Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:03:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Blowing the lid off the CryptoNote/Bytecoin scam (with the exception of Monero)  (Read 132816 times)
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1968

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 12:04:58 AM

The continuation of the story together with the Bcn team's attempts to reply:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=512747.msg21010493#msg21010493
I've upped the pressure on "Jenny G", the "new" face of the BCN scam.  Roll Eyes

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=512747.msg21023736#msg21023736

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
TheFuzzStone
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1442

thefuzzstone.github.io

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2017, 03:38:21 PM

A couple of months ago this article was translated into Russian, at time to time some new forum users saying in a comments that this article is paid and another stuff like that.  Smiley

TaylorFade

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 07:01:19 PM

I'm nobody and don't know shit about shit. I hold neither BCN nor XMR but thought I would give my two Satoshi after spending entirely too much time reading the whole thread from beginning to end in one sitting.

What an entertaining storyline! I'm not sure why, but I find myself rooting for Bytecoin here. Maybe because they're the underdog in this story. Or maybe the Monero guys are a little too "smooth" or "fluffy". I can't put my finger on it, but I get the feeling CN/BCN is/was a group of "old school" geniuses and XMR is a bunch of ego-maniacal prep school millennials.

Or maybe I just don't like Monero's stupid logo. I dunno. Either way... Team BCN!

Go go, Bytecoin!
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4906

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 07:17:03 PM

I'm nobody and don't know shit about shit. I hold neither BCN nor XMR but thought I would give my two Satoshi after spending entirely too much time reading the whole thread from beginning to end in one sitting.

What an entertaining storyline! I'm not sure why, but I find myself rooting for Bytecoin here. Maybe because they're the underdog in this story. Or maybe the Monero guys are a little too "smooth" or "fluffy". I can't put my finger on it, but I get the feeling CN/BCN is/was a group of "old school" geniuses and XMR is a bunch of ego-maniacal prep school millennials.

Or maybe I just don't like Monero's stupid logo. I dunno. Either way... Team BCN!

Go go, Bytecoin!

Stupid sockpuppet name you chose there, Do you really think anyone believes the load of horseshit you just spat out?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
TaylorFade

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 07:33:24 PM

Go go, Bytecoin!

Stupid sockpuppet name you chose there, Do you really think anyone believes the load of horseshit you just spat out?

Lol. It's the same username I use across all of social media. None of which have anything to do with crypto (you're welcome to search it). Like I said... I'm nobody. Just thought I would offer an "outsider's" view of the sitch. Which, obviously, isn't worth much.

Can I change my username? If so, may I have "Sockpuppet"?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4906

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 12:19:38 AM

Go go, Bytecoin!

Lol. It's the same username I use across all of social media. None of which have anything to do with crypto (you're welcome to search it). Like I said... I'm nobody. Just thought I would offer an "outsider's" view of the sitch. Which, obviously, isn't worth much.

Link them.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1107

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 12:54:01 AM

Go go, Bytecoin!

Link them.

Lightly used two year old pothead account on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/taylorfade

Very lightly used seven year old twitter account: https://twitter.com/TaylorFade

Lightly used G+ account: https://plus.google.com/113811220399612247019

No youtube account. No facebook account.

What's the other social medias? Shitcointalk?
TaylorFade

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 12:58:34 PM

Go go, Bytecoin!

Link them.

Lightly used two year old pothead account on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/taylorfade

Very lightly used seven year old twitter account: https://twitter.com/TaylorFade

Lol! That's definitely not me on Reddit.

That's me on Twitter. But I don't really "get" Twitter so I don't use it much (obviously). Have IG also, but I find myself just posting the same shit as I do on FB so it's not very busy either.

That's me on Google.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TaylorFade187

FB: https://www.facebook.com/taylor.fade.3

Here's a 5 year old, nine thousand reply "ask me anything" thread on what used to be my home forum. Before FB groups killed the forums.
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/general-car-audio-discussion-questions/128204-ask-t-fade-anything.html

As you can see... my passion is mobile audio. And like I said... I'm nobody.

Not everyone that disagrees with your point of view is a shill or a sockpuppet. Y'all should probably get used to random, ignorant people like me visiting and chiming in as crypto becomes more mainstream. I know you all are really looking forward to that.
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 01:42:51 PM

Go go, Bytecoin!

Link them.

Lol! That's definitely not me on Reddit.

That's me on Twitter. But I don't really "get" Twitter so I don't use it much (obviously). Have IG also, but I find myself just posting the same shit as I do on FB so it's not very busy either.

That's me on Google.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TaylorFade187

FB: https://www.facebook.com/taylor.fade.3

Here's a 5 year old, nine thousand reply "ask me anything" thread on what used to be my home forum. Before FB groups killed the forums.
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/general-car-audio-discussion-questions/128204-ask-t-fade-anything.html

As you can see... my passion is mobile audio. And like I said... I'm nobody.

Not everyone that disagrees with your point of view is a shill or a sockpuppet. Y'all should probably get used to random, ignorant people like me visiting and chiming in as crypto becomes more mainstream. I know you all are really looking forward to that.

OK, then buy some Bytecoins and enjoy the scam.
TaylorFade

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 01:52:52 PM

Well, I'm not exactly gonna reroute my 401k, but let me ask y'all this... if I were to just mine them or be on the network or whatever... am I (or anyone else) in any danger of "being scammed" or exposed somehow?

JennifeSmith

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 01:59:57 PM

The question on my mind now is how the heck Bytecoin still has a 5 million dollar marketcap.  Grin Grin Grin
TaylorFade

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 02:16:32 PM

The question on my mind now is how the heck Bytecoin still has a 5 million dollar marketcap.  Grin Grin Grin

This is why I chimed in. I'm trying to tell y'all that from a random outsider's perspective... nobody gives a shit if the goddamn whitepaper was copy/pasted. ZOMG!!! Conspiracy!

Don't care. People see that it costs less than a penny, was the first CryptoNote and it's got a cool name. They're thinking maybe they're getting in on the ground floor of something since they missed out on BitCoin. And even if they read this thread (they won't), maybe they will get the same impression that I did. Not that there's anything wrong with Monero or its team. I've done some reading on XMR and it looks awesome. I know privacy coins are going to be a big deal and I hold some Verge (ask me why).

Fluffy and Smooth represented Monero very, very well in this thread. Very knowledgeable and professional. Kudos. The coin just doesn't get me all warm and fuzzy even though I have my CPU chewing on XMR.
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:24:15 PM

The question on my mind now is how the heck Bytecoin still has a 5 million dollar marketcap.  Grin Grin Grin

This is why I chimed in. I'm trying to tell y'all that from a random outsider's perspective... nobody gives a shit if the goddamn whitepaper was copy/pasted. ZOMG!!! Conspiracy!

Don't care. People see that it costs less than a penny, was the first CryptoNote and it's got a cool name. They're thinking maybe they're getting in on the ground floor of something since they missed out on BitCoin. And even if they read this thread (they won't), maybe they will get the same impression that I did. Not that there's anything wrong with Monero or its team. I've done some reading on XMR and it looks awesome. I know privacy coins are going to be a big deal and I hold some Verge (ask me why).

Fluffy and Smooth represented Monero very, very well in this thread. Very knowledgeable and professional. Kudos. The coin just doesn't get me all warm and fuzzy even though I have my CPU chewing on XMR.

You won't get scammed by mining Bytecoin, but you are kind of perpetuating their scam, and the marketcap is $337M, not $5M.

The Cryptonote whitepaper was not copy pasted by Bytecoin. It was released around the same time as Bytecoin. They likely wrote the whitepaper and implemented it in Bytecoin, but they also almost surely faked several years of blockchain history and essentially premined more than 80% of all coins that will ever exist. That's a scam, imo, not sure about yours.

Also, since you brought it up, Verge is garbage, maybe not a scam, but garbage nonetheless. It launched as a generic scrypt clone with the name Dogecoindark with a very front-loaded emission - like I think 75% of all coins that will ever exist were mined in the first couple months of its life as Dogecoindark. Later rebranded to Verge, but is still using a 5 year old Bitcoin codebase and the dev can't even get an electrum server running properly after two years. And it likes to masquerade as a "privacy coin", when it has no privacy features except for offering a version that runs on tor by default. This isn't a privacy feature, it's trivial to run Bitcoin over tor, and you'll have far more privacy doing that because people actually use Bitcoin. Good luck with your dogecoindarks tho...
TaylorFade

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 04:03:58 PM

The question on my mind now is how the heck Bytecoin still has a 5 million dollar marketcap.  Grin Grin Grin

You won't get scammed by mining Bytecoin, but you are kind of perpetuating their scam, and the marketcap is $337M, not $5M.

The Cryptonote whitepaper was not copy pasted by Bytecoin. It was released around the same time as Bytecoin. They likely wrote the whitepaper and implemented it in Bytecoin, but they also almost surely faked several years of blockchain history and essentially premined more than 80% of all coins that will ever exist. That's a scam, imo, not sure about yours.

Also, since you brought it up, Verge is garbage, maybe not a scam, but garbage nonetheless. It launched as a generic scrypt clone with the name Dogecoindark with a very front-loaded emission - like I think 75% of all coins that will ever exist were mined in the first couple months of its life as Dogecoindark. Later rebranded to Verge, but is still using a 5 year old Bitcoin codebase and the dev can't even get an electrum server running properly after two years. And it likes to masquerade as a "privacy coin", when it has no privacy features except for offering a version that runs on tor by default. This isn't a privacy feature, it's trivial to run Bitcoin over tor, and you'll have far more privacy doing that because people actually use Bit[Suspicious link removed]d luck with your dogecoindarks tho...

Appreciate that info. As uninformed as I am, I could still tell that Verge wasn't some groundbreaking tech, but it was cheap and it's tripled since I bought it. I assume Monero is the crown jewel of privacy coins?

And that's the thing, isn't it? "almost surely faked". As in... we don't know for sure. Someone was also asking if it was possible that they premined such a large percentage to help secure it and no one was willing to stipulate that that was even a remote possibility. I understand the counterpoint, but it just seems strange to me. But maybe they're just the dumbest smart people in all of crypto. Or maybe none of you have the foresight to understand what their intentions were.

Anyway... was funny reading this thread from the beginning since most of the discussion was so long ago (in crypto time). BCN is garbage and XMR is king dingaling. OP even made some decent money for his efforts. All is right in the world.
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 06:44:27 PM

Appreciate that info. As uninformed as I am, I could still tell that Verge wasn't some groundbreaking tech, but it was cheap and it's tripled since I bought it. I assume Monero is the crown jewel of privacy coins?

And that's the thing, isn't it? "almost surely faked". As in... we don't know for sure. Someone was also asking if it was possible that they premined such a large percentage to help secure it and no one was willing to stipulate that that was even a remote possibility. I understand the counterpoint, but it just seems strange to me. But maybe they're just the dumbest smart people in all of crypto. Or maybe none of you have the foresight to understand what their intentions were.

Anyway... was funny reading this thread from the beginning since most of the discussion was so long ago (in crypto time). BCN is garbage and XMR is king dingaling. OP even made some decent money for his efforts. All is right in the world.

Personally, I would replace "Almost surely faked" with "Absolutely faked". As many have pointed out over and over, it's just really not plausible that it was mined on the darkweb. I'm certainly not going to rehash all the points the OP made, but it's pretty much accepted that the bytecoin developers are phony scammers, and are not real/known people.

As for your comment about noone here being "smart" enough to figure out their intentions, I disagree. Obviously, nobody knows the true answer but them, however, we can all do our own critical thinking. Wink

And, No, Monero isn't king dingaling or whatever, the point of the OP's thread was that Monero seem(s)(ed) to be the only legit clone of BCN out there. Read it as you will I suppose, everyone has a different take on everything.  Roll Eyes

Cheers

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
stoffu

Activity: 203
Merit: 166

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2017, 05:02:40 AM

Well, I'm not exactly gonna reroute my 401k, but let me ask y'all this... if I were to just mine them or be on the network or whatever... am I (or anyone else) in any danger of "being scammed" or exposed somehow?

Keep in mind that the development force of Bytecoin is incomparably weaker than that of Monero, simply because Bytecoin is developed by only one individual (amjuarez). This makes Bytecoin potentially insecure because not enough eyes are looking into the code to find bugs or vulnerabilities. I'd say Bytecoin is much more likely than Monero to collapse and become worthless due to an attack at some point in the future. At that point you may find yourself "scammed" or "exposed".
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 10:09:02 AM

"Don't understand their intentions" has been a repeated talking point by Bytecoin shills. It is the perfect ambiguous and non-falsifiable dodge.

In fact Occam's Razor tells the story perfectly well for anyone with the ability to do, as owlcatz calls it, critical thinking: Their intentions were to launch the coin as a premine scam and take a lot of money out of the coin and put it into their own pockets. That of necessity requires inducing other people to put a lot of money into the coin. Which they are still trying to do at some level with the continued (if laughable) shenanigans with "Jenny" and other shills.

versprichnix

Activity: 876
Merit: 291

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 02:30:45 PM

"Don't understand their intentions" has been a repeated talking point by Bytecoin shills. It is the perfect ambiguous and non-falsifiable dodge.

In fact Occam's Razor tells the story perfectly well for anyone with the ability to do, as owlcatz calls it, critical thinking: Their intentions were to launch the coin as a premine scam and take a lot of money out of the coin and put it into their own pockets. That of necessity requires inducing other people to put a lot of money into the coin. Which they are still trying to do at some level with the continued (if laughable) shenanigans with "Jenny" and other shills.

Three years before there was a very cheap distribution of this coin, with your help it went down to 2 Satoshi. No reason to complain, for nobody.
TaylorFade

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 10:31:29 PM

It doesn't take Occam's razor to whittle down to greed. Just a touch of cynicism. But y'all are pretty quick to jump to argument from incredulity when presented with alternative hypotheses.

I will stipulate that cynics are usually right though.
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 11:28:15 PM

It doesn't take Occam's razor to whittle down to greed. Just a touch of cynicism. But y'all are pretty quick to jump to argument from incredulity when presented with alternative hypotheses.

I will stipulate that cynics are usually right though.

Please - Feel free to elaborate on any possible "alternative hypotheses"... Seriously... I'd love to entertain any of them, I'm sure i'm not alone! Grin

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: