Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:04:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 400 BTC sent to an unknow address. (COINS RETURNED) 40 BTC reward.  (Read 19785 times)
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 04:00:46 PM

I am very pleased to report that this has a very happy ending:)

Today when I woke up I found 400 BTC in my GLBSE account. I also had an e-mail from GLBSE support letting me know that they had moved over the funds!

Very epic thank you GLBSE staff/ Nefario for going out of your way to assist me.

I would like to ask Maged to help in dividing the 40 BTC reward. 40 BTC will be given out for sure, but I do not have the technological understanding to know who helped the most and who should get what share.

Thank you all!

@Bulanula

Did you read this?

For all those don't know, a guy accidentally sent Bulanula 25BTC, proved it was his address and Bulanula publicly acknowledges receiving it but refused to return it, earning a Scammer Tag.

More trash talk from the biggest SoiledCon supporter on the forums.

I did not want to give him a refund after he attacked me publicly. I offered instead 10 months ( what he paid for with the 25 BTC ) of sig ad space and 2 months bonus but the guy did not want this and he wanted me scammer tagged for not giving him the refund. Lame but I don't care anyway.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 04:38:15 PM

I saw it and I would have done the same if somebody sent me XXX BTC for nothing. I

My case was different. Because he attacked me without giving me chance to return the 22.5 BTC I refused to give refund but instead chose to give him service he paid for.

He did not want to accept service but wanted to get me scammer tag and never see the BTC back.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 05:12:22 PM

I saw it and I would have done the same if somebody sent me XXX BTC for nothing. I

My case was different. Because he attacked me without giving me chance to return the 22.5 BTC I refused to give refund but instead chose to give him service he paid for.

He did not want to accept service but wanted to get me scammer tag and never see the BTC back.

This is a load of crap - there's 25 pages of indefensible excuses as to why he doesn't want to give the money back.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=78386

tl;dr: they can all be ignored.  Bulanula owes the 22.5 BTC, has no good reason for keeping it, there is no question he owes it (based on his own admissions), and is just being a jerk.  All of his "official forum scammer" crap is just a diversion to make his real scammer tag look like it's just a joke.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 06:35:28 PM

I would like to ask Maged to help in dividing the 40 BTC reward. 40 BTC will be given out for sure, but I do not have the technological understanding to know who helped the most and who should get what share.

Thank you all!
Sure thing.

casascius:
I think it should be possible to find numerous other addresses that belong to the same wallet...

for example, all of these other addresses must be in the same wallet because they combined funds from that address within a transaction.

Here are a bunch more addresses that might be part of that same wallet - but only if some assumptions I have made about which is the "change" and which isn't are correct.  This payer seems to habitually pay amounts just 0.005 BTC shy of a full bitcoin.  (It could be a service that charges a 0.005 transaction fee on withdrawals)

That might be worth 5-10%, as it helped point out how the e-wallet worked. Someone in the know could have used this to determine that it was GLBSE

Maged:
Client: Satoshi
Fees are manually set to 0.001/kb. Sometimes an old client that uses .01/kb is used.
User has received funds from a service that gives out bitcoins, but at various exact amounts, as a sendmany.
http://blockchain.info/tx-index/1914667/131cc29906bb30cb6cf5921648ffe75cdbffc109a083fc18c9b4fd3cd06176e9
User was paid by someone that was a StrongCoin user:
http://blockchain.info/tx-index/1914644/05c5a67b4657c6bf6329a656a63eb03f6629fc16eec23539e896e649d844ec5d

Transactions are also quite frequent and small. Probability that this is an e-wallet: 90%

Could it be instawallet?
Identified it as an e-wallet. Again, someone who knew more about GLBSE would have identified them immediately after reading this post, as I show in the next quote:
How about GLBSE?

I found a reference to a 0.005 BTC withdrawal fee in this post.

Also Xenland uses GLBSE.

Goat, perhaps you sent the 400 BTC to your GLBSE deposit address?
Verified.
Will there still be the .01 btc withdrawl fee, or are you lowering it to .0005? Is the minimum withdrawl size still in effect?

Withdrawl fee will be 0.001, min withdrawl being 0.5btc, thats reasonable right?
Fees match the pattern.
Verified through how the fees used to work that it was, indeed, GLBSE. I may be biased, but I'd say that this was worth maybe 10%.

twobitcoins:
As casascius pointed out, the person (or wallet) you sent the money to tends to make payments that are 0.005 BTC less than a round number.  Looking at the addresses that those payments went to, some of them appear to be addresses that were posted in this thread: Break My Website | Cheaper in Bitcoins.

For example:

Therefore, I would suggest that your 1.96 BTC and 400 BTC were sent to Xenland, or at least to a wallet service that he was using at the time.  I would suggest contacting him to see if he has them, or if he can tell you which service does.
How about GLBSE?

I found a reference to a 0.005 BTC withdrawal fee in this post.

Also Xenland uses GLBSE.

Goat, perhaps you sent the 400 BTC to your GLBSE deposit address?

twobitcoins stole the show. He identified a user that would help locate the funds, and then came up with the correct guess of GLBSE. He should get whatever is left.

Every post after we identified GLBSE shouldn't be worth anything, since we had both a guess and a confirmation that it was GLBSE at this point.

ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 06:44:05 PM

This is just one example of how truly awesome this project is. You find 3000 dollars on the street, what do you do? But here Goat let everyone know what happened, and the community came together to help a fellow out.
+9001 to the community

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
pazor
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 06:53:47 PM

This is just one example of how truly awesome this project is. You find 3000 dollars on the street, what do you do? But here Goat let everyone know what happened, and the community came together to help a fellow out.
+9001 to the community

it is simply:

you take the money to the police.

if the owner is found you get 10% of the money

if the owner is not found after 6months the money is yours

Grin

treuhand-Dienst gewünscht? - frag per PM an
BTC 174X17nR7vEQBQo4GXKRGMGaTmB49Gf1yT
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:05:53 PM

How often is the owner found? Ive seen several instances in the nightly news in the past 2 years about area police in the Omaha Nebraska region under investigation for lost funds not being handled properly.  I would trust law enforcement as far as I could throw them, and I have pathetically weak arms mate.

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:12:39 PM

This happy outcome warms my coinpurse.  Kiss

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:26:32 PM

Solid brother..   Roll Eyes

Was it worth 25 btc? 

Your a joke, and will always be..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:33:25 PM

In order to prevent "bulanulas", I think it is a good idea to give whoever recovers the Bitcoins some share, in this case the GLBSE support.

At least that’s what I would do, since without their honesty you would have seen 0 BTC (deniability).
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:36:08 PM

In order to prevent "bulanulas", I think it is a good idea to give whoever recovers the Bitcoins some share, in this case the GLBSE support.

At least that’s what I would do, since without their honesty you would have seen 0 BTC (deniability).
That's true, but it shouldn't be expected since Goat is already a major customer with them. The customer satisfaction alone from this will generate them plenty of money anyway.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:40:23 PM

That's true, but it shouldn't be expected since Goat is already a major customer with them. The customer satisfaction alone from this will generate them plenty of money anyway.
Good point, that is a bit different than an individual.

I just like to see honesty rewarded with a small token, even if it’s 1 Bitcoin, as it sends a message to all bulanula scammers out there.

I like how quickly this was resolved.

Goat is very lucky not to have sent to a bulanula. Grin
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 07:41:16 PM

Somehow I think this thread is a great case study for what it takes to track down the owner of an address.

Impossible to go it alone, but as people with different pieces of the puzzle start piling them all in one place - and so long as all are willing to cooperate - with persistence, a breakthrough.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:50:51 PM

Somehow I think this thread is a great case study for what it takes to track down the owner of an address.

Impossible to go it alone, but as people with different pieces of the puzzle start piling them all in one place - and so long as all are willing to cooperate - with persistence, a breakthrough.

So much for anonymity Wink

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2012, 04:29:10 AM

glbse deserves a 40 all their own, better than 400...

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2012, 04:52:25 AM

My address is 1BowSerbsenLBELbwR5aZE1aqy7ooGCydT, though it's completely your call.  No reward is required, but if you send one, I'll remember it for a long time!  (That address is one on a paper wallet that I don't plan to import for a while, I treat the page on Block Explorer sort of how one might treat a "barnstar" page on Wikipedia.)

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2012, 04:56:00 AM

My address is 1BowSerbsenLBELbwR5aZE1aqy7ooGCydT

10 characters? How long did that take to generate? Or did you convert a farm to solving a vanityGen for a while? Either way, impressive!

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2012, 05:00:25 AM

10 characters? How long did that take to generate? Or did you convert a farm to solving a vanityGen for a while? Either way, impressive!

Only "Bowser" was the desired prefix, case insensitive, the rest are random.  In fact I almost don't like it, because "Serbs" is an actual word that detracts from the intended prefix.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2012, 05:03:57 AM

Only "Bowser" was the desired prefix, case insensitive, the rest are random.  In fact I almost don't like it, because "Serbs" is an actual word that detracts from the intended prefix.

If I'd generated that address, I'd change my name to "Bow Serbsen, L.B.E.L."

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
twobitcoins

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 05:05:44 AM

I'm glad to hear everything worked out!

I think Maged made a good assessment of the contributions.  Your proposed distribution seems reasonable.  Of course you are free to distribute the coins however you choose.

You can send my portion to 1FtT9htpgKGsEoEdJVu88vMbbsaKzMTcrd.  Thanks!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: