Bitcoin Forum
December 09, 2016, 07:56:51 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Savings and Trust is probably a Ponzi Scheme: A Petition  (Read 24236 times)
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 03:56:31 AM

I honestly can't conceive of anything simpler than a Ponzi scheme.

So therefore, we are limited by your myopia?

That was the point I was trying to make in a couple of places, but that sums it up nice and bluntly.

And if you want an example of how to make money pushing it around in circles, why don't you try shifting money back and forward between two (or more) trading companies that wish to save on the transfer fees that the banks charge for currency exchange.  I've done that and benefited by several hundred dollars (probably less than a grand) just for personal use.  If I was still running cross border businesses, it would be worth a lot more to me.

Another idea that works is to pick on jurisdictions where purchase power parity is out of alignment and move currency/goods to take advantage of the arbitrage.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1386

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 06:03:39 AM

Yes, exactly. When a person makes a claim and doesn't support it , the claim is invalid unless we already have some support for it. Since we have no support for it already, the claim is in fact limited by our myopia.

I'm arguing against this claim:

What I'm saying is that the amount of effort he'd have to put in to be running a ponzi like this would be insane.  Ever for the short period he's been running BS&T, it'd be too much for most to be running a ponzi.
And my point is that I know of no way it could be true. The person making the claim can, of course, explain some way it can be true. But until then, it's implausible because we know of no way it could be true. It implicitly assumes there is a simple way that requires less effort, but doesn't explain any such way.

"I know of a secret way that I won't tell you" doesn't cut it. It's possible, perhaps even likely, that this secret way is also implausible. You can keep your ideas secret, but then you can't present their existence as evidence to bolster your arguments.

I am an employee of Ripple.
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1434

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 06:26:48 AM

Taken from here:

http://www.bitcoinmoney.com/post/23499116232/glbse-stock-market

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 01:40:04 PM

Yes, exactly. When a person makes a claim and doesn't support it , the claim is invalid unless we already have some support for it. Since we have no support for it already, the claim is in fact limited by our myopia.

Where's the support for your claim that he is a ponzi?  High interest rate isn't enough.  Do you have evidence of pirate failing to pay any returns? Has he been late (longer than say an hour)? Has ANYONE been screwed by pirate?  In short, until you provide solid evidence, you're just a bunch of FUD.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 03:36:33 PM

Where's the support for your claim that he is a ponzi?
I never said that he was a Ponzi. What I did say is that I don't know of anything else it could possibly be. I freely admit that that means it could be something I don't know of or can't think of. I've invited others to make suggestions in this thread, people have, and I've explained why none of those suggestions actually make any sense. (Did you somewhere mention something other than a Ponzi that it could possibly be? If so, I missed it. Please, I'd love to hear any other theories you have.)

I honestly believe it is more likely that it is something other than a Ponzi, that I cannot think of or do not know of, then that it is a Ponzi. But what this means is that it is impossible to estimate the risk. I submit that anyone who invests in something where the risk cannot possibly be estimated is an idiot. Further, they are an immoral idiot because they have no idea what the consequence of their actions are -- they don't know what they're funding.

High interest rate isn't enough.  Do you have evidence of pirate failing to pay any returns? Has he been late (longer than say an hour)? Has ANYONE been screwed by pirate?  In short, until you provide solid evidence, you're just a bunch of FUD.
If you want to cite specific claims I've made that I've failed to support, feel free to do so. But you've just made a list of claims I haven't made and then claimed that this somehow refutes the arguments I did make.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 03:52:16 PM

Where's the support for your claim that he is a ponzi?
I never said that he was a Ponzi. What I did say is that I don't know of anything else it could possibly be. I freely admit that that means it could be something I don't know of or can't think of. I've invited others to make suggestions in this thread, people have, and I've explained why none of those suggestions actually make any sense. (Did you somewhere mention something other than a Ponzi that it could possibly be? If so, I missed it. Please, I'd love to hear any other theories you have.)

Jesus.  Pirate is Jesus.  We can't prove nor disprove.  Satisfied?

EIEIO:

JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 02:28:39 AM

Jesus.  Pirate is Jesus.  We can't prove nor disprove.  Satisfied?
I'm pretty sure you're joking. But of course I can't imagine any way that could be possible. If you're trying to suggest a possibility, you have to explain how it is in fact possible.

The issue is not proof or disprove of the truth of the claim. The issue is proof that the thing claimed is possible.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 02:50:13 AM

Jesus.  Pirate is Jesus.  We can't prove nor disprove.  Satisfied?
I'm pretty sure you're joking. But of course I can't imagine any way that could be possible. If you're trying to suggest a possibility, you have to explain how it is in fact possible.

The issue is not proof or disprove of the truth of the claim. The issue is proof that the thing claimed is possible.

How is it not possible that pirate is Jesus?

EIEIO:

JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 04:43:21 AM

The burden is on the claimant to show possibility. But for one thing, Jesus died a long time ago.

BinaryMage

Activity: 546

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 05:42:41 AM

The burden is on the claimant to show possibility. But for one thing, Jesus died a long time ago.

That's what they want you to believe.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 05:48:18 AM

i keep waiting for luke jr. to show...
P4man

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 06:55:36 AM

Id like to point out that most backers of Pirate were claiming he was involved in money laundering and/or other (drug related) illegal activities. Pirate has recently categorically denied this. I wonder if those people are calling Pirate a liar or if they are now as clueless as the rest of us about his actual business model.

ShadowAlexey
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 967

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 07:15:50 AM

Hey hey, he might just be selling coins, why not?
And pls give a link to his post.

NVCBank. BTC/LTC/NVC accepted.
My Bitmessage address: BM-Bc9dpmehK1ihtgHgXKVypTsDwmL4czMx .
฿: 1ShadowAM654zohrsjeso5pf9Sr4x4uYd Ł: LShadowAUpAy4r3yb2skZDe4vWFrLMNGtT ₪: 4ShadowA3DqkGv5zjLukcm88wSzvhbatsk
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 08:17:27 AM

Because he pays people their interest in coins. So he must, on net, *acquire* coins. I have tried to imagine how such a system could work where he obtains his investment in coins and also pays out interest in coins. I couldn't do it. If you have an idea, please share.

ShadowAlexey
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 967

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 08:20:12 AM

Because he pays people their interest in coins. So he must, on net, *acquire* coins. I have tried to imagine how such a system could work where he obtains his investment in coins and also pays out interest in coins. I couldn't do it. If you have an idea, please share.
What stops him from buying coins on birges?
Daily volume of gox if 62kBTC,how much do you think he needs to buy daily?)

NVCBank. BTC/LTC/NVC accepted.
My Bitmessage address: BM-Bc9dpmehK1ihtgHgXKVypTsDwmL4czMx .
฿: 1ShadowAM654zohrsjeso5pf9Sr4x4uYd Ł: LShadowAUpAy4r3yb2skZDe4vWFrLMNGtT ₪: 4ShadowA3DqkGv5zjLukcm88wSzvhbatsk
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1078

firstbits.com/1ce5j

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 08:33:48 AM

Well, he's said previously that he's selling coins locally to groups of buyers. So if you accept that, all he does is sell coins at a markup to people for cash, deposit that cash to mtgox, trade for btc, pay interest to depositors, and whatever is left is his profit.

P4man

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 08:40:07 AM

Thats the point.. why would he borrow at an insane interest rates if he has to buy coins at exchanges anyway. All that changes is that he has to buy even more.

coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1078

firstbits.com/1ce5j

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 08:43:24 AM

Thats the point.. why would he borrow at an insane interest rates if he has to buy coins at exchanges anyway. All that changes is that he has to buy even more.

My guess is having access to bitcoins instantly is important to his buyers, so he needs to have a large capital of bitcoins readily available. Here's my reasoning why he borrows instead of uses his own coins: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82849.msg916286#msg916286

P4man

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 09:06:10 AM

My guess is having access to bitcoins instantly is important to his buyers, so he needs to have a large capital of bitcoins readily available.

So he can buy them beforehand. After all this time, if his business works only half as well as he claims, surely he has the capital required and then some. Yet for some reason he seems to need constantly more, not less.

Here's my reasoning why he borrows instead of uses his own coins: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82849.msg916286#msg916286

Sounds like a very expensive way to hedge against a BTC price collapse. Going short on bitcoinica would make far more sense. Not too mention he could just cash out his profits in $.

JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 10:16:10 AM

My guess is having access to bitcoins instantly is important to his buyers, so he needs to have a large capital of bitcoins readily available. Here's my reasoning why he borrows instead of uses his own coins: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82849.msg916286#msg916286
Effectively, you're saying that it's a huge gamble that the price of Bitcoin will go way down. He wants to sell people's coins today and pay them back with coins tomorrow, when he expects that they'll be worth less. But that doesn't work for two reasons:

1) It incurs huge, needless risk. If he's holding lots of investors' coins and the price of Bitcoin goes way up, all those profits belong to his investors, not him. If he holds 15,000 Bitcoins that have been invested and the price of Bitcoins doubles, he's much worse off. He now has to acquire Bitcoins to pay back withdrawals at twice the price. You don't hedge by holding an asset.

2) You don't need to pay 10%/month to short Bitcoins.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.