Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 04:33:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Block Erupter Prisma (>=1.4 T/device, 0.75-0.78 W/G, <1 BTC/T, October Shipping)  (Read 107986 times)
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 8295

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 09:43:05 PM

can anyone answer ?

I can guess that you'll be able to squeeze a Prisma onto a 1000W, but its a guess. And yes, Chinese holiday atm.

You probably could squeeze it onto a 1000W supply but your efficiency would suffer.  The problem you might run into here is that the Raidmax is a quad-rail design with 36A max available per 12V rail so you really only have 912W.  You might wreck the PSU on a Prisma.  It should be okay with a Tube though.  My worst tube is 935 at the wall on an 80+ gold.

I'm using 120V

Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 09:43:22 PM

can the prisma be underclocked a little ?

Guessing, yes. There would be no reason not.

It's already an under clocked Tube with more chips and and a cheaper price.
stompysteve

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 02:12:52 AM

can anyone answer ?
I've not read the entire thread, but there is currently a Chinese holiday happening.  This may be why you've not heard.

Cheers.
then after that
Golden Week, China’s biggest national holiday, spans seven days in October and usually between October 1 and October 7.

maybe thats why it starts shipping the 7th lol
Master One

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Wanna buy a Tesla? Visit TeslaBargain.com first!

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 10:59:17 AM

A set up Prismas is still tempting, though I have to run the maths again, but:

Is anyone (maybe friedcat?) working on a proper image with cgminer and web-GUI for Raspberry PI or similar device (still not sure, if a Raspberry PI is suitable or not due to USB limitations?)?

The Prisma may be a very interesting device, but bare bone and having to reinvent the wheel with an own control unit is not really user friendly, and as mentioned before, I don not even consider that buggy/limited ethernet controller.

I'm not a programmer/developer and I don't have enough time neither, so if anything concerning that matter is going on / in the works please let me know, as it would definitely influence my purchase decision.

Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 08:42:51 PM

...Is anyone (maybe friedcat?) working on a proper image with cgminer and web-GUI for Raspberry PI...

First post:
...Also, we added cgminer support on Raspberry PI...

...The hashing units are driven by ethernet controllers. It can also be driven by cgminer on Raspberry PI.
Each ethernet controller or Raspberry PI can run up to 32 units...

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
vortexz
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:59:03 PM

why is everyone complaining about the controllers ? i don't get it ?
how bad could it be ?
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:32:03 PM

how bad could it be ?

As long as you want to use ghash.io, mmpool or btcguild... Nothing.
It doesn't play well with others Wink. Also, the GUI is shitty.
vortexz
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:44:28 PM

I asked them if I can run the prismas on nicehash.com and they said "yes"
I hope they told me the truth because I don't like ghash, i want to use nicehash.

maybe i can use it on nicehash with the raspberry pi instead of the controller ?
MichaelBliss

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:46:39 PM

I asked them if I can run the prismas on nicehash.com and they said "yes"
I hope they told me the truth because I don't like ghash, i want to use nicehash.

I could be wrong, but I think for that you may need the Raspberry Pi.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:48:02 PM

how bad could it be ?

I guess thats the whole point regarding AM's strategy. You get robust high density miners, DYO style, then if peps are not happy with them please feel free to do something about what you believe to be improvable. Thats what i would expect when they called for crowsourcing the design etc.. They got a massive amount of chip to unload, the rest depends on you/the community. Plus, it seems there would be some sort of bounty for each improvement too. Could be wrong but clearly AM's positioning is not the same as spongedoo, bitfury, or even bitmain.
vortexz
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:53:43 PM

should this raspberry pi b+ be enough to run 4x prismas ?

http://www.adafruit.com/product/1914
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 11:08:26 PM

how bad could it be ?

I guess thats the whole point regarding AM's strategy. You get robust high density miners, DYO style, then if peps are not happy with them please feel free to do something about what you believe to be improvable. Thats what i would expect when they called for crowsourcing the design etc.. They got a massive amount of chip to unload, the rest depends on you/the community. Plus, it seems there would be some sort of bounty for each improvement too. Could be wrong but clearly AM's positioning is not the same as spongedoo, bitfury, or even bitmain.

Well their strategy was to forgo mining and the manufacture of miners altogether.  They planned on chip sales alone but a couple of things happened (chip design issues, difficulty rise) which derailed their plan.  The miners are plan "C" I believe or possibly plan "D" which comes after the "franchise" fail.  The open sourcing was a Hail Mary to save money, save face and get something to market fast.
That's just my guy feeling.  Looking forward to the next gen with AM's lessons learned.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 11:25:51 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2014, 11:39:44 PM by hdbuck

how bad could it be ?

Well their strategy was to forgo mining and the manufacture of miners altogether.  They planned on chip sales alone but a couple of things happened (chip design issues, difficulty rise) which derailed their plan.  The miners are plan "C" I believe or possibly plan "D" which comes after the "franchise" fail.  The open sourcing was a Hail Mary to save money, save face and get something to market fast.
That's just my guy feeling.  Looking forward to the next gen with AM's lessons learned.

From its inception AM has include all bitcoiners. Whether stakeholders, shareholder or developer. It is indeed a hard battle that is going on, but i would assume they just dont have enough time if not ressources to get it all nicely packed before falling straight into our laps. We need companies like AM as much as they need us. Prices are low, quality is good, ethics has been flawless and products are in stock. At some point we need to give them a hand/break (^^) instead of complaining, thats all im saying.

edit: so i would also gladly be tipping anyone making some nice work done for AM at this point. cmon guys its time we roll up our sleeves. lets beat that competition! Anyone up for a badass GUI?! Cheesy
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 11:47:08 PM

how bad could it be ?

Well their strategy was to forgo mining and the manufacture of miners altogether.  They planned on chip sales alone but a couple of things happened (chip design issues, difficulty rise) which derailed their plan.  The miners are plan "C" I believe or possibly plan "D" which comes after the "franchise" fail.  The open sourcing was a Hail Mary to save money, save face and get something to market fast.
That's just my guy feeling.  Looking forward to the next gen with AM's lessons learned.

From its inception AM has include all bitcoiners. Whether stakeholders, shareholder or developer. It is indeed a hard battle that is going on, but i would assume they just dont have enough time if not ressources to get it all nicely packed before falling straight into our laps. We need companies like AM as much as they need us. Prices are low, quality is good, ethics has been flawless and products are in stock. At some point we need to give them a hand/break (^^) instead of complaining, thats all im saying.

edit: so i would also gladly be tipping anyone making some nice work done for AM at this point. cmon guys its time we roll up our sleeves. lets beat that competition! Anyone up for a badass GUI?! Cheesy

Honestly the controller was really bad, but now that they have a way to add USB to the miners...problem solved. The Prisma with the now added USB is pretty much the best deal out there. I would say that yes SP-Tech and Bitmain sell a much nicer packaged miner, but all that matters is price. I have yet to see anything from SP-T that would ever make a positive ROI, and the newer Bitmain stuff is also over priced.
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:00:02 AM

Not up to doing it myself, but minepeon would be the ideal GUI solution I would think.

Quite a few companies including sp-tech use it as the basis for their web interface.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:58:15 AM

I guess thats the whole point regarding AM's strategy. ... They got a massive amount of chip to unload, the rest depends on you/the community.

Still lots of chips to unload? Also the community owns nothing to AM. It's their job to get their stuff right.

unrealistic

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 04:33:29 AM

So this is really underclocked tube, nothing new in the unit ?
vortexz
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 05:06:32 AM

how bad could it be ?

Honestly the controller was really bad, but now that they have a way to add USB to the miners...problem solved. The Prisma with the now added USB is pretty much the best deal out there. I would say that yes SP-Tech and Bitmain sell a much nicer packaged miner, but all that matters is price. I have yet to see anything from SP-T that would ever make a positive ROI, and the newer Bitmain stuff is also over priced.

what is the use of the USB ? for raspberry pi ?
Master One

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Wanna buy a Tesla? Visit TeslaBargain.com first!

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 06:11:01 AM

So what's necessary to get MinePeon working with Prisma? Just the appropriate USB driver for Prisma, and where to get it?

How many Prismas could possibly be connected to one control unit running MinePeon?

It really comes down to the control unit, if the Prisma is a go or no-go.

vortexz
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:21:44 AM

I have 10 prismas coming soon to me.
Can anyone help me to get ready to set them up ?
what is the USB port for ?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: