Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:01:47 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: I was hacked (1170btc stolen) - 500btc max BOUNTY  (Read 35625 times)
RocketSingh
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:27:18 PM

Contact DropBox

Ask them to have a security audit on your account and tell them to provide u all the details about the machines from where the login took place...

Follow: http://www.labnol.org/internet/dropbox-security-audit/19636/

glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:29:41 PM

Where are you from, how many poeple knew you had such an amount of bitcoin arround you?

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Divinespark

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:35:50 PM

You had 1170 btc in an online wallet? Wow.
This sounds like possibly an inside job

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Keyara

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:37:34 PM

You had 1170 btc in an online wallet? Wow.
This sounds like possibly an inside job

First thought come into my mind too. Inside job is very likely and you probably are not even his first victim.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:42:49 PM

Wow... that's a freaking theft...  The wallet was online I assume?
Electrum - dropbox was compromised (with plain txt for the pwd, I know I know..)

Sorry for the loss. No lecture about security practices from me, I'm sure you're already crushed about this enough.

That said:

Electrum password alone isn't sufficient (assuming the attacker got it through your dropbox plain text file), he'd also need a copy of the electrum wallet file. Any idea how that was accessed?

Or did you actually mean the 12-word "master seed"?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
dlowings

Activity: 226

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:49:14 PM

How do you access drop box ? if you are serious and I have my doubts. Please clone your personal machine that you access drop box from and send it to me .. I would suspect that it was the machine that you access drop box from that is compromised . It does no good to even attempt to track this down via the block chain, the only hope is to identify the point of entry they used . I doubt you would pay up, but thats the only way your alleged crook would be found .

I don't know klee personally, but I have followed him before on the forums. I do know he has given away huge amounts of NXT before for bounties.  One time a person's NXT account was hacked and I think it was klee that donated a pretty big chunk to the guy in the spirit of good will.  My guess is that he is indeed seriously about a 500btc reward.  

that may be… and I hope for the sake of the community you are correct .. but my point remains, and it rings true with what another person pointed out.. It was someone close / or had access to his habits via his personal machine.. I'm all for helping in any way I can, and I was trying to point out that whatever machine he uses to access his stuff more then likely was the eyes for the attacker . Just trying to put out there different ways for people to investigate this theft .. I doubt I can find the person, but with proper investigation the key would be to find the "how did he do it" and did he leave any tracks.. I am active in IRC and I see these script kiddies come in all day long talking about building wallet grabbers and back doors.. Its pathetic … It reminds me every day, why BTC needs over site of some sort .. Criminals need to be held accountable and addresses need ways to be black listed in some way.. I know this is a fire storm topic, but theft on this level with the amount of money involved will NEVER be good for BTC in the long run ..

blacklists are way overboard and would destroy bitcoin. He needs better security habits period.

I agree , trust me this is a VERY slippery slope …. any time you have to have a group of people step in and protect others from their own habits its a BAD thing… but bitcoin is to "wild west" right now, and that will have to be delta with until the next level of acceptance can be achieved .

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
david123
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:50:55 PM

Electrum password alone isn't sufficient (assuming the attacker got it through your dropbox plain text file), he'd also need a copy of the electrum wallet file. Any idea how that was accessed?
If I understand the OP correctly, both the wallet file and a plaintext txt with the password were on a dropbox volume.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 03:53:07 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2014, 05:37:04 PM by roslinpl

Wow... that's a freaking theft...  The wallet was online I assume?
Electrum - dropbox was compromised (with plain txt for the pwd, I know I know..)

You are shitting me .. you kept >1000BTC and you had a txt file with your password on a dropbox.

Smiley

I wish I can track those thieves but perhaps this will be not possible for me.

Kind regards.

PS. Lesson for newbies and not only: Never store your password anywhere else than in your brain OR write it down on a piece of a paper and keep it SAFE in a place that is known only for you!
you can even slice it and keep in different places Cheesy 

Change your password from time to time Smiley ...
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:54:34 PM

If I understand the OP correctly, both the wallet file and a plaintext txt with the password were on a dropbox volume.

I don't use electrum but the way I understand it is the wallet is constructed from the 12 word seed.
dekodoge

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 03:55:43 PM

The stolen BTC are still in the

14DZ3Yjb39sDTMwKd19Ly4PK15BKZfLXWZ
1CEQCaXZuKx3bPRySUFvCpXthWAnExukFb

Shame there is no way in the protocol to reject transaction from these ID's
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:00:40 PM

I don't use electrum but the way I understand it is the wallet is constructed from the 12 word seed.

That's why I asked Klee for kleerification... (*snort* sorry)

There's a password that secures your wallet file, and there's the master seed. With the seed, you're able to access the funds all by itself, but with the electrum password alone, you still need the wallet.

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
klee (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:04:03 PM

There's a password that secures your wallet file, and there's the master seed. With the seed, you're able to access the funds all by itself, but with the electrum password alone, you still need the wallet.
They had both..

EDIT: Apologies for not replying but I am trying to manage a mess here (format the computers, contacts with authorities, phone/skype calls etc)..
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:06:13 PM

But just so everyone here understands, all you need to reconstruct the entire electrum wallet is to memorize the 12 word seed. That's why its called a brain wallet.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:08:41 PM

They had both..

EDIT: Apologies for not replying but I am trying to manage a mess here (format the computers, contacts with authorities, phone/skype calls etc)..

Doesn't dropbox use 2-factor?
dlowings

Activity: 226

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:09:05 PM

But just so everyone here understands, all you need to reconstruct the entire electrum wallet is to memorize the 12 word seed. That's why its called a brain wallet.

"format the computers"

please create a P to V before you scrub the computers… to just format them is a huge mistake … you are literally destroying evidence .

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
The Avenger

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:12:53 PM

When that guy was trying to track the sheepmarketplace loot, he added fractions of BTC (0.00666BTC) to the hot addresses http://www.reddit.com/r/SheepMarketplace/comments/1rvlft/i_just_chased_him_through_a_bitcoin_tumbler_and

Was that useful? Is it worth sending a small amount of BTC to these two addesses that are holding the stolen coins to keep track of them? If the thief tries to sell, it will be trackable back to these amounts? Maybe add a message the coins are stolen, to put off potential buyers?

"I am not The Avenger"
1AthxGvreWbkmtTXed6EQfjXMXXdSG7dD6
kendog77

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:15:58 PM

Really? And how would that work in practice? Should we have a world Bitcoin court that decides which ID's were blacklisted and which transactions should be rejected?

Surely, someone posting that they were hacked on a Bitcoin message board would not be enough to blacklist coins, would it?

I don't think people think through the details when they propose such silly ideas.

I'm sorry for your loss, OP.
bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:19:51 PM

"format the computers"

please create a P to V before you scrub the computers… to just format them is a huge mistake … you are literally destroying evidence .

This!! +1

Go get a brand new computer to follow through with all your tracking efforts. Pull your old stuff offline, unplug and access needed info later. Based on your actions thus far, I would hire someone to help you out.

Truly sux man, but you need help to understand better how to catch this thief and prevent it from happening in the future.

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
Noruka

Activity: 910
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:21:33 PM

Really? And how would that work in practice? Should we have a world Bitcoin court that decides which ID's were blacklisted and which transactions should be rejected?

Surely, someone posting that they were hacked on a Bitcoin message board would not be enough to blacklist coins, would it?

I don't think people think through the details when they propose such silly ideas.

ya thats a terrible idea. Thats adding in freezing accounts.

ya sorry OP, that sucks so much.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 04:21:48 PM

Spot on.

You will also note that Klee himself never asked for such a short sighted thing. It does however help that he's a well respected member of the community (BTC and NXT), donated some of his holdings, etc. It looks like the community has his back. Whether that's enough to recover the coins is another matter of course.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: