Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:29:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] MoneroX - A cross platform graphical account manager for Monero  (Read 88592 times)
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 02:53:24 PM

FYI, the crashing only seems to occur when using a remote daemon (I'm using moneroclub). I just sent something using the local daemon, and it didn't crash.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 10:16:27 AM

It's been a few days now that Monero-X wont start anymore.

It's crashing with

Code:
Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'System.Runtime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'System.Runtime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'

System is Linux Mint 17.1

It had been working well before. Any hint on what could be provoking this?

Thanks!

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 11:02:20 AM

It's crashing with

Code:
Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.

Thanks!

did you try a simple re-install?

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Shrikez

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 12:12:19 PM

It's crashing with

Code:
Unhandled Exception:

Thanks!

did you try a simple re-install?

Thanks for your help but unfortunately it's still the same.

elrippo
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 02:49:24 PM

Yak.... .NET on a Unix system....
@Jojatekok: Could you please support an other Language than .NET  Huh I have absoloutely no interest in running mono or wine on an Unix system! Please do us this favor, i'll tip you for that  Grin Wink

For Advertisement. PM me to discuss.
mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 04:58:28 PM

@Jojatekok: Could you please support an other Language than .NET  Huh I have absoloutely no interest in running mono or wine on an Unix system! Please do us this favor, i'll tip you for that  Grin Wink

You do know that Microsoft has made .NET open source? Once Jojatekok gets this working well cross-platform, I think it'll be a great .NET contribution. We need developers in this space coming at Bitcoin from all angles, from all backgrounds.
elrippo
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:50:12 AM

@Jojatekok: Could you please support an other Language than .NET  Huh I have absoloutely no interest in running mono or wine on an Unix system! Please do us this favor, i'll tip you for that  Grin Wink

You do know that Microsoft has made .NET open source? Once Jojatekok gets this working well cross-platform, I think it'll be a great .NET contribution. We need developers in this space coming at Bitcoin from all angles, from all backgrounds.

Yeah i know, but i do NOT like Microsoft, and you should be aware of the latest reveals regarding MS and Friends.
So it can be as opensource as it is, it still is a product for and from Microsoft, and i still do NOT like it and never will.
Besides that Apollo 13 did not fly to the moon (if it ever was there) with MS on board, the first big computers where also not using any kind of MS, and most electronic devices do NOT use MS i have absoloutely NO intent using any kind of MS, or something that relates to it! Angry

MS code on a Unix machine is like a gasoline engine on Telsas first electric car, a useless paradoxon  Wink

mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 05:36:37 PM

Yeah i know, but i do NOT like Microsoft, and you should be aware of the latest reveals regarding MS and Friends.

Sounds like a personal problem. If you're not coding this yourself, your hate of Microsoft is your own problem.
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2015, 05:41:23 PM

yeah, fact of the matter is some large made up percentage, how about 90%, of people use windows. And MoneroX works great on windows (at least for me).

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 06:07:53 PM

yeah, fact of the matter is some large made up percentage, how about 90%, of people use windows. And MoneroX works great on windows (at least for me).

I wonder if 90% of Monero users trust their XMR to Windows. I do not. elrippo does make some very valid points.

Edit: The biggest risk here is not the .net framework itself since Microsoft has released it as FLOSS but rather that it can open the door to other Windows Malware on a GNU/Linux system. A similar problem can occur with the Wine project.   

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2015, 07:42:07 PM

I wonder if 90% of Monero users trust their XMR to Windows. I do not. elrippo does make some very valid points.

Edit: The biggest risk here is not the .net framework itself since Microsoft has released it as FLOSS but rather that it can open the door to other Windows Malware on a GNU/Linux system. A similar problem can occur with the Wine project.   

90% of current Monero users (who can mostly compile and use command line), probably not. 90% of future monero users (who can't compile and want GUIs) probably don't care. They will simply use Monero as the cryptocurreny where your neighbor can't send you a creepy message seeing if you liked the foodtruck they recommended.

Did you read that story? It was posted in the ANN thread a while back.

mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 08:03:48 PM

Honestly, I don't think his generalities were very valid at all.

ArticMine, "opening the door to Windows Malware on GNU/Linux" sounds like FUD to me. How about we focus specifically on MoneroX, and not all these broad generalities.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 08:40:13 PM

ArticMine, "opening the door to Windows Malware on GNU/Linux" sounds like FUD to me. How about we focus specifically on MoneroX, and not all these broad generalities.

Allowing the execution of certain Windows executables on GNU/Linux does increase the security risk of a GNU/Linux system given the sheer amount of
Windows malware in the wild. I do recognise however that this risk is very small but it is finite. I do not use Wine for this very reason. When it comes to XMR, XBT, etc  I prefer to be safe than sorry. MoneroX is a great project, unfortunately the choice of C# and .net is a small but not insignificant negative. I have downloaded and tested MoneroX and will likely do it again in the future. I am currently undecided on using it on an account with actual XMR, I may or I may simply wait for the official GUI.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:05:51 PM

Allowing the execution of certain Windows executables on GNU/Linux does increase the security risk of a GNU/Linux system given the sheer amount of
Windows malware in the wild. I do recognise however that this risk is very small but it is finite. I do not use Wine for this very reason. When it comes to XMR, XBT, etc  I prefer to be safe than sorry. MoneroX is a great project, unfortunately the choice of C# and .net is a small but not insignificant negative. I have downloaded and tested MoneroX and will likely do it again in the future. I am currently undecided on using it on an account with actual XMR, I may or I may simply wait for the official GUI.

I agree with ArticMine that it isn't FUD. If you have something on your computer (.NET runtime) that can execute .NET programs intended for Windows they you have increased exposure.

Is .NET Native available for Linux? If you can compile the application to a native Linux binary and use it without the .NET runtime installed, the issue with Windows malware wouldn't apply. At that point it is just programming language.
opennux

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 11:54:07 PM

I think they are valid. They are valid because nothing is stronger than the weakest link. Why go through all the trouble of state of the art cryptography bettering it all the way, being pedantic (and this is meant as a positive) about the smallest issues in the technology itself, when you are going to run it (and your private keys and all meta-data surrounding it) on a malware / NSA infected computer?

It's not FUD. It's Due Diligence.
mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:48:10 AM

Guys, we're talking about the Mono .NET Framework.

"Mono is a free and open source project led by Xamarin (formerly by Novell and originally by Ximian) to create an Ecma standard-compliant, .NET Framework-compatible set of tools including, among others, a C# compiler and a Common Language Runtime."

"Mono is a software platform designed to allow developers to easily create cross platform applications. Sponsored by Xamarin, Mono is an open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET Framework based on the ECMA standards for C# and the Common Language Runtime. A growing family of solutions and an active and enthusiastic contributing community is helping position Mono to become the leading choice for development of Linux applications."

What I'm disagreeing with in this thread is this claim that since .NET was originally developed by Microsoft, that this somehow makes any application developed using the Mono .NET Framework a security risk. That just comes across to me as anti-Microsoft FUD.

Mono wasn't even developed by Microsoft. You can develop with it on Linux with MonoDevelop. You don't even have to touch a Windows machine. There are also sandboxing capabilities. And, you can even look at the code yourself if you're capable.

Again, how does using it make an application *by default* less secure than you choosing to make use of *any* other framework (in other words, pick any other, and it *must* be better)?

For sure, if you know of a security vulnerability in Mono that impacts MoneroX, tell the Mono guys about it. I'm sure they'll fix it.  Heck, if you're capable enough, *you* could even submit it to the project yourself.

But this idea that Mono isn't safe, because... Microsoft, is a bit much.
elrippo
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 04:40:17 AM

articmine disribed pretty well, why i am NOT using any MS related software.
This might be a personal problem of mine, but i have no interest in opening the weakest link on a safer system than MS, like Unixisch systems, that's my point  Shocked
I totally respect the work of jojatek, but i generally disagree in using wine or mono on a Unix system.
The fact that MS Desktops make over 90% of the "population" has the same reason why crypto currencies are not used by 90% of the "population"

Unfortunally i am not going to use this wallet, unless it is coded in an other language than .NET.... Roll Eyes

mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 05:57:50 AM

The fact that MS Desktops make over 90% of the "population" has the same reason why crypto currencies are not used by 90% of the "population"

Can you be more explicit on this? I'd rather not assume what you really mean.
elrippo
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 06:34:12 AM

What I mean is simply the fact that Microsoft is the leading Operating System on PC's these days with over 90%.
The fact that educational institutions teach our young ones MS equals a PC with no other choices and "forgetting" to teach other systems leads to the fact, that other options are not really explored by these young ones in general.
This education, and many other things, lead to the ignorance of alternatives as for example crypto currencies.

The last ten years I personally experienced that people who know Unix also know other alternatives like for example crypto currencies.
People how only use MS and what they are "teached" and told only lift their eye brows when they hear Unix or crypto currencies...

That's what I meant with 90% of the population, I hope I could lighten up things

Shrikez

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:19:49 AM

bumppp  Grin

It's crashing with

Code:
Unhandled Exception:

Thanks!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: