Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:59:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What would speed up confirmation time?  (Read 1500 times)
9kv (OP)

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

Learning

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 01:38:28 AM

What is the factor that would speed up time for a single transaction to get a single confirmation the most? Difficulty? Number of miners? Gh/s? etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
9kv (OP)

Learning

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 01:46:22 AM

We would need an ever increasing global hash rate (so it constantly outpaces the difficulty adjustment which aims for 10 minute blocks).

Why do confirmation times need sped up?
Ah, I see. That's what I was thinking - it would increase ahead of the difficulty every time.

The difficulty should be something a lot lower, imho - I know it would increase the size of the blockchain but other "minimal" wallets like Electrum would be fine.

The reason being so is that it's near-impossible to pay for anything with Bitcoin in the real world without a fear of doublespending.

Right now Bitcoin is happily confined to a digital prison.

Cyrax89721

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 02:29:37 AM

Well I'm sure you can agree along with everyone else that the occasional 1+ hour blocks are mildly irritating when you're waiting for a few confirmations to process.
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1073

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 02:42:16 AM

Either bigger and bigger hashrate or less blockchain transactions.

No other option for Bitcoin

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 02:53:01 AM

Paying a higher fee.

Really, this question has been done to death. The block finding probability that gives us an average one block per 10 minutes is a good compromise between speed of payment processing and the risks of orphans and wasted mining security.

Credit card payments don't really end up in the seller's account until the end of the month, and aren't really secure for the 180 days that someone can make a chargeback. Bank wire transmissions cost a lot more, take days, and still can be revoked. Bitcoin transfers money permanently, and faster than you can drive to the 7-11 and buy milk for cash, for a fee less than a tenth of anything else. Only fiat cash is faster, and then you still have to go meet a person to give them the paper.
charlieSeen

Activity: 241

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 04:10:23 AM

What is the factor that would speed up time for a single transaction to get a single confirmation the most? Difficulty? Number of miners? Gh/s? etc.

None of the above. You need to include a higher TX fee if you want the TX to confirm in a short amount of time (as measured by number of blocks until the TX is confirmed).
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 01:04:52 PM

What is the factor that would speed up time for a single transaction to get a single confirmation the most?
Wrong question. I think you really want to know how to make it safer to accept zero confirmations. Having nodes relay (as flagged) double-spend attempts would be one way.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
9kv (OP)

Learning

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 03:24:59 PM

What is the factor that would speed up time for a single transaction to get a single confirmation the most?
Wrong question. I think you really want to know how to make it safer to accept zero confirmations. Having nodes relay (as flagged) double-spend attempts would be one way.
Yeah, that's what I specifically mean.
LetsMakeItBTC

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 03:31:42 PM

Honestly I think people is way too concerned about this. As soon as you see the payment has been done, and it's being processed in the blockchain, then who cares if it takes one hour to confirm? nothing will go wrong, as soon as the money is sent on the correct address you are set.
9kv (OP)

Learning

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 04:18:40 PM

Honestly I think people is way too concerned about this. As soon as you see the payment has been done, and it's being processed in the blockchain, then who cares if it takes one hour to confirm? nothing will go wrong, as soon as the money is sent on the correct address you are set.
"nothing will go wrong"
Except double spending?
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 04:20:35 PM

This is problem for programmers, common people can just only look and discuss, eventually give suggestions Smiley
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 04:22:00 PM

What is the factor that would speed up time for a single transaction

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 06:02:39 PM

"nothing will go wrong"
Except double spending?

No, including double spending. Bitcoin was designed to prevent double spending, and I have no idea why you are even worrying about it because it won't happen.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 07:19:03 PM
Last edit: September 13, 2014, 03:10:58 PM by DannyHamilton

Code:
+----------+
|  PLEASE  |
|  DO NOT  |
| FEED THE |
|  TROLLS  |
+----------+
    |  |  
    |  |  
  .\|.||/..

I will buy a member account (60 activity or higher).
I am buying $75 BTC (current preev rate as of August 9: 0.1272) for $77 PayPal.
I will exchange my 95 Paypal for bitcoin at preev rate.
Right now I wouldn't even dream of paying with Bitcoin for anything but large transactions online.
There is no simple way to pay with bitcoins for a $4 purchase at a convenience store.
Confirmations need to be quicker as well.
I've shoplifted smaller items in the past than $3...
When there are real uses for bitcoin I think it will finally stabilize.
Bitcoin needs to have an easier time in the real world or else it will remain confined to a small portion of the population.
My proposal for this is to have an option (default value: true) on each transaction to get the geolocation of each IP (Country only) and put that in the txn hash.
What is the factor that would speed up time for a single transaction to get a single confirmation
dankkk

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 07:22:08 PM

"nothing will go wrong"
Except double spending?
Nodes are setup so to reject any transaction that contains an input that has already been spent, including inputs that are spent on an unconfirmed transaction. In other words if you try to double spend your bitcoin the 2nd transaction will get rejected by the network.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: