Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 02:38:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Approves Bitcoin Wallets  (Read 9443 times)
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:11:27 AM

I cannot in any way understand why anyone gives a flying fuck about what that dying dinosaur of a walled garden does. With the way they operate as a company they ought to be completely irrelevant in this world  Angry

You have a very unusual definition of dying dinosaur, as Apple is both growing and profitable.

Maybe I'm underestimating peoples joy of being sodomized.

Android hosts 99% of mobile malware and even flagship android phone buyers are often left out on upgrades.  The android upgrade problem is do bad the majority of android devices are out of date.

So who is getting fucked more?

Apple does a very good job at screening their apps against malware, apps with "hidden" charges and useless apps (one example of this was the app that cost $999 and was basically a bright picture of gold, and literally did nothing). In the process of doing this they also censor things they do not like. It is somewhat of a tradeoff.

I was pretty pissed, like most were, when Apple wouldn't allow Bitcoin Apps on their ISO devices. Clearly many were extremely upset and started to even destroy their IPhones.
That said, what you hit on is bringing up an important issue - Security.  I have yet to buy a Smart Phone, as my Ipad is enough of a time waster, though useful at work.

The latest I heard on a podcast (Think it was Epicenter Bitcoin) is that Apple is allowing wallets but might not be allowing Apps that allow the buying and selling of Bitcoin. (Local Bitcoins, Coinbase? Correct me if I am wrong).

So, this battle might just be getting started. I can see Apples perspective if they are being careful legally. But if it comes out that they are being self interested
or the like here (which doesn't look to be the case with the latest bans), then they just opened up a mountain of problems.

Its about sharing

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
salmondance

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:34:22 AM

Thanks, Apple. I've always thought youre pretty cool  Wink
deadley
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1064

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:41:23 AM

Thanks, Apple. I've always thought youre pretty cool  Wink

Apple is best company for user, they always think good about their user and for their benefit.

Gianluca95
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:16:27 AM

Surely is a great news.

Apple, which is one of the bigger company of the world, is open to Bitcoin.

But, to the market this news won't nobody effects, because U.S. government selling a much quantities of Bitcoin  Angry Angry

█████████████████████████████
███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..
jranier

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 04:58:20 AM

Great news! I think I'll hold out for the Blockchain.info apps comeback (if they bring it back).
AlPutino

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:14:41 AM

Finally, Apple!! Great news  Smiley
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 05:23:38 AM

Can anyone confirm actually downloading a wallet and using it on IOS.  I really hope that the news is true, but I do realize there is a difference between theoretically "approving" and "existing".

forever21

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:31:02 AM

no there is no wallet for btc on the apps store maybe in some repo on jailbroken phone there is shame that i cant jailbreak my phone because of its ios 7.1.shit thing  Roll Eyes
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

My iphone is stuck on 6.0 so i probably wont even be able to use wallet apps till i get the iphone 6 lol
forever21

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:05:03 AM

My iphone is stuck on 6.0 so i probably wont even be able to use wallet apps till i get the iphone 6 lol

you can jailbreak it my phone is jailbroken before but it restore itself so i when i plug it on itunes then the new ios has automatically installed i dunno what happen back then but ios 7 is totaly useless for me as there are more similar apps available in cydia plus i hate the boring theme of apple  Undecided
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:07:47 AM

Epic news indeed!  I guess they(Apple) didn't think it was the best idea to shut off such strong up and coming market that could very well lead people to use their phones for a long time to come.  Or maybe there was something else I've overlooked but either way this is a major story that will be a big deal as time progresses.  Cool
forever21

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:14:04 AM

Epic news indeed!  I guess they(Apple) didn't think it was the best idea to shut off such strong up and coming market that could very well lead people to use their phones for a long time to come.  Or maybe there was something else I've overlooked but either way this is a major story that will be a big deal as time progresses.  Cool

maybe apple hate bitcoin Cheesy remember that there is one guy who shot his new iphone 5 for a brandnew nexus just because apple banned some apps that related to btc iit was posted on reddit before and i love the way that guy shoot his iphone with some riffle Cheesy
Yeah?

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 01:25:17 PM

So does anyone know when I'll be able to download and use the blockchain.info app again?
joshraban76

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:01:21 PM

As I always say, it's just a matter of time and BTC will go viral, give time some time.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
Gianluca95
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:01:47 PM

That's a big news ! I hope that Apple improve definitely Bitcoin Smiley

███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..
LeMiner

Activity: 139
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

I want the official blockchain.info app back in the app store! Currently downloading it through Cydia works fine but I prefer an official app.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 04:29:21 PM

I cannot in any way understand why anyone gives a flying fuck about what that dying dinosaur of a walled garden does. With the way they operate as a company they ought to be completely irrelevant in this world  Angry

You have a very unusual definition of dying dinosaur, as Apple is both growing and profitable.

Android hosts 99% of mobile malware and even flagship android phone buyers are often left out on upgrades.  The android upgrade problem is do bad the majority of android devices are out of date.

Apple does a very good job at screening their apps against malware, apps with "hidden" charges and useless apps (one example of this was the app that cost $999 and was basically a bright picture of gold, and literally did nothing). In the process of doing this they also censor things they do not like. It is somewhat of a tradeoff.

I was pretty pissed, like most were, when Apple wouldn't allow Bitcoin Apps on their ISO devices. Clearly many were extremely upset and started to even destroy their IPhones.
That said, what you hit on is bringing up an important issue - Security.  I have yet to buy a Smart Phone, as my Ipad is enough of a time waster, though useful at work.

The latest I heard on a podcast (Think it was Epicenter Bitcoin) is that Apple is allowing wallets but might not be allowing Apps that allow the buying and selling of Bitcoin. (Local Bitcoins, Coinbase? Correct me if I am wrong).

So, this battle might just be getting started. I can see Apples perspective if they are being careful legally. But if it comes out that they are being self interested
or the like here (which doesn't look to be the case with the latest bans), then they just opened up a mountain of problems.

Its about sharing

I think part of the issue is consumer protection and part of it is they do not understand Bitcoin fully.

Since bitcoin transactions cannot be reversed once confirmed by the blockchain (and really once they are sent to the network) if a person makes a mistake or is scammed then they are simply out of luck. I think that a large amount of bitcoin related thefts have more to do with social engineering and less about security. Apple likely wants to tread lightly before allowing people to download an app that could potentially hold thousands of dollars of a user's money that could be stolen and would be no way to reverse a theft.
scribbles

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:31:44 PM

For coinbase users, here's the response I got today from an inquiry about when their wallet app will be back in the apple app store:

"Already submitted, [my name removed]. Just waiting for Apple to approve it. Be sure to check the blog at blog.coinbase.com for announcements. Believe me, you’re not the only one who wants this back up and running."

So, looks like this should be another option in addition to the 4-5 already up today  Smiley

▄▄███████▄▄
        ▄███▀▀
▄▄▄▄    ▀▄
     ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▀▄
  ▄▀▀██▀           ▀▀██▄▄▀▄
▄▀  ██                 ▀██
  ██       ▀▀█▀▀         █
█▀        █ █ █        ▄█▀▄
▀▄         █ █ █       ▄█  █
 ██         █▄▄▄█      ▄█  ▄▀
  ██▄                ▄█▀  ▄▀
  ▀▄▀██▄▄          ▄█▀  ▄▀
   ▀▄ ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀▀
     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
UTRUST▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █
●  Download WHITEPAPER  ●
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▼ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
facebook      twitter      slack
▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █
Sniar

Activity: 560

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 08:48:21 PM

Is it secure if it's Apple ?

I never own a Apple product before , I don't know how good is their security. Not that Android is very safe either  Undecided
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 08:52:09 PM

Its about sharing

I think part of the issue is consumer protection and part of it is they do not understand Bitcoin fully.

Since bitcoin transactions cannot be reversed once confirmed by the blockchain (and really once they are sent to the network) if a person makes a mistake or is scammed then they are simply out of luck. I think that a large amount of bitcoin related thefts have more to do with social engineering and less about security. Apple likely wants to tread lightly before allowing people to download an app that could potentially hold thousands of dollars of a user's money that could be stolen and would be no way to reverse a theft.

Thanks for the explation. Funny, I am unhappy with some of the apps I buy, some don't work well or at all, albeit rarely. I never even get a reply. I think apps should come with a 1 hr trial or the like.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: