Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:28:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Toss - Flip a coin and win double your entry!  (Read 17063 times)
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 02:59:17 AM

Lost 10 times in a row. That's not very likely, so I'm not sure how fair this is.

Were you ID 2?

That user looks like it's just hit refresh over and over again instead of starting each game from the start.

Wait, does that somehow let you play with the same result over and over?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Alex Beckenham (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 03:07:04 AM

Lost 10 times in a row. That's not very likely, so I'm not sure how fair this is.

Were you ID 2?

That user looks like it's just hit refresh over and over again instead of starting each game from the start.

No, it doesn't... refreshing is pointless... I can however see it in the logs.
It's the only thing I can see that even remotely looks like 10 losses in a row.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 03:10:35 AM

Were you ID 2?

No, it doesn't... refreshing is pointless... I can however see it in the logs.
It's the only thing I can see that even remotely looks like 10 losses in a row.

Ah, of course he could have gone out for a smoke and someone else played a few in between.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 03:12:05 AM

Repaying losses seems extremely generous to me, but you should make sure you don't give others the idea that they can freeroll you.

bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 03:58:13 AM

...I'll send you back 240...

There are few like you doood!! My respect for you went way up!  Grin

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
Alex Beckenham (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 04:05:01 AM

Thanks for the kind words.

There will absolutely be no other refunds from this point.

sat0pi: send me a new address if you like.

sat0pi

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 05:50:27 AM

doood, that's very generous of you... I can assure you I did in fact lose 11 times in a row though, I can send you a screenshot of my client if you want. Tongue

I was wondering if it was because I was using the same address every time and it was counting as the same session or something, but I didn't try a different address to see if that mattered... I am not sure what my id was. If you aren't seeing anything else other than that as 10 losses in a row though, that must be me.

14GjvZk1GqqAjKQNaJdur3jL2PzjdH3crf is a new address if you feel like being so kind as to refund me. I understand if you do not want to, though... it is your business after all. Just seemed strange that I would lose that many times in a row which is a sub 1% chance. Surely I can't be that "lucky", but who knows. Tongue

On a side note, the site is done really well... would love to see the source code.  Grin

Thanks,
sat0pi
Alex Beckenham (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 05:59:49 AM

240 sent...

Deposit addresses are definitely for one-time use. You should be getting a new one each time you play.

I'll write a warning about that on the site...

sat0pi

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 06:06:39 AM

240 sent...

Deposit addresses are definitely for one-time use. You should be getting a new one each time you play.

I'll write a warning about that on the site...

Awesome. Very respectable, doood... thanks so much! Not seeing the 240 in my client yet, but I'm sure it will appear soon enough. I'll let you know when I receive it just to confirm. Will definitely try out your site again more responsibly (and correctly) later on.

Thanks,
sat0pi
Alex Beckenham (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 06:22:40 AM

Not seeing the 240 in my client yet

The payment is showing in my client as 0/offline? -240.00

It'll get to you eventually.

sat0pi

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 06:30:55 AM

That's strange... Wonder if that is a problem on my end or yours. I do have an abnormally low number of connections at the moment (only 8, I usually have like 30+). Ah well, it'll make it through as you say. Never seen that message before though. Anyone more knowledgeable than I care to share what it means?

EDIT: Never mind... Did some Googling and figured out what it was. I think it's an issue on your end doood, but it should resolve itself eventually.

EDIT 2: Showing in my client as 0/unconfirmed... All should be well. Thanks again doood. bitcoin = best community ever.
Alex Beckenham (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 07:12:04 AM

That's strange... Wonder if that is a problem on my end or yours. I do have an abnormally low number of connections at the moment (only 8, I usually have like 30+). Ah well, it'll make it through as you say. Never seen that message before though. Anyone more knowledgeable than I care to share what it means?

EDIT: Never mind... Did some Googling and figured out what it was. I think it's an issue on your end doood, but it should resolve itself eventually.

EDIT 2: Showing in my client as 0/unconfirmed... All should be well. Thanks again doood. bitcoin = best community ever.

Yeah straight after my last post, I restarted my client and it was then listed as 0/unconfirmed... so I guess the 'offline' error was on my end.

Alex Beckenham (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 07:20:24 AM

...another flip-a-coin like game (http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3862.0), it could even be the some guy with a new forum account...

I don't own that one by the way. The reason I decided it'd be worth copying the concept is that I don't like the way they make you wait a million years between paying and playing. I prefer the long wait to be on the other end of the game.

randomguy7

Activity: 527

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 11:38:45 AM

Thats basically a good idea, but I think it's possible to cheat:
As far as I know, it's possible (with some effort) to undo the spendings with 0 confirmations (I forgot about the name of that attack and how it's done in detail). You delay the payout of winnings but people could still cheat you by undoing the payments for the games they lost.
Alex Beckenham (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 11:48:08 AM

Thats basically a good idea, but I think it's possible to cheat:
As far as I know, it's possible (with some effort) to undo the spendings with 0 confirmations (I forgot about the name of that attack and how it's done in detail). You delay the payout of winnings but people could still cheat you by undoing the payments for the games they lost.

I'd be interested to hear about that type of attack. I think even mybitcoin.com 'accepts' payments on 0/unconfirmed and sends postback data to merchants immediately.

randomguy7

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 12:13:46 PM

I don't find the source (I read about it somewhere here in the forum) but I think it works like this:
The attacker has to mine for a valid block for this. When he found one, he must not yet submit it to the network. He sends you the coins and plays on your site. When he won, he's fine, no need to perform the attack (wouldn't be possible as you delay the payouts). When he lost, he's using the block he already found and adds a transaction to it to send the coins you currently 'have' with 0 confirmations to another address (one controlled by the attacker). He then submits the block to the net. Your coins are gone.

This of course requires that nobody else finds a block while the attack is performed, but there's a very good propability for this to not happen (I assume playing a bet on your site doesn't require much time, maybe not even a minute).
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 02:47:39 PM

I don't find the source (I read about it somewhere here in the forum) but I think it works like this:
The attacker has to mine for a valid block for this. When he found one, he must not yet submit it to the network. He sends you the coins and plays on your site. When he won, he's fine, no need to perform the attack (wouldn't be possible as you delay the payouts). When he lost, he's using the block he already found and adds a transaction to it to send the coins you currently 'have' with 0 confirmations to another address (one controlled by the attacker). He then submits the block to the net. Your coins are gone.

This of course requires that nobody else finds a block while the attack is performed, but there's a very good propability for this to not happen (I assume playing a bet on your site doesn't require much time, maybe not even a minute).

You can't use coins from a generate tx for 120 blocks.

randomguy7

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 03:08:12 PM

You can't use coins from a generate tx for 120 blocks.

I know but thats not necessary, the coins used to play aren't those which are generated by the found block, they're just some coins. The block is only used to undo the transaction used to send coins to the game owner. This works because the bet will be already played before somebody else can calculate the transaction into the blockchain (at least most of the times).

edit: typos removed
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 03:27:29 PM

That would be the Finney attack. And yes, it's a valid concern.

lulzplzkthx

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 07:21:45 PM

Played twice, won twice.
I've played Double Trouble at least 10 times and lost all but once.

Thus, my experiences are Bitcoin Toss is fair, and I will continue to use it..

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: