Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:54:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: (OLD) BFGMiner: modular FPGA/GPU, GBT, Stratum, RPC, Avalon/Lnx/OpnWrt/PPA/W64  (Read 259837 times)
witherworth

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 01:55:40 AM

I recently switched away from using Phoenix which I'd been using since GUI miner had some issues connecting for a lot of people. I'm the type of person that finds something that works and sticks with it. However, needing to prepare for some new FPGAs and ASICs, I needed to upgrade my mining software. As a test, I put it on my desktop first to play around with, and I noticed a slight performance increase, but I waived it off as a fluke. After I set it up remotely on my dedicated rack, however, I figured out that I got a decently significant increase in performance. Im currently running at 10% faster than with Phoenix, but it'll vary from 5%-15% faster. So, I'm please to say that I've found a new miner. I also like tr fact I can make changes to my mining program without having to stop and restart the process. It makes testing (and saving) different settings really easily. So, a big thanks, and job well done!
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 02:17:58 AM

I recently switched away from using Phoenix which I'd been using since GUI miner had some issues connecting for a lot of people. I'm the type of person that finds something that works and sticks with it. However, needing to prepare for some new FPGAs and ASICs, I needed to upgrade my mining software. As a test, I put it on my desktop first to play around with, and I noticed a slight performance increase, but I waived it off as a fluke. After I set it up remotely on my dedicated rack, however, I figured out that I got a decently significant increase in performance. Im currently running at 10% faster than with Phoenix, but it'll vary from 5%-15% faster. So, I'm please to say that I've found a new miner. I also like tr fact I can make changes to my mining program without having to stop and restart the process. It makes testing (and saving) different settings really easily. So, a big thanks, and job well done!
The GPU mining and API are copied from cgminer - he didn't write them Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
purelithium

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 12:30:08 AM

And then improved upon...

Like my post? 1H7bfRYh7F89mfmFgsRCdn4awDaUHQmYqY
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 03:24:42 AM

LJR's advertisement campaign was that he was the one who added FPGA support into CGMiner. Kano is specifically pointing out the GPU and API portions of BFGminer, which were copied from CGMiner. IIRC, LJR hasn't touched those areas of his clone BFGminer all that much, if at all.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 04:05:06 AM

LJR's advertisement campaign was that he was the one who added FPGA support into CGMiner. Kano is specifically pointing out the GPU and API portions of BFGminer, which were copied from CGMiner. IIRC, LJR hasn't touched those areas of his clone BFGminer all that much, if at all.
Let's not have an argument where there isn't one. With regard to the OpenCL driver and RPC API, there is little different in BFGMiner.
Not to dismiss the bugfixes and minor improvements that are there (or the many driver-independent improvements and fixes), but the bulk of this code is still Con (OCL) / Kano (RPC) as-is.

joinmicah

Activity: 81
Merit: 16

Crypto-Commodities are the People's Money!

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 02:26:20 PM

No answer regarding the big I found with the GH/S showing instead of KH/S?
RoboCoder

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2013, 05:01:26 PM

I was curious - have you received an asic from any of the companies that plan to release them for use in adding support to BFGMiner or specs at least?
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 06:43:41 PM

I was curious - have you received an asic from any of the companies that plan to release them for use in adding support to BFGMiner or specs at least?
Haven't received any yet, but will be receiving boards from Butterfly Labs, ASICMINER, and bASIC when they're ready.
Avalon and Deepbit don't seem interested in third-party development this time around, so support for those will likely depend on someone else donating a device or maintaining the code.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 10:08:12 PM

Haven't received any yet, but will be receiving boards from Butterfly Labs, ASICMINER, and bASIC when they're ready.
Avalon and Deepbit don't seem interested in third-party development this time around, so support for those will likely depend on someone else donating a device or maintaining the code.
Avalon have Xiangfu doing it.
Avalon comes with cgminer in it, since it is a complete computer, not just a mining device.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 10:03:19 PM

Unless there was a change, bASIC is out ... gonne ... hasta la vista, baby!
There has been numerous changes; I'm not ruling bASIC out of the game just yet.

mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 12:37:07 PM

Yesterday, I changed my bfgminer from an fairly old version to 2.10.2. Now I have the problem that the GPU miner just stops hashing. One GPU thread is on WAIT and the other one is doing a few kh/s. When I stop bfgminer and start it again, it starts hashing again with both threads in the Mh/s area. Pool is eligius.st (getblocktemplate), intensity is 11.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 01:12:34 PM

Yesterday, I changed my bfgminer from an fairly old version to 2.10.2. Now I have the problem that the GPU miner just stops hashing. One GPU thread is on WAIT and the other one is doing a few kh/s. When I stop bfgminer and start it again, it starts hashing again with both threads in the Mh/s area. Pool is eligius.st (getblocktemplate), intensity is 11.
Which version were you using before? WAIT means it's waiting on new work from the miner core, which suggests the work producing thread is getting stuck somehow. Can you make a debug log?
Code:
bfgminer all your options first --debuglog 2>debug.log
It would also be helpful to try versions in between (start with half way in between) to narrow down the range of changes that could be responsible.

Thistled

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 04:01:32 PM

Hey Luke-Jr

Any idea why I can't log on to bitminter using stratum?
I am trying to connect using:
stratum+tcp://mint.bitminter.com:3333/
and all I get in return is
"No servers were found that could be used to get work from"

I initially tried bfgminer-2.10.* but Doc Haribo says try it with 2.9.* as it worked for him.
purelithium

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 04:52:54 PM

Try using http instead of stratum+tcp. It's worked for me for other pools.

Thistled

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 05:03:50 PM

Would that be http with port 3333?
mezzomix
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 06:03:09 PM

Which version were you using before?

It was one of the early 2.9 versions. Unfortunately I just deleted the old version after the new version started to work.

WAIT means it's waiting on new work from the miner core, which suggests the work producing thread is getting stuck somehow. Can you make a debug log?
Code:
It would also be helpful to try versions in between (start with half way in between) to narrow down the range of changes that could be responsible.

Is there something indicator that I can search for in the log? Typically it runs for several hours until the mining tasks stop working.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 06:06:35 PM

WAIT means it's waiting on new work from the miner core, which suggests the work producing thread is getting stuck somehow. Can you make a debug log?
Code:

Is there something indicator that I can search for in the log? Typically it runs for several hours until the mining tasks stop working.
If I knew that, I wouldn't need to get a debug log Smiley

purelithium

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 08:43:04 PM

Would that be http with port 3333?

exactly.

mezzomix
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 09:53:46 PM

Code:

There is no error in the log, but it seems that the GPU clock and voltages is sometimes going down and in the end it stays low. Seems to be a power management problem. I already set DPMS to false in my xorg.conf but there must be other power managent switches to keep the GPU running at full speed.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:00:04 PM

Code:

There is no error in the log, but it seems that the GPU clock and voltages is sometimes going down and in the end it stays low. Seems to be a power management problem. I already set DPMS to false in my xorg.conf but there must be other power managent switches to keep the GPU running at full speed.
Does it work fine if you disable --auto-gpu and --auto-fan? Finding the first version with this problem is probably crucial...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: