Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:00:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you store >100 Bitcoins?  (Read 42306 times)
Bibop

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 09:32:26 PM

Only a cold wallet in my house. cant imagine anywhere safer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 10:23:02 PM

I'd write it on a grain of rice and put it in a bowl full of rice in the kitchen.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-96k2XwcPp78/Tr06mLDoTmI/AAAAAAAAAbs/Q574Z9eiONg/s1600/IMG_0671.JPG

The ideo of the grain of rice is fantastic xD , but  if are you hungry what do you do  Grin  ? Eat  the rice ? Or what  ....  Tongue .
gonnafly

Activity: 53
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 12:42:11 PM

TIL a huge number of cold storage coins held by bitcoiners will be lost forever on their death.
bitnoteblock

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 12:50:38 PM

I would not store 100 btc, I'm not sure about their future so I would sell them all and buy gold with the money.
CokeCoin

Activity: 235
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:18:38 PM

TIL a huge number of cold storage coins held by bitcoiners will be lost forever on their death.

Not a huge number since most of the people giving "good" advice in this thread aren't holding more than a couple coins.

GTA

Activity: 90

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:49:03 PM

Not a huge number since most of the people giving "good" advice in this thread aren't holding more than a couple coins.

Not a single person saying "Well, I printed my thingy onto a metal wallet and then I bought a safe."
I think we're just securing a bit of money, not trying to trick Danny Ocean and his band of misfits.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 01:54:33 PM

5 x 20 BTC paper wallets, into a bank safety deposit box that only me and my significant other have access to.

5 x 20 BTC wallet.dats on 5 USB sticks in my home safe that only me and my significant other know the combination.

Done.   Cool

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Summer,69

Activity: 50

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 02:17:49 PM

Not a single person saying "Well, I printed my thingy onto a metal wallet and then I bought a safe."
I think we're just securing a bit of money, not trying to trick Danny Ocean and his band of misfits.

I printed mine out on multiple paper wallets. I didn't want to have the entire block of coins all on one address.
The reason for this, in my mind, was that when I want to spend some, I wouldn't have to sweep the entire sum, then re-distribute once again. I have 3BTC here, 2BTC there, 1BTC there, there, there...you get the idea. It's a little more work, but if you're storing one somewhere, then why not store 5, or 6, or 12 paper wallets?

I have multiple copies of each wallet, paper and digital, and I have the passphrase in my head, (plus encrypted on USB that my wife can figure out if need be). I've also left detailed directions for her on how to de-crypt the private key once she has the passphrase (including the link to my post where I freaked out when first trying to access the private key).
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:01:30 PM

I printed mine out on multiple paper wallets. I didn't want to have the entire block of coins all on one address.
The reason for this, in my mind, was that when I want to spend some, I wouldn't have to sweep the entire sum, then re-distribute once again. I have 3BTC here, 2BTC there, 1BTC there, there, there...you get the idea. It's a little more work, but if you're storing one somewhere, then why not store 5, or 6, or 12 paper wallets?

I have multiple copies of each wallet, paper and digital, and I have the passphrase in my head, (plus encrypted on USB that my wife can figure out if need be). I've also left detailed directions for her on how to de-crypt the private key once she has the passphrase (including the link to my post where I freaked out when first trying to access the private key).

That's a good plan and almost exactly what I did.

MoonTime

Activity: 96

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:10:08 PM

I will store more than 100 bitcoins only on an offline wallet or cold wallet. I wouldn't keep that much amount on a online wallet.
Fearless

Activity: 89

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:40:45 PM

I wouldn't keep such a high amount of bitcoins in only one wallet, possibly distribute it into 20+ wallets, all of which will be cold.

I also wouldn't mind having a paid antivirus program.
25hashcoin

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 10:29:33 PM

I also wouldn't mind having a paid antivirus program.

Lol...

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 04:51:02 AM

If you used some kind of wallet service (either a web wallet or a software wallet) then the wallet would simply send the amount you do not spend to your change address, so you would still have access to the rest of your money.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
dankkk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 08:08:47 AM

This sounds like a complicated process to me. More so then it should be for storing (and using) your money. I like the idea of having multiple backups of your wallet, but not so much keeping various wallets with different amounts on each one.
Tyrkul

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:09:59 AM

How about storing your private key on the blockchain? Encrypted of coarse.

If you want to store bitcoin for someone 9 generations down.

How else would you store your bitcoins for 10k years?

Companies, clouds, hardrives can disintegrate but the blockchain will always be there.
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:20:48 AM

How about storing your private key on the blockchain? Encrypted of coarse.

If you want to store bitcoin for someone 9 generations down.

How else would you store your bitcoins for 10k years?

Companies, clouds, hardrives can disintegrate but the blockchain will always be there.

Where would you store the decryption key?

Sheldor333

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:03:41 AM

Well if I had that many I would definitely store them offline. Probably but a Raspberry pie and get them on there. Also I would put them on a few of those, just in case.

polunna

Activity: 57

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:47:39 AM

Think of it is a service to you. They are making your coins more valuable.
bambino

Activity: 111

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 11:12:19 AM

My whole family knows vaguely how to get them. I'm sure upon my death they'll do the necessary googling.
BeeTeeSea

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:53:51 PM

In a encrypted HD, with tons of backups.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: