Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:42:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you store >100 Bitcoins?  (Read 42311 times)
Mightycoin

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:33:42 PM

I never store more than 2 bitcoins in my online wallet, other coins are safe in my offline wallet. I take many steps to keep my system secure.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:09:56 PM

Offline storage, and a secure paper wallet.
Hashforfun

Activity: 61

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:22:00 PM

Offline wallet on a secure OS seems to be the best idea. Linux is far safer than windows.
TimeWatch

Activity: 83

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:23:15 PM

How about keeping only few bitcoins at a time, and cashing out the remaining ones to your bank..You can be safest this way.
RawDog
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1026

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 06:55:18 PM

You should make a cold storage paper wallet.  But don't risk loss of the private key.  You should give a copy of the private key to a trusted third party escrow agent so if you lose your paper, you can get the coins back.  I can be your escrow agent if you like.  I know a lot about bitcoins.  Send me the private key in a PM. 

*Image Removed* *Expletive Removed*  *Obsenity Removed*
What's going on - Slavetards?!!!
Watch my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE43M1Z8Iew  1FuckYouc6zrtHbnqcHdhrSVhcxgpJgfds
LeMiner

Activity: 139

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:42:08 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2014, 08:10:10 PM by LeMiner

You're all thinking way too difficult about spreading out everything between online web wallets, online PC wallets and offline wallets or even brain wallets. Take 2 laptops, clean install of Ubuntu, full disk encryption with complicated long pass-phrase.

Apply security patches and harden the OS. Install armory.

First laptop will NEVER connect to the internet again (take a laptop with a hardware WIFI switch). Create an offline wallet on the offline laptop. Send bitcoins in whatever illogical small amount per address (0.9, 0.35, never more than 5btc per address). Setup a multiple offline paper wallet backup. Distribute fragments of offline wallet to people that you trust (people should not know about each others fragments for extra security)(in case you die for heritage means). Have a USB stick digital backup of wallet.dat fully encrypted multiple times for yourself in case of hard drive failure.

Second laptop will ONLY be used to sync the blockchain THROUGH TOR and to create a watch only address.

Have a normal PC (windows/whatever) for separate hot wallet (multibit/electrum/whatever). Send signed transactions from offline PC THROUGH online watch only laptop to Hot wallet.

There u have it, perfect security. Feel free to ask any questions.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:27:54 PM

You should make a cold storage paper wallet.  But don't risk loss of the private key.  You should give a copy of the private key to a trusted third party escrow agent so if you lose your paper, you can get the coins back.  I can be your escrow agent if you like.  I know a lot about bitcoins.  Send me the private key in a PM. 
Woah woah woah, don't do this! Seriously first thing first don't just send your money to strangers. You know nothing about this guy and have no clue who he is.

Should be neg repped for asking for private keys. 

CozyLife

Activity: 84

Theymos, unban my account.

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 09:28:07 PM

Get a metal fireproof safe that's professional grade. Hide the safe in a place no one even knows is there. (Ex. Remove a piece of drywall and store it inside. You'll need to make sure the box is small enough to fit, though. Patch the wall up so no one knows it's inside the wall.) If you're the artistic tyle, create a metal sculpture and place the SD Card inside that in such a way that you fully encompass the card. Be sure to pad the inside of the matal structure as the metal casing will act as a Faraday cage, but it will go hot when hit with EMPs. The inside will be shielded, but gravity will pull the chip against one of the walls. Be sure that you have static-proof wrap around your chip as well for extra protection. Hard Drives and other computer components are often shipped in static-proof bags that you can reuse.

Due to an article that BitcoinTalk didn't like that I wrote on CCN, my account is banned. Theymos refuses to reply to my request for hearing his side of the story instead of banning my account. Please sign my petition to get Theymos to unban my account. Thank you.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:37:44 PM

Armory.

Exactly.

My security involves using Armory for cold storage and offline transactions.  To that extent, I really don't have a hot wallet.

Each wallet has multiple backups on multiple clean USB drives.

Each wallet has multiple paper backups.

All are stored behind 3 inches of waterproof, flame-resistant steel (safe).

And to get to the safe you need to bypass magnetic and vibration-sensitive door alarms...and the motion detectors...and the cameras.

And in case you somehow managed to get through all that, I still have my m-of-n setup to fall back on.

Go for it  Wink
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:27:18 PM

Armory.

Exactly.

My security involves using Armory for cold storage and offline transactions.  To that extent, I really don't have a hot wallet.

And to get to the safe you need to bypass magnetic and vibration-sensitive door alarms...and the motion detectors...and the cameras.

And in case you somehow managed to get through all that, I still have my m-of-n setup to fall back on.

Go for it  Wink

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:29:23 PM

Armory.

Exactly.

Go for it  Wink

it should be mentioned that Electrum is just as safe as Armory for cold storage.

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 02:21:53 AM

Armory.

Exactly.

Go for it  Wink

This is awesome.  I feel like I may have seen this once before.  That may be the only reason I didn't finish my "hallway of lasers" obstacle course.

But trust me, you'll need *at least* a $10 wrench with a skull as thick as mine.
coinsolidation

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 02:53:05 AM

You should make a cold storage paper wallet.  But don't risk loss of the private key.  You should give a copy of the private key to a trusted third party escrow agent so if you lose your paper, you can get the coins back.  I can be your escrow agent if you like.  I know a lot about bitcoins.  Send me the private key in a PM.  
Woah woah woah, don't do this! Seriously first thing first don't just send your money to strangers. You know nothing about this guy and have no clue who he is.

You just inadvertently explained why banks are bad.

"How would you store $50,000 Dollars?"
"You should give them to a trusted third party"
"Woah woah woah, don't do this!"

On a similar note, it's nice that all of these suggestions are even available, it is good to reflect on how far we have came, not just to store money securely, but to store copies of it also. - Copies of the keys I know, but it amounts to the same

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
Mirdude

Activity: 319
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 03:05:24 AM

Does it matter if it's in 1 wallet or 50, surely the security measurements are the same either way.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 03:15:30 AM

Does it matter if it's in 1 wallet or 50, surely the security measurements are the same either way.

Sure it could.  Multiply the average time/cost/etc. it takes a person to crack into one wallet by the total number of wallets.   

Now, if the average time it takes to crack into the first wallet is longer than your life span, then one is probably good as long as you're not exaggerating your security measures, and if you're not careless Smiley
Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 03:32:00 AM

On a hard drive in a landfill
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 03:47:39 AM

use armory, probably your safest bet

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
There

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:19:50 AM

1 Wallet. I like to take risks.
FrozenBit

Activity: 657
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:21:45 AM

I would use a secure Multi-signature address. Highest security, highest usablility and statistically 3x more secure than a paper wallet. Did I mention trustless and can store keys on multiple pc's?
TheGr33k

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 04:27:06 AM

Every 5 btc in a seperate cold storage wallet. Maybe paper or usb idk.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: