Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:46:23 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Mining  (Read 264661 times)
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2790

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 01:36:00 AM

How do I get everything set up for solo mining? I have the daemon running already, block chain up to date, etc.
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1115

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 01:40:08 AM

How do I get everything set up for solo mining? I have the daemon running already, block chain up to date, etc.

Code:
start_mining 46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8aHYjA3jk3o1Bv16em 3

I think that is the dev donation address, and the 3 at the end represents the number of threads to use. So you just enter that command into the daemon, and change the address and number of threads to use (if you want).
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 02:16:41 AM

If you are solo mining with just your cpu and are using the command line wallet then you can mine with the wallet.  The command is start_mining

You can choose the # of threads, for example 3, using: start_mining 3

To see what your hashrate is, in the daemon use the command: show_hr
To stop the display of the hashrate use: hide_hr
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 02:18:50 AM

If you are solo mining with just your cpu and are using the command line wallet then you can mine with the wallet.  The command is start_mining

You can choose the # of threads, for example 3, using: start_mining 3

To see what your hashrate is, in the daemon use the command: show_hr
To stop the display of the hashrate use: hide_hr

Best choice for number of threads is your L3 cache size divided by 2 MB. So for example 4770k has an 8 MB cache so 4 is the best number of threads. A slightly smaller number is better if you want to reduce impact on computer performance (and quiet the CPU fan if that becomes an issue).

If you don't know then one less than your number of cores is a decent choice.
infofront
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 03:09:04 AM

Sorry I didn't explain my situation in more detail. I'm already GPU mining on a few machines with Claymore's software, and CPU mining with Wolf's miner.
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 03:10:57 AM

Sorry I didn't explain my situation in more detail. I'm already GPU mining on a few machines with Claymore's software, and CPU mining with Wolf's miner.

I think you're looking for this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=735738.0
infofront
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 03:22:24 AM

Thanks. It looks like that's what I need!
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 04:38:36 AM

This is a detailed guide to setup cloud miners (cpu+gpu) on Amazon EC2. I put together this guide for user oda.krell, who was kind enough to give me a very nice tip for it, so thanks should also go to oda.krell.

OK,
So here goes (assuming you have your ec2 account all set up and linked to credit card):

<snip>Nice instructions</snip>

Let me know if you have any questions or anything. And if you want to repost anywhere, I don't mind. Good luck Smiley

What about solo-mining on these instances?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 04:52:37 AM

This is a detailed guide to setup cloud miners (cpu+gpu) on Amazon EC2. I put together this guide for user oda.krell, who was kind enough to give me a very nice tip for it, so thanks should also go to oda.krell.

OK,
So here goes (assuming you have your ec2 account all set up and linked to credit card):

<snip>Nice instructions</snip>

Let me know if you have any questions or anything. And if you want to repost anywhere, I don't mind. Good luck Smiley

Someone else actually already PMed me about this. In order to solo mine (with gpu), you need access to a running/synced instance of bitmonerod, whether that is on the same or another amazon instance or your home computer or somewhere else, and then you need this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=735738.0

It's seems a bit trickier, and it's not something I've done myself, but the instructions at above link seem pretty clear. Or I guess you can run your own cryptonight-nodejs pool instance somewhere, but I think that is even much more trickier than just running stratum proxy.

Edit: While not quite as good as solo mining, you can also find a list of pools here: http://minexmr.com/pools.html
Scroll down to bottom graph to find smallish pools that are much less likely to be attacked.
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 04:53:14 AM

Maybe just point to a small pool instead, because I am unaware of how to solo mine with wolf0's or yam's miners.

The bitmonerod (daemon itself) miner will mine solo, but it is quite a bit slower than the alternatives.

May I suggest this pool: http://cryptograben.com/pool/monero-xmr/ <-- It is closing on 9-25 but it is still working now. I tried it about a week or so ago. (I prefer http://monero.crypto-pool.fr/ because I need to see some type of ROI on my EC2 costs)
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 04:57:00 AM

Maybe just point to a small pool instead, because I am unaware of how to solo mine with wolf0's or yam's miners.

The bitmonerod (daemon itself) miner will mine solo, but it is quite a bit slower than the alternatives.

May I suggest this pool: http://cryptograben.com/pool/monero-xmr/ <-- It is closing on 9-25 but it is still working now. I tried it about a week or so ago. (I prefer http://monero.crypto-pool.fr/ because I need to see some type of ROI on my EC2 costs)

One of the smallest (and coolest) pools: http://monero.coolmining.club/
HegemoOn (freenode IRC nick of pool owner) is also a really big monero supporter, and runs open bitmonerod nodes that can be connected to by anyone to query for blockchain info and stuff.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 05:01:27 AM

Someone else actually already PMed me about this. In order to solo mine (with gpu), you need access to a running/synced instance of bitmonerod, whether that is on the same or another amazon instance or your home computer or somewhere else, and then you need this:

It's seems a bit trickier, and it's not something I've done myself, but the instructions at above link seem pretty clear. Or I guess you can run your own cryptonight-nodejs pool instance somewhere, but I think that is even much more trickier than just running stratum proxy.

Edit: While not quite as good as solo mining, you can also find a list of pools here: http://minexmr.com/pools.html
Scroll down to bottom graph to find smallish pools that are much less likely to be attacked.

Ah, thanks. Figured it'd involve something like that...

Thanks for the pool-list. Now which small pools are most likely to be the more DDoS resistant?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:26:29 AM

Ah, thanks. Figured it'd involve something like that...
Thanks for the pool-list. Now which small pools are most likely to be the more DDoS resistant?

No pool is DDoS proof but a small pool is less likely to be attacked (unless the attacker have something against that pool).
Oscilson

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:32:12 AM

3) For Instance Type, select GPU instances g2.2xlarge, click next and set your maximum price (kind of expensive now, need to do like $0.09 per hour, used to be more like $0.06).

What is the hash rate of this setup? I just want to know if it is possible to make profit from AWS etc. It seems the hash rate of XMR is too high considering the price is so low.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:35:36 AM

3) For Instance Type, select GPU instances g2.2xlarge, click next and set your maximum price (kind of expensive now, need to do like $0.09 per hour, used to be more like $0.06).

What is the hash rate of this setup? I just want to know if it is possible to make profit from AWS etc. It seems the hash rate of XMR is too high considering the price is so low.

You will probably lose a little at current prices. The reason to do this is to secure the network with honest miners, or if you want to get more XMR while paying in fiat (credit card). If you want to make a profit mining you need to use your own gear (or hope the price goes up).

5w00p

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 08:54:56 AM

I am getting 350 h/s from CPU and ~300 h/s from GPU so combined it is about 650 h/s.

GPU hashrate is not as consistent as the CPU, so delivered hashrate varies a bit.

Not bad for ~7.5 cents an hour, but "profitable" is a relative term, depending on what pool you mine on, luck, & when you sell the Monero, eh?
Oscilson

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 09:17:20 AM

I am getting 350 h/s from CPU and ~300 h/s from GPU so combined it is about 650 h/s.

GPU hashrate is not as consistent as the CPU, so delivered hashrate varies a bit.

Not bad for ~7.5 cents an hour, but "profitable" is a relative term, depending on what pool you mine on, luck, & when you sell the Monero, eh?

If we assume the electricity price is $0.075 per kWh, that is equivalent to 1000W for 650h/s. For AMD GPU, that is about 500h/s per 130W, or 3800h/s per 1000W. AWS is not so efficient.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 09:21:01 AM

If we assume the electricity price is $0.075 per kWh, that is equivalent to 1000W for 650h/s. For AMD GPU, that is about 500h/s per 130W, or 3800h/s per 1000W. AWS is not so efficient.

You haven't factored in the price of the hardware at all.

In general though, it is not the most efficient way to mine long term, but a good way to get more capacity on short notice without an up front hardware investment, setup, etc.

5w00p

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 09:24:27 AM

Just go and pick some Xeon's off of the tree in your backyard, or Opteron's in the front.

Or GPU's from down on the farm.

Tongue
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:35:01 AM

Complete mining newbie reporting in, with some questions.

Decided to dabble in xmr mining a bit, to support the network, and put any hypothetical earnings into the dev address, as per smooth's suggestion. Getting started on Amazon's EC2 as well, but also wanted to see if I can put my Macbook to use... here's the result:

I might as well turn it off, right? I'm adding about 40 H/s, which is for all practical purposes negligible, correct?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  

Jump to: