Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:35:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 896 mh/s firmware release - Butterfly Labs  (Read 18498 times)
BFL (OP)

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 09:35:37 PM
Last edit: May 28, 2012, 10:07:56 PM by BFL

Along with the beta release of our maintenance and diagnostics tool (EasyMiner), we're making an experimental firmware available for running your Singles at a faster than stock 896 mh/s.

Please be advised that this firmware may not work on all units and it will increase your operating temperature which could bring your unit into a throttle situation depending on the ambient temperature of your operating environment.  The degree of effectiveness will depend on the natural variations in each chip being used.  Many of you will find that you can operate at this speed just fine.  

We've also provided several slower firmwares to allow you to operate your units in a warmer environment without throttling.  (A decrease of just 8 mh/s can drop temperature sensitivity as much as 3C).  In most cases, running just a hair slower results in faster overall speeds compared to frequent throttling.

To experiment with these firmwares, you'll need to use the EasyMiner tool which is now available on our website along with all the new speed files.

http://www.butterflylabs.com/drivers/

Kind regards,
BFL

Update:

a)  We've now added additional faster firmwares for customer experimentation.
   b)  EasyMiner has been upgraded to 1.1   (minor improvements & two bug fixes)

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 09:39:58 PM

Does this experimental firmware void or otherwise affect warranty support?
BFL (OP)

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 09:43:33 PM

Does this experimental firmware void or otherwise affect warranty support?

Warranty support covers use of any available firmware.

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
wknight
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin calls me an Orphan

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 09:46:11 PM

Nice release. Any chance for future Mac support?

Mining Both Bitcoin and Litecoin.
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 10:07:48 PM

Along with the beta release of our maintenance and diagnostics tool (EasyMiner), we're making an experimental firmware available for running your Singles at a faster than stock 864 mh/s.
BFL

I think you mean faster than stock 832 Mh/s
Inspector 2211

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 10:12:38 PM

Along with the beta release of our maintenance and diagnostics tool (EasyMiner), we're making an experimental firmware available for running your Singles at a faster than stock 864 mh/s.
BFL

I think you mean faster than stock 832 Mh/s

No, the BFL spokesperson said it correctly, if a little bit confusingly - I'm adding parentheses for clarity:
we're making an experimental firmware available for running your Singles at a (faster than stock) 864 mh/s

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
BTC-GREEN       ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
 ▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Ecological Community in the Green Planet
❱❱❱❱❱❱     WHITEPAGE   |   ANN THREAD     ❰❰❰❰❰❰
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 10:32:19 PM

Flashed one cool one of mine and it is now 857 up from 816.  Temps still around 56 degrees. Grin  Very nice work BFL.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 10:41:25 PM

Flashed one cool one of mine and it is now 857 up from 816.  Temps still around 56 degrees. Grin  Very nice work BFL.

Works out at about $40 per year more, so if you have 10 Singles than a nice $400.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 11:13:23 PM

Hm, I guess pool mining is still disabled in this version.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 11:24:09 PM

you mean p2pool probably !
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 11:27:07 PM

Nice to see you guys offering more speed to existing customers. Any chance you guys would open up your development to the community? This might yield additional speed increases and increase the value of the product you are selling.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 11:27:23 PM

you mean p2pool probably !
No, I mean the inbuilt connection to eclipse. This version can only be used to upload firmware, not mine on eclipse. Presumably that is slated for future release.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 11:35:38 PM

Nice to see you guys offering more speed to existing customers. Any chance you guys would open up your development to the community? This might yield additional speed increases and increase the value of the product you are selling.
Their speed changes are just adjusting the clock, not the actual sha256 'code'.

Anyone got the tools to generate the source code from the EasyMiner executable and post a link here?
It's .NET v2.0.50727 (and VB in there)
I notice in the binary it detects throttling and was mainly wondering if that was done via simply noticing it's slow to process the nonce range or if there is some way to directly detect the clock/throttle.
No doubt there would be more commands to the BFL than the current VERY SHORT list of: ZGX, ZDX, ZLX and ZFX

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 11:47:46 PM

Anyone got the tools to generate the source code from the EasyMiner executable and post a link here?
I notice in the binary it detects throttling and was mainly wondering if that was done via simply noticing it's slow to process the nonce range or if there is some way to directly detect the clock/throttle.
No doubt there would be more commands to the BFL than the current VERY SHORT list of: ZGX, ZDX, ZLX and ZFX
Didn't they also just mention ZMX to blink the front LED?

Gomeler

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 12:38:29 AM

I gathered that, but it is worth asking if they'd open source their bitstream so the community could potentially spur their project along. I imagine if they are using Spartan6 cores for the Mini Rig they'll be using or at least starting with the open source Spartan6 bitstreams..
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 01:08:41 AM

I gathered that, but it is worth asking if they'd open source their bitstream so the community could potentially spur their project along. I imagine if they are using Spartan6 cores for the Mini Rig they'll be using or at least starting with the open source Spartan6 bitstreams..
Since when do the mini-rigs use Spartan 6 chips? That was idiotic speculation from earlier. The mini-rig modules still only have 2 chips, and a total hashrate of greater than 2x Spartan 6.

fizzisist

Activity: 720
Merit: 525

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2012, 02:10:09 AM

Since when do the mini-rigs use Spartan 6 chips? That was idiotic speculation from earlier. The mini-rig modules still only have 2 chips, and a total hashrate of greater than 2x Spartan 6.

Hey, it could still be Spartan 6, but they ran a simulation that said they could get 700 MH/s out of each chip. Smiley But, they didn't believe the power numbers from the simulation (once bitten, twice shy), so they took the power/performance numbers that people get for the Spartan 6 at 200 MH/s. Cheesy

In all seriousness, it seems most likely to me that they found a source for another chip like this one (read: used), but 45 nm technology, and they predict they will get those performance specs. At least now the power numbers are more reasonable. It's just the price that doesn't make sense otherwise.

You're right, though, I wouldn't speculate that BFL will suddenly go open source with the release of the mini rig, since it's definitely not a Spartan 6.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 02:12:52 AM

Could be that the Stratix III was just a prototype for a Hardcopy sASIC, and they decided that they could sell some EOL chips while building a "new" chip on a dead process. Hmm. I wonder if the Mini-rig is fully reprogrammable in the same manner as the single...

Gomeler

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 02:38:09 AM

I said if, not it is. No need to get uppity.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 03:34:02 AM

Well - looks like the command to upload the bitstream is 'ZAX' ... however more information is highly likely required to do the upload Sad

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: