Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:32:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 896 mh/s firmware release - Butterfly Labs  (Read 18498 times)
Buckwheet

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

Green Mining 85% Cheaper

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 03:52:44 AM

Flashed one cool one of mine and it is now 857 up from 816.  Temps still around 56 degrees. Grin  Very nice work BFL.

Flashed one of mine and also getting 857, but my temps are 49C.

"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xDGDZEx

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 05:45:43 AM

Flashed one cool one of mine and it is now 857 up from 816.  Temps still around 56 degrees. Grin  Very nice work BFL.

Third person also getting 857 MH. Out of 6 rev3's and 2 rev2's, three of the rev3's will run (at 857) without throttling.

Temps are ~55,57,62C on the ones with the higher clocks.

Also interesting note, all units are spaced roughly the same distance apart, and the 857 units do not have significantly higher temps than the stock units.

Fefox

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 08:36:49 AM

so far 857.7Mh/s with the bitminter miner and no throttling....

when does the 900 Mh/s firmware come out?  Grin
nbtcminer

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 09:05:55 PM

Third person also getting 857 MH. Out of 6 rev3's and 2 rev2's, three of the rev3's will run (at 857) without throttling.

Temps are ~55,57,62C on the ones with the higher clocks.

Also interesting note, all units are spaced roughly the same distance apart, and the 857 units do not have significantly higher temps than the stock units.

In a fairly cold room; also getting 857.7 at around 43-43.7C. Nice work BFL!
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 09:38:01 PM

This may be surprising to some, but I'm generally more interested in the slower firmware.

I've replaced the stock fans with (much) quieter ones, accepting that some units will occasionally throttle due to the lowered CFM. By loading the 800 or 792 firmware onto those marginal units, I'm able to eliminate throttling and increase their effective speed.

The various firmware versions give me a way to optimize speed vs. noise that wasn't available before. Much appreciated.
bombo999

Activity: 107

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 09:47:44 PM

has anyone else encountered a firmware integrity failure ... after attempting to upgrade the firmware ... the following message is listed in the device information ... "Firmware integrity test failed.  Reflash required."
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2012, 10:07:21 PM

has anyone else encountered a firmware integrity failure ... after attempting to upgrade the firmware ... the following message is listed in the device information ... "Firmware integrity test failed.  Reflash required."

This happens if during the firmware upload something goes wrong ( power failure, device disconnect, etc).
Once this happens, the unit must be re-flashed.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
jddebug

Activity: 446

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 03:27:19 AM

Although I'm seeing more MH/s wit the 863 firmware, My "U" in cgminer has gone down and the pools reported GH/s is down too. My average MH/s as reported by cgminer is up about 300MH/s across my 10 singles.

Any thoughts on why the cgminer reported MH/s is up but less work being reported by the pool?
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 03:41:24 AM

Although I'm seeing more MH/s wit the 863 firmware, My "U" in cgminer has gone down and the pools reported GH/s is down too. My average MH/s as reported by cgminer is up about 300MH/s across my 10 singles.

Any thoughts on why the cgminer reported MH/s is up but less work being reported by the pool?
Most likely: U is random - just like block finding.
Check it again in a few days Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
jddebug

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 03:45:10 AM

Ok, but they have always reported as 8+GH/s on the pools but now only 7.x GH/s.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2012, 03:46:34 AM

The pools report based on your U. So if you're unlucky for a while, your U goes down, and your pool reports it slower. Doesn't mean you're actually hashing slower for that period.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
jddebug

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 03:52:49 AM

The pools report based on your U. So if you're unlucky for a while, your U goes down, and your pool reports it slower. Doesn't mean you're actually hashing slower for that period.

Thank you for the explanation. Makes perfect sense. Does the U also go down when the difficulty goes up?
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 03:56:10 AM

Thank you for the explanation. Makes perfect sense. Does the U also go down when the difficulty goes up?

Statistically - no.
(but of course, the value of your shares will drop)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2012, 05:05:37 AM

The utility is based on the difficulty shares you are mining for. Most pools work with difficulty one shares, regardless of the overall bitcoin block difficulty. About the only time you are mining for different difficulty shares is when you're mining on p2pool. (unrelated) However p2pool is a terrible choice to mine with these devices on because of the ~25% work lost.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
nbtcminer

Activity: 249

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 03:49:56 PM

This may be surprising to some, but I'm generally more interested in the slower firmware.

I've replaced the stock fans with (much) quieter ones, accepting that some units will occasionally throttle due to the lowered CFM. By loading the 800 or 792 firmware onto those marginal units, I'm able to eliminate throttling and increase their effective speed.

The various firmware versions give me a way to optimize speed vs. noise that wasn't available before. Much appreciated.

@Epoch:

Just curious, what brand / model fan did you replace the stock one with?

-nbtcminer
abbeytim

Activity: 438

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 05:14:18 PM

heres screenshot with new firmware https://i.imgur.com/dqOYX.jpg  Grin
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 05:30:29 PM
Last edit: May 11, 2012, 09:04:17 PM by Epoch

Just curious, what brand / model fan did you replace the stock one with?

I've tried nearly 10 different fans on my Singles; the one I ended up using is the Silenx Effizio EFX-09-15. For what I was looking for, it had the best balance of silence and airflow of the models I've tried.

Out of nine 832Mhps Singles that I have so far retrofitted, 4 run without throttling even up to 27C ambient but the 5 others throttle.

For the 5 throttling ones, I've loaded 800Mhps firmware which allows them to run full-speed (no throttling). Your mileage may vary, of course.
xDGDZEx

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 08:58:56 PM

I too, am glad for this. Three of my singles would do this thing where they would clearly throttle (reduced output on cgminer) but they wouldn't blink their LEDs. I just installed the 816 MH firmware and now they are sitting at 811 MH and are rock solid. Actually increased my (avg) hash rate from ~6200 to ~6500
jddebug

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 09:21:20 PM

heres screenshot with new firmware https://i.imgur.com/dqOYX.jpg  Grin

I posted this on another thread too but its best here.

864 runs great on mine too. However, even though the Hash rate is increased, the performance is decreased. I can not figure out why but when I went back to 832 I am doing better than at 862. If mine were throttling I could not tell. No blinking light and hash rate was at expected rate. Just very low U.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
May 11, 2012, 09:58:23 PM

If you run the easyminer test sequence it will tell you if the unit throttles.  Maybe that is worth a try.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: