Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:53:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Approves Bitcoin Wallets  (Read 9439 times)
takeshishimmura

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:00:33 AM

This is going to make Google stop doing these small incremental changes they've been doing since ICS and unveil something huge to gain back that ground.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:30:23 AM

people still use apple produts ?
soooo 2013

but yeah, good news for you folks who do use apple and bitcoin in general. did they give a reason and to their change of heart ??

ClutchThese

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:04:52 AM

Is it secure if it's Apple ?

I never own a Apple product before , I don't know how good is their security. Not that Android is very safe either  Undecided

Well, all of their apps are "screened". However, there have been some security folks who were able to slip some sly apps onto the app store a few times. It's all based on who reviews your app. However, when compared to google play store, you can list an app and it's available right away. So, when comparing these two i'd say yes, apple is a bit more secure.

Signature for Rent - PM if Interested
ShakyhandsBTCer

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:09:30 AM

I cannot in any way understand why anyone gives a flying fuck about what that dying dinosaur of a walled garden does. With the way they operate as a company they ought to be completely irrelevant in this world  Angry

You have a very unusual definition of dying dinosaur, as Apple is both growing and profitable.

Maybe I'm underestimating peoples joy of being sodomized.

Android hosts 99% of mobile malware and even flagship android phone buyers are often left out on upgrades.  The android upgrade problem is do bad the majority of android devices are out of date.

So who is getting fucked more?

Apple does a very good job at screening their apps against malware, apps with "hidden" charges and useless apps (one example of this was the app that cost $999 and was basically a bright picture of gold, and literally did nothing). In the process of doing this they also censor things they do not like. It is somewhat of a tradeoff.

I was pretty pissed, like most were, when Apple wouldn't allow Bitcoin Apps on their ISO devices. Clearly many were extremely upset and started to even destroy their IPhones.
That said, what you hit on is bringing up an important issue - Security.  I have yet to buy a Smart Phone, as my Ipad is enough of a time waster, though useful at work.

The latest I heard on a podcast (Think it was Epicenter Bitcoin) is that Apple is allowing wallets but might not be allowing Apps that allow the buying and selling of Bitcoin. (Local Bitcoins, Coinbase? Correct me if I am wrong).

So, this battle might just be getting started. I can see Apples perspective if they are being careful legally. But if it comes out that they are being self interested
or the like here (which doesn't look to be the case with the latest bans), then they just opened up a mountain of problems.

Its about sharing

I think part of the issue is consumer protection and part of it is they do not understand Bitcoin fully.

Since bitcoin transactions cannot be reversed once confirmed by the blockchain (and really once they are sent to the network) if a person makes a mistake or is scammed then they are simply out of luck. I think that a large amount of bitcoin related thefts have more to do with social engineering and less about security. Apple likely wants to tread lightly before allowing people to download an app that could potentially hold thousands of dollars of a user's money that could be stolen and would be no way to reverse a theft.

Thanks for the explation. Funny, I am unhappy with some of the apps I buy, some don't work well or at all, albeit rarely. I never even get a reply. I think apps should come with a 1 hr trial or the like.

A 1 hour trial would be an interesting way to do things.

I know that a lot of games on iTunes app store have both free (paid for via ads) and paid versions.

I would suggest checking the reviews prior to buying a paid app, especially when it is not from a larger dev.
bitcoincal

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:10:56 AM

After installing the cydia app I'm having trouble displaying the app on my home screen.

1CuWECCUQwkmQTpJdXd6Ga5tXKoJ5f8tPb
unexecuted

Activity: 175
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:32:04 AM

I'd just like to remind everyone that any rouge app you install may steal your bitcoins, install apps with caution (bitcoin related or not)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 10:08:18 AM

I'd just like to remind everyone that any rouge app you install may steal your bitcoins, install apps with caution (bitcoin related or not)

thats it.

SomethingElse

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Looking for the next big thing

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:56:39 PM

In a few years from now, I think these apps will be more popular. Really, the future of bitcoin is on mobile.  Without mobile apps, I wouldn't invest because then bitcoin would be more like gold and not dollars.

NEM
Sniar

Activity: 560

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:38:38 PM

Don't jailbreak your iphone if you want it to be secure...

From where I came from , most people has jailbreak as they wouldn't want to spend money on apps
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:41:05 PM

I think this is what apple was so concerned about when they prevented bitcoin related apps from being sold/downloaded from the app store previously

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
makebitcoin

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:46:38 PM

soooo 2013

but yeah, good news for you folks who do use apple and bitcoin in general. did they give a reason and to their change of heart ??

Apple has great products actually, it's just that they are uber expensive. I loved my iPhone when I had one and I've used Macs from other people.
The OS is great, it's just the hardware that is way too expensive.
ShakyhandsBTCer

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:35:45 PM

soooo 2013

Apple has great products actually, it's just that they are uber expensive. I loved my iPhone when I had one and I've used Macs from other people.

I would say that they are expensive but they are worth the added price you pay. In terms of quality they are cheaper.
NotAtOld

Activity: 200

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 08:37:19 AM

This is the perfect beginners wallet. What I like most is that you can sweep private keys. I normally hand out prefilled paper wallets when explaining bitcoin.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 08:53:40 AM

After apple "bans" bitcoin and caused all sorts of drama, now they support it?

I remember several users pledged to destroy their iphones and recorded it when apple initially banned the use of bitcoin apps. Funny stuff.

ClutchThese

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 11:17:57 AM

After apple "bans" bitcoin and caused all sorts of drama, now they support it?

I remember several users pledged to destroy their iphones and recorded it when apple initially banned the use of bitcoin apps. Funny stuff.

There was no regulation for bitcoin. Apple was doing what they had to do to protect themselves. Living is the past and faulting someone for not accepting bitcoin earlier isn't going to help expand Bitcoin into what we want it to be. Now that Apple is allowing bitcoin into their store, why not give praise where it's due? It was a smart decision and everyone will benefit from it.

Signature for Rent - PM if Interested
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 11:46:50 AM

There was no regulation for bitcoin. Apple was doing what they had to do to protect themselves. Living is the past and faulting someone for not accepting bitcoin earlier isn't going to help expand Bitcoin into what we want it to be. Now that Apple is allowing bitcoin into their store, why not give praise where it's due? It was a smart decision and everyone will benefit from it.

Ok, so why don't they "protect themselves" again? Nothing has changed for bitcoin since their first ban. I don't believe they even gave users even a few days notice before plucking the apps. And now, they did a complete 180 to support bitcoin again. I'm pretty sure they're accepting bitcoin again is because the backlash that they didn't expect, and this can be seen as a "feature" that will attract bitcoin supporters. It's a business and self-interest decision, but I doubt they could care less about the actual bitcoin.

Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 11:57:03 AM

coinjar and coinpocket have been readded

whats taking blockchain so long? no word they have even resubmitted

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
LeMiner

Activity: 139

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 02:03:14 PM

Extremely annoying indeed. Would love a update on this.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 03:48:18 PM

coinjar and coinpocket have been readded

I believe the CEO said that blockchain.info was re-submitted right?   Or did he say that they were planning on re-submitting to Apple?   This was like the same day that the Apple announcement was made...
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 03:53:46 PM

soooo 2013

You should hit their refurbished store. I buy Macs and portable devices from there all the time. They are usually returned items that they can't sell as new. When I bought my iMac it came in the same box and had all the same acessories. It just cost me a lot less. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: