Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:04:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: satoshin@gmx.com is compromised  (Read 152222 times)
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 02:05:23 PM

Question is... how does a kid who is in high school, get doxed and continue screaming about his accomplishments... hack Satoshi.. *sips coffee*

The "forgot your password" security question on Satoshi's gmx email is "what day are you born". With no lockout mechanism for brute force attempts, 36500 possible answers for anyone alive, and given a bot that can guess even 5% of the captchas shown, it's no surprise that it was compromised by anyone determined.

There is no information in the site's TOS or documentation about unused accounts expiring, so this is the likely mechanism.

The site also reveals to anyone attempting to reset that the alternate email is  s******@v********.com
This is pretty piss-poor security, since it's obvious that s****** is satoshi and there are lists of free email providers, even ones from 5 years ago that have domains now expired or parked that could be bought and tried against the reset:
vahoo.com
varbizmail.com
vcmail.com
virtualactive.com
visitweb.com
visto.com
visualcities.com
vivavelocity.com
vjmail.com
vlmail.com
vote4gop.com
votenet.com
vr9.com

The reset email shown could be set by the current hacker, if it was previously s******@g****.com it would be even more obvious what else to compromise.

The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 02:14:02 PM

Question is... how does a kid who is in high school, get doxed and continue screaming about his accomplishments... hack Satoshi.. *sips coffee*

The "forgot your password" security question on Satoshi's gmx email is "what day are you born". With no lockout mechanism for brute force attempts, 36500 possible answers for anyone alive, and given a bot that can guess even 5% of the captchas shown, it's no surprise that it was compromised by anyone determined.

Unless there is a second factor authentication on the account..

Death

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 02:18:54 PM

lol its incredibly comforting to know the bitcoin community can counter-hack. but i think you guys have made your point. he's just a kid and nobody got hurt, let it go imo.
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 02:47:38 PM

Theymos should be the one to do it and forward that email he got

I'm probably not going to do that. Responding to a clearly fake threat with violence (via police/government) strikes me as wrong and excessive, especially when it's just some stupid kid.

He hasn't caused much harm as of yet. He didn't steal any bitcoins or release any sensitive info. (The screenshots didn't contain any useful info.) The worst he's done is convince some people to send him a little money. I advise restraint, especially since we don't know for sure whether this kid actually is the hacker. I haven't seen much evidence of that.

Basically Theymos doesn't want the feds on his door with all the dogy shit he's linked to

What's DOGE have to do with all this?

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 02:48:29 PM

^ kid did it. Found and Doxed. Greaterninga found hacker and put info out.
18 hour start to finish. Also had BCT member copy hackers ransom link and add his own address but got caught.

http://pastebin.de/125559

http://pastebin.ru/201cAY9S

But the question remains: did he get access to SN's real email account,
and did he discover his real identity? Is that known?

really?

#You no longer care about some punk kid#

We are talking about changing the world in a day. Let's all do: "Ideal Money".

It's a complete instruction set.

Please stop picking on people.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
Strawbtcerries

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 03:32:17 PM

LOl it was just a kid? did he really get satoshi email or just faked screenshots and how did they ddox him specifically?  Huh
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 04:07:23 PM

LOl it was just a kid? did he really get satoshi email or just faked screenshots and how did they ddox him specifically?  Huh

We arent 100% sure but maybe, any determined person with low intelligence coulda hacked it. It wasnt even hacking just guessing the birthdate.
X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 04:29:40 PM

lol its incredibly comforting to know the bitcoin community can counter-hack. but i think you guys have made your point. he's just a kid and nobody got hurt, let it go imo.

Although I agree completely with non violence - In this isolated event (If it is this kid in question) he should have some sort of ramification for his actions. Stating that his age some how made him exempt of his action to me is remiss. To forcefully hack your way into someones email account and then use that account to try to extort the community by threats is not something which should go unnoticed.

As you said, this community is no fucking joke. More white hats here than a wizard cosplay for lord of the rings lol

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
slaveforanunnak1

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 04:52:48 PM

Although I agree completely with non violence - In this isolated event (If it is this kid in question) he should have some sort of ramification for his actions. Stating that his age some how made him exempt of his action to me is remiss. To forcefully hack your way into someones email account and then use that account to try to extort the community by threats is not something which should go unnoticed.

As you said, this community is no fucking joke. More white hats here than a wizard cosplay for lord of the rings lol

AHAHHAHAHAHAHA that made my day!
wooder

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 04:56:18 PM

I don't really understand this anxiety to find out who SN is: in my opinion anyone with an average knownledge on cryptocurrency and e-cash understands that there is 75% chance that Satoshi Nakamoto is Nick Szabo... And who cares, really?

As I wrote years ago:

It is painfully obvious that Nick is one of the main (if not THE main) inspirators of Satoshi's work. Nick is the inventor of the "smart contracts" concept and he developed extensive work on blockchain-like decentralized ledgers; his bit-gold is simply "bitcoin beta", but he is not even cited as a reference on the Bitcoin whitepaper, and Satoshi NEVER commented/posted on Szabo's work - the only plausible reason for such ommission is OPSEC/compartimentalization (never mix your pseudonym with your real identity). Similarly, Szabo never wrote about Bitcoin, despite it is clearly the system he has been writing about from 1996 to 2005. Every question to Szabo about BTC was duly ignored until the pressure was so high that he was forced to write a short post dismissing being SN with vague statments, but the truth is that he never really wrote/commented about Bitcoin, even if it is the obvious realization of years of his work. Additionally, the last paper on e-currency he wrote was published in 2005, and his very last comment on that matter (which was the central part of his work for at least 9 years) was published on his blog in 2008, shortly before the bitcoin paper was published.

Add to that the extreme similarities in their writing style, political views, etc. - and you have a match.

Again: who cares? Do we need a hacker to know that Szabo Nick is (very likely) Satoshi Nakamoto? No, we just need to read Szabo's work and the Bitcoin whitepaper Smiley...

But as no one knows who "Szabo Nick" is and no picture of him exists, you just replace the pseudonym "Satoshi Nakamoto" with another pseudonym ...
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 05:08:39 PM

Have not faced that kind of problem yet. Shocked Shocked

xDan

Activity: 688
Merit: 500

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 05:19:41 PM

I don't really understand this anxiety to find out who SN is: in my opinion anyone with an average knownledge on cryptocurrency and e-cash understands that there is 75% chance that Satoshi Nakamoto is Nick Szabo...
You know what also convinces me he is Satoshi? His Twitter account. He seems just as elusive and focussed solely on the pursuit of knowledge. At the least they are very similar personalities. (Though that might be a given at that level of knowledge.)

But as no one knows who "Szabo Nick" is and no picture of him exists, you just replace the pseudonym "Satoshi Nakamoto" with another pseudonym ...
False identity within false identity!

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
traincarswreck

Activity: 532
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 06:10:44 PM

I don't really understand this anxiety to find out who SN is: in my opinion anyone with an average knownledge on cryptocurrency and e-cash understands that there is 75% chance that Satoshi Nakamoto is Nick Szabo...
You know what also convinces me he is Satoshi? His Twitter account. He seems just as elusive and focussed solely on the pursuit of knowledge. At the least they are very similar personalities. (Though that might be a given at that level of knowledge.)

False identity within false identity!
He would be the world's greatest internet troll!

Also seems that wei dai is false identity within the satoshi false identity.

Is this interesting?

Start at:
54:03

Watch for:
54:28 and the double take 54:32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXIfhJ36Iw

Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 07:02:05 PM

One things for sure, If Satoshi is a dude, his nuts have to be seriously hurting due to the constant swinging from most of you Wink
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 09:37:18 PM

I don't really understand this anxiety to find out who SN is: in my opinion anyone with an average knownledge on cryptocurrency and e-cash understands that there is 75% chance that Satoshi Nakamoto is Nick Szabo... And who cares, really?

As I wrote years ago:

It is painfully obvious that Nick is one of the main (if not THE main) inspirators of Satoshi's work. Nick is the inventor of the "smart contracts" concept and he developed extensive work on blockchain-like decentralized ledgers; his bit-gold is simply "bitcoin beta", but he is not even cited as a reference on the Bitcoin whitepaper, and Satoshi NEVER commented/posted on Szabo's work - the only plausible reason for such ommission is OPSEC/compartimentalization (never mix your pseudonym with your real identity). Similarly, Szabo never wrote about Bitcoin, despite it is clearly the system he has been writing about from 1996 to 2005. Every question to Szabo about BTC was duly ignored until the pressure was so high that he was forced to write a short post dismissing being SN with vague statments, but the truth is that he never really wrote/commented about Bitcoin, even if it is the obvious realization of years of his work. Additionally, the last paper on e-currency he wrote was published in 2005, and his very last comment on that matter (which was the central part of his work for at least 9 years) was published on his blog in 2008, shortly before the bitcoin paper was published.

Add to that the extreme similarities in their writing style, political views, etc. - and you have a match.

Again: who cares? Do we need a hacker to know that Szabo Nick is (very likely) Satoshi Nakamoto? No, we just need to read Szabo's work and the Bitcoin whitepaper Smiley...

Well there is one, from 1997: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BldQ7P2CEAAbtQm.png:large

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
xDan

Activity: 688
Merit: 500

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 10:29:43 PM

Looks a little like Gavin....  Grin

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
CryptoDomains

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 11:24:07 PM

You sure that is him, that looks to be either a socially awkward person or one of those people who look as if they always just smelled a fart.

Real party guy I bet lol

Bill Bisco

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 11:55:16 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2014, 12:07:07 AM by Bill Bisco

I've seen that picture before and again I ask

1.  Where does it come from?
2.  How do we know for sure that it's Nick Szabo?

BTC: 1PVqE4eM8uBJ7Xb9rCsCLajp5YSi6p8oQ6
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 12:15:06 AM

I don't know. All I know is it was linked from this page: http://dave.liberty.me/2014/05/02/who-is-satoshi-nakamoto/ with this statement regarding it: "**edit – 6/7/2014 – a picture of Nick Szabo at a 1997 conference has since surfaced (via Adrian Chen)". Don't shoot the messenger  Smiley

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
traincarswreck

Activity: 532
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 12:35:09 AM

I don't know. All I know is it was linked from this page: http://dave.liberty.me/2014/05/02/who-is-satoshi-nakamoto/ with this statement regarding it: "**edit – 6/7/2014 – a picture of Nick Szabo at a 1997 conference has since surfaced (via Adrian Chen)". Don't shoot the messenger  Smiley
with all my searching that is all the reference I could find.  Although I'm not too good at this kind of thing.  Funny to think about the power of the community in this regard, although not for uncovering szabo or satoshi, since the most powerful probably wouldn't do it.

It would be an incredible story if it were Nash or if he were a significant player.  

But that man in that picture looks like a BOSS!  Looks like he could dismantle a government with 10 lines of code.  It would also be quite interesting if he was Szabo, reminds me of an irl Bruce Banner.

It would be quite surprising to me, and I would be just as happy to know it were Szabo, some random dude no one otherwise knows in the general public sphere.  However I cannot comprehend the coincidences between Szabo, Satoshi, and Nash's works.   There are very few people in the history of man that have a such a wholistic view to produce such knowledge.  Szabo's blog seems like random posts about random subjects, but if you really read it wholistically and understand the different directions in points to, the person behind them has an extensive understanding of the history of man up until present day and future technologies and social systems.

I can't help but think the information presented and alluded to in the szabo blog would take a lifetime to accumulate.  

Szabo also backhandedly (not sure if correct word) solved many previously known but unsolved "problems" that really needed bitcoin to solidify them as proofs.  He sort of "metaphorically" slid in solutions without presenting them in an academic form.  And this is why I understand bitcoin to be a unifying solution, once the person had the concept of "bitcoin" all of a sudden they could privately run around "solving" all sorts of problems previously thought not solvable.  Law, programming, economics, cryptology, quantum physics, quantum computing, history, archeology, and who knows what else.  

My understanding is "someone" has pretty much won every academic award out there...

I seems really clear to me if someone has read the majority of Szabo's blog, it is a past/present/future account of everything that has to do with bitcoin and it was started in 1995.  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: