Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 12:09:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Unofficial Spondoolies SP20 thread  (Read 125950 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 02:30:48 PM

How many people are still running the SP20?  Love them but need more efficient models

I got four running at my home.

They are nice hardware to play with.
They were state of the art when launched. Right now the max efficiency i get is 2.2W/GH/s at wall using 80Plus Gold PSU. At this efficiency the speed per device is around 850GH/s.

It can't be 2w per gh Tongue

you mean 0.22w per gh ?
Sorry my bad, 2.2GH/s per watt  Roll Eyes

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
goxed
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 02:33:42 PM

How many people are still running the SP20?  Love them but need more efficient models

They were state of the art when launched. Right now the max efficiency i get is 2.2W/GH/s at wall using 80Plus Gold PSU. At this efficiency the speed per device is around 850GH/s.

I think you must have the Watts and GH ratio switched. Using the 2.2 W/GH and 850 GH, that would mean a power draw of well over 1800 Watts. That just makes zero sense for an SP20. At 850 GH, what is the power draw in watts?

Is it possible that it's really 2.2 GH/W?

You are right, must double check. It's 2.2GH/s per watt at the wall.
BTW, is there any way to get to 3GH/s per watt with the SP20?

Exoskeleton

Activity: 338
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 02:57:27 PM

I think you must have the Watts and GH ratio switched. Using the 2.2 W/GH and 850 GH, that would mean a power draw of well over 1800 Watts. That just makes zero sense for an SP20. At 850 GH, what is the power draw in watts?

The best you could get from an SP20 was around 0.33W/Ghs as I've always calculated it, and most I've seen calculate it as well. That might not be at the wall though. Im not sure how many ways we can do this but if you are getting 750Ghs, and you expend 250W, your usage is 0.33W/Ghs.

I guess that's 3Ghs per Watt. So the math were using is the same just expressed in different forms. I think mine is more commonly used is all.

I might be overestimating this SP20 efficiency by a little now that I think about it. I get cheap power so I never went that low besides just to see what they could do. I think the best you could get was something like 0.35w/Ghs which brought your speed down to 700-800Ghs or so. The problem with that is unless you have absurd power prices your better off bumping it up to 1,100-1,200Ghs which was about 0.6W/Ghs, basically matching the S5 pound for pound.

goxed
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:38:49 PM

I'm in Switz, and the power rates are here through the sky. Thus I want to keep them running at their maximum efficiency.
Right now I am running the SP20 at 0.6V, with 100W Max PSU Power per Unit. The stats are 850GH/s and 375W @ Wall.
If I set the voltage or power any lower, I see that the SP20 will not start mining. Is there any other setting that I am missing. 

The best you could get from an SP20 was around 0.33W/Ghs as I've always calculated it, and most I've seen calculate it as well. That might not be at the wall though. Im not sure how many ways we can do this but if you are getting 750Ghs, and you expend 250W, your usage is 0.33W/Ghs.

I guess that's 3Ghs per Watt. So the math were using is the same just expressed in different forms. I think mine is more commonly used is all.

I might be overestimating this SP20 efficiency by a little now that I think about it. I get cheap power so I never went that low besides just to see what they could do. I think the best you could get was something like 0.35w/Ghs which brought your speed down to 700-800Ghs or so. The problem with that is unless you have absurd power prices your better off bumping it up to 1,100-1,200Ghs which was about 0.6W/Ghs, basically matching the S5 pound for pound.

Exoskeleton

Activity: 338
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 04:15:02 PM

^^ Troll? ^^

Yeah, I fed the troll...Big time...But my post was still just as informative and relevant. Right?  Cool
tlhIlwI

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 09:40:13 PM

I'm still running 4 of them.  Just this morning a power outage caused one of them to lose the web interface when the power returned (but it was still mining at the pool perfectly and was still accessible via SSH).  I didn't find the solution here even though I searched for it.  I did manage to fix it myself, so I'm dropping off the solution for it in case anyone else encounters this.  My instructions are for Linux so Windows users will need to translate them into something usable on Windows. 

The problem (lost web interface) is most likely caused by a corrupt/missing /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf file (mine was empty) causing the lighttpd to fail to start.

In my case I had three other working SP20s so I used scp to grab the file from another SP20 (replace x.x.x.x with the IP address of your good SP20):

Code:
scp root@x.x.x.x:/etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf ./Desktop

After verifying you got the correct file from a good SP20, send it to the broken SP20 (replace x.x.x.x with the IP address of the broken SP20):

Code:
scp ./Desktop/lighttpd.conf root@x.x.x.x:/etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf

Then SSH into the broken SP20 and start lighttpd (replace x.x.x.x with the IP address of the broken SP20):

Code:
ssh root@x.x.x.x
/etc/init.d/S50httpd start

The web interface should be working again.

Subscribe to my Bitcoin Mining YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7eam9msr3I2qxzsCzRTuVQ
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 09:02:25 AM

Whats always been crazy to me is if they had stated the stock mining speed as something like 800Ghs with the ability to do extreme overclocking they could have advertised a 0.35W/Ghs or so efficiency. Considering that a Bitmain S7 gets 0.25-0.30W/Ghs it makes the SP20 way ahead of its time.

I've never seen that high of efficiency out of my SP20, 0.45w/GH seems to be about the limit (818 Mh/s using 370 watts, 0.452w/GH at .59 v to be picky, my unit does NOT run reliably at any lower undervolt).

Still the best of it's generation, just too bad they pushed the "high hashrate" side over the "high efficiency" side on their marketing.

I just wish I'd had the money to buy them when they were cheap.

8-(

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 03:17:19 AM

The SP20s were amazing units, probably the most quality miner we've ever had or will have considering all factors like build quality, case, reliability, scalability, ect. Picking them up for $330 each, shipped, one year ago was probably the smartest move I've ever made with mining. I had to go into debt to get the $15,000 for the deal, and I normally would never do this and strongly advise against it. But this time it worked out big time.

Whats always been crazy to me is if they had stated the stock mining speed as something like 800Ghs with the ability to do extreme overclocking they could have advertised a 0.35W/Ghs or so efficiency. Considering that a Bitmain S7 gets 0.25-0.30W/Ghs it makes the SP20 way ahead of its time. Also consider the fact that you could have bought 5 SP20 units for $1,660 a year ago and run them at 800Ghs, for a total of 4,000Ghs at an efficiency equal to an Avalon 6 and almost to a S7, and you have it right there.

I think these SP20s were sold at a loss or so I heard. It explains why they never did another batch despite demand. They still go for over $400 each on the open market, and for good reason. These things run like tanks and failure rate is almost non existent. I can't say enough about the quality of these units and Im sad to say I don't think spondoolies can or will ever follow up with a miner of this quality at a competitive price in this market. I would LOVE for them to prove me wrong though.  Cheesy

Totally agree with the above. Over engineered and the best software interface of any miner. Very flexible to configure.

The ability to adjust the applied voltage was key for me:

1) If I needed a PS, I adjusted the voltage to about 0.63V and ran 2 on one 1200w PS.

2) During the summer, in an uncooled, ventilated desert garage, I ran them at 1,000 Ghs each at high fan speed and kept the chips below 125C

Will be interesting to see how low they can be undervolted.
opmac

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:50:54 AM

Hello

I have been searching all over trying to find a answer for a issue with my sp10. I know this is a sp20 thread but thought i would try here.
I am having a error come up similar as to another post on here. My cgminer is not  running. My asic page looks like this

Uptime:1 | FPGA ver:62
-----BOARD-0-----
PSU[UNKNOWN]: 0->(0w/0w)[0 0 0] (->0w[0 0 0]) (lim=288) 0c 0GH cooling:0/0x0
-----BOARD-1-----
PSU[NEW-MURATA]: 0->(0w/0w)[0 0 0] (->0w[0 0 0]) (lim=288) 0c 0GH cooling:0/0x0
-----BOARD-2-----
-----BOARD-3-----
LOOP[0] OFF TO:0 ((null))
0: disabled ((null))
1: disabled ((null))
LOOP[1] OFF TO:0 ((null))
2: disabled ((null))
3: disabled ((null))
LOOP[2] OFF TO:0 ((null))
4: disabled ((null))
5: disabled ((null))
LOOP[3] OFF TO:0 ((null))
6: disabled ((null))
7: disabled ((null))

[H:HW:0Gh (500),W:0,L:0,A:0,MMtmp:0 TMP:(25)=>=>=>(0,0)]
Pushed 0 jobs , in HW queue 4 jobs (sw:0, hw:0)!
min:0 wins:0[this/last min:0/0] bist-fail:0, hw-err:0
leading-zeroes:0 idle promils[s/m]:0/0, rate:0gh/s asic-count:0 (wins:0+0)
Fan:0, conseq:0
AC2DC BAD: 0 0
R/NR: 0/0
RTF asics: 0
FET: 0:250 1:250
 0 restarted      0 reset          0 reset2         0 fake_wins
 0 stuck_bist     0 low_power      0 stuck_pll      0 runtime_dsble
 0 purge_queue    0 read_timeouts  0 dc2dc_i2c       0 read_tmout2    0 read_crptn
 0 purge_queue3   0 bad_idle
 0 err_murata
No Adapter

I had to do a reboot of the machine with a SD card as it was sitting for about 6 months

Any help would be great. Thanks

tlhIlwI

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 02:11:17 PM

Does anyone know what the value of C317 on the SP20 controller board (REV A_00) is supposed to be?

The fan stopped spinning on one of my SP20s this morning which of course brought the miner down (hopefully without any damage to the ASICs-- I don't know yet).  I pulled it apart and found fuse F4 blown and a dead short across the +12V and GND lines to the fan.  Looking at the fan controller section of the controller board my suspicion was on C262, C261, C309, or C317.  I desoldered each and tested them.  C317 is completely shorted.  The fan tests good on a bench supply, so it looks like replacing F4 and C317 should bring it back to life (assuming the ASICs didn't get cooked), if I can figure out a good replacement value for C317.

Subscribe to my Bitcoin Mining YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7eam9msr3I2qxzsCzRTuVQ
Southmng

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 10:47:55 PM

Hello,

I got and used SP20 recently. It was mining fine at home using DHCP. I had to move the miner to my work (no one at home tolerate the noisy fan). At work I can’t use DHCP because of a firewall allowing only specified static IPs. So I found myself with the following problem: the miner does not accept an static IP, after rebooting (because of lack of network connection) it always restarts with the initial agreements page, ignoring previously configured variables: passports, pools and static IP.

I have contacted spondoolies, in their last response Barbara told me that “The SP20 has been out of warranty for an extended time and is now out of support “ advising me that “The following steps have proven to resolve the majority of issues: 1. Power the machine down completely and reboot. Restoring to factory settings may help.
2. Scan your router and make sure your user interface is recognizing the correct IP address. 3. Perform an SD card recovery. Instructions are on our website at (…) “.

I have already followed these instruction but noting changes. The miner works perfectly at home with DHCP but never accepts configured variables via the management console.
Via ssh I have accessed the SP20 to dig inside its file structure searching for a plausible configuration file where to change things without success. I tried using "if config eth0" to an static IP. After that I lost connection with the SP20. After rebooting again the SP20 had deleted the assigned static IP. By the way it had the latest firmware . There should be an straightforward way of solving this problem via the command line (ssh). I need some help here. Thanks in advance.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 07:57:00 AM

Very odd, I've been running my SP20 on static IP that I configured for a long time now.

Try updating your browser - I can't do configuration on one of my machines that has an OLD version of Firefox, but works fine on a machine with a fairly recent version.
 I CAN look at the SP20 web interface with that machine, but about half the buttons don't work.

The old machine is mostly my media-center box runnning Win2k, there IS no available Firefox upgrade for that old an OS past what I have on it.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Jhawkfan101

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 03:12:30 AM

Im having a problem with my SP20 that I just bought off of ebay.

I have tried getting my SP20 to start and it wont. When I turn on the power supply the fan will come on run for about 5 seconds, then shut off and the yellow light will come on. Then the yellow light goes off and the fan comes on again for about 10-20 seconds then the fan shuts off again. The yellow light then begins blinking 6 times every few seconds. The ethernet lights are both going but it is not showing up on my router and going to myminer.io shows me nothing.

I have tried to sd boot it = nothing
sd reset = resets but then when I take out the sd card and restart it.....nothing
......I even tried the blow dryer trick......nothing

The old owner has been a huge help trying to get it going but so far nothing

Any help would be majorly appreciated!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 06:11:50 AM

I have tried getting my SP20 to start and it wont. When I turn on the power supply the fan will come on run for about 5 seconds, then shut off and the yellow light will come on. Then the yellow light goes off and the fan comes on again for about 10-20 seconds then the fan shuts off again. The yellow light then begins blinking 6 times every few seconds. The ethernet lights are both going but it is not showing up on my router and going to myminer.io shows me nothing.

sd reset = resets but then when I take out the sd card and restart it.....nothing

What PSU are you using? Model and watts.

I would start at looking at that.   I never had to do the sd boot luckily. 
HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 06:32:52 AM

Try to plug a cable into the management port.
Jhawkfan101

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 02:05:03 PM

Im using a Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W
philipma1957 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4130
Merit: 7930

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 02:46:29 PM

Garbage psu multi rail so

Here is my guess.

One rail is 36 amps that is good for one pcie plug not 2
Second rail is 36 amps that is good for one pcie plug not 2
Third rail is 20 amps that is only good if your gear is set to 200 watts per pcie plug

So if your gear is set to 200 watts per pcie plug you can only do three plugs not four.

I would connect two pcie plugs

C.       Empty
C.        Empty

See diagram.

If it starts let me know

If it does not start

C.       C.
Empty empty

If it starts let me know
If it does not start

Empty.  C
Empty.  C

If it starts let me know

If it does not start

Empty  empty
C.         C

It should start on one of those patterns

With 3 rails of 36 36 20

You could get it to work on careful setup and big under clock.

Since the most a 36 can do is 18 x 12 = 216 watts.  A setting like 150 watts would be okay.

So .61 volts. And 150 watts would be good.

But you need to start it to downclock it to thay

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
Jhawkfan101

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 03:59:03 PM

Garbage psu multi rail so

Here is my guess.

One rail is 36 amps that is good for one pcie plug not 2
Second rail is 36 amps that is good for one pcie plug not 2
Third rail is 20 amps that is only good if your gear is set to 200 watts per pcie plug

So if your gear is set to 200 watts per pcie plug you can only do three plugs not four.

I would connect two pcie plugs

C.       Empty
C.        Empty

See diagram.

If it starts let me know

If it does not start

C.       C.
Empty empty

If it starts let me know
If it does not start

Empty.  C
Empty.  C

If it starts let me know

If it does not start

Empty  empty
C.         C

It should start on one of those patterns

With 3 rails of 36 36 20

You could get it to work on careful setup and big under clock.

Since the most a 36 can do is 18 x 12 = 216 watts.  A setting like 150 watts would be okay.

So .61 volts. And 150 watts would be good.

But you need to start it to downclock it to thay

Ok tried all the combinations....same thing.
I even brought up another 1300w that I have and tried them both together....Still nothing
Is it dead?
The guy I bought it from mined until he shipped it and it worked for him...
tlhIlwI

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 11:00:57 PM

Blinking 6 times... hmmm... on mine that is usually humidity related (but you've already tried the hair dryer trick and I assume you are trying to start it in a dry location).  It sounds like you've done everything else right.  That PSU isn't great but you should at least be able to start half of a blade to get something working.

I'm grasping at straws here, but is Google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 ) pingable from your LAN?  I think Spondoolies has that hard coded in a check_connection() function somewhere, so if it isn't pingable the miner will not start.

tlhIlwI

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 11:15:54 PM

While I'm in here, does anyone know a SSH command to change the fan speed without restarting mining? 

I figure it must be possible since autofan does it on the fly, but I don't know a command to manually do it.  Also, is there a command that can be executed to reset the thermal limits (Tl) like usually happens every three hours?

I've gotten into the daily ritual of kicking the fans down to 40% when I'm near the noise and up to 90% at other times and as anyone who had regularly restarted one of these knows, about 1% of the time they do not restart as expected requiring 3 or 4 extra minutes to get everything back in order.  I'm probably getting rid of them soon anyway (feel free to PM an offer) so it isn't important, but I'm still curious.

Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 »
  Print  

Jump to: