Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:39:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Wallet should be suggested to a newbie?  (Read 4179 times)
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 12:54:02 PM

qt+password+zip+online backup

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinBadger

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 12:56:01 PM

Hi Everyone. I was wondering about your thoughts on which wallet you think can be suggested to newbies that can ensure a high level of safety. Armory is already considered but I would like to know everyones thoughts about any other wallet services...offline or online? Thanks.
There is no 100% security on any wallet unless you keep your system safe from the buggers.Many available wallets like blockchain,bitcoin core ,multi bit are the one people use the most
neha (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 01:39:07 PM

Bitgo and Hive look like another good options. Very easy to use. Thanks for the suggestions.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:37:11 PM
Last edit: September 06, 2014, 12:09:16 AM by odolvlobo

I am going play devil's advocate and suggest Coinbase  Cheesy

While you do not have control over the private keys, it really is very newbie-friendly.  The chances of Coinbase turning out to be a scam is a lot lower than a newbie making some kind of mistake and losing their coins

I'm pretty sure that Coinbase is not a scam, so that is not a risk. Also, their deposits are insured against theft, so that is not a risk.

However, there is a relatively high risk that Coinbase will go out out of business and you will lose your money. It's a start-up, and start-ups go bust all the time.

There is also a relatively high risk that someone will steal your password and drain your account. It happens frequently, and their insurance doesn't cover it.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
MoonTime

Activity: 96

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:11:07 PM

Blockchain.info , enable the two step authentication and limit login to specific IPs only.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:39:12 PM

I think Coinbase.com is the most natural fit for a newbie. There you can get comfortable with buying, selling, and holding BTC. After you get comfortable, you will probably realize that you want to be managing your own private keys, and will end up moving the majority of the coins to a different wallet. Coinbase is pretty much fool proof, so IMO it is the best place to start.

Trying to learn how to buy directly from an exchange, while having to do things to maintain your wallet separately can be overwhelming to someone new. You have to crawl before you ball.
Bonam

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:47:09 PM

I've used blockchain for ~2 years and no complaints with it. Works well, easy to use, excellent up time.
antibitcoinconsortium

Activity: 73

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:50:50 PM

if you are a truely good friend you dont suggest a wallet. you tell him to get out now before he lose all his money!
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:52:01 PM

While you do not have control over the private keys, it really is very newbie-friendly.  The chances of Coinbase turning out to be a scam is a lot lower than a newbie making some kind of mistake and losing their coins

I'm pretty sure that Coinbase is not a scam, so that is not a risk. Also, their deposits are insured against theft, so that is not a risk.

However, there is a relatively high risk that Coinbase will go out out of business and you lose will your money. It's a start-up, and start-ups go bust all the time.

There is also a relatively high risk that someone will steal your password and drain your account. It happens frequently, and their insurance doesn't cover it.

Yes, all this is true.   While new people hear the word "insurance" and think that everything is protected, it is Coinbase itself that is protected.   The one way that most people lose their coins (a compromised log in), is the one thing that is not covered.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:54:25 PM

I would suggest Blockchain for the simplicity and ease of use. Of course I would recommend the use of two factor authentication as well.
Fearless

Activity: 89

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:37:39 PM

Bitcoin-qt, blockchain.info and btc-e are some of the good ones. All of them offer A class security so you don't have to worry about hacker getting in and hacking database or your account being hijacked easily, unless your computer has virus.
neha (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 06:46:35 PM

Bitcoin-qt, blockchain.info and btc-e are some of the good ones. All of them offer A class security so you don't have to worry about hacker getting in and hacking database or your account being hijacked easily, unless your computer has virus.

The problem is that newbies dont understand the importance of wallets and then they loose their money due to some negligence and then blame the tech i.e. Bitcoin. Thus, Bitcoin-qt is out considering there is no way to retrieve the wallet if you loose your computer.

Blockchain.info and Bitgo looks good as a webwallet . Although Blockchain is older, bitgo provides more security. Hive and electrum both are good as a desktop wallet. Lastly, Armory is probably the best but requires some computer knowledge to make it work in the most secure way. Thus, I feel this should be good enough to recommend to newbies. Now just need some good explanatory videos about each, and we should good.

Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:49:53 PM

Multibit, quick and easy. I don't like having to download all of the blockchain and multibit solves this. I like the look of electrum but I've never tried it.

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
pajrinn

Activity: 234

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 02:01:57 AM

I'm newbi in crypto, and I use blockchain and bitcoin.co.id Smiley
I think blockchain and bitcoin.co.id safe enough Smiley
But this my opinion Smiley
LiberyOrDeath

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:05:57 AM

Hi Everyone. I was wondering about your thoughts on which wallet you think can be suggested to newbies that can ensure a high level of safety. Armory is already considered but I would like to know everyones thoughts about any other wallet services...offline or online? Thanks.

I think that the original btc wallet is as safe as it gets, Armory is hardcore stuff. If you want an easy interface use Electrum as others have suggested, but do not forget to  consider the options of paper wallets and brain wallet as well. These are the easiest and at least as secure as Armory.

Just my 2 satoshis worth.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 04:24:13 AM

I think that the original btc wallet is as safe as it gets, Armory is hardcore stuff. If you want an easy interface use Electrum as others have suggested, but do not forget to  consider the options of paper wallets and brain wallet as well. These are the easiest and at least as secure as Armory.

Just my 2 satoshis worth.

I have been using BTC for awhile, and Armory is still intimidating for me. A newbie should be able to use a trezor as well. I just said coinbase because you can do it all in one spot. With other wallets, you still need to buy the coins elsewhere.
master-P

Activity: 868

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 04:30:11 AM

However, there is a relatively high risk that Coinbase will go out out of business and you lose will your money. It's a start-up, and start-ups go bust all the time.

Yes, all this is true.   While new people hear the word "insurance" and think that everything is protected, it is Coinbase itself that is protected.   The one way that most people lose their coins (a compromised log in), is the one thing that is not covered.
Coinbase does offer many ways to protect your account (mainly 2FA) and warnings to users when their account is not employing a recommended level of security. They also offer a "vault" service that gives an additional level of security.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
gogxmagog
Legendary

Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 07:53:31 AM

If they are a true n00b then they should start by downloading the block chain with bitcoin- q, it will give them time to look into how the whole system works and an idea of how big it is.
If they must get in right away, download multibit. Get block chain wallet too. I always suggest they get as many wallets as they can. Then they can try them out and send btc around to themselves between the various clients. They are going to want to practice backing up and uploading private keys with small amounts of btc to get comfortable with it. When they can confidently move around btc and retrieve wallets from private keys they should go the armoury route. It is a little bit advanced but offers the most secure storage when done properly. Of course they will need the bitcoin-q first to instal armoury so hopefully they already did that.

Basically I compare it to learning to drive. You can drive automatic all your life, but it's better and safer to learn standard. Then you have more choice.
LancangDam

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 11:07:05 AM

I'm a newbie and i didn't choose my wallet too. Just download a bitcoin core client but that's all
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 11:24:26 AM

Yes, all this is true.   While new people hear the word "insurance" and think that everything is protected, it is Coinbase itself that is protected.   The one way that most people lose their coins (a compromised log in), is the one thing that is not covered.
Coinbase does offer many ways to protect your account (mainly 2FA) and warnings to users when their account is not employing a recommended level of security. They also offer a "vault" service that gives an additional level of security.
Interesting discussion.  I surprised that Coinbase are getting away with saying 'Coinbase insures all bitcoin held in online storage' on their homepage.  It is quite misleading when the main risk factors are not insured...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: