Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:03:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 [603] 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 ... 1240 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CCminer(SP-MOD) Modded GPU kernels.  (Read 2347501 times)
bensam1231
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 09:42:44 PM

so amp edition is thrash... I ordered an amp extreme which should be better, let's hope it doesn't have the same flaws :-)

Extreme also has the retarded backplate. There is more room for exhaust, but if you notice the backplate wraps around the sides and covers most of the side exhaust severely limiting airflow.

Quite funny how you can have really nice bad ass heatsinks and completely ruin them by trying to make the card look pretty. Right now the cards are hugely flawed, I actually decided to immediately sell mine and try to recoup costs rather then dealing with a dead card or dead fans 3-4 months down the road from now... The fans run at 100% all the time. I see there being almost no OCing headroom on these simply because the cooling sucks so much. Right now I have a boxfan right on top of the cards to keep them at a reasonable temp (~80s).

Really a shame, they look like they could've been good cards too... 2x8pin power connectors, high end circuitry, very beefy and heavy (which is a good sign) heatsink, decent looking fans, and TDP of 120.

3 slot coolers aren't worth it. Usually they cool just as well as a double slot cooler, only take up more space. I've had a few of these. They're generally overkill. Blowers are actually something I'm considering right now as they vacate heat from the rig area, such as with the founders edition.

I buy private Nvidia miners. Send information and/or inquiries to my PM box.
scryptr
Legendary

Activity: 1796
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2016, 03:24:34 AM

so amp edition is thrash... I ordered an amp extreme which should be better, let's hope it doesn't have the same flaws :-)

Extreme also has the retarded backplate. There is more room for exhaust, but if you notice the backplate wraps around the sides and covers most of the side exhaust severely limiting airflow.

Quite funny how you can have really nice bad ass heatsinks and completely ruin them by trying to make the card look pretty. Right now the cards are hugely flawed, I actually decided to immediately sell mine and try to recoup costs rather then dealing with a dead card or dead fans 3-4 months down the road from now... The fans run at 100% all the time. I see there being almost no OCing headroom on these simply because the cooling sucks so much. Right now I have a boxfan right on top of the cards to keep them at a reasonable temp (~80s).

Really a shame, they look like they could've been good cards too... 2x8pin power connectors, high end circuitry, very beefy and heavy (which is a good sign) heatsink, decent looking fans, and TDP of 120.

3 slot coolers aren't worth it. Usually they cool just as well as a double slot cooler, only take up more space. I've had a few of these. They're generally overkill. Blowers are actually something I'm considering right now as they vacate heat from the rig area, such as with the founders edition.

FLUID DYNAMICS--

The backplate conducts heat away from the system faster than the air in circulation around it.  As the air ( a fluid) contacts the backplate, the heat is conducted away from the chipset more rapidly.  This creates a fluid flow towards the backplate, increasing the system's thermal conduction.  In effect, the backplate draws heat, then conducts it away faster than air currents (fluid currrents, a dynamic phenomenon) alone.  The backplate draws heat like a "sink", and conducts the heat away more efficiently than air alone.

Haven't tried it yet, but I am going to buy another one.       --scryptr

TIPS:  BTC - 1Fs4uZ6a9ABYBTaHGUfqcwCQmeBRxkKRQT    DASH - XrK81tW31SLsVvZ2WX9VhTjpT6GXJPLdbQ
          SCRYPTR'S NOTEBOOK: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5035515.msg46035530#msg46035530
          GITHUB: "github.com/scryptr"  MERIT is appreciated, also.  Thanks!
bensam1231
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 11:41:55 AM

FLUID DYNAMICS--

The backplate conducts heat away from the system faster than the air in circulation around it.  As the air ( a fluid) contacts the backplate, the heat is conducted away from the chipset more rapidly.  This creates a fluid flow towards the backplate, increasing the system's thermal conduction.  In effect, the backplate draws heat, then conducts it away faster than air currents (fluid currrents, a dynamic phenomenon) alone.  The backplate draws heat like a "sink", and conducts the heat away more efficiently than air alone.

No, this doesn't work. Air acts as a insulator. Have you ever heard of double pane windows? Trapping a gas between two sheets of anything is a good way to create a insulator.

Moving heat between anything counts as a insulator anyway as the heat has to move through it. The backplates do not count as heatsinks either, the area the backplate uses to conduct heat is minimal as well compared to a finned heatsink. Heat dissipation is basically proportional to area (not including airflow).

They obviously didn't intend for this effect either or they wouldn't have had fans on the front of the heatsink. How well do you think heat transfer would work with no fans as you're implying?

Putting aside theory, I've tested these and they're pretty bad.

giagge
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 12:06:24 PM

Any news for ethereum on win 10 ? New driver ? .
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 12:18:23 PM

what gpu? 1070 can do 33 in oc on windows 10, plug and play
scryptr
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2016, 12:55:07 PM

FLUID DYNAMICS--

No, this doesn't work. Air acts as a insulator. Have you ever heard of double pane windows? Trapping a gas between two sheets of anything is a good way to create a insulator.

Moving heat between anything counts as a insulator anyway as the heat has to move through it. The backplates do not count as heatsinks either, the area the backplate uses to conduct heat is minimal as well compared to a finned heatsink. Heat dissipation is basically proportional to area (not including airflow).

They obviously didn't intend for this effect either or they wouldn't have had fans on the front of the heatsink. How well do you think heat transfer would work with no fans as you're implying?

METAL IS NOT AN INSULATOR OF HEAT--

It sinks the heat from the air and dissipates ithe heat on the cooler side.  This creates a fluid dynamic air flow away from the hot components.  The entire metal backplate is a conductor of heat.  Most users report 1-5 degree cooler running temperatures when using a backplate.  And, the gas is not trapped as it is in windows.  I said nothing about fans, fluid dynamics accounts for the airflow in the space between hot components and the backplate, and includes fan currents.

The system seeks thermal equilibrium.  Thermal currents flow away from the hot components, aided by the thermal conductivity of the metal backplate.  If the backplate were made of carbon fiber or particle board, your arguments would be more true.     --scryptr

TIPS:  BTC - 1Fs4uZ6a9ABYBTaHGUfqcwCQmeBRxkKRQT    DASH - XrK81tW31SLsVvZ2WX9VhTjpT6GXJPLdbQ
          SCRYPTR'S NOTEBOOK: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5035515.msg46035530#msg46035530
giagge
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 01:43:39 PM

I have gtx 980 with windows 10 x64 home edition get only 5 mh/s .
bensam1231
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 01:56:49 PM

FLUID DYNAMICS--

METAL IS NOT AN INSULATOR OF HEAT--

It sinks the heat from the air and dissipates ithe heat on the cooler side.  This creates a fluid dynamic air flow away from the hot components.  The entire metal backplate is a conductor of heat.  Most users report 1-5 degree cooler running temperatures when using a backplate.  And, the gas is not trapped as it is in windows.  I said nothing about fans, fluid dynamics accounts for the airflow in the space between hot components and the backplate, and includes fan currents.

The system seeks thermal equilibrium.  Thermal currents flow away from the hot components, aided by the thermal conductivity of the metal backplate.  If the backplate were made of carbon fiber or particle board, your arguments would be more true.     --scryptr

I think we're on two different wavelengths here. I said the backplates are bad in this case because they wrap the card and there is no room for exhaust (they cover the sides of the card where exhaust from the heatsink normally happens). In other words, the fans can't push air out the other side of the heatsink because it's largely blocked.

That aside, in order for a heatsink to work it has to make contact with whatever it's transferring heat from and something like thermal grease or a TIM is used to make sure there is no air between the two objects. Like when you mount a heatsink on a CPU, you don't want air bubbles as they're a insulator. Backplates generally do not have this. The only thing they make contact with is the memory chips, but cooling memory is futile as it almost never gets hot and it's not related to the ability to OC them. So you have a giant stagnant air bubble behind the card between it and the metal backplate.

Heatsinks don't just magically suck heat out of one environment into another.

myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 02:07:06 PM

You just need an older driver version, for example 347.88 will get you over 20MH/s on the 980.

scryptr
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2016, 02:14:06 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2016, 04:52:37 PM by scryptr

[Heatsinks don't just magically suck heat out of one environment into another.

THERE YOU SAID IT!--

The backplate is in contact with the airspace and conducts heat away from the air, dissapating it on the cooler back side.  The air is not trapped between the components and the backplate, thermal currents flow to the backplate, and are dissapated.   The backplate "sinks" the heat from the air.  It is not magic, it is Newtonian physics.  There are numerous vents along the back and edge sides of the backplate to allow for fan driven, or thermal driven, airflow.  I just looked.  You brought up fans, anyway.

A heatsink is called a "sink"; it is an analogy to the flow of water.  Heat moves along the path of least resistance, like water, or electricity.  Heat flowing to the backplate will be dissapated rapidly by the high thermal conductivity of the metal forming the backplate.

--scryptr

giagge
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 02:20:23 PM

You just need an older driver version, for example 347.88 will get you over 20MH/s on the 980.

Oh thanks , download the 347.88 for win10 x64 , and with ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.0.8.zip daggerhashimoto for eth i have 20 mh/s ? .
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 03:04:04 PM

Oh thanks , download the 347.88 for win10 x64 , and with ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.0.8.zip daggerhashimoto for eth i have 20 mh/s ? .

Something like that. I'm using 1.0.7 IIRC, because the latest version was not provided for Cuda 6.5 (which is the most that this old driver will support). You'll need to experiment with the different releases to find out one that works.

My 980's are somewhat overclocked (not much), and are doing about 22MH each if I'm not mistaken.

bensam1231
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 09:31:50 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2016, 09:43:06 PM by bensam1231

[Heatsinks don't just magically suck heat out of one environment into another.

THERE YOU SAID IT!--

The backplate is in contact with the airspace and conducts heat away from the air, dissapating it on the cooler back side.  The air is not trapped between the components and the backplate, thermal currents flow to the backplate, and are dissapated.   The backplate "sinks" the heat from the air.  It is not magic, it is Newtonian physics.  There are numerous vents along the back and edge sides of the backplate to allow for fan driven, or thermal driven, airflow.  I just looked.  You brought up fans, anyway.

A heatsink is called a "sink"; it is an analogy to the flow of water.  Heat moves along the path of least resistance, like water, or electricity.  Heat flowing to the backplate will be dissapated rapidly by the high thermal conductivity of the metal forming the backplate.

--scryptr

It has to transfer to the backplate in the firstplace, which is where the insulation comes from. There is a extra layer here... Also known as a insulator. Air is very bad at conducting heat and electricity...

Just saying 'newtonian physics' or 'fluid dynamics' does not make you right or that you know what you're talking about.

I'm already telling you, that I OWN THE CARDS, and have experience using them. That there is absolutely NO AIRFLOW coming out of the cards. The air needs to blow through the heatsinks. If there is no airflow, then heat can't transfer or reach 'equilibrium' because the heated air does not move out into the environment and equalize.

Heatsinks work at dissipating heat from smaller surface areas to larger ones. A heatsink does not work if there is no where to remove the heat from. They could simply remove the backplate and it would skip the step of transferring heat to the plate and the card would be cooler because of it... with the exception of the pieces of ram.

If what you said worked, they could just put backplate on top of backplate on top of backplate and it would cool the card infinitely better... That's also known as layers of insulation.

"Still air is just about the best insulator there is. At the molecular level, heat transfer is easier when atoms are packed closely together.  So the actual point of most insulations is to get rid of as much solid material and trap still air inside little pockets."

https://www.quora.com/Is-air-an-insulator

1, 3, 4, and 6 are all Zotac 1070 Amp edition cards. Only reason 1 is so low is because RDP is connected and causing the card to lose hashrate. They're also set to 87c as max temp or they'd be sitting at 92, still at 100% fan usage. The coolers are trash, mainly because of the lack of airflow.

The other two cards are MSI Gaming 1070s. Notice that they're sitting at about 70% fan utilization? They'd be cooler if the Zotac cards cooled better and had more airflow around them to push heat away.

scryptr
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2016, 01:50:39 AM

The other two cards are MSI Gaming 1070s. Notice that they're sitting at about 70% fan utilization? They'd be cooler if the Zotac cards cooled better and had more airflow around them to push heat away.

THE HEAT IS DRAWN AWAY BY THE BACKPLATE--

The air is drawn to the backplate, cools, and condenses, and flows out the edges and vents of the backplate.  This is fluid dynamics.  It is not entirely passive, as the three fans are ducted at the edges so active airflow enters the airspace and gives impetus to the cooling and condensing of the air at the backplate.  As the air cools, it occupies less volume (condenses), and this vacuum draws warmer air to the heat conducting metal backplate, where the heat is rapidly transferred to the back side of the backplate and dissapated byy air on the other side.

--scryptr

bensam1231
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2016, 04:34:28 AM

The air is drawn to the backplate, cools, and condenses, and flows out the edges and vents of the backplate.  This is fluid dynamics.  It is not entirely passive, as the three fans are ducted at the edges so active airflow enters the airspace and gives impetus to the cooling and condensing of the air at the backplate.  As the air cools, it occupies less volume (condenses), and this vacuum draws warmer air to the heat conducting metal backplate, where the heat is rapidly transferred to the back side of the backplate and dissapated byy air on the other side.

--scryptr

There is absolutely no condensation happening. If there were, you'd see water droplets... and of course your GPU would have a rough time.

There is no flow. Just because there are holes does not mean that the air freely flows out of it. Air needs room to move and if there isn't enough room, the air stagnates and doesn't move at all. As I mentioned the majority of the airlflow comes out of the front vents by the monitor ports.

The fans from the front have absolutely no impact on the backplate. They do not push air past it. However, the backplate covers parts of the the edges which helps to severely hamper the airflow from the front. That mixed with the shroud wraping the edges tighter then it should (striped white pieces on the side), leads to almost no airflow. Put a piece of cardboard infront of a fan and see how much air moves out of it, poke some small holes in it, see how much air moves out of them. There is some, but not nearly as much as if you weren't covering parts of the fan.

This is not a blower cooler, the majority of the airflow is not designed to come out the backplate. The heatsink inside is not angled properly to flow out the back either (it's vertically oriented instead of horizontally oriented).

You're comparing a heatsink to a air conditioner. They're two different things and definitely operate differently.

scryptr
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2016, 10:21:58 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2016, 11:43:02 AM by scryptr

--scryptr

There is absolutely no condensation happening. If there were, you'd see water droplets... and of course your GPU would have a rough time.

There is no flow. Just because there are holes does not mean that the air freely flows out of it. Air needs room to move and if there isn't enough room, the air stagnates and doesn't move at all. As I mentioned the majority of the airlflow comes out of the front vents by the monitor ports.

The fans from the front have absolutely no impact on the backplate. They do not push air past it. However, the backplate covers parts of the the edges which helps to severely hamper the airflow from the front. That mixed with the shroud wraping the edges tighter then it should (striped white pieces on the side), leads to almost no airflow. Put a piece of cardboard infront of a fan and see how much air moves out of it, poke some small holes in it, see how much air moves out of them. There is some, but not nearly as much as if you weren't covering parts of the fan.

This is not a blower cooler, the majority of the airflow is not designed to come out the backplate. The heatsink inside is not angled properly to flow out the back either (it's vertically oriented instead of horizontally oriented).

You're comparing a heatsink to a air conditioner. They're two different things and definitely operate differently.

THE AIR CONDENSES AS IT COOLS--

Nothing was said about water.  The condensation of air causes flow towards the backplate.  There is plenty of air movement, passive due to thermal currents, and active due to fans

Look, facts lie.  They just lie around, directly in front of you, especially if you are looking at your graphics cards.  They don't jump up and down, and you don't seem to see them well.       --scryptr

Namsbreh

Activity: 318
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2016, 10:34:19 AM

With which driver please?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 03, 2016, 10:45:43 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2016, 07:01:57 PM by Amph

With which driver please?

the last one should do the work
bensam1231
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2016, 06:47:40 PM

--scryptr

Nothing was said about water.  The condensation of air causes flow towards the backplate.  There is plenty of air movement, passive due to thermal currents, and active due to fans

Look, facts lie.  They just lie around, directly in front of you, especially if you are looking at your graphics cards.  They don't jump up and down, and you don't seem to see them well.       --scryptr

"Condensation is the change of the physical state of matter from gas phase into liquid phase, and is the reverse of evaporation. The word most often refers to the water cycle."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensation

When it comes to cooling, this happens with air conditioning and swamp coolers, neither of which a heatsink is...

Only half of what you're saying is correct dude. Heatsinks work extremely poorly without airflow, hence the current problem with the Amps.

scryptr
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2016, 07:37:53 PM

--scryptr

"Condensation is the change of the physical state of matter from gas phase into liquid phase, and is the reverse of evaporation. The word most often refers to the water cycle."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensation

When it comes to cooling, this happens with air conditioning and swamp coolers, neither of which a heatsink is...

Only half of what you're saying is correct dude. Heatsinks work extremely poorly without airflow, hence the current problem with the Amps.

CONDENSATION IS A NOUN--

"To condense" is a verb.  When air loses heat, it occupies less volume, it condenses.  Heat is transferred (lost) to the backplate, the back plate transfers (sinks) the heat to the exterior side.  There is both active and passive air flow, as I explained, in the gap space between the hot components and the backplate.  The backplate is engineered to both protect the components and to act as a heat dissapating element.  It sinks heat.   No water vapor neads to condense for it to work in this manner.

The video card industry would not sell backplates for $15-25 dollars a pop if they retained heat.       --scryptr

Pages: « 1 ... 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 [603] 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 ... 1240 »
  Print  

Jump to: