Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 03:14:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Calling the Bottom  (Read 45297 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 03:08:55 PM

It took me until my day off from my slave job to go buy a mining rig.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 03:19:37 PM

+1

The logic is sound, the facts seem to fit, and I agree.

so why is price not performing as it should be?

as long as their anxiety results in them selling more bitcoins to the deep-pocket investors, the wait continues.

yes, that seems to be the case, I would go one step further and add that the deep-pocket investors are playing with the market, dropping price, leverage hunting, down playing their willingness to buy, all in the hope of adding to that anxiety resulting more bitcoin available on the market for them.

no one drops large sums of bitcoin when news is gr8, unless they want to manipulate, and we saw just how effective a well placed large market sell can be, with last nights long squeeze.

do you believe there is some manipulation is taking place? how long can they keep this up?  how low will they make us go? are their tricks working for you, are you scared, are you selling!?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 03:24:45 PM

+1

as long as their anxiety results in them selling more bitcoins to the deep-pocket investors, the wait continues.

yes, that seems to be the case, I would go one step further and add that the deep-pocket investors are playing with the market, dropping price, leverage hunting, down playing their willingness to buy, all in the hope of adding to that anxiety resulting more bitcoin available on the market for them.

no one drops large sums of bitcoin when news is gr8, unless they want to manipulate, and we saw just how effective a well placed large market sell can be, with last nights long squeeze.

do you believe there is some manipulation is taking place? how long can they keep this up?  how low will they make us go? are their tricks working for you, are you scared, are you selling!?
It's a new land, like the Wild West. There are unwritten rules that yet need to be written.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 03:39:13 PM

It took me 2 weeks from hearing about bitcoin to owning it.
2 months for me... one to research it thoroughly to find out it wasn't a scam, and another to figure out how to actually obtain some, watching helplessly as the price went from $15 to over $60.

Yeah, 2 months is about average to thoroughly research Bitcoin. In fact, I'm still learning tidbits here and there.

I remember calling Gavin and theymos at least a couple of times to ask questions. Then wasting another month throwing out low ball bids on OTC that were laughable (embarrassingly low). Finally I said fuck it and plowed into mtgox.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 03:43:19 PM

+1

It's a new land, like the Wild West. There are unwritten rules that yet need to be written.

honestly i think this manipulation should be allowed. theres nothing stopping anyone from trading against them...

as long as there is no nake shorts, i'm ok with it really, i don't like it, but i see no good reason to put rules where none are needed. the market will take care of this itself.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 04:00:18 PM

2 months for me... one to research it thoroughly to find out it wasn't a scam, and another to figure out how to actually obtain some, watching helplessly as the price went from $15 to over $60.

Yeah, 2 months is about average to thoroughly research Bitcoin. In fact, I'm still learning tidbits here and there.

I remember calling Gavin and theymos at least a couple of times to ask questions. Then wasting another month throwing out low ball bids on OTC that were laughable (embarrassingly low). Finally I said fuck it and plowed into mtgox.

it took me ~2-3 weeks as well, is this typical? probably not,

most poeple will first be aware of it but not put much thought into it, one day they will hear about it again, do some recreash, think about buying in, forget about it, repeat, actually start saving money to buy, watch market for weeks or months ( everyone thinks they can buy the low if they only sit there long enough ) and then finally buy when its clear that "its going UP!", these poeple comes in waves and they all buy at pretty much the same time, they can't help it, its in there nature, sheeple.

blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:11:04 PM

A day too early with the thread it seems  Undecided
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:11:05 PM

+1

do you believe there is some manipulation is taking place? how long can they keep this up?  how low will they make us go? are their tricks working for you, are you scared, are you selling!?

honestly i think this manipulation should be allowed. theres nothing stopping anyone from trading against them...

as long as there is no nake shorts, i'm ok with it really, i don't like it, but i see no good reason to put rules where none are needed. the market will take care of this itself.

I agree. Once we know these algorithms/tactics exist there is nothing stopping us from profiting. "Wall Street" needs to watch its back--there are no regulations in place to protect them this time and the big whales who have been in this market for years and hold a large percentage of coin are certainly not dumb and won't give it up easily.

That said everyone in this game has a vested interest in seeing bitcoin succeed, so I don't think they'll knock down the price enough to garner negative media attention.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:18:38 PM

it took me ~2-3 weeks as well, is this typical? probably not,

most poeple will first be aware of it but not put much thought into it, one day they will hear about it again, do some recreash, think about buying in, forget about it, repeat, actually start saving money to buy, watch market for weeks or months ( everyone thinks they can buy the low if they only sit there long enough ) and then finally buy when its clear that "its going UP!", these poeple comes in waves and they all buy at pretty much the same time, they can't help it, its in there nature, sheeple.

From when my husband told me about Bitcoin to when we invested was about a year.  Granted there was some crazy things going on in 2012 when we first heard about it and we really did not know how legal it was.  I initially thought it would be a good idea just to throw a few hundred in for "fun." But the greatest fear was not just throwing a little cash in, it was being associated with something that could cause us some legal harm.  Once we heard that there was going to be money laundering laws put into place we purchased then.  Of course we had more time to think about it and see the value in it by then.  It was still a risk buying in 2013 though.  The exchanges were not terribly secure and seemed rather "shady" in some ways.  

All that said, Risto is most likely right that this is the "bottom."  He is generally right. Wink  Glad to hear that this is the bottom for now.  I just hope that we do not have to wait too long for the next run up in price.  There are several things that hubby and I have delayed a little waiting for this next rally and I have a mission trip scheduled in a few months that I will need to spend some coins on.  But pulling any funds out of BTC seems a foolish thing to do knowing we are on the brink of another rally.  Oh well, I guess that is just the way it goes sometimes.  Undecided

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:23:19 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2014, 04:43:19 PM by oda.krell

(Preliminary remark: I usually avoid posting in self-moderated topics, but I'll make an exception this time. Let's see how this turns out.)

Not going to argue with the body of your post. Several valid points, though I continue to believe that predicting future price levels by simple extrapolation from the all-time price regression is extremely optimistic, and in all likelihood: too optimistic. Which doesn't change the main point you seem to make, similar to Devin Chow's point in his thread yesterday - that if you believed in the long-term potential of Bitcoin a week ago at $590, there's no need to panic sell now at $490.

That said, your title bears no causal (or even just argumentative) relation to the body of the post. And, non-surprisingly, it is proven wrong already, less than 24 hours later. Sometimes, technical causes take over in a market, and the fundamentals are on the backburner for a while. Now seems to be such a time, and it is perhaps best to prepare yourself for the (likely) effects of that.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
warpio

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:25:22 PM

I believe that the next one might carry us north of $10,000. The longer time we spend here, the more explosive it gets. The supermove from $2 to $266 (133x price appreciation) took 17 months. Extrapolate that with the starting point of $340 in 2014-4-11.

why do you ignore the very valid theory that the willybot manipulation was the main cause of most of the explosive growth up to $1200? And everything since then has been from people HODLing... it's very possible that the true price of BTC without manipulation should be still much lower than it currently is... I wouldn't bet the farm on it either way, I'm just saying...
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:33:11 PM

why do you ignore the very valid theory that the willybot manipulation was the main cause of most of the explosive growth up to $1200? And everything since then has been from people HODLing... it's very possible that the true price of BTC without manipulation should be still much lower than it currently is... I wouldn't bet the farm on it either way, I'm just saying...

Because it's not a "very valid" theory.
seljo
Legendary

Activity: 1178
Merit: 1014

Hodling since 2011.®

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:40:21 PM

I don't trust bold dudes with pink rolls...

Hodling since 2011.®
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 04:46:25 PM

We have a world-record number of Bitcoin pregnancies going on now, and hardly any births for several months already. I believe that the laws of nature and mathematics will take care that the babies will be seen in increasing numbers. Smiley

I'm calling triplets at least... Wink
Capt Drake

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:53:34 PM

I agree with the OP, but unfortunatly for me, I first heard of bitcoin in late 2012 and I didn't look up for more information or anything.
I remeber when the price was 300 BRL(+-150USD) and then I thought with myself, "oh, this is too expensive, and I need to deposit my money in the exchange? Too much work for this..."

Yeah, that's too bad ahahaha

I recover my concernment about bitcoin when the price exploded in november 2013, and then I started to read everything about it, but just started to invest in june. Sad
njcarlos

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:59:39 PM

rpietila still making stupid calls I see. And still, stuck on $10k+ (perhaps you've let your dream of $100k back in 2013 go?)

You're a delusional troll, and I'm not quite sure how people still give credence to your statements. You got lucky as an early adopter. Don't confuse that with thinking you actually know what the hell you're talking about.
An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 05:13:40 PM

Definately isnt sinking.
BuildTheFuture

Activity: 195

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 05:17:24 PM

There is some interesting fundamental data going on recently with the blockchain.info chart of Number of transactions excluding popular:

https://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions-excluding-popular?showDataPoints=false&timespan=2year&show_header=true&daysAverageString=7&scale=0&address=

Getting real close to taking out the March high. So it would seem usage/adoption is now solidly in a new upswing phase. Possibly due to Circle (WHEN am I getting my invite !?), and of course there are many other things springing up lately from ATMs, much new merchant adoption, etc.

Well so anyway, if this continues then price is going up.
Newbie1022

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 05:25:57 PM

This has to be the most illogical post I've ever read. It says nothing about deriving a bottom through technical analysis -- supposedly this guy's thing. Additionally, a further drop occurred in China below 2900 after he wrote it. Finally, there was some nonsense about "Bitcoin pregnancies"

I am going to go out on a limb and say that this isn't the bottom (unless people just seeing the title give it more credence then it deserves based on the utter lack of analysis).
bucktotal

Activity: 232

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 06:02:49 PM

This has to be the most illogical post I've ever read. It says nothing about deriving a bottom through technical analysis -- supposedly this guy's thing. Additionally, a further drop occurred in China below 2900 after he wrote it. Finally, there was some nonsense about "Bitcoin pregnancies"

I am going to go out on a limb and say that this isn't the bottom (unless people just seeing the title give it more credence then it deserves based on the utter lack of analysis).

to the confused posters (eg, above,, and oka.krell)

the argument is that the bottom was on Apr 11,2014...

if that was not the bottom, then the price will have to go below the price on Apr 11, 2014.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: