Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:35:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][GRE] GreenCoin | On Bittrex now!  (Read 83604 times)
ncsupanda (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 07:38:47 PM
Last edit: June 08, 2014, 07:52:08 PM by ncsupanda

https://www.coinader.com/?cur=GRE&ccur=BTC

Starting to get a decent market going. Pools are running well, and more are on the way (including a P2P, but that takes time to edit).

Thanks for everyones support! Currently at 178 MH/s!

Edit: 190 MH/s!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
IMJim
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 09:12:41 PM

Were you able to get more than 1 controller connecting IMJim?

No bud, never did get a second going.  Thanks to you though, I was able to do some solo mining with one of them and got some early coins:-)
Freenhult

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

★ BitClave ICO. Join NOW ★

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 10:07:41 PM

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping you'd get in early :/ You should keep trying to get it setup for solo mining that way you can do it in the future if you want.

ncsupanda (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 11:14:43 PM

Third pool added:

http://altcoinpools.org/gre/public/index.php

Hovering around 220 MH/s Smiley
ncsupanda (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 12:42:14 AM

If you are reading this, please hop in a pool - whichever has the least hashrate. That will help everyone associated with GreenCoin in the long run. Thanks all!

Oh, and 286 MH/s.
Freenhult

Activity: 190

★ BitClave ICO. Join NOW ★

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 02:07:56 AM

If you are reading this, please hop in a pool - whichever has the least hashrate. That will help everyone associated with GreenCoin in the long run. Thanks all!

Oh, and 286 MH/s.

Congrats!

Nthused
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:15:59 AM

Oh, and 286 MH/s.

I'm actually quite surprised at the Net Hashrate.
ncsupanda (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 11:42:46 AM

Oh, and 286 MH/s.

I'm actually quite surprised at the Net Hashrate.

We'll take that as a compliment Smiley Hopefully this shows you the amount of work that we are doing to ensure GreenCoin truly influences / reduces the Carbon footprint. Good luck!
CoinBounties

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:16:53 PM

GreenCoin bounties are now updated on:
biodieselchris

Activity: 579
Merit: 500

CoinQuacker

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 08:42:27 PM

The GreenCoin network is officially alive! After yesterday's payout, a greencoin is worth 2.6 mg CO2 (about 1/10th of an ounce). It'll be fun to watch this number grow over time!

If you wanted to offset 1 gallon of gas burned (9 kg), you'd need to buy 3,461,000 greencoins. We're not quite there yet on supply Tongue ... so please consider signing your renewable system up with GreenCoin: www.grcoin.com/contact

Vitalogy

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:25:46 PM

From my previous posts you already know that I'm skeptical. I may be harsh but there is so many scams in this world there is no way easy to trust people. Even big projects, well organized seem to fails. I got scammed by ShareXcoin, something I would never imagined. The dev has all my trust, I promoted the business and all...

Anyway,
I'm skeptical but I really try to understand your project.

If I understand correctly, you try to be a kind of market carbon. Where people who lower their carbon emission get money (GreenCoin). But unlike the market carbon, pullutant people also get a reward (mining rigs dig GreenCoin even if they produce carbon because they use lot of electricity. Scrypt consuming more electricity than other popular algo.). Philosophically, I think it make no sense to pollute to reward environmentalists.

But this is not the biggest issue I have. If we talk strictly economics...

So we have miners who receive lot of coins that they will probably want to sell for bitcoins.
We have environmentalists that receive free coins, they will also probably want to sell for bitcoins.

That make a lot of people wanting to sell a lot of GreenCoins!
However, what are the incitatives to buy GreenCoins? If no one has reason to buy them, the price will fall. And soon, no one will want to buy the coin even at 1 Satoshi.

Maybe there is something that I don't understand?  Huh
ncsupanda (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:35:25 PM

From my previous posts you already know that I'm skeptical. I may be harsh but there is so many scams in this world there is no way easy to trust people. Even big projects, well organized seem to fails. I got scammed by ShareXcoin, something I would never imagined. The dev has all my trust, I promoted the business and all...

Anyway,

If I understand correctly, you try to be a kind of market carbon. Where people who lower their carbon emission get money (GreenCoin). But unlike the market carbon, pullutant people also get a reward (mining rigs dig GreenCoin even if they produce carbon because they use lot of electricity. Scrypt consuming more electricity than other popular algo.). Philosophically, I think it make no sense to pollute to reward environmentalists.

So we have miners who receive lot of coins that they will probably want to sell for bitcoins.
We have environmentalists that receive free coins, they will also probably want to sell for bitcoins.

However, what are the incitatives to buy GreenCoins? If no one has reason to buy them, the price will fall. And soon, no one will want to buy the coin even at 1 Satoshi.

With Scrypt ASICs coming out, I don't believe that mining Scrypt consumes more electricity than other coins - in fact, I think that argument is a bit of a moot point since it doesn't at all effect what we're trying to accomplish on a big enough scale.

Ultimately, you buy GreenCoin in order to offset your Carbon footprint. You make a long flight, and you buy the equivalent Carbon amount in GreenCoin. Don't imagine it as buying GreenCoin - think of it as buying and selling Carbon. That's the aim. BioDieselChris knows more about this, and I'll point him here.
biodieselchris

Activity: 579
Merit: 500

CoinQuacker

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 11:13:41 PM

Anyway,

I'm sorry you've been scammed in the past. I lost 6.5 BTC in MtGox so I certainly feel your pain. We are going to great lengths to develop a reputation as being trust-worthy, responsive to the community, and transparent on the operation of the coin. I hope that we come to deserve your trust in the future.

These are good questions and I spent quite a long time (while searching for a dev guru like ncsupanda) thinking about how the whole ecosystem would work. At some level, you make predictions and then you just have to pull the trigger and put it out there and see how the market takes it. In business this is called user testing and the benefit in most businesses is you can react to your user feedback and change the product. This is much more difficult with crypto's because you have to fork. But having said that, here are some comments in response to your concerns:

Scrypt:
We chose scrypt for a couple reasons. First, to ncsupanda's point, scrypt asic mining will reduce power consumption considerably for mining in the future. The second reason it has a good, stable history.

As to the power problem: The amount of mining ultimately would be fairly miniscule to the scale of the problem at hand. Global CO2 emissions are clocking over 31 GT annually. Let's take a look at bitcoin: obviously considered to be power-hog, but it's only 0.03% of the grid (I've read this elsewhere, if there is a better number, let me know). Electric power generation contributes 25% of the total global CO2 emissions, so 0.0003 * 0.25 * 31 GT = 2.3 MT of annual CO2 emissions coming from bitcoin's existence, or 0.0075% of all CO2 emissions. Now, we are all hopeful greencoin will become a great coin, and even if it did, I doubt it would be using substantially more power than bitcoin. If greencoin was capable of onlining green energy to even a 1% reduction in global electric power emissions, it means the coin reduces 33X more carbon than is produced by miners. At a 10% global reduction, it's over 300X and so on. Additionally, miners have an incentive to go green on their rigs because they get mined coins AND produced coins. Bitcoin doesn't offer this additional incentive. This is all before you even begin to account for the trade-offs that might actually work in cryptos' favor as an alternative payment system, for example, the energy needed to send payments in more traditional banking ways also uses power (servers, etc), and bitcoin might actually be net "greener."

GreenCoin Market:
Ultimately the demand comes from people who otherwise cannot get coins from either mining or producing (or if the latter folks want more). Since GreenCoin is a calculated carbon offset, if you wanted to make your lifestyle carbon neutral or net negative even, GreenCoin essentially gives you a mechanism to do that. For example if you wanted to offset the average American annual per capita emissions of ~17 MT (~1.5 MT per month) you could purchase 1.5 MT of greencoin per month.

For me personally I like to think that something along these lines really needs to be possible. I fly around a lot for work and vacations, and know that a cross country (US) flight is easily 200 kg CO2 per passenger. My solar panels only make about 8 kg a day at their best, so I can never offset my lifestyle on my own. But if I can buy this from other folks that produce much more than me, that would be awesome. This is what greencoin is designed to effectuate.

I hope that helps a little and I'm glad your at least interested in the concept enough to ask. We welcome other comments, feedback and questions from others as this project matures.

prdomain

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 11:14:47 PM

https://www.allcoin.com/trade/gre_btc

GRE(GoldReserve )

Huh

ncsupanda (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 11:25:37 PM
Last edit: June 10, 2014, 01:14:21 AM by ncsupanda

We announced first. I'm not worried if we don't get listed on Allcoin - it would be fantastic - but this project is meant to far outlive something such as a competitor coin. We welcome GoldReserve, and want to remain open to all other coins.
Vitalogy

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:16:04 AM

Thank you for your replies.
I like to think that I take care of my environment, but I'm not perfect. I mean, I can probably do more. I started to get interested to cryptocurrency in december 2013, started to mine in february 2014. Somehow, mining make me feel a little guilty. Spending that much energy for something that it is not essential at all. Fortunatly where I live our main source of electricity is the hydro-electricity. So I think I don't totaly destroy this planet.  Smiley

Today I've actually started to mine GreenCoin. To be honest, I mine this coin only for the profit. Hence my worries about the number of buyers.

I hope your are right when you think that people want to offset their carbon footprint. I understand that big corporations want to offset their carbon footprint by buying credit on the carbon market. They receive the peers pressure from their consumers. They want to be seen as a good citizen. But that a single person want that? I'm not sure. But as long as that I do not lose money with this, I'm glad to be part of the test.  Wink

You know, I would not mind to be wrong... but rich! hehe
ncsupanda (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:15:48 AM

I like to think that I take care of my environment, but I'm not perfect. I mean, I can probably do more. I started to get interested to cryptocurrency in december 2013, started to mine in february 2014. Somehow, mining make me feel a little guilty. Spending that much energy for something that it is not essential at all. Fortunatly where I live our main source of electricity is the hydro-electricity. So I think I don't totaly destroy this planet.  Smiley

Today I've actually started to mine GreenCoin. To be honest, I mine this coin only for the profit. Hence my worries about the number of buyers.

I hope your are right when you think that people want to offset their carbon footprint. I understand that big corporations want to offset their carbon footprint by buying credit on the carbon market. They receive the peers pressure from their consumers. They want to be seen as a good citizen. But that a single person want that? I'm not sure. But as long as that I do not lose money with this, I'm glad to be part of the test.  Wink

Well, you mention big corporations, and we hope to have them on board! GreenCoin can help make the carbon market tangible - if that makes sense.

Thank you for choosing to be a part of GreenCoin! We are so thankful that you're here, and know that we are working hard to ensure GreenCoin gets to where we want.
gerdab

Activity: 686
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:29:35 AM

I'm producer and greenpeace member, i'll pm u my adress to have 1,5 M Grin
IMJim
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:33:55 AM

Well, you mention big corporations, and we hope to have them on board! GreenCoin can help make the carbon market tangible - if that makes sense.

Thank you for choosing to be a part of GreenCoin! We are so thankful that you're here, and know that we are working hard to ensure GreenCoin gets to where we want.

Ya know, I just have to say as somenee who lurks in many threads on this forum......this thread since it started has been a breath of fresh air!  

There is so much crap and rudeness from people in the crypto community, I find myself appreciating the kind people the efforts from this dev team are attracting.  

This entire thread has been a real pleasure to follow so far, hopefully this community that is forming will stay that way!!
chengze

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 01:34:01 AM

https://www.coinader.com/?cur=GRE&ccur=BTC

Starting to get a decent market going. Pools are running well, and more are on the way (including a P2P, but that takes time to edit).

Thanks for everyones support! Currently at 178 MH/s!

Edit: 190 MH/s!
I am also a newbie,
can I get some coins from dev?

QORA | 2ND GEN | NEW SOURCE CODE | QcDcSuDvnitLZisM83VYzy1JZnLFHwLPMb
Get Daily Free SignatureCoins.T9uF2XG3ZAkwtA5fAUF53ymHxYXfFL4VEy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: