Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:35:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCN] Cryptonite | 1st mini-blockchain coin | M7 PoW | No Premine  (Read 578441 times)
thefix
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 31, 2016, 04:54:08 PM

Only two of us donating of the top 15 miners on xcn.suprnova.cc

Others in the top 15 should consider donating to the suprnova pool as well

Its been one of the best pools and in some cases the only pool when others have gone down.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ExEric3

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 08:34:06 AM

Only two of us donating of the top 15 miners on xcn.suprnova.cc

Others in the top 15 should consider donating to the suprnova pool as well

Its been one of the best pools and in some cases the only pool when others have gone down.

Donate also for block explorer. Today is new month so server bills comes.
Blockchain Mechanic

Activity: 380
Merit: 103

Developer and Consultant

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2017, 01:10:37 PM

Since the original dev is around, i will be stepping back to let him resolve the issues.

Equality vs Equity...
Discord :- BlockMechanic#8560
dextronomous

Activity: 428
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 10:55:46 PM

hi bitfreak,

Getting size for height : 1265985
Cannot fastforward chain because of missing data:
OS 1265**9 NS 1265987
Accepted block 1265969
Accept block header

loads of these messages so i really cant get to get to the end of the blocks in the xcn blockchain,
stays a bit behind,
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2017, 08:22:31 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2017, 09:08:05 AM by bitfreak!

Since the original dev is around, i will be stepping back to let him resolve the issues.
I didn't code Cryptonite, I helped develop the concepts behind it and funded the development of it. If you read the first pages of this thread you will see we had a core dev but he's no longer around. As I've said before, not having a premine makes it hard to attract developers. I made a mistake assuming that open source developers would continue improving Cryptonite. My C++ skills are still fairly limited so it's unlikely I will be able to solve all these issues myself, but I am looking in the sync issues.

Based on some research I did a few days ago many of the bugs in Cryptonite have been carried over from Bitcoin. For example, there are Bitcoin bug reports about wallet corruption submitted around the time Cryptonite was forked from Bitcoin. The bugs are clearly related because even the error numbers and error messages are the same as the ones reported by people using Cryptonite. I think many of the bugs in Cryptonite could be solved simply by applying many of the fixes which have since been applied to Bitcoin.

The version of Bitcoin used to create Cryptonite also lacked several important features it has now. As I said earlier, the networking code was fairly poor and only allowed the blockchain to be downloaded from one peer at a time. Back then, Bitcoin also didn't download the block headers before downloading blocks, so it had to download blocks in order and couldn't do it in parallel.

Cryptonite was actually the first coin to implement the headers first approach, Bitcoin gained that feature shortly after the release of Cryptonite. However our headers first implementation was rushed and is not as robust as the Bitcoin implementation, and without good networking code we cannot download blocks in a parallel fashion from multiple peers at the same time, which is much faster and less error prone.

Once again I think many problems with Cryptonite could be solved by adapting the new networking code and new syncing code from Bitcoin so that the headers first synchronization works more smoothly. I am looking into how I can make some of these upgrades myself but like I said my skills are limited. Also I wont be back home for another day or two and I'm stuck with a slow laptop which doesn't have much of my software on it.

My point is, Cryptonite needs all the developers it can get right now. I know it's not easy to locate these bugs and fix them because it probably would have been done by someone by now. If we had the original dev it would probably be a lot easier to fix these issues but I doubt he will be coming back any time soon so we need other developers to keep Cryptonite alive.

I have been considering the idea of remaking Cryptonite and implementing a pre-mine, then allowing the old coins to be converted to the new coins, but I'm not exactly sure how that would be done in a fair manner. I'm not sure if that would really be a good idea but at least then we could provide a reason for devs to work on the new version of Cryptonite.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
pallas
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
January 02, 2017, 08:34:25 AM

Based on some research I did a few days ago many of the bugs in Cryptonite have been carried over from Bitcoin. For example, there are Bitcoin bug reports about wallet corruption submitted around the time Cryptonite was forked from Bitcoin. The bugs are clearly related because even the error numbers and error messages are the same as the ones reported by people using Cryptonite. I think many of the bugs in Cryptonite could be solved simply by applying many of the fixes which have since been applied to Bitcoin.

Since whis was fixed soon after XCN release, it may be trivial to backport.
Could you point me to the commit on the bitcoin git? I will have a look.

Once again I think many problems with Cryptonite could be solved by adapting the new networking code and new syncing code from Bitcoin so that the headers first synchronization works more smoothly. I am looking into how I can make some of these upgrades myself but like I said my skills are limited. Also I wont be back home for another day or two and I'm stuck with a slow laptop which doesn't have much of my software on it.

This might be a bit more complex: do you have an idea what kind of work is needed for this?

I have been considering the idea of remaking Cryptonite and implementing a pre-mine, then allowing the old coins to be converted to the new coins, but I'm not exactly sure how that would be done in a fair manner. I'm not sure if that would really be a good idea but at least then we could provide a reason for devs to work on the new version of Cryptonite.

I've been thru swaps some times and it always made someone unhappy, but if restarting from a recent version of bitcoin takes less or about the same time than fixing the old code, it will be a good choice because, in the end, the advantages are countless.

CryptoSporidium

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2017, 09:46:31 AM

I didn't code Cryptonite, I helped develop the concepts behind it and funded the development of it. If you read the first pages of this thread you will see we had a core dev but he's no longer around. As I've said before, not having a premine makes it hard to attract developers. I made a mistake assuming that open source developers would continue improving Cryptonite. My C++ skills are still fairly limited so it's unlikely I will be able to solve all these issues myself, but I am looking in the sync issues.

The version of Bitcoin used to create Cryptonite also lacked several important features it has now. As I said earlier, the networking code was fairly poor and only allowed the blockchain to be downloaded from one peer at a time. Back then, Bitcoin also didn't download the block headers before downloading blocks, so it had to download blocks in order and couldn't do it in parallel.

Cryptonite was actually the first coin to implement the headers first approach, Bitcoin gained that feature shortly after the release of Cryptonite. However our headers first implementation was rushed and is not as robust as the Bitcoin implementation, and without good networking code we cannot download blocks in a parallel fashion from multiple peers at the same time, which is much faster and less error prone.

My point is, Cryptonite needs all the developers it can get right now. I know it's not easy to locate these bugs and fix them because it probably would have been done by someone by now. If we had the original dev it would probably be a lot easier to fix these issues but I doubt he will be coming back any time soon so we need other developers to keep Cryptonite alive.

Work together guys, looks like you would make a great team collaborating.  As for funding, I think a coin swap @ 90% would be accepted by most, that would create 10% for ongoing dev expenses. The other option is donations, but might get a lot less that way.
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2017, 10:45:46 AM

I have previously tried looking for a specific commit which fixed the issue but couldn't seem to find one. I think the fix may have been included with some larger patch, I'm not really sure. I found several bug reports about random wallet corruption, such as this one, which were made around the start of 2014 and have the same error codes, however it seems they were closed without referencing a commit which solved the issue. I recall our core dev being stumped about the wallet corruption because he didn't change anything that could have caused it, so I'm fairly certain it is a bug inherited from Bitcoin.

This might be a bit more complex: do you have an idea what kind of work is needed for this?
Yes it wont be as simple as copying the Bitcoin implementation because we have the whole account tree thing. I have a rough idea as to what would be required, the hard part will be adapting all the changes Bitcoin has undergone in the last few years, much of the code has been overhauled to work in a very different way to how it worked when Cryptonite was forked from it, but many of those changes are necessary to make things like the parallel block downloading work properly.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
adsactly

Activity: 170

ADSactly is an Autonomous Decentralized Society

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2017, 10:48:52 PM

Is the future Bright with Cryptonite or should we pass on this one?

Do you want to be the FIRST to Know about New Cryptocurrency Projects and New Inventions that could potentially change the world for the better?

Join ADSactly Discord the Decentralized Community of Cryptocurrency Enthusiasts and New Comers.

http://discord.me/adsactly
thefix
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 12:15:16 AM

Is the future Bright with Cryptonite or should we pass on this one?

It has a better chance than most if you consider the trade volume and the fact that it has been able to stand on its own for quite some time. I give credit to Pallas for updating the miner software and helping to keep the chain going when things hit a snag.

Its a risk of course just like anything else, but something with a long history and decent following looks better in my book.
pallas
Legendary

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 08:48:42 AM

I have previously tried looking for a specific commit which fixed the issue but couldn't seem to find one. I think the fix may have been included with some larger patch, I'm not really sure. I found several bug reports about random wallet corruption, such as this one, which were made around the start of 2014 and have the same error codes, however it seems they were closed without referencing a commit which solved the issue. I recall our core dev being stumped about the wallet corruption because he didn't change anything that could have caused it, so I'm fairly certain it is a bug inherited from Bitcoin.

I never experienced the wallet corruption issue in months, so I'm unlikely to be able to fix it.
Can someone who recently experienced it share some more information? debug.log snip?

Yes it wont be as simple as copying the Bitcoin implementation because we have the whole account tree thing. I have a rough idea as to what would be required, the hard part will be adapting all the changes Bitcoin has undergone in the last few years, much of the code has been overhauled to work in a very different way to how it worked when Cryptonite was forked from it, but many of those changes are necessary to make things like the parallel block downloading work properly.

Maybe we can make a quick workaround: I've seen many coins hang on initial sync, then work fine after the wallet is just restarted. Maybe we could put a timeout on the connection, so it changes peer when more are known, maybe choosing the one with higher block height. What do you think?

dextronomous

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 10:53:10 AM

here you go,

wallets on two different windhoze system staying behind for 2 days 3 days,
daemon gots the same issue,

clean wallet.dat issue solved that 1 minute syncin issue,

then after xcn-miners closed. dang exeric, will send some but cant now yet.

pallas
Legendary

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 10:58:18 AM

here you go,

wallets on two different windhoze system staying behind for 2 days 3 days,
daemon gots the same issue,

clean wallet.dat issue solved that 1 minute syncin issue,

then after xcn-miners closed. dang exeric, will send some but cant now yet.

Are you saying that removing wallet.dat solved the sync issue? Weird. Could you try just restarting the daemon to see if it's enough to sync again?

George5
Legendary

Activity: 1208
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2017, 10:16:30 PM

I never experienced the wallet corruption issue in months, so I'm unlikely to be able to fix it.
Can someone who recently experienced it share some more information? debug.log snip?

That's weird cuz my wallet has been working juat great for the last  two days - no errors and crashes...
Before that it would crash every several hours. And I didn't even touch it.

Just in case uploaded my debug.log so if interested please take a look: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4FJqo3uXA8OV2NNY3JKTnRRdlE/view?usp=sharing

https://nuls.io/about/ The sky is not the limit
dextronomous

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 01:26:12 PM
Last edit: January 04, 2017, 11:01:38 PM by dextronomous

Guys hi,

hope this helps,

i got the daemon fully synced, from scratch, with the latest xcn wallet, with no blocks downloaded, with empty wallet, made the wallet show you lots of gibberish.
with that said downloaded all the blocks.  -help-debug  this gives you way more information then the normal verbosity,, so guys with folders called database delete em all.
then start this.

only this time i keep seeing getting slice done receive slice gettings slice, and not enough, accepted block, accept block header

cryptonited.exe -disablewallet -datadir=c:\xcnite -help-debug -checkpoints=1 -upgradewallet -rpcallowip=127.0.0.1 -rpcwait -checklevel=4 rpcconnections=128

hope this helps, dont know it the qt will show the same result getting the top last blocks as fast as the daemon, but hope so.
so gonna shutdown one of the daemons to see if the qt is at ok state..

1276518 is the last block i saw. and after all this, the qt could only be started after pruning the blocks with resync.. and downloading the trie takes ages..

? but qt while downloading try after headers and blocks? it still does not finish, and blocks shows 160? anything for anyone?
pause
dextronomous

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 11:18:26 PM

so guess this coin now officially dead, deadier, died?

what up on the effect of your work guys, come on, where the original programming dev.

whatup.
pallas
Legendary

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 09:07:38 AM

so guess this coin now officially dead, deadier, died?

what up on the effect of your work guys, come on, where the original programming dev.

whatup.

Well, what do you expect during the holidays?

dextronomous

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 10:37:37 AM

tell that to the guys with their coins stuck at polo,

and to polo, mr dev.. oh yeah pallas no dev, bitfreak is,
could you not get the guy at the old 2014 thread doing the wallet programming ,
or do you have any fixes.. what is the latest version of the xcn wallet ?

pallas
Legendary

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 12:39:03 PM

I've sent poloniex at least 20 messages, with all the fixes. They don't answer to me any more.

Eka_pro

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 04:21:26 PM

I've sent poloniex at least 20 messages, with all the fixes. They don't answer to me any more.

maybe few of us should send them mail,so they can see interest of people for coin.
Pages: « 1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 [177] 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 »
  Print  

Jump to: