Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:58:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Conference 2012- London 15-16 Sept | ANNOUNCEMENT sponsorship available!  (Read 60315 times)
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 03:14:25 PM

Excuse me, as one of the organisers (who is not involved with bitcoinica in any way) I take considerable offence to this, I and others (who are also not involved in the bitcoinica saga) have put a huge amount of time, effort, energy and our own funds into the organising of this event, and you want to ruin what is to be not just a great conference for everyone involved in bitcoin, but what is surely to be a historic event(700 people).

You'd cut off your own nose to spite your face? Attempt to ruin something for hundreds of other people (who have paid for tickets, accomadation and transport, and the number of small bitcoin startups who've already sponsored the event). Do you realise you would be doing nothing to further your own agenda by taking such a route, but only fucking the whole thing up for everyone else?

And what about the media, you think it wouldn't refect badly on bitcoin because that's what this conference is about, bitcoin and bringing it to the world, how do you think it would look to the rest of the world when they read (in the back of a paper for certain) about bitcoin conference ruined by a small group of protesters who lost their funds on a bitcoin service.

It will be about bitcoin being a wild west, a place for thieves, unreliable. You want that kind of media attention?

I'd thank you to stop your juvenile talk of protests and keep anything bitcoinica related off my thread.

Cross-referenced quote from: BitBuster in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=97272.80

Quote from: disclaimer201 on Today at 02:27:27 PM

Since the conference will probably be co-sponsored by Intersango, this is not going to happen. And this why the conference will fall under a bad light because they cannot afford to lose sponsors I'm sure.

If as many expect, the Intersango trio are eventually proven to be liable/culpable, it could be argued that the whole conference was sponsored by thieves with stolen money.

BB.

Do you want to be offended? So be it. Cutting of ones own nose doesn't make a difference anymore if the rest of your body has been infected with terminal cancer. If I remember correctly, the majority of the people never voted for London to begin with! The organizers chose to ignore that because of pragmatic reasons months ago and I fear they will ignore it again for the same pragmatic reason. You will get no sympathy from me for your conference.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 03:26:59 PM

Sorry, I agree with Nefario here. Keep Bitcoinica issues out of Bitcoin Conference thread. They are completely off-topic.

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 03:30:37 PM

Sorry, I agree with Nefario here. Keep Bitcoinica issues out of Bitcoin Conference thread. They are completely off-topic.

+1, agreed

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
disclaimer201
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 03:36:27 PM

Are they really? Is this how you deal with criticism, marking it as off-topic? If Intersango is indeed a co-sponsor you will have to deal with the fact that people get upset.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 03:40:03 PM

I plan to go, but I'm a bit worried that the Bitcoinica fiasco may affect it.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:32:57 PM

Just because a few idiots stored too much with a website built in 4 days by a 17yo that was already hacked 3 times before this, doesn't mean they have the right to play butthurt and go on everybody's nerves everywhere.

It's getting ridiculous, get over it, as if your lynch mobbing uninvolved people will do anything productive.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:45:18 PM

guys, let's just have a nice conference, can we? There's awesome speakers coming and I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
sarpar

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:00:43 PM

Just because a few idiots stored too much with a website built in 4 days by a 17yo that was already hacked 3 times before this, doesn't mean they have the right to play butthurt and go on everybody's nerves everywhere.

It's getting ridiculous, get over it, as if your lynch mobbing uninvolved people will do anything productive.
Indeed ridiculous!

Just because you are financing your kindergarten summer festival by irresponsibly subjects who have loads of more important issues to work on than organizing musical chairs for you, doesn't mean you have the right to be miffed if your favourite kindergartner is asked to stay home.

...as if I am interested in having such despicable beings involved. btw.: your friends didn't show their productivity when needed.

I openly boycott the Bitcoinica Consultancy team or Intersango: Donald Norman, Patrick Strateman and Amir Taaki
cst

Activity: 110

The Cosmos doesn't care about you.

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:39:59 PM

guys, let's just have a nice conference, can we? There's awesome speakers coming and I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone.

Yeah! True dat.

Everyone else can come in just to tell them face to face how much they fucked up ;)

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:42:12 PM

Yeah! True dat.

Everyone else can come in just to tell them face to face how much they fucked up Wink

Yep. Personally, I'm gonna be wearing a horse mask when I speak. No one will ever guess it's me.

World

Activity: 743

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 09:58:36 PM

Yep. Personally, I'm gonna be wearing a horse mask when I speak. No one will ever guess it's me.
Grin

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
riX

Activity: 326
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:19:04 PM

Yeah! True dat.

Everyone else can come in just to tell them face to face how much they fucked up Wink

+1
^(my first +1 ever)

Let's just have a nice conference, I don't want to be disturbed by someones butt hurt whether it's justified or not, choose another time and place for that.

Sorry, I can't help you with your lost password.

PGP key: 0x9F31802C79642F25
disclaimer201
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:28:20 PM

Yeah! True dat.

+1
^(my first +1 ever)

Let's just have a nice conference, I don't want to be disturbed by someones butt hurt whether it's justified or not, choose another time and place for that.

That's exactly what I'd be worried about. Perhaps you like vivid discussions.
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 01:28:10 PM

I found a nice space for the hackathon:

LARC (London Action Resource Centre) has been confirmed and booked as the location for the pre-conference hackathon. They are a self-organised, non-hierarchical projects for radical social change with suitable facilities for a Bitcoin hackathon.

http://www.londonarc.org/

I've also added more information like accommodation and the address of the conference to the venue page:

http://www.bitcoin2012.com/venue
BitBuster

Activity: 101

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 03:36:58 PM

So despite key players definitely now being subject of at least one legal investigation, they are still allowed the priviledge of administrating the conference? What goes around comes around, the conference will be brought into disrepute over this.

BB.
genjix
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 05:59:27 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2012, 11:45:35 PM by genjix

So despite key players definitely now being subject of at least one legal investigation, they are still allowed the priviledge of administrating the conference? What goes around comes around, the conference will be brought into disrepute over this.

BB.

oh fuck off. Name me one instance where I lied, or conducted myself improperly. Point them to me. It was me who made public all the emails, released publically all the documents/agreements, released the sourcecode and pushed for communications from zhou's first announcement (everyone told me to be quiet). Your thinly veiled threat is pathetic and petty.

We should never have touched the funds in the first place.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 06:45:36 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2012, 07:26:40 PM by Transisto

BB.

oh fuck off. Name me one instance where I lied, or conducted myself improperly. Point them to me. It was me who made public all the emails*, released publically all the documents/agreements, released the sourcecode* and pushed for communications from zhou's first announcement (everyone told me to be quiet). Your thinly veiled threat is pathetic and petty.

Bitcoinica has gone into receivership and is being handled by the owners (Bitcoinica LP). We should never have touched the funds in the first place.
You disappeared at the worst of time for months, leaving thousand of creditors in the dark, then you come back with a 4 line reply claiming you've done nothing wrong and we should be grateful for these 2 things you claim you did ?

*That was all the emails ? Really ?

*Should we applaud you for releasing the source code ? (How did that help other than allowing the 40kBTC heist of users money?)
"We should never have touched the funds in the first place."
What has changed from the time you were processing refund to the time you released your mtGox password in the source code ?  
Being at 0% paid back, this is something I'd like a clear statement about.  

What will you do about the funds you already gave away Vs. those accurate claims who got nothing back ?

Ps: Did you just say "Fuck off" ? We were somehow expecting it, but wish you could have said it publicly much earlier.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 07:37:32 PM

Please move this off-topic discussion to the dozen other threads covering the situation.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 07:49:24 PM

Please move this off-topic discussion to the dozen other threads covering the situation.
When reading about the conference I tend to listen to what organizers says (Genjix) and reply accordingly.

So you claim the organizers involvement in Bitcoinica should not affect the conference ?  To each his opinion.

It seems like not everyone agree that Amir has handled the problem as he should have had and that a significant risk remain that the conference will be used as a tribune on this matter.
genjix
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 08:00:10 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2012, 02:57:41 AM by genjix

It seems like not everyone agree that Amir has handled the problem as he should have had and that there remain a significant risk that the the conference will be used as a tribune on this matter.

Transisto, before Bitcoinica, I had no problems with you and thought you a good person (I still do and don't blame you for being upset over it). But what should I have done differently? You do realise that I have no control over anything.

If I don't organise the conference, then it won't happen. It is my experience and knowledge of this opensource-world, conferences and organising other events that means I know how to create a conference. You're essentially saying that there should be no conference because Bitcoinica lost money and I was affiliated with Bitcoinica? That seems pointless. I'm essentially doing this for free anyway.

Bitcoinica is all in the hands of business people and lawyers now. The reason I took a long hiatus is because it was seriously effecting my mental health. Several people started to tell me to take time out, but I wouldn't listen to them. Eventually it got too much, and I took their advice. I would've been a broken person unable to do anything otherwise.

It did get pretty heavy at one point, but what carried me through was random emails/PMs (reddit, forum, irc) of kindness and support. I never had something like that happen in my life before and it was very touching. Like random strangers on the internet. That was something else. There was one guy even who we exchanged long emails back and forth.

For me tbh, I could care less about people like Roger Ver who have a lot of money lost because they have lots more. What really gets me are the people who sent messages like "help! I invested all my money and now i'm borrowing to survive." That's really soul crushing. money is just numbers and w/e. But when it hurts someone physically, that's totally unacceptable to me.

EDIT: My choice of words was poor:

I feel much more for the guy who has lost all of his already small net worth that is paying for his next meal and this month's housing than the guy who has lost a fraction of his already large net worth and has legal recourse available to him.

The absolute numbers don't mean much. It's the effect it has on the person's life.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: