Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:42:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 152 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][SEED] SeedCoin | New Road Map  (Read 184068 times)
tx42

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 03:57:41 PM

ok i restart the wallet with a new config but now the wallet does not sync anymore

anyone have more suggestions to fix ?

I sent cryptzo a fix. Hopefully he checks it out.

I've helped with this exact problem in other coins.

█    █     ██    ███     ███    ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████     ███     ███    ██     █    █
..EARN FREE BREAKOUT COINS SIG CAMPAIGN LIVE !!
█    █     ██    ███     ███    ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████     ███     ███    ██     █    █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
earlz

Activity: 439
Merit: 250

mmmmmm

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 04:04:44 PM

This is what I sent cryptzo about this buggy mandatory update.

Seedcoin's latest mandatory update is a ticking time bomb. When PoS weight changes, the current wallet will no longer accept the old historical blockchain. This could cause just minor issues like wallet not syncing, but it may also allow a malicious actor to orphan every PoS block minted and not checkpointed, since the wallet will no longer see the proper blockchain as valid.

You need to use blocktime or something, not GetTime. SEED should have future time drift protection for blocktimes, so they can only set their clock ahead by like 2 hours or 15 minutes or something like that and their blocks still be valid

As an aside, this is why you should use block height, instead of a time for forking.. it makes issues like these never even possible

Check out my full list of Coin Reviews
Currently working on the Qtum Project
My Skype account earlzdotnet has been compromised. Please report to me any usage seen from it, or from the email earlz@earlz.biz.tm
tx42

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:08:35 PM

Seedcoin's latest mandatory update is a ticking time bomb. When PoS weight changes, the current wallet will no longer accept the old historical blockchain. This could cause just minor issues like wallet not syncing, but it may also allow a malicious actor to orphan every PoS block minted and not checkpointed, since the wallet will no longer see the proper blockchain as valid.

You need to use blocktime or something, not GetTime. SEED should have future time drift protection for blocktimes, so they can only set their clock ahead by like 2 hours or 15 minutes or something like that and their blocks still be valid

As an aside, this is why you should use block height, instead of a time for forking.. it makes issues like these never even possible

To fork in the future, it's actually best to use block time (edit: of the best block). But yeah, grabbing the system time is not a good approach.

tx42

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:09:39 PM

Seedcoin's latest mandatory update is a ticking time bomb. When PoS weight changes, the current wallet will no longer accept the old historical blockchain.

The patch I sent him addresses this issue.

[edit]

I'm starting to hope cryptzo is not one of these "proud" developers who doesn't look at what others offer.

meccoin4me

Activity: 504

Bitcoin is getting bigcoin

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:12:32 PM

ok i restart the wallet with a new config but now the wallet does not sync anymore

tanx , my wallet is pending between sync and not sync , but the coin that are in stake now , they stay stuck at 1 confirmation so i hope i can use my seedcoins as the way it is meant to

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1155319.0  DELTACREDITS , great coin , great idea behind
tx42

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:15:09 PM

tanx , my wallet is pending between sync and not sync , but the coin that are in stake now , they stay stuck at 1 confirmation so i hope i can use my seedcoins as the way it is meant to

I have bought a lot of seed. It's going to suck if he doesn't fix this problem because of pride or something. I'm starting to get that feeling. I've worked with a lot of developers on coins.

If the network is still deteriorating in 10 or so hours, I'll offer a community fork. I know the bittrex people. They'll update to my fork in a heartbeat.

wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:20:30 PM

I have bought a lot of seed. It's going to suck if he doesn't fix this problem because of pride or something. I'm starting to get that feeling. I've worked with a lot of developers on coins.

If the network is still deteriorating in 10 or so hours, I'll offer a community fork. I know the bittrex people. They'll update to my fork in a heartbeat.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but if you did that, would you also provide an updated version of the QT client and would it do the staking thing as advertised?
tx42

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:21:00 PM

Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but if you did that, would you also provide an updated version of the QT client and would it do the staking thing as advertised?

I would.

[edit]

I'm just here to protect my investment. If these problems get fixed, I'll step aside and do what I love to do for coins: bounce trolls.

[edit2]

I'm not here for glory either. cryptzo can take my patch and claim he wrote it and I won't care at all. I'm here for my investment. Period.

wiser
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:22:25 PM

I would.

Do you have contact with all the pools too? They would have to update to your fork as well--at least this week Smiley
tx42

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:25:39 PM

Do you have contact with all the pools too? They would have to update to your fork as well--at least this week Smiley

They'll update if a good working fork is posted and the exchange takes it.

Coinstreet

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:27:04 PM

Can anybody point me to a working block explorer for this coin? I cant seem to find it Sad

EDIT: And I still haven't received the ipo coins, starting to piss me off.
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:30:19 PM

OK. Well, I think it's the community which makes a coin strong, and we're seeing it here. Hopefully your patch will get applied before the potential for conflict arises. I'm guessing Cryptzo has a lot on his plate right now and when he sees it will very gladly check it off his long to do list and give you full credit. At least, that's what I would do if it were me (and you were right about the need for the patch--which I lack the technical know-how to be able to determine on my own).

Anyway, I like coins where the wallets don't blow up every few days or so. Been there, done that with NXT, but it's all working great now and even going places.
tx42

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:33:44 PM

OK. Well, I think it's the community which makes a coin strong, and we're seeing it here. Hopefully your patch will get applied before the potential for conflict arises. I'm guessing Cryptzo has a lot on his plate right now and when he sees it will very gladly check it off his long to do list and give you full credit. At least, that's what I would do if it were me (and you were right about the need for the patch--which I lack the technical know-how to be able to determine on my own).

Anyway, I like coins where the wallets don't blow up every few days or so. Been there, done that with NXT, but it's all working great now and even going places.

A lot of the best coins have shitty early times. If you want a perfectly functioning wallet early on, you need a perfect clone. But perfect clones have no innovation.

The way to judge a coin is not just what the community does, but take a look at how the dev handles the early difficulties.

I hope cryptzo pulls through.

meccoin4me

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:39:24 PM

i send some seeds (0.143) to my wallet from minerpools , but that was before i changed the config while my wallet wasn't syncing  , now my wallet is synced but did not recieve the seeds i withdraw ,

is that a fork issue and did i loose the withdrawed seeds??

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1155319.0  DELTACREDITS , great coin , great idea behind
tx42

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:41:32 PM

i send some seeds (0.143) to my wallet from minerpools , but that was before i changed the config while my wallet wasn't syncing  , now my wallet is synced but did not recieve the seeds i withdraw ,

It's probably a fork issue.

Things are going to get ugly with the pools. They tend to make their own forks when things like this happen.

meccoin4me

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:43:50 PM

It's probably a fork issue.

Things are going to get ugly with the pools. They tend to make their own forks when things like this happen.

well , too bad , but tanx for help and answer

tx42

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:44:18 PM

Alright, I heard from cryptzo by PM!

He's on top of this and is looking seriously at my patch. He's just very tired. Hopefully he can muster the fortitude to knock out an update before he crashes.

This is a good sign guys. I know devs.

wiser
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:52:15 PM

Alright, I heard from cryptzo by PM!

He's on top of this and is looking seriously at my patch. He's just very tired. Hopefully he can muster the fortitude to knock out an update before he crashes.

This is a good sign guys. I know devs.

+1

Go Cryptzo! hang in there. Sending you virtual coffee (or whatever type of food/beverage you use for a quick energy boost) Smiley
james42

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 04:54:40 PM

Back to the staking, am I better off locking my wallet 24 hours before the end of PoW so my coins don't stake. When the growth period starts I then can unlock the wallet, will the coins stake pretty much straightaway if they haven't staked for > 24 hours?
cryptzo (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 04:58:33 PM

To fork in the future, it's actually best to use block time (edit: of the best block). But yeah, grabbing the system time is not a good approach.

Yeah the grabbing of the system time was just a panic fix to stop the forking. I originally used the block time (of the block being tested) and that clearly had serious issues.

The historical blockchain will be valid at least until the weight down-stepping, which I honestly put zero thought into when I kneejerked GetTime into that thinking about the current forking issues. I'll put a fix out for this, but in the meantime the current wallet should be able to coincide with the upcoming fixed wallet without causing a major fork.

As for the edit tx42 suggested, I don't want to steal his thunder. Honestly I'm just really really tired right now and having a hard time following his admittedly very clear code. I don't want to worry about forks right now, and I can't think well enough to wrap my head around it right now. But like I told him, I will later on today.

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. I'll get through this. But I'm happy to have the help and another set of eyes on the code when I'm tired. So thank you for your help.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 152 »
  Print  

Jump to: