Bitcoin Forum
December 04, 2016, 02:09:58 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Savings and Trust is probably a Ponzi Scheme: A Petition  (Read 24211 times)
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 04:48:36 AM

So, referring back to the OP, what was the count of those that agreed BS&T is a ponzi?  It's at least 5 (out of 55000 members).  Even Ross Perot polled 18.9%.

This might not be completely accurate, but here's what I've seemed to find in this thread:

Ponzi:
nrd525
MarketNeutral
terrytibbs
Maged
theymos
JoelKatz
Matthew N. Wright
P4man
curious
Sukrim

Not a ponzi:
bitlane
ineededausername
PatrickHarnett
coin_toss
reeses
exahash
Otoh
psy
Tomatocage
sadpandatech

Neutral:
Meni Rosenfeld
jcpham
cytokine

Unknown (leaning towards not a ponzi):
hashking
BurtW
imsaguy
znort987
splatster
johnthedong
farfiman
miscreanity
ShadowAlexey
Chaang Noi (Goat) ช้างน้อย

Unknown (leaning towards ponzi):
pekv2

So, out of the people that had some kind of opinion, approximately 30.5% of posters here believe that it is a ponzi, 61.1% think it's not, and 8.3% are neutral.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 05:04:27 AM

Wow, that took some counting. 

By the way Imsa, I'm not sure it's not a ponzi, it's that I don't have a reason to believe it is one.  It might still be, I don't know for definite.  Certainly when I opened my account five months ago I considered it, but the concern most people have is if it simply disappears (ponzi or not). 

Maybe it's simply a good way to channel presidential campaign funds - vote Palin - the world needs a good laugh.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1386

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2012, 06:10:03 AM

To be a bit more precise about my position, I don't think it's a Ponzi because it doesn't fit the pattern of a Ponzi very well -- at least, not yet. However, I cannot imagine anything legitimate that it could possibly be.

Update: Also, I can't imagine it being wise to invest in something when you have absolutely no basis on which to estimate the level of risk involved.

I am an employee of Ripple.
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Blitz­
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1596

"Cut Your Loose"

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 09:40:55 AM

Woah Maged, I don’t want to be on record having explicitely said it is not a ponzi. Put me in the unknown camp that leans towards not ponzi. I pretty much share the opinion Patrick and Joel just expressed in the last two posts.

I would never recommend anyone to invest with him since even if it is not a ponzi, it might be risky, or invest in anything for that matter, not even Bitcoins.

Everyone should make his own bets, and my personal bet right now remains the same, though it might change as I continue evaluating things.

"Bitcoin had been transformed from an anarachistic challenge to the financial status quo, to the crypto spawn of Satan, fuelled by cut-throat greed and delusions of avarice." - MatTheCat
"these people don't seem to want to stop till Bitcoin is completely destroyed and left like an old cum rag in the corner of the room." - ShroomsKit
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 02:20:31 PM

Even if it's not a ponzi, I can't see how it's not a high risk endeavor. Pirate pays out 3300%EAR, it stands to reason his rate would be a higher or he isn't making any money. There aren't a whole lot of safe ways to make that kind of return. Granted I don't know much about his operation as I have very little exposure to his operation, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if my PPT bonds became junk because Pirate got shot or ended up in jail.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 02:47:19 PM

bitcoins are not illegal in the usa so i highly doubt he will get jailed (or shot). however if btc becomes illegal i would think about taking most my btc from pirates bank.

obama wont shoot pirate just to hurt palin, that is just silly.
Bitcoins aren't illegal, but if this isn't a ponzi, it most certainly involves something illegal - most likely the drug trade.

Blazr

Activity: 882

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 04:32:26 PM

bitcoins are not illegal in the usa

That not entirely true. It all depends on the way the law is interpreted (especially when looking at anti-money laundering laws). Its a grey area at the moment.

Busy ATM.
curious

Activity: 73

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 10:52:58 PM

As far as the list, reeses nailed it. Neutral on the topic of this thread, yes.

It's a waste of time and energy to me, it's rude, it has no public basis - other than FUD. For the record, I apply this same judgement and non-speculation on things that I'm ignorant of to my everyday life. It's fun to speculate, but once you say it publicly, if you can't prove it, your motive(s) are questionable at best.

So like, if I thought the mayor was stealing shit from city hall, I wouldn't call the newspapers until I had proof.

What if it takes more than one person working together and comparing notes to be able to get proof? Wouldn't it make sense to discuss this in an open forum? It's not like anyone is calling the newspapers or anything. Just discussing.
publio

Activity: 64

View Profile
May 17, 2012, 11:19:03 PM

Good point, but then the thread title should be renamed to Is BS&T a Ponzi?

PatrickHarnett

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 02:06:58 AM

To be a bit more precise about my position, I don't think it's a Ponzi because it doesn't fit the pattern of a Ponzi very well -- at least, not yet. However, I cannot imagine anything legitimate that it could possibly be.

Update: Also, I can't imagine it being wise to invest in something when you have absolutely no basis on which to estimate the level of risk involved.

Mega lol - tell that to JP Morgan.  $2B (or maybe three billion- they are not sure yet) They don't know how to estimate risk either.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2012, 03:47:53 AM

Mega lol - tell that to JP Morgan.  $2B (or maybe three billion- they are not sure yet) They don't know how to estimate risk either.
Exactly. If you can't estimate risk, don't invest.

splatster

Activity: 175

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 05:06:43 AM

It's come to a point now that BS&T has been running for so long now that if it is a ponzi (which I don't think it is) and he is planning on running away with the funds, I'd honestly have to give him credit for being able to put together such a long lasting and elaborate scheme.  Don't get me wrong, I'd still want my money back, but I'd have to say that he had me fooled pretty well if it was a ponzi.

S² Capital Management | #bitcoin-otc ratings | 1M5j2g4iz4mSwkngrYkqtcmKNGmyDAQzk2
terrytibbs

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 06:20:56 AM

It's come to a point now that BS&T has been running for so long now that if it is a ponzi (which I don't think it is) and he is planning on running away with the funds, I'd honestly have to give him credit for being able to put together such a long lasting and elaborate scheme.  Don't get me wrong, I'd still want my money back, but I'd have to say that he had me fooled pretty well if it was a ponzi.
The point you're trying to make is that... if he's a scammer, then he's a really good scammer?

Gee, thanks splatster!
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 2492

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 06:50:43 AM

It hasn't really existed that long. Most Ponzi schemes last at least a few months. Genius Funds lasted more than three years.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
splatster

Activity: 175

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 11:47:17 PM

It hasn't really existed that long. Most Ponzi schemes last at least a few months. Genius Funds lasted more than three years.
The point you're trying to make is that... if he's a scammer, then he's a really good scammer?

Gee, thanks splatster!

What I'm saying is that the amount of effort he'd have to put in to be running a ponzi like this would be insane.  Ever for the short period he's been running BS&T, it'd be too much for most to be running a ponzi.

S² Capital Management | #bitcoin-otc ratings | 1M5j2g4iz4mSwkngrYkqtcmKNGmyDAQzk2
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 12:13:14 AM

What I'm saying is that the amount of effort he'd have to put in to be running a ponzi like this would be insane.  Ever for the short period he's been running BS&T, it'd be too much for most to be running a ponzi.
The only alternatives to a Ponzi are a legitimate business or some other illegitimate business. Of those three possibilities, a Ponzi probably takes the least effort and provides him the highest potential reward. I would love to hear what you think would be an alternative explanation to a Ponzi scheme that takes less effort.

PatrickHarnett

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 12:28:53 AM

What I'm saying is that the amount of effort he'd have to put in to be running a ponzi like this would be insane.  Ever for the short period he's been running BS&T, it'd be too much for most to be running a ponzi.
The only alternatives to a Ponzi are a legitimate business or some other illegitimate business. Of those three possibilities, a Ponzi probably takes the least effort and provides him the highest potential reward. I would love to hear what you think would be an alternative explanation to a Ponzi scheme that takes less effort.

I can think of several, and it just takes a bit of effort for the book-keeping.  But I'm not going to disclose what I'm thinking of or doing, because that's not how the world works.  You want to get rich, use your resources effectively, and don't give them away.

Edit, while sitting and thinking of some variations, there are systems that might not work in all jurisdictions, and some places will have better results than others.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 02:43:26 AM

What I'm saying is that the amount of effort he'd have to put in to be running a ponzi like this would be insane.  Ever for the short period he's been running BS&T, it'd be too much for most to be running a ponzi.

I can think of several, and it just takes a bit of effort for the book-keeping.  But I'm not going to disclose what I'm thinking of or doing, because that's not how the world works.  You want to get rich, use your resources effectively, and don't give them away.

Edit, while sitting and thinking of some variations, there are systems that might not work in all jurisdictions, and some places will have better results than others.
I'm sorry, I can't just take your word for it. It's entirely possible that I can shoot every suggestion you make full of holes. Or it's possible some of your suggestions are solid. But "I have secret knowledge that shows you're wrong" is basically worthless. I know of no explanation simpler than a Ponzi scheme. Essentially, a Ponzi is the least effort because all you have to do is find investors and keep them happy to run a Ponzi. Every other scheme requires at least that, plus you actually have to make money. (With a Ponzi, all you do is take loss. You never have to make anything.)

I honestly can't conceive of anything simpler than a Ponzi scheme.

imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 02:48:42 AM

I honestly can't conceive of anything simpler than a Ponzi scheme.

So therefore, we are limited by your myopia?

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 03:09:33 AM

I vote that it is, for reasons I promise not to go into. It is also making me money.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.