Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:06:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrome Browser extension: MtGox trading bot  (Read 72509 times)
whydifficult

Activity: 287
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 10:53:04 PM

and I'm quite sure he didn't try to use MACD and simply "forgot" the signal line. His philosophy is instead: The simpler strategies tend to beat the more complex ones in the long run. Again, I can not judge whether this is a good or bad philosophy, but I like it Smiley

The signal–line crossovers in MACD may very well respond faster, but it will also generate more false signals.

But of course, it would be very nice to also have MACD indicators implemented in the bot so that the users can choose.
Maybe some day Smiley

It is true that EMA crossover is even simpler then MACD, but the bot currently does add a threshold which is also not in Goomboo's journal (I think). I'm don't know a lot about trading but I think MACD is considered an extremely simple indicator already.

Gekko a nodejs bitcoin trading bot!
Realtime Bitcoin Globe - visualizing all transactions and blocks
Tip jar (BTC): 1KyQdQ9ctjCrGjGRCWSBhPKcj5omy4gv5S

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lucko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:21:30 AM

Well it could be something for experimental section...
spazcoin

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:34:12 AM

Just a quick note on your bot, not sure if this is intentional or not, but whether you check or uncheck "disabled on start," when you close out of the browser and boot it up the bot is always disabled. Basically it's always disabled on start whether you check or uncheck that box.

You're right! There was some weirdness about this setting!
I've just uploaded a fixed version (v0.2.2.3)

I installed GoxTradingBotTobli v0.2.2.3 this morning (downloaded using Git Clone instead of downloading this time, to make it easier to update in the future) and I still see the same behavior still.  Enable the bot, save changes, close the browser, open the browser, and it's disabled again.  I'm using Chrome 27.0.1453.94. This week or weekend I'll try taking a look at the code.  ‘whydifficult’, maybe I’ll take a look at your gekko project as well.

I would also suggest that we try to put some unit testing around the components of this bot since there are several days between each buy/sell decision, which is a long time to wait to see whether everything's working correctly (and miss the market swings!).  I did a quick search for Javascript frameworks (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/300855/looking-for-a-better-javascript-unit-test-tool) it looks like Buster.js might be one to start with.
TobbeLino

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 10:04:23 AM

I installed GoxTradingBotTobli v0.2.2.3 this morning (downloaded using Git Clone instead of downloading this time, to make it easier to update in the future) and I still see the same behavior still.  Enable the bot, save changes, close the browser, open the browser, and it's disabled again.  I'm using Chrome 27.0.1453.94. This week or weekend I'll try taking a look at the code. 

Are you sure you're running the latest version? And you have the setting  "Disabled on start" unchecked?
I can't reproduce the problem with the latest version.
smilez

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:15:06 PM

Did anyone run this bot for a longer period of time? And how did it work out for them?

Did you increase your bitcoins?Smiley
ewibit
Legendary

Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:21:05 PM

Did anyone run this bot for a longer period of time? And how did it work out for them?

Did you increase your bitcoins?Smiley
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67591.msg1615534#msg1615534
now for a longer time and still the same..
smilez

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:20:34 PM

So it's kind of useless....
bobthebuilder18

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:53:39 PM

Here is my setting, you can calculate profit for yourself. It sold at 132.67 and bought it at 131. But I'm not sure for the long run... Probably will have to tune the settings from time to time. It should be better to lower threshold a little (20% or even lower).
I have it running on two separate Chromes, on one I have trading disabled and here I'm trying different settings. The other has trading enabled and I don't touch it unless I find more profitable setting.

http://s22.postimg.org/5j8dj0psx/Tooltip_006.png
spazcoin

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:11:37 PM

I installed GoxTradingBotTobli v0.2.2.3 this morning (downloaded using Git Clone instead of downloading this time, to make it easier to update in the future) and I still see the same behavior still.  Enable the bot, save changes, close the browser, open the browser, and it's disabled again.  I'm using Chrome 27.0.1453.94. This week or weekend I'll try taking a look at the code. 
Are you sure you're running the latest version? And you have the setting  "Disabled on start" unchecked?
I can't reproduce the problem with the latest version.

Good point.  Yes, I had the "Disabled on start" box checked, so that's why I saw that behavior.  That feature made sense before you implemented the 'experimental' feature of trading only on a trend switch.
CannedHeat

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:46:13 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2013, 12:10:53 AM by CannedHeat

Actually this bot is really useful. I use it with the settings.

EMA long 21 EMA short 10.
Threshold 0.23% buy
Threshold -0.15% sell (normally -0.13 but I market is playing ass-clown)
Time 45 min (cleaner picture of whats going on)

And since this little guy is nothing more then two EMA curves. Hit that F6 in SC and set up two moving avg for exponential. Set one up on length 21 and the other on a shorter like 10. I put them both in the next chart region  just so I could really see them better. Don't forget to pad the the Threshold in autotrade spreadsheet.

Do a simulation going back a few week or months. Result was that this bot is a simple working system. The profits are not super but safer, but given time you will come out on top.

TobbeLino, I know this is not part of Goomboo's system but there are two requests I have. Although “dangerous" a lot of ppl would like to see a “hold on sells” until the buy they paid is reached with the Fee. There are times when I have done an extensive advance advance study and might be say 85% sure that a price of so and so will be reached. Then then a “hiccup” and I get sold short only to see I was right a few days later. The 2ed is a tailing stop. Say 5% with avg, ... or something like that. Both should not be default but a little box you can tick in.  
small502

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:08:33 AM

Got to wonder, since i turn my pc off every night (this thing is a powerhog) would that make a major issue running this? I know it would miss some trades but it should at least get some right?
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 12:25:11 AM

Don't be surprised if this bot is running a specifically unoptimized algorithm to decide how to trade, which in turn leads to more profitability for the creator. Never trust bots that aren't programmed by yourself. The only bot that can truly be on your side is one you've written from absolute scratch.

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
Kake

Activity: 44

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:56:10 AM

Don't be surprised if this bot is running a specifically unoptimized algorithm to decide how to trade, which in turn leads to more profitability for the creator. Never trust bots that aren't programmed by yourself. The only bot that can truly be on your side is one you've written from absolute scratch.

The code is open source. Anyone can check the code to see if there's any weird stuff going on.
spazcoin

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:43:58 PM

The code is open source. Anyone can check the code to see if there's any weird stuff going on.

+1     If you can't read the code, then I guess you're back to square 1 and can't trust it, though.  But we can collaborate and make something even better.  I did a search a few days ago and didn't see any similarly developed bots.  This one for btc-e.com looks worth looking into, but seems to be tackling a different problem of arbitrage between exchanges by using BitInstant as the cheapest way of moving currency to complete the loop. http://btctrader.blogspot.ru/2013/03/faq.html

But it's true, you have to leave a PC running all the time to watch the market.  How to get around that?  1) Buy a Beagleboard or Rasberry Pi, install Chrome, and run that (maybe 5W power vs 60-140W for normal PC).  2) Maybe modify the bot or create another one that can be run on a cloud server.
whydifficult

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 02:15:48 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2013, 03:57:02 PM by whydifficult

But it's true, you have to leave a PC running all the time to watch the market.  How to get around that?  1) Buy a Beagleboard or Rasberry Pi, install Chrome, and run that (maybe 5W power vs 60-140W for normal PC).  2) Maybe modify the bot or create another one that can be run on a cloud server.

That's the reason why I build Gekko. I personally use it on my VPS which is on 24/7 anyway (for a couple of bucks a month). But you can also run it on a raspberry or similar. Gekko doen't have the overhead of the whole browser Chrome (doesn't even need gui, runs fine on my ubuntu-server), etc. Also it's extremely easy to daemonize / keep running for days.

TobbeLino

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 02:28:16 PM

TobbeLino, I know this is not part of Goomboo's system but there are two requests I have. Although “dangerous" a lot of ppl would like to see a “hold on sells” until the buy they paid is reached with the Fee. There are times when I have done an extensive advance advance study and might be say 85% sure that a price of so and so will be reached. Then then a “hiccup” and I get sold short only to see I was right a few days later. The 2ed is a tailing stop. Say 5% with avg, ... or something like that. Both should not be default but a little box you can tick in.  

If I get the time I'll try to implement some experimental functions that takes the price you paid into account, e.g. "don't sell with loss".  And maybe some kind of stop loss (need to figure out how it's supposed to work together with the other bot-strategy though, as the stop loss logic and the bot-strategy will sometimes conflict)

But right now I'm working on a different feature in the bot... Smiley
maverick1337

Activity: 40

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:52:07 PM

If I get the time I'll try to implement some experimental functions that takes the price you paid into account, e.g. "don't sell with loss".  And maybe some kind of stop loss (need to figure out how it's supposed to work together with the other bot-strategy though, as the stop loss logic and the bot-strategy will sometimes conflict)

But right now I'm working on a different feature in the bot... Smiley

This has nothing to do with your bot but I was trying to download your new version, 0.2.2.3, and it kept returning a 502: failure. Any other way to download your bot without having to click "zip"?
ReCat

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 05:55:06 PM

I know. I'm not saying that it's sabotaged, I'm saying that it's probably an inferior version of what the creator privately uses for himself. The trading deciding algorithm can be unoptimized, or optimized. Both being legitimate trading algorithms, but one resulting in a less favorable result than the other. Resulting in scenarios that are easily exploitable by the optimized trader. I'm a programmer myself, so I know this to be a possibility, which is why I don't trust it.

If you can understand the code it's best to go out and create your own private trader.

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
whydifficult

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 06:33:39 PM

I know. I'm not saying that it's sabotaged, I'm saying that it's probably an inferior version of what the creator privately uses for himself. The trading deciding algorithm can be unoptimized, or optimized. Both being legitimate trading algorithms, but one resulting in a less favorable result than the other. Resulting in scenarios that are easily exploitable by the optimized trader. I'm a programmer myself, so I know this to be a possibility, which is why I don't trust it.

If you can understand the code it's best to go out and create your own private trader.

I do agree that you shouldn't always trust everything, especially things with a download button. However:

If you are a programmer why you don't you just read the code yourself instead of not trusting the maintainer? As a programmer you are always building on top of / using stuff others created, it is just not feasible to reinvent the wheel every time imo. I think open source software like this needs more verification from people able to read the code.

I don't quite understand your position: have you read the source of bitcoin-qt? Do you even use proprietary software? I know there is a difference between software of an established company and a github repo. The bot is up for over a year, the code has beed tested and read.

I don't see any real world way for the maintainers to exploit an unoptimized version of the bot: If a 1000 people were using this bot with all 1BTC on their account this would in no way be able to move a market with a size of Mt. Gox to anything which can be easily exploited. Even if there was something like a hidden button the maintainer could press to make all the bots sell or buy (which there wasn't last time I checked).

It is always important to check free tools like these that are being offered but writing things from scratch is no option except when you are a programmer yourself AND have the time to take on a new project.

Grover

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

I was thinking Stay Puft, but Gozer said Grover

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 11:26:02 PM

The "Crazy Ivan" bot strategy is used in some FOREX bots, namely Fapturbo.

"Fapturbo" http://www.fapturbo.com/

good lord.... that's looks totally legit bro Wink

It appears, you have mistaken what I wrote with me giving some sort celebrity endorsement to fapturbo.  I implore you to reread what I previously wrote or quit reading into what is written into a post, since clearly I did not endorse fapturbo nor did i use any of my celebrity to imply anything about fapturbo. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: