Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:28:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 [197] 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 ... 612 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [SDC] ShadowCash | Welcome to the UMBRA  (Read 1289610 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Wheatclove

Activity: 606
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 01:20:40 AM

Hey Peter Todd, wondering what you think about ShadowCash?  It seems pretty cool to me, but I am not nearly technical enough to completely understand the inner workings.  I only barely grasp the concepts they are using, but it sounds pretty revolutionary.

They just released their shadow send feature and white paper a couple weeks ago.  White paper here: http://shadow.cash/downloads/shadowcash-anon.pdf

Like stealth, I don't have the background to really understand the ring-signatures ShadowCash uses; I was contacted by ShadowCash to do an audit and deferred it to a cryptographer I know. They said the math looked to be a clone of Monero, done on top of Bitcoin. They were however potentially interested in doing an audit of the ring signatures idea to get a better idea of what kind of privacy it really gives people in practice - we'll see if they have the time to work on that further in the near future.

Best not to say more publicly than that given I just haven't done the research to really know.  Smiley

The phrase "clone of Monero" would incense Ryno Smiley Im sure SDC is not that (cryptonote)… waiting on your friend…

You guys are so stubborn.

Everyone who looks at it who understands this stuff at all (and I do somewhat, but I wouldn't put myself in the same category as a cryptographer referred by Peter Todd) says that is a clone of the cryptonote stealth address plus ring signature scheme, and then the same echo chamber here says "No, its not cryptonote!" As if that would even be a bad thing Huh

It's quite interesting to see.

Most people hardly understand what factors make a coin unique (admittedly, I am only self educated in the cryptocurrencies with not many hours spent teaching myself). A majority of the "echo chamber," as you put it, only know that Shadowcash is Shadowcash and therefore, by their logic, cannot also be Monero.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
00Smurf

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 01:57:51 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2015, 03:51:08 AM by 00Smurf

Well he stated that the "MATH" look to be a clone/copy of monero, meaning the math formulas. Converting maths into workeable code is where it gets hard. As its been stated numerous times in plenty of threads cryptonote is a completely seperate codebase then bitcoin, which means any parts of CN Maths that were implemented into shadow had to be coded from the ground up and is a unique implementation.

IIRC the CN devs said it would take years to implement any cryptonote tech into the bitcoin codebase. Ryno and technovert did it in 4 months.

Also as smooth pointed out having some based; on CN pieces under the hood isn't a bad thing.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:28:54 AM

Our research group implemented the math in python part time in a week or two.

https://github.com/monero-project/mininero
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:55:08 AM

Peter Todd invented stealth addresses.

I wouldn't say I "invented" stealth addresses; I'd say I designed stealth addresses......

Thanks for the clarification Peter. I don't understand the math behind ECC sigs at all, but the Coursera/Stanford Cryptography course starts again in a few days so I'm hoping that'll shed some light on the number-voodoo that makes all this possible. For anyone else who'd like to learn a bit more about crypto take a look - it's free and starts on the 5th.

https://www.coursera.org/course/crypto

Thanks for the link Seb! Definitely interested in a free crypto course offered by Stanford!
LongAndShort
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:24:09 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2015, 11:46:32 AM by LongAndShort

Hey Peter Todd, wondering what you think about ShadowCash?  It seems pretty cool to me, but I am not nearly technical enough to completely understand the inner workings.  I only barely grasp the concepts they are using, but it sounds pretty revolutionary.

They just released their shadow send feature and white paper a couple weeks ago.  White paper here: http://shadow.cash/downloads/shadowcash-anon.pdf

Like stealth, I don't have the background to really understand the ring-signatures ShadowCash uses; I was contacted by ShadowCash to do an audit and deferred it to a cryptographer I know. They said the math looked to be a clone of Monero, done on top of Bitcoin. They were however potentially interested in doing an audit of the ring signatures idea to get a better idea of what kind of privacy it really gives people in practice - we'll see if they have the time to work on that further in the near future.

Best not to say more publicly than that given I just haven't done the research to really know.  Smiley

The phrase "clone of Monero" would incense Ryno Smiley Im sure SDC is not that (cryptonote)… waiting on your friend…

You guys are so stubborn.

Everyone who looks at it who understands this stuff at all (and I do somewhat, but I wouldn't put myself in the same category as a cryptographer referred by Peter Todd) says that is a clone of the cryptonote stealth address plus ring signature scheme, and then the same echo chamber here says "No, its not cryptonote!" As if that would even be a bad thing Huh

It's quite interesting to see.

Its because this is what the core developer is telling us.

Why there is no reference to Cryptonote on whitepaper?
Zero Knowledge + ring signatures is nothing more than Cryptonote.
Shadowcash is just cloning Monero without giving its credits and lying that is creating something new and revolutionary.
And everyone here know it.

From cryptonote white paper:

https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf

You can't read the reference at the end of the WP ?

Cryptonote uses a different curve, different libraries, and a whole different underlying core.
We used ring signatures to spend Shadow, which is created by sending SDC as an anonymous output.
Our scheme is quite a bit different, in that we borrow concepts from zerocoin, with the minting and spending, and use ring signatures to make the inputs untraceable from the outputs.. We're also using PoS instead of PoW.
Its a completely unique scheme and implementation Smiley
skip60

Activity: 630
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 09:11:12 AM

I have worked with Blake (bitcoinprbuzz) in the past, he offers a great service. Im still waiting for someone from the sdc team to set up a donation address for PR. We could then try to save up for a premium press release.

It looks like a good idea...let's donate for I it

Trollysroyce, soepkip can we get your idea about it...?

Imho it would be best if one of the sdc team members can take a active role in making this happen. We have a small but very strong community that will happily donate for such a PR campaign, it just needs to be set up and managed by the right people. I'd be more then happy to help if the team is to busy. I just feel that its very important the donation address is held by someone the community can really trust, it will result in more people donating.

Here are some other ideas that could help create more awareness for shadowcash.

- setting up a thunderclap campaign (costs ~100USD) with very big results.
- creating a promotional video for sdc (animated video with voice over) ~3000USD. I know the guy that made the video for Checkcoin (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kToYtxFbXMY) he can make something simular for sdc in 1-2 weeks.
- using bitcoinprbuzz services to shoot a well written press release to some well known websites and media outlets.

If anyone has any other ideas please share them here. We can make a list and set up a threat on shadowtalk.org, this way people will know what they are donating for.

I like the Thunderclap and Bitcoinprbuzz ideas and would be willing to help contribute if we have a well written PR piece to distribute

Noone from coreteam has answered my question above

I also think it is a good idea, but as far as i see coreteam is not willing to do it...
rustynailer

Activity: 725
Merit: 501

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 09:45:55 AM

A bad decade for internet freedom.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2015/01/02/marni-soupcoff-a-bad-decade-for-internet-freedom/
dadon
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 10:07:33 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2015, 10:44:11 AM by dadon

what a coincidence some guy comes in here saying that he referred shadow to a cryptographer and they say it's a clone of monero and then after days of silence smooth pops up  Roll Eyes you make me laugh anyways carry on.
hitchcoin

Activity: 326
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 12:38:53 PM

I have worked with Blake (bitcoinprbuzz) in the past, he offers a great service. Im still waiting for someone from the sdc team to set up a donation address for PR. We could then try to save up for a premium press release.

Imho it would be best if one of the sdc team members can take a active role in making this happen. We have a small but very strong community that will happily donate for such a PR campaign, it just needs to be set up and managed by the right people. I'd be more then happy to help if the team is to busy. I just feel that its very important the donation address is held by someone the community can really trust, it will result in more people donating.

- creating a promotional video for sdc (animated video with voice over) ~3000USD. I know the guy that made the video for Checkcoin (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kToYtxFbXMY) he can make something simular for sdc in 1-2 weeks.
- using bitcoinprbuzz services to shoot a well written press release to some well known websites and media outlets.

If anyone has any other ideas please share them here. We can make a list and set up a threat on shadowtalk.org, this way people will know what they are donating for.

I like the Thunderclap and Bitcoinprbuzz ideas and would be willing to help contribute if we have a well written PR piece to distribute

I also think it is a good idea, but as far as i see coreteam is not willing to do it...

Have to agree here, someone from the sdc team (soepkip?) community manager please step up and set up a donation address so we can get to work! I'll open a topic om shadowtalk today and summerize some of the plans we feel might help create more awareness for shadow.
dadon
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 01:18:13 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2015, 02:02:54 PM by dadon

As i said like 3 days ago i will donate i asked someone here the other day to help me and got ignored, i think personally off the top of my head trust worthy people are childharold  longandshort fearcoca skip60 and a few others im too drunk to think of i would be happy to send coins to any of these people and would feel confident they were in good hands, so let me know, i said ages ago i would start a giveaway so im starting one now, if your up for it and have proven you are  here long term  trust worthy and committed like the names before mentioned speak up, i would do it but seriously don't have time (pregnant wife.. Lips sealed )
so yeah but...i think giving smaller amounts is a better idea and this is why, only 50% or less( most proably less) of people who receive free coins support the community most dump and buy whatever coin they want, so if i send 1000 SDC and you give 100 to 10 people you can almost bet 5 of those people will dump and be gone almost straight away never to be seen again the other 5( my estimates are examples)  will most probably see the wallet and the tech and buy more( SDC is cheap still )and join the community so wouldn't it be better to give 100 people 10 SDC?
that's 100 people who have to download the wallet to receive them and the wallet is impressive lets be honest, and so is the tech i think out of that 100 people at least 30 would stick around that's 30 new investors, 30 new community members, 30 new brains to contribute suggestions and ideas and also this is how distribution really spreads, 10 ain't much now , but SDC has a bright future,10 SDC maybe nothing at this moment in time but is 10 BTC nothing?
 at one point it was, if a few people kick in some coins and we keep the coins per person small we could add hundreds of long term investors to this community, lets be honest giveaways are not about generosity they are about exposure, and that is what we need, my 2 cents, oh and not only would i be willing to donate SDC for giveaway, will donate fiat for that shadow social network that uses aliases instead of real identity's ( like faceook but with aliases linked up to your shadow public key) i mentioned the other day to be built, i have a dream of a SDC wallet, with inbuilt market and social network as well as the encrypted communication and anonymous transactions, my dream for SDC is the ultimate liberty tech, a world changing product, that's what SDC could be, and we could all be a part of it, lets do it.
Edit..if a member of the dev team promises the Shadow social network will be built i will donate 1k fiat to get it started...if you do this game over, a anonymous currency, with encrypted communication(voice,video, messaging, file sharing) with a decentralized marketplace, and a private social network site all built into the wallet!!! now lets think, what is the audience who will be drawn to this( apart from individuals involved in black markets) journalists, whistle blowers, political activists, liberty lovers, celebrity's, sky is the limit for the possibility's(and market cap) just saying.
hitchcoin

Activity: 326

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 01:50:11 PM

I have just created a topic on shadowtalk:

http://shadowtalk.org/topic/318/sdc-promotion-topic

Now we wait for someone from the sdc team to back us up and set up the donation address.
Pline

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:52:06 PM

Btw, is cryptsy SDC wallet still frozen ?

Yeah its always frozen from what I can tell.  I wouldn't expect it back up anytime soon.  Maybe anywhere from 1 week to 5 weeks it might be fixed is my guess.  They said before SDC is not a priority.  Paycoin is their priority.  Maybe if we all sent support tickets and complained to Mullick, then they will fix it.  But I have about had it with Cryptsy.

00Smurf

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 04:24:29 PM

Yeah its always frozen from what I can tell.  I wouldn't expect it back up anytime soon.  Maybe anywhere from 1 week to 5 weeks it might be fixed is my guess.  They said before SDC is not a priority.  Paycoin is their priority.  Maybe if we all sent support tickets and complained to Mullick, then they will fix it.  But I have about had it with Cryptsy.

This is one reason I refuse to use cryptsy anymore.
00Smurf

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 04:26:54 PM

Have to agree here, someone from the sdc team (soepkip?) community manager please step up and set up a donation address so we can get to work! I'll open a topic om shadowtalk today and summerize some of the plans we feel might help create more awareness for shadow.

Yes, pls ! We need a trustworthy treasurer Wink I propose we wait another 48h. If not, we should run an election inside the community !

There has been a PR/Bounty Fund since the beginning. http://shadowtalk.org/topic/12/pr-bounty-fund/2

Its currently been at Zero for months.
00Smurf

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 04:28:21 PM

This is one reason I refuse to use cryptsy anymore.

What do you use then ?

Bittrex, Polo and yourstruly's exchange. Maybe c-cex on occasion for a new alt. BUt I haven't used c-cex since I bought SDC there in july,
00Smurf

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 04:40:05 PM

Yes, pls ! We need a trustworthy treasurer Wink I propose we wait another 48h. If not, we should run an election inside the community !

There has been a PR/Bounty Fund since the beginning. http://shadowtalk.org/topic/12/pr-bounty-fund/2

Its currently been at Zero for months.

The fund should be in BTCs, not SDCs. Most people won't accept SDCs yet.

yourstruly/blackwavelabs wrote the excoin exchange.
Pline

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 04:45:48 PM

What do you use then ?

I would use Bittrex.  They by far have the largest volume than any other exchange for SDC.  Their wallet seems to be working pretty good also.
child_harold

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:00:54 PM

Community,

I suggest we tip exclusively with shadowsend.

So those who wanna play with Shadow should create a new stealth address in their SDC wallets (v1.3.0.6, see OP) and submit those addys instead of SDC addys. Since dadon was kind enough to send me 100sdc earlier I will send these to my own stealth/shadow addy now (thus creating shadow tokens), and send Shadow to those who submit a stealth addy.

SO a Shadow>Shadow zero knowledge transaction…

Witness the power of the Shadow!

Here is my addy : smYoV2a7LHN4srLJdHJakmQysdgZzyHb6S5CAHR2t1fUAHo5kKs9x7BKZGurQU2K7Zhj6rMwuCRdGj5 sSJLDkCY3uL6wQ1tU1UeS5e  Wink

Done - a zero knowledge transaction…
http://shadow.blockexplorer.cc/tx/30bc188cc73f543148bc4f691cdb2a19f707b5ddd19b472d776b74dd26d17c9c

Welcome to Shadow

Who else wants some? Post a Shadow/Stealth addy to see the power of Shadow for yourself…

bump.
go to "receive" in ur wallet
click create new address
tick the stealth box
post the addy here
ill post the tx's.
you get some Shadow.

nobody but you will know how much…
and nobody at all will ever know from whom you received it, even you.

p.s. it's not me who will send you the shadow coins…  Cool

fearcoka
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:04:17 PM

Can everyone stop selling...

Just Nao Tomori and Bitcoin ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
fearcoka
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:42:34 PM

I think I have enough already...

Just Nao Tomori and Bitcoin ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Pages: « 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 [197] 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 ... 612 »
  Print  

Jump to: