Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:14:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: how should coin developers be remunerated?  (Read 4643 times)
coinsolidation (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 11:04:31 AM

The community appears to have moved towards screaming scam every time they see the potential for a coin developer to make some money on a coin they created, released, and supported.

So as a community, what method of remuneration would you be happy with?

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 11:05:06 AM

None

~CfA~

coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 11:12:23 AM

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 01:05:23 PM

Maybe a system that doesn't reward dumping straight away. Some sort of thing like stock options, if possible.

Something that incentivises the devs to actually develop after the launch.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 01:30:16 PM

The community appears to have moved towards screaming scam every time they see the potential for a coin developer to make some money on a coin they created, released, and supported.

Its more there arent many actual developers in these coins  Shocked
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 01:46:32 PM

0.125% hard coded to address that can be redeemed immediately

0.125% hard coded to address that can't be redeemed for at least 6 months after genesis block.

Anyone who says coin devs should not be vested in their coin seem to have no concept on how.... well.... anything works Wink 

Devs having a pump and dump mentality are a HUGE part of the problem. If they have an incentive to stick around, maybe they will.
bitcoinreactor

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 01:54:36 PM

donations only.

BTC: 17CHqn3XE3Waf7Qfkm9p2MQE1VgB8gVbG4
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 02:01:23 PM

0.125% hard coded to address that can be redeemed immediately

0.125% hard coded to address that can't be redeemed for at least 6 months after genesis block.

Anyone who says coin devs should not be vested in their coin seem to have no concept on how.... well.... anything works Wink 

Devs having a pump and dump mentality are a HUGE part of the problem. If they have an incentive to stick around, maybe they will.

I was thinking along these lines too.. this seems reasonable, a small block reward that goes to a development pool. The addition of half locked seems good too.

Thank you for your input.

donations only.

I'd love to agree, but in practise this doesn't work - check the donation address on some of your favourite bitcoin software, almost every one I've ever checked has been 0.

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 02:22:46 PM

I'd love to agree, but in practise this doesn't work - check the donation address on some of your favourite bitcoin software, almost every one I've ever checked has been 0.

It is surprising how many addresses I've checked and seen either zero or a few cents USD as the amount received.

That's why multibit started skimming transaction fees, haha.

Actually, there's an idea. Transaction fees or part of them anyway, going to the devs. Then if people actually are using the coin they get some money.
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 02:38:29 PM

It is surprising how many addresses I've checked and seen either zero or a few cents USD as the amount received.

That's why multibit started skimming transaction fees, haha.

Actually, there's an idea. Transaction fees or part of them anyway, going to the devs. Then if people actually are using the coin they get some money.

Another good idea.

Perhaps if it started as 50% of transaction fees, then halved each time the block halved such that miners gradually transitioned over to fees, and the developers away from fees.

The combination of that and the aforementioned % per block could work wonderfully together.

cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 02:42:46 PM

block tax 1% of every block. If they stop working on the coin it's forked and that tax is cut off or pushed to an address of a new developer that takes over and works on the coin.

premines and instamines need to be stopped at once.

coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 02:51:27 PM

block tax 1% of every block. If they stop working on the coin it's forked and that tax is cut off or pushed to an address of a new developer that takes over and works on the coin.

As somebody who's about to implement all of the ideas from these threads I feel an idiot saying it, but 1% is too high. 0.25% (0.125% + 0.125% locked) as mentioned before is plenty.

Vivisector999

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:27:20 PM

Well with a block tax, you really wouldn't need to lock half of it, since it's not a lump sum payment.  But yeah a block tax of 0.5% or less would totally work as well. 

But personally I think the best idea so far has been the Transaction fee tax.  It is a very small payment, and the dev only gets paid if the coin goes big and is being used.  If the dev can really push the coin, they could make a fortune (More than they are now with a big premine), but without alot of work, or if they leave early and let the coin die, they basically make nothing.

I know that would get me pounding the pavement trying to get vendors/exchanges to accept your coin. 

Check out AC3  @ https://ac3.io/
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 03:34:21 PM

0.125% of block reward and a halving transaction tax would do it.

Thanks for your input guys, although please do share more if you have it.

Please also comment on my other open thread if you can https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=656240.msg7380974#msg7380974

Instamatic

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:16:46 PM

As somebody who's about to implement all of the ideas from these threads I feel an idiot saying it, but 1% is too high. 0.25% (0.125% + 0.125% locked) as mentioned before is plenty.

Plenty of pool sites charge a 1% fee to mine through their site/stratum.  Perhaps 1% is too high for a developer but I do like the idea of a block tax because it incentivizes continued development and support.  If a developer initiated a block tax of 1% from onset we may see less pools jumping onboard until the difficulty rose to a point that solo mining was highly inefficient (which of course depends on the algo/miner hash rate/network hash rate/exchange rate). 
Japster

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:18:56 PM

With lashings.  Grin
Keyboard-Mash

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:53:45 PM

Cross post ..

Don't know if it's mentioned yet ..

Paid developers  Shocked

Yes we've already covered this in a different thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=656720

In short:
No premine, instamine, or IPO.
0.125% of the block reward as a tax to the development team
50% of transaction fees, halving 3 times (25%, 12.5%, 6.25%) then dropping to 0.

Many have suggested a higher % of block reward (1%), we'll confirm the actual amount if/when we get to a final specification. It will certainly be under 0.5% though.

Sure that could work. But it doesn't cover third party development, which will be the main driving force in cryptocurrency penetration in this year and the following .. and not just one centralized development team.

How can you keep them from becoming entirely closed source? Toward my point, how would you solve the problem of privatized GPU miners cornering markets? Take a look at BBR right now, over 50% of the coin is mined by Christian and Christian alone. Not all the hard-coded centralized developer fees in the world can stop that, and he's currently in a position where he would require infinite money to open source or even distribute his software.

What then?
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 08:04:23 PM

0.125% of block reward and a halving transaction tax would do it.

This cannot be done.

We are back to the original question.

PereguineBerty

Activity: 109
Merit: 35

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 08:16:08 PM

None

~CfA~

So devs shouldn't receive anything for their time, effort and innovation....?

You must be a miner.

~PB~
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 08:36:29 PM

So devs shouldn't receive anything for their time, effort and innovation....?

Any proposals as to how it can be done? We thought we had a reasonable approach, but we have had to abandon it

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: