sales of music. They will basically do the same thing here.

My ex was an apple fan-girl(?) and even though I tried with all the logic in the world to explain to her why monopoly on infrastructure is a bad thing, she wouldn't listen. Ordinary people just don't give a flying fuck about openness and the importance of real free competition.
bbeagle

Activity: 63

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:46:52 PM

Everything that you hate, I actually LIKE. I don't care about customization at all. All I want is a product that works, has the apps I want, and is less likely to get malware.

0% of my buying decision is about jail-breaking or customization - something that you seem to care deeply about.
0% of my buying decision is about changing a battery - something I have NEVER done in 20+ years of owning cell phones. Technology changes so quickly that I'll buy a new model of phone before ever thinking about the battery. My daugher has a 4-year old iPhone - battery still works great. My battery in my phone works fine too - never a need for more. Maybe if you have a different use-case than me you care, but to me it's a non-issue.

There is just so much Apple hate that's ridiculous. I really have low opinions of vehement Apple haters. I mean, get a life. Not everyone feels the same way about everything. Calling someone a sheep or an idiot for liking something you don't is ridiculous. And saying that someone who buys Apple products is a sucker or loves American Corporatism, or any drivel is not true at all. Apple makes some great products I love, and they also make products I won't buy. It's my preference to do what I want to and nobody is forcing anything upon me.

Your hatred actually makes me want to buy Apple products MORE because I don't want anyone to think I'm the type of person you are.

I can like country music, you can like alternative music. It doesn't have to mean anything else but preference.

Dr. Pepper

Activity: 172

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:51:40 PM

This is obviously great news but they shouldnt have ever removed them in the first place.

Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:52:48 PM

This is obviously great news but they shouldnt have ever removed them in the first place.

I agree don't know why they did remove them they could profit from Bitcoin too.

bbeagle

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:54:18 PM

My ex was an apple fan-girl(?) and even though I tried with all the logic in the world to explain to her why monopoly on infrastructure is a bad thing, she wouldn't listen. Ordinary people just don't give a flying fuck about openness and the importance of real free competition.

There is real competition now. Apple vs Android vs Windows.

Openness - it's not the best for all situations. Most people actually want CLOSED systems.

Take this example:
An OPEN party is happening at a friend's house. Anyone can come to the party. Bring whatever alcohol, drugs they want. Parents will be gone for the weekend. Enjoy!
A CLOSED party is happening at another house. The parents are supervising. No alcohol or drugs allowed. Only a strict guest list is allowed. Entertainment and food provided.

What party would you have more fun in?
What party is more likely that someone might get injured at?
What party is more likely that the house might get trashed, and be very expensive to clean up?
What party is more likely that you would get someone pregnant?

There is good and bad to everything. Say you are 18 - what party are you going to? Say you are 35 and married with kids, what party are you going to? People's life situations matter about what they choose.

bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:56:08 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2014, 05:09:58 PM by bananaControl

I can like country music, you can like alternative music. It doesn't have to mean anything else but preference.

But country music isn't all about monopolizing radio infrastructure and using dirty tricks to keep new music genres down for profit...

I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that they make great products, the problem is that they use their power to hurt real competition. They are masters of stealing ideas but when other companies try to do the same to them, they want to unleash a "full thermonuclear war" - as Steve said. They just don't want to play on level playing fields.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:59:47 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2014, 05:12:01 PM by bananaControl

Openness - it's not the best for all situations. Most people actually want CLOSED systems.

Take this example:
An OPEN party is happening at a friend's house. Anyone can come to the party. Bring whatever alcohol, drugs they want. Parents will be gone for the weekend. Enjoy!
A CLOSED party is happening at another house. The parents are supervising. No alcohol or drugs allowed. Only a strict guest list is allowed. Entertainment and food provided.

Comparing apples and oranges does not make sense.

If you think that monopoly on infrastructure is totally awesome, there is just nothing I can say that will resonate with you.

Apple is Microsoft from the 90's all over again.
Clegg

Activity: 176

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:05:33 PM

I agree don't know why they did remove them they could profit from Bitcoin too.

How? I thought thats why they removed them because they cant profit from them?
BitcoinBulls

Activity: 17

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 05:22:42 PM

http://bitcoinbulls.com/apple-allowing-bitcoin-apps/

We don't think it is referring to Bitcoin.  Examine the patent.  It seems like Apple wants to compete with, not join the party.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:28:39 PM

We don't think it is referring to Bitcoin.  Examine the patent.  It seems like Apple wants to compete with, not join the party.

Couldn't really come as any surprise. Now we really need google to get behind bitcoin.
Baitty

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:30:11 PM

Dam why does apple want to compete with everyone and anyone why don't they accept they failed every attempt they have made in doing just that.

bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:31:25 PM

We don't think it is referring to Bitcoin.  Examine the patent.  It seems like Apple wants to compete with, not join the party.
Dam why does apple want to compete with everyone and anyone why don't they accept they failed every attempt they have made in doing just that.

Monopoly and money. Can we really blame them?
Baitty

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:33:40 PM

We don't think it is referring to Bitcoin.  Examine the patent.  It seems like Apple wants to compete with, not join the party.

Monopoly and money. Can we really blame them?

We could do and I will do. I honestly believe they try to monopoly everything and have failed.

bbeagle

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:43:57 PM

Not even close.

Microsoft had 95% of the desktop market in the 1990s. There were no choices back then.

There are many, many choices now. Apple can't be a monopoly if Android has 70% of the market! I don't know what world you are living in.

Android is more of a monopoly, and more like Microsoft was in the 90s.

keithers
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:46:18 PM

It needs a lot of support from the people, bitcoin has that support for various reasons.

Ordinary people know and trust (god knows why!) Apple as a company and brand, to them Bitcoin is noting more than a geeky pyramid scheme, so who would they choose you think?

A propriatary version may just be a pump and dump scheme in the end, as we see with many alt coins.

Apple will make a coin where mining hardware is build into all of their products (Or maybe just the iBeacon thingy or POS units) and then they will collect the mining fees themselves. They learned how to make money by being the middleman from iTunes and the sales of music. They will basically do the same thing here.

This is actually an interesting thought, and while I have never thought of it until now, it seems very feasible that Apple would do something like this.   Wouldn't you, if it were your company?
BitcoinBulls

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 05:47:18 PM

That's the method that gets you to the top in Silicon Valley: steal an idea -> tweak slightly -> profit.  

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but this is not the fantastic news some sources are making it out to be.  That's why we try to avoid all the fluff and give you the news you actually need.  
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 05:49:01 PM

Take this example:

If you think that monopoly on infrastructure is totally awesome, there is just nothing I can say that will resonate with you.

You were not around microsoft in the 90's if you think that.  Microsoft was closed source but not a walled garden. 

bbeagle

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:49:30 PM

We could do and I will do. I honestly believe they try to monopoly everything and have failed.

I don't think you understand what Monopoly is.

Nintendo does not have a monopoly, although they control all the software that is released on the Wii or Wii U. There are other players like Microsoft and Sony. This is exactly what Apple is.

Microsoft was declared a monopoly in the 90s when over 95% of the computers had Windows. ALL the software was written for windows, with very little ports to other manufacturers. Microsoft used it's monopoly of Windows by going after other markets, like web browsers. By putting Internet Explorer in windows, microsoft immediately got a 95% browser share, thus winning the browser wars automatically. Apple can't do anything of the sort, EVER, with a 20% market share, and they can't even try. It's pointless even saying they would try, because it's impossible and makes no sense.
BillyBobJoe

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:51:54 PM

looks like the Apple haters have hijacked your thread.

Haters will hate.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:52:31 PM

Take this example:

You were not around microsoft in the 90's if you think that.  Microsoft was closed source but not a walled garden. 

Word documents? But yes, Apple is actually much worse than MS ever was.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:54:55 PM

Haters will hate.

That was a very constructive and convincing argument. Thank you for sharing.
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 06:01:21 PM

Take this example:

Word documents? But yes, Apple is actually much worse than MS ever was.

Where  Word documents default encrypted or protected in any way?  Nope.  Could you export to common formats?  Yes.

Silly Money

Activity: 159

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:06:29 PM

Haters will hate.

Lol. I think most people on this forum hate Apple and with very good reason. Theyre kind of the opposite of what most of us are about.

bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:11:08 PM

Where  Word documents default encrypted or protected in any way?  Nope.  Could you export to common formats?  Yes.

It wasn't an open format and it wasn't documented correctly, making it impossible to make a text-program that could open and save word documents 100% correctly. There was always something that was broken... A bit of the same tactic they used in their implementation of CSS and HTML in IE. To the end user MS products always just seemed to work a little better than anything else, though of course we know that the real reason was of a different nature than just better quality.

And yes, you could save in other formats, but again, Word just magically seemed to be better at reading the other formats as well.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:15:50 PM

This is actually an interesting thought, and while I have never thought of it until now, it seems very feasible that Apple would do something like this.   Wouldn't you, if it were your company?

I thought the same thing (interesting thought) at first, but Apple will need permission before using your electricity, CPU/Chip, internet, etc. It might not be as easy as it seems. Now, if they can pay out coins for using your rig or offer other compensation, then they might have something. But now we are back to centralized "money". And be sure, there will be billions of ICoins (what a sick though, almost makes me want to Ipuke in the Itoilet.)

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:16:32 PM

Haters will hate.

Lol. I think most people on this forum hate Apple and with very good reason. Theyre kind of the opposite of what most of us are about.

Sadly some are just very poor at saying why exactly, making it look like nothing but immature personal hate and jealousy.
Silly Money

Activity: 159

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:18:01 PM

What would they be jealous of? I dont hate them exactly but I don't like them because of many of their business practices.

bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:18:58 PM

I thought the same thing (interesting thought) at first, but Apple will need permission before using your electricity, CPU/Chip, internet, etc. It might not be as easy as it seems. Now, if they can pay out coins for using your rig or offer other compensation, then they might have something. But now we are back to centralized "money". And be sure, there will be billions of ICoins (what a sick though, almost makes me want to Ipuke in the Itoilet.)

IAS

This is why I think that they might only be putting the mining hardware into the iBeacon hardware thingy or POS units.
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 06:21:55 PM

Where  Word documents default encrypted or protected in any way?  Nope.  Could you export to common formats?  Yes.

It wasn't an open format and it wasn't documented correctly, making it impossible to make a text-program that could open and save word documents 100% correctly. There was always something that was broken... A bit of the same tactic they used in their implementation of CSS and HTML in IE. To the end user MS products always just seemed to work a little better than anything else, though of course we know that the real reason was of a different nature than just better quality.

And yes, you could save in other formats, but again, Word just magically seemed to be better at reading the other formats as well.

There are so many things wrong with what you said there. 

Activity: 165

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:22:20 PM

I think apple will need bitcoin more than bitcoin needs them eventually. Maybe they realised this.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:23:20 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2014, 06:52:22 PM by bananaControl

What would they be jealous of? I dont hate them exactly but I don't like them because of many of their business practices.

The people who call Apple-skeptics for "haters" might think that the negative vibes many people have towards Apple is a result of jealousy* of a "successful" company. This notion is only amplified when Apple-skeptics lash out against Apple and Apple users without giving any good valid reasons to why they do so.

edit

*jealousy

My wording might have been a bit off, what I'm really referring to is the Law of Jante made famous by a Norwegian writer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:24:09 PM

Then please enlighten me.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:29:25 PM

Not even close.

Microsoft had 95% of the desktop market in the 1990s. There were no choices back then.

There are many, many choices now. Apple can't be a monopoly if Android has 70% of the market! I don't know what world you are living in.

Android is more of a monopoly, and more like Microsoft was in the 90s.

I should have been more clear. I was referring to the way that MS tried to kill competition in their markets in an effort to gain and keep their monopolies.
BillyBobJoe

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:51:20 PM

You are very welcome!

I see plenty of Apple haters in here not supporting their position, while I also see Apple users trying to make a case that Apple products work fine for their needs.

A big difference between the two is Apple users don't seem to care if others use non-apple products or not.

bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:06:10 PM

You are very welcome!

I see plenty of Apple haters in here not supporting their position, while I also see Apple users trying to make a case that Apple products work fine for their needs.

A big difference between the two is Apple users don't seem to care if others use non-apple products or not.

To do that is very short sighted and is to completely miss the whole picture. A poor analogy could be: "I wouldn't have a problem with a new holocaust, because I'm not a Jew!". Many users of Word in the late 90's were probably also very happy users, because it worked just fine for them. Please go back and read the arguments already put on the table.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 07:12:48 PM

Godwin's Law has been violated.

bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:15:21 PM

Godwin's Law has been violated.

You mean, it was proven to be correct.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:17:43 PM

IAS

This is why I think that they might only be putting the mining hardware into the iBeacon hardware thingy or POS units.

It is a very interesting idea. Basically, an IMiner! Man, this is a bit scary actually, but still centralized. I mean they could offer or tie it to their stock even.
An then others would try to copy their miners (e.g. China) and then mine the coins. Jailbreaking your IMiner. Exciting!

Just throwing around ideas you can see Crypo's are going to really disrupt things.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:20:23 PM

It is a very interesting idea. Basically, an IMiner! Man, this is a bit scary actually, but still centralized. I mean they could offer or tie it to their stock even.
An then others would try to copy their miners (e.g. China) and then mine the coins. Jailbreaking your IMiner. Exciting!

Just throwing around ideas you can see Crypo's are going to really disrupt things.

IAS

Indeed and there will be many big battles Smiley
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:36:50 PM

It is really simple. If you like Apple's products you buy them. If you don't like them you don't buy them. Personally I like things that just work. I even like the "walled garden." It makes me feel more secure and it is nearly impossible to get malware from apps.

More to the point, to draw some conclusion about someone's character or level of intelligence because of their choice in technology is a bit weird. I think those that do that should look inward when they want to question the character and intelligence of people simply because they make a different choice. 

tatu

Activity: 138

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:40:57 PM

It is really simple. If you like Apple's products you buy them. If you don't like them you don't buy them.

Both sides are free to comment and share their opinion though.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:44:20 PM

It is really simple. If you like Apple's products you buy them. If you don't like them you don't buy them.

I have no problem with opinions. Some people tend to resort to insults and this weird sense of superiority when others make different decisions than them. That is where I have an issue.

nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:49:41 PM

I dont like Apple to much but that is great news for bitcoin.
Everyone of my friends almost has a Iphone so having a wallet on that is very important.
Its only gonna get more accepted now, when every phone has apps for bitcoin payments.
tatu

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:52:03 PM

I have no problem with opinions. Some people tend to resort to insults and this weird sense of superiority when others make different decisions than them. That is where I have an issue.

Well we cant do anything about them but hopefully they will learn how to conduct themselves other time.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:53:11 PM

I dont like Apple to much but that is great news for bitcoin.
Everyone of my friends almost has a Iphone so having a wallet on that is very important.
Its only gonna get more accepted now, when every phone has apps for bitcoin payments.

Yes. This is more about market share for bit coin than an apple vs android thing.

btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:53:46 PM

Well we cant do anything about them but hopefully they will learn how to conduct themselves other time.
While I do think this is a problem, I think the major one is how off-topic the discussion has gone. Sure, some may relate these discussions back to bitcoin, but a few of the posts actually have absolutely nothing to do and are just a fight between Android and iOS.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
Krang

Activity: 167

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:54:22 PM

So was there any explanation from apple as to why they even removed them in the first place?
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 09:03:00 PM

Then please enlighten me.

You are comparing Microsoft Word to a walled garden.

Nothing Microsoft did with Word back then was unusual.  Word is not going to use an 'open' format back then because they were not ready.  Everyone used their own format back then.

If other programs could not open Word that was their fault not Microsoft.  Fonts and formatting were not as standard as they are today and WordPerfect and others had considerable market share.

nxthing

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 09:08:24 AM

I cannot in any way understand why anyone gives a flying fuck about what that dying dinosaur of a walled garden does. With the way they operate as a company they ought to be completely irrelevant in this world  Angry

Apple's influence among mobile users all over the world is far-reaching, Nobody can underetimate the power at apple's asernal!
bbeagle

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:22:13 PM

You are comparing Microsoft Word to a walled garden.

Nothing Microsoft did with Word back then was unusual.  Word is not going to use an 'open' format back then because they were not ready.  Everyone used their own format back then.

If other programs could not open Word that was their fault not Microsoft.  Fonts and formatting were not as standard as they are today and WordPerfect and others had considerable market share.

You've got that exactly right, Littleshop.

Back when word processors were in their infancy, there was no 'standard' file format. There wasn't even a thought at a 'standard', because you couldn't make a standard when there were so many unknowns about what next thing to add to your program. Tables? Images? Different fonts? When the full set of features became more stable, only THEN did a standard make sense, and only THEN to the losers of the market share battle.

Additionally, what would Microsoft gain by making their word processor 'Word Perfect compatible'? Nothing. They would be stuck waiting for Word Perfect to create the next new feature before Microsoft Word could have it. Microsoft Word would always be one step behind the competition - why buy it? The best way was for Microsoft Word to read existing Word Perfect documents, then be able to save them as Word documents - allowing for Microsoft Word to be ahead of Word Perfect. That's how the market worked back then.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:56:52 PM

Yeah, Microsoft never used any dirty tricks what so ever to gain and keep monopolies, they did everything they could to always play on a level playing field. And all the big antitrust cases against them around the world was just caused by jealousy for their superior quality products. "Just bring on the fair competition" you could hear them scream from the rooftop in Redmond. Exactly like Apple today.

In case you didn't notice Littleshop, you are completely moving focus away from the fucking point here! Swap "walled garden" with "vendor lock-in", there happy now? They were still fucking playing dirty tricks using their 99.whatever% market share as a way to crippling competition. And they did that pretty much in all of their fields.
TYT

Activity: 78

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:26:39 PM

Approved them for thier own use perhaps? Maybe theyre getting ready to launch their own payment system?
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092

Touchdown

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:39:52 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/278hbm/coinjar_with_sending_function_enabled_on_ios/

^ Updated CoinJar already working on iOS in various territories.
bananaControl

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:46:03 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/278hbm/coinjar_with_sending_function_enabled_on_ios/

Positively surprised indeed! Let's hope they don't go and do a China later on Smiley
ClutchThese

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:10:57 PM

This is huge news.

i couldn't agree more! this is going to be amazing. We've already seen the short term rise in BTC, lets hold on because this rocket is fueled!

Signature for Rent - PM if Interested
BillyBobJoe

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:23:04 PM

Yes. This is more about market share for bit coin than an apple vs android thing.

Yes, exactly. That is how it should be.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092

Touchdown

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:32:26 PM

All we need now is a bigger iPhone.  That screen is far too small. Grin
Exergy

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:15:28 PM

Have any apps actually been approved following this chance which support bitcoin? The wording of the new terms is a bit vague, so the proof is in the pudding I guess.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:44:52 PM

Positively surprised indeed! Let's hope they don't go and do a China later on Smiley

Careful guys, there are also comments that the app steals coins. Not sure if bogus but no reason to download and use unless absolutely necessary.
Use only small amounts of BTC.

BTC = Black Swan.
steeev

Activity: 128
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 12:18:56 AM

Apple announce this in the wake of the Bilderberg conference in Copenhagen - dunno if they were there, but i heard Google were, and the question 'Does privacy exist ?' was discussed...
BitcoinBulls

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 12:38:58 AM

Looks like we were wrong to doubt Apple in this regard, but damn does it feel good to be wrong about this one!

http://bitcoinbulls.com/coinjar-bitcoin-trading-app-store/

cryptopaths

Activity: 616

Crypto Knight

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 01:08:11 AM

Is there a list of clients currently available for apple?
Musent

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:15:44 AM

This looks like it, maybe why we are once again going up after the big drop off.

It looks like Apple has updated its app developer guidelines today to allow for Bitcoin apps.

The new clause under section 11.17, which was flagged by folks on Twitter like investor Bill Lee today https://twitter.com/westcoastbill/status/473555837982900226, reads:

Apps may facilitate transmission of approved virtual currencies provided that they do so in compliance with all state and federal laws for the territories in which the app functions.

Wow, huge news for BTC.
jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 03:16:07 AM

Bitcoin, you have made it!

Apple haters say what you want, but if Apple has stamped bitcoin as okay, others will follow. 

The fact of the matter is that Apple has a well defined and very conservative line.  If bitcoin is good enough for Apple, lots of other organizations will think it is okay and good enough for them too. 

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:15:14 AM

Apple haters say what you want, but if Apple has stamped bitcoin as okay, others will follow. 

The fact of the matter is that Apple has a well defined and very conservative line.  If bitcoin is good enough for Apple, lots of other organizations will think it is okay and good enough for them too. 

It opens up another group to bit coin. Apple users are a very loyal group.

forever21

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 07:32:27 AM

apple seems to have a only baseline for btc and some bitcoin ticker but i havent seen any wallet application from them
well hopefully they will update it soon its nice to have an on the go wallet while you are away from your computer and using an apple phone when android is not available
Musent

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 12:36:07 PM

The sheeple will definitely follow with this.
BSIG

Activity: 75

Vintage4X4

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 04:57:10 PM

apple seems to have a only baseline for btc and some bitcoin ticker but i havent seen any wallet application from them
well hopefully they will update it soon its nice to have an on the go wallet while you are away from your computer and using an apple phone when android is not available

Blockchain wallet app is still up and running for jb'd devices, non jbd though had to get them prior 12/13.

The appstore even had a cpu miner for mining scrypt coins only hashing at a measly 32khs, u had to set up a stratum proxy elsewhere though, perfect for when everyones iphone is mining for your account.  Grin

AAPL should allow Bitcoin wallet apps provided the source is available for peer review.

Vintage4X4
forever21

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:11:51 PM

Blockchain wallet app is still up and running for jb'd devices, non jbd though had to get them prior 12/13.

The appstore even had a cpu miner for mining scrypt coins only hashing at a measly 32khs, u had to set up a stratum proxy elsewhere though, perfect for when everyones iphone is mining for your account.  Grin

AAPL should allow Bitcoin wallet apps provided the source is available for peer review.

how does it work and what kind of application is that?  Shocked can you pm me the details Grin
deadley
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1064

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:57:26 PM

Coinjar Returns to Apple app store.

http://www.coindesk.com/coinjar-apple-app-store-features-restored/

We were  waiting for this and its happening now more good news coming for bitcoin communites.

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 07:54:07 AM

Coinjar Returns to Apple app store.

We were  waiting for this and its happening now more good news coming for bitcoin communites.

Awesome. Now if i can just remember my apple id password.

jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 02:33:28 PM

First Apple, and now a few days later Facebook is allowing apps for tipping in crypto. 

jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 03:41:45 PM

anyone seen any wallets on the app store?
as of now I have not

From what I read one company with the function to send bitcoin had apps and people had sent through it, but it was only in about 10 countries, and the US wasn't one of them. 

Apple makes an app store for each country, so the content of the app stores very a lot. 

jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 04:45:29 PM

anyone seen any wallets on the app store?
as of now I have not

From what I read one company with the function to send bitcoin had apps and people had sent through it, but it was only in about 10 countries, and the US wasn't one of them. 

Apple makes an app store for each country, so the content of the app stores very a lot. 
I'm in AUS and I currently do not see anything

If you are in AUS, can you find an app called coinjar?

Catmoonglow

Activity: 147

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:47:01 PM

The comments say the app developer is a scammer and it's not safe to use the application.
RepublicSpace

Activity: 145

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 05:24:30 PM

That's why we can definietely say that Bitcoin is ready to go mainstream  Wink
TheTruth4

Activity: 108

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 05:39:31 PM

Obviously I'd prefer all Bitcoin wallets available on iOS, however.
TheTruth4

Activity: 108

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 05:40:37 PM

The reason I don't care too much is because of HTML5 wallets and that android exists.
Catmoonglow

Activity: 147

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 07:02:47 PM

Well, it's still weird how Apple firstly took down a Bitcoin app, but let a Dogecoin app pass.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 07:12:42 PM

I would love to see an app version of bit coin qt. Probably too much data to store on a portable though.

LastRoby
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 08:59:11 PM

I'm happy that Apple has taken this decision ..  Wink
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 08:50:33 PM

Me too. Now we just have to wait for the devs to make something. It would be cool if you could buy apps with bitcoin but I doubt Apple would do that.
Justin00
Legendary

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 08:57:30 PM

does apple even have the faintess clue what dogecoin is ??

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:35:09 PM

Figured Apple wouldn't be able to stay away from that crypto-spoon for very long!

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
SirChiko
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:39:12 PM

Figured Apple wouldn't be able to stay away from that crypto-spoon for very long!
Stay tunned for applecoin Cheesy

The only online casino on which i won something. I made 17mBTC from 1mBTC in like 15 minutes.  This is not paid AD!

▀Check it out yourself▀
shazhuogzrby734

Activity: 128

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:17:12 AM

a lot of people hesitant about bitcoin because of Apple.

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform  
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Airdrop to BTC holders
twistyfy

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:22:42 AM

Huge step for Bitcoin, weather you're team android or iphone!
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 02:25:11 AM

Huge step for Bitcoin, weather you're team android or iphone!

Yes. There is a significant number of Apple users that were locked out of the mobile wallet. Hopefully Apple learned a good lesson about bit coin from this.

techlover

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:42:39 AM

This is good news, i hope someday people can develop ios wallet that use the finger print to log in.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:44:32 AM

This is good news, i hope someday people can develop ios wallet that use the finger print to log in.

The finger print sensor would be a great application for that.

keithers
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:02:36 AM

Hopefully the Coinbase app will be back soon.. That was one that I actually used... I actively use the Blockchain one too...
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 06:03:02 AM

http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2013/10/fingerprints-are-user-names-not.html

scribbles

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:03:45 PM

Me too. Now we just have to wait for the devs to make something. It would be cool if you could buy apps with bitcoin but I doubt Apple would do that.

Both coinbase and blockchain.info had iOS apps before they were pulled from the apple app store. Shouldn't be difficult to get those back up quickly. Hopefully more devs will create other options as well!

▄▄███████▄▄
        ▄███▀▀
▄▄▄▄    ▀▄
     ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▀▄
  ▄▀▀██▀           ▀▀██▄▄▀▄
▄▀  ██                 ▀██
  ██       ▀▀█▀▀         █
█▀        █ █ █        ▄█▀▄
▀▄         █ █ █       ▄█  █
 ██         █▄▄▄█      ▄█  ▄▀
  ██▄                ▄█▀  ▄▀
  ▀▄▀██▄▄          ▄█▀  ▄▀
   ▀▄ ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀▀
     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
UTRUST▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █
●  Download WHITEPAPER  ●
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▼ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
facebook      twitter      slack
▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █
blablaace

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 09:21:47 PM

wow this is great
ShakyhandsBTCer

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 11:11:32 PM

Android hosts 99% of mobile malware and even flagship android phone buyers are often left out on upgrades.  The android upgrade problem is do bad the majority of android devices are out of date.

Apple does a very good job at screening their apps against malware, apps with "hidden" charges and useless apps (one example of this was the app that cost $999 and was basically a bright picture of gold, and literally did nothing). In the process of doing this they also censor things they do not like. It is somewhat of a tradeoff.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:11:27 AM

Apple does a very good job at screening their apps against malware, apps with "hidden" charges and useless apps (one example of this was the app that cost $999 and was basically a bright picture of gold, and literally did nothing). In the process of doing this they also censor things they do not like. It is somewhat of a tradeoff.

I was pretty pissed, like most were, when Apple wouldn't allow Bitcoin Apps on their ISO devices. Clearly many were extremely upset and started to even destroy their IPhones.
That said, what you hit on is bringing up an important issue - Security.  I have yet to buy a Smart Phone, as my Ipad is enough of a time waster, though useful at work.

The latest I heard on a podcast (Think it was Epicenter Bitcoin) is that Apple is allowing wallets but might not be allowing Apps that allow the buying and selling of Bitcoin. (Local Bitcoins, Coinbase? Correct me if I am wrong).

So, this battle might just be getting started. I can see Apples perspective if they are being careful legally. But if it comes out that they are being self interested
or the like here (which doesn't look to be the case with the latest bans), then they just opened up a mountain of problems.

Its about sharing

BTC = Black Swan.
salmondance

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:34:22 AM

Thanks, Apple. I've always thought youre pretty cool  Wink
deadley
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1064

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:41:23 AM

Thanks, Apple. I've always thought youre pretty cool  Wink

Apple is best company for user, they always think good about their user and for their benefit.

Gianluca95
Legendary

Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:16:27 AM

Surely is a great news.

Apple, which is one of the bigger company of the world, is open to Bitcoin.

But, to the market this news won't nobody effects, because U.S. government selling a much quantities of Bitcoin  Angry Angry

█████████████████████████████
███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..
jranier

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 04:58:20 AM

Great news! I think I'll hold out for the Blockchain.info apps comeback (if they bring it back).
AlPutino

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:14:41 AM

Finally, Apple!! Great news  Smiley
jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 05:23:38 AM

Can anyone confirm actually downloading a wallet and using it on IOS.  I really hope that the news is true, but I do realize there is a difference between theoretically "approving" and "existing".

forever21

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:31:02 AM

no there is no wallet for btc on the apps store maybe in some repo on jailbroken phone there is shame that i cant jailbreak my phone because of its ios 7.1.shit thing  Roll Eyes
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

My iphone is stuck on 6.0 so i probably wont even be able to use wallet apps till i get the iphone 6 lol
forever21

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:05:03 AM

My iphone is stuck on 6.0 so i probably wont even be able to use wallet apps till i get the iphone 6 lol

you can jailbreak it my phone is jailbroken before but it restore itself so i when i plug it on itunes then the new ios has automatically installed i dunno what happen back then but ios 7 is totaly useless for me as there are more similar apps available in cydia plus i hate the boring theme of apple  Undecided
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:07:47 AM

Epic news indeed!  I guess they(Apple) didn't think it was the best idea to shut off such strong up and coming market that could very well lead people to use their phones for a long time to come.  Or maybe there was something else I've overlooked but either way this is a major story that will be a big deal as time progresses.  Cool
forever21

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:14:04 AM

Epic news indeed!  I guess they(Apple) didn't think it was the best idea to shut off such strong up and coming market that could very well lead people to use their phones for a long time to come.  Or maybe there was something else I've overlooked but either way this is a major story that will be a big deal as time progresses.  Cool

maybe apple hate bitcoin Cheesy remember that there is one guy who shot his new iphone 5 for a brandnew nexus just because apple banned some apps that related to btc iit was posted on reddit before and i love the way that guy shoot his iphone with some riffle Cheesy
Yeah?

Activity: 79

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 01:25:17 PM

So does anyone know when I'll be able to download and use the blockchain.info app again?
joshraban76

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:01:21 PM

As I always say, it's just a matter of time and BTC will go viral, give time some time.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
Gianluca95
Legendary

Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:01:47 PM

That's a big news ! I hope that Apple improve definitely Bitcoin Smiley

███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..
LeMiner

Activity: 139

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

I want the official blockchain.info app back in the app store! Currently downloading it through Cydia works fine but I prefer an official app.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 04:29:21 PM

I was pretty pissed, like most were, when Apple wouldn't allow Bitcoin Apps on their ISO devices. Clearly many were extremely upset and started to even destroy their IPhones.
That said, what you hit on is bringing up an important issue - Security.  I have yet to buy a Smart Phone, as my Ipad is enough of a time waster, though useful at work.

The latest I heard on a podcast (Think it was Epicenter Bitcoin) is that Apple is allowing wallets but might not be allowing Apps that allow the buying and selling of Bitcoin. (Local Bitcoins, Coinbase? Correct me if I am wrong).

So, this battle might just be getting started. I can see Apples perspective if they are being careful legally. But if it comes out that they are being self interested
or the like here (which doesn't look to be the case with the latest bans), then they just opened up a mountain of problems.

Its about sharing

I think part of the issue is consumer protection and part of it is they do not understand Bitcoin fully.

Since bitcoin transactions cannot be reversed once confirmed by the blockchain (and really once they are sent to the network) if a person makes a mistake or is scammed then they are simply out of luck. I think that a large amount of bitcoin related thefts have more to do with social engineering and less about security. Apple likely wants to tread lightly before allowing people to download an app that could potentially hold thousands of dollars of a user's money that could be stolen and would be no way to reverse a theft.
scribbles

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:31:44 PM

For coinbase users, here's the response I got today from an inquiry about when their wallet app will be back in the apple app store:

"Already submitted, [my name removed]. Just waiting for Apple to approve it. Be sure to check the blog at blog.coinbase.com for announcements. Believe me, you’re not the only one who wants this back up and running."

So, looks like this should be another option in addition to the 4-5 already up today  Smiley

▄▄███████▄▄
        ▄███▀▀
▄▄▄▄    ▀▄
     ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▀▄
  ▄▀▀██▀           ▀▀██▄▄▀▄
▄▀  ██                 ▀██
  ██       ▀▀█▀▀         █
█▀        █ █ █        ▄█▀▄
▀▄         █ █ █       ▄█  █
 ██         █▄▄▄█      ▄█  ▄▀
  ██▄                ▄█▀  ▄▀
  ▀▄▀██▄▄          ▄█▀  ▄▀
   ▀▄ ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀▀
     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
UTRUST▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █
●  Download WHITEPAPER  ●
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▼ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
facebook      twitter      slack
▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █
Sniar

Activity: 560

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 08:48:21 PM

Is it secure if it's Apple ?

I never own a Apple product before , I don't know how good is their security. Not that Android is very safe either  Undecided
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 08:52:09 PM

Its about sharing

I think part of the issue is consumer protection and part of it is they do not understand Bitcoin fully.

Since bitcoin transactions cannot be reversed once confirmed by the blockchain (and really once they are sent to the network) if a person makes a mistake or is scammed then they are simply out of luck. I think that a large amount of bitcoin related thefts have more to do with social engineering and less about security. Apple likely wants to tread lightly before allowing people to download an app that could potentially hold thousands of dollars of a user's money that could be stolen and would be no way to reverse a theft.

Thanks for the explation. Funny, I am unhappy with some of the apps I buy, some don't work well or at all, albeit rarely. I never even get a reply. I think apps should come with a 1 hr trial or the like.

BTC = Black Swan.
takeshishimmura

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:00:33 AM

This is going to make Google stop doing these small incremental changes they've been doing since ICS and unveil something huge to gain back that ground.
Justin00
Legendary

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:30:23 AM

people still use apple produts ?
soooo 2013

but yeah, good news for you folks who do use apple and bitcoin in general. did they give a reason and to their change of heart ??

ClutchThese

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:04:52 AM

Is it secure if it's Apple ?

I never own a Apple product before , I don't know how good is their security. Not that Android is very safe either  Undecided

Well, all of their apps are "screened". However, there have been some security folks who were able to slip some sly apps onto the app store a few times. It's all based on who reviews your app. However, when compared to google play store, you can list an app and it's available right away. So, when comparing these two i'd say yes, apple is a bit more secure.

ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:09:30 AM

Its about sharing

Thanks for the explation. Funny, I am unhappy with some of the apps I buy, some don't work well or at all, albeit rarely. I never even get a reply. I think apps should come with a 1 hr trial or the like.

A 1 hour trial would be an interesting way to do things.

I know that a lot of games on iTunes app store have both free (paid for via ads) and paid versions.

I would suggest checking the reviews prior to buying a paid app, especially when it is not from a larger dev.
bitcoincal

Activity: 132

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:10:56 AM

After installing the cydia app I'm having trouble displaying the app on my home screen.

1CuWECCUQwkmQTpJdXd6Ga5tXKoJ5f8tPb
unexecuted

Activity: 175

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:32:04 AM

I'd just like to remind everyone that any rouge app you install may steal your bitcoins, install apps with caution (bitcoin related or not)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 10:08:18 AM

I'd just like to remind everyone that any rouge app you install may steal your bitcoins, install apps with caution (bitcoin related or not)

thats it.

SomethingElse

Activity: 210

Looking for the next big thing

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:56:39 PM

In a few years from now, I think these apps will be more popular. Really, the future of bitcoin is on mobile.  Without mobile apps, I wouldn't invest because then bitcoin would be more like gold and not dollars.

NEM
Sniar

Activity: 560

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:38:38 PM

Don't jailbreak your iphone if you want it to be secure...

From where I came from , most people has jailbreak as they wouldn't want to spend money on apps
Harley997

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:41:05 PM

I think this is what apple was so concerned about when they prevented bitcoin related apps from being sold/downloaded from the app store previously

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
makebitcoin

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:46:38 PM

soooo 2013

but yeah, good news for you folks who do use apple and bitcoin in general. did they give a reason and to their change of heart ??

Apple has great products actually, it's just that they are uber expensive. I loved my iPhone when I had one and I've used Macs from other people.
The OS is great, it's just the hardware that is way too expensive.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:35:45 PM

soooo 2013

Apple has great products actually, it's just that they are uber expensive. I loved my iPhone when I had one and I've used Macs from other people.

I would say that they are expensive but they are worth the added price you pay. In terms of quality they are cheaper.
NotAtOld

Activity: 200

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 08:37:19 AM

This is the perfect beginners wallet. What I like most is that you can sweep private keys. I normally hand out prefilled paper wallets when explaining bitcoin.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 08:53:40 AM

After apple "bans" bitcoin and caused all sorts of drama, now they support it?

I remember several users pledged to destroy their iphones and recorded it when apple initially banned the use of bitcoin apps. Funny stuff.

ClutchThese

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 11:17:57 AM

I remember several users pledged to destroy their iphones and recorded it when apple initially banned the use of bitcoin apps. Funny stuff.

There was no regulation for bitcoin. Apple was doing what they had to do to protect themselves. Living is the past and faulting someone for not accepting bitcoin earlier isn't going to help expand Bitcoin into what we want it to be. Now that Apple is allowing bitcoin into their store, why not give praise where it's due? It was a smart decision and everyone will benefit from it.

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 11:46:50 AM

There was no regulation for bitcoin. Apple was doing what they had to do to protect themselves. Living is the past and faulting someone for not accepting bitcoin earlier isn't going to help expand Bitcoin into what we want it to be. Now that Apple is allowing bitcoin into their store, why not give praise where it's due? It was a smart decision and everyone will benefit from it.

Ok, so why don't they "protect themselves" again? Nothing has changed for bitcoin since their first ban. I don't believe they even gave users even a few days notice before plucking the apps. And now, they did a complete 180 to support bitcoin again. I'm pretty sure they're accepting bitcoin again is because the backlash that they didn't expect, and this can be seen as a "feature" that will attract bitcoin supporters. It's a business and self-interest decision, but I doubt they could care less about the actual bitcoin.

Guido
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 11:57:03 AM

coinjar and coinpocket have been readded

whats taking blockchain so long? no word they have even resubmitted

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
LeMiner

Activity: 139

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 02:03:14 PM

Extremely annoying indeed. Would love a update on this.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 03:48:18 PM

coinjar and coinpocket have been readded

I believe the CEO said that blockchain.info was re-submitted right?   Or did he say that they were planning on re-submitting to Apple?   This was like the same day that the Apple announcement was made...
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 03:53:46 PM

soooo 2013

You should hit their refurbished store. I buy Macs and portable devices from there all the time. They are usually returned items that they can't sell as new. When I bought my iMac it came in the same box and had all the same acessories. It just cost me a lot less. 

Harley997

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 12:57:05 AM

I think apple had previously banned the bitcoin apps so they could study and understand Bitcoin better so they could develop policies about their apps to protect themselves and their images

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
forever21

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:30:36 AM

I think apple had previously banned the bitcoin apps so they could study and understand Bitcoin better so they could develop policies about their apps to protect themselves and their images

what could it be? lol so it is just mean that applke is afraid of bitcoin?  Shocked in that case well i thibnk that was a dumb excuses dev and some people used bitcoins
bitcoins can make apple more popular and vice versa what is the used of their regulation when they have some bitcoin related apps but they dont have any wallet lol but it could be more safe to have a bitcoin wallet on ios than android
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 08:37:08 AM

We were all better off sticking to Android, the best option for bitcoin enthusiast.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:44:35 PM

We were all better off sticking to Android, the best option for bitcoin enthusiast.

I agree in part. The HUGE problem is security. Catch 22 situation here.
I understand hot wallets should not have much in them, but the idea of having a wallet on Android (at this time) is a bit scary.
I just trust Apple products a lot more here.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 05:36:07 PM

The Blockchain.info CEO showed a few screenshots of what the new blockchain.info iphone app will look like

http://newsbtc.com/2014/06/18/nic-cary-teases-new-blockchain-wallet-apple-ios/
forever21

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 04:43:15 AM

bitwallet and coinbase is now on apple i guess the rumor is true i am currently downloading the bitwallet apps
FlowerMatt

Activity: 64

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:05:04 AM

Oooh SHIT. Nice. If this refers to bitcoin (as an 'approved currency') then Bitcoin became just a little more frictionless for millions of users virtually overnight as everyone releases their apps.

FlowerMatt

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:06:49 AM

Awesome move. Respect to all the individuals and companies working tirelessly to build an awesome ecosystem with or without Apple that has gained momentum and credibility in the face of some of the worst dirt (e.g. Silkroad, CryptoLocker, Mt. Gox) a product can imagine, to the extent that it's now so credible and well-spoken about that a company like Apple reverses its decision.

FlowerMatt

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:08:46 AM

Let's hope this ends up being as it sounds.

tigeRshoes

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:14:56 AM

As someone finishing development of an HTML5 wallet targeted at Apple users...
Fuck.
DumDumz

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:31:13 AM

The comments say the app developer is a scammer and it's not safe to use the application.

kresimirnovakovic

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:46:55 AM

I agree, because it allows for greater flexibility, especially when it comes to multiple-coin support and features. Some features are available to android devices' apps that simply are not available to the sandboxed walled garden of Apple and its approval process.

(I may be a bit biased though, I have always loved customisability to bits and that was the reason that I got my phone (nexus 5) and use the operating system that I do (debian))
rhino34567

Activity: 288

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 06:25:21 AM

What app are we talking about here?

Judging by the fact that those pictures of blockchain.info were shown, my guess is that it has not been submitted yet. I'm anxiously waiting for it.

forever21

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 06:31:53 AM

who will use an application from a not trusted person Cheesy of course people still choose blockchain or offline wallet to protect their coins the only good things about smartphone is you can carry it on the go if you dont know how to use paper wallet then ios/android apps is the last resort
JypsiCreme

Activity: 149

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 07:47:31 AM

Fuck.

HTML5 = cross-platform. That has value.
StatusSeeking

Activity: 78

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 07:57:45 AM

This is true.
The effort wouldn't be all in vain, it's just that the main motivation in making the app was to provide an option for Apple users. If they have the choice of an in-browser HTML5 app and a native app from the store, the native app will probably win Wink
PalmerLaura

Activity: 116

IPSX: Distributed Network Layer

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 08:26:55 AM

This is true.
The effort wouldn't be all in vain, it's just that the main motivation in making the app was to provide an option for Apple users. If they have the choice of an in-browser HTML5 app and a native app from the store, the native app will probably win Wink

The problem with the native app is that we've been burned by Apple already on this issue. It's like the abusive mate coming back home with flowers and saying, "I'm not going to hit anymore."

PalmerLaura

Activity: 116

IPSX: Distributed Network Layer

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 08:28:57 AM

This is true.

We don't know when Apple will lose it's cool and start slapping us around again. That native app might lose support and worst case scenario, it's removed suddenly during a software update and I have no recourse to getting those coins.
I'd prefer an in-browser HTML5 app.

cccarnation

Activity: 146

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 08:42:08 AM

This is true.

PhoneGap/Cordova it and then you have a native app too

illymoka

Activity: 133

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 09:04:13 AM

This is true.

No, because being able to log onto my wallet without having to use my iPhone is primordial.
NotAtOld

Activity: 200

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 09:40:49 AM

This is true.

No, because being able to log onto my wallet without having to use my iPhone is primordial.

This is also true. The wallet will be accessible from any device, which is a bonus. And some other features people will like.
logger

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:05:20 AM

This is true.

Yeah, I totally get where you are coming from. And, not to tell you how to feel or anything, but we should all be ecstatic about this news. It's huge.
CoolBliss

Activity: 97

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:42:50 AM

Fuck.

Believe it when you see it. Until then your work is not in vein...come to think of it...it's not in vein if apple does allow bitcoin apps. more choices, more freedoms.
Yeah?

Activity: 79

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 02:36:33 PM

The blockchain app still isn't on the app store. What gives? When will it be available?
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:54:59 AM

The blockchain app still isn't on the app store. What gives? When will it be available?

Only blockchain can give you a definite answer.
jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 01:58:53 AM

I think it is okay.  It uses a Coinbase API and Coinbase looked over the code and said it was fine.  Still.... the dev could push an update at anytime and who knows then what happens.  If I was using it I would use it with a secondary account with small amounts of bitcoin until something "official" comes along.

Skele

Activity: 224

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:03:52 AM

Yahoo, Apple, Google, Amazon, Ebay, Wall Street; it is so delectable watching our baby growing so fast :')
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 08:50:09 PM

Yahoo, Apple, Google, Amazon, Ebay, Wall Street; it is so delectable watching our baby growing so fast :')

Was just talking about something similar in another thread.
Think back to a year and what was happening then. Essentially speculation.
Now look at "us". Where will we be in another year? Scary to suppose...

Its about sharing

BTC = Black Swan.
logger

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:37:21 AM

Until the word "Bitcoin" appears on their list of approved currencies, this is not something to be excited about
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:00:13 AM

Until the word "Bitcoin" appears on their list of approved currencies, this is not something to be excited about

If the Apps that were once banned are now allowed and if the US Government is behind Bitcoin, what exactly do you want?
Do they even have a list or is it implied via actions (such as above)?

Eventually though, I think we get that list. The space is still a youngin though.

BTC = Black Swan.
DumDumz

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 03:45:31 AM

haha
apple strategy on the year  Cheesy LOL

oceans

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:30:11 PM

Im a current iPhone user and having wallet on iPhone would be great. As some others have said, now you don't have to have 2 phones.
It would awesome if I could buy an iPhone with bitcoin.
joshraban76

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 01:03:03 AM

After owning every iphone since the beginning, I switched to android last year. I am very happy running a mobile version of electrum on my big screen Note 3 and it will take more then approving wallets to get me to go back. I need to see apple step up and really wow me with the next device for me to switch back. As much as I would love that to happen mainly because I own hundreds of $$ in apps in the app store, I don't think it will happen.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: