Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:37:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Everything except the price trend is going fantastic  (Read 9668 times)
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 10:31:02 PM

If you look at other metrics you see, that the BTC-economy is growing.

That's what I say and that what feels weird because if the btc-economy grows and the btc supply is the sameone then the price should go up, or at least that's my opinion (I realised I don't understand economy at all).

This is partly a good thing though, because people were bitching and moaning about stability a lot before
Yes, I think so. Anyway, more volume (more buy/sell transactions) sounds as bigger market (more capital) and provably a bigger demand.  

It will be interesting to see what happens during the stock market crash that is inevitably going to happen.
Do you have a link to read about that? Or could you explain yourself a bit more, please?

The supply is not the newly minted coins, it is the coins that people decide they do not want to hold, miners and normal beings alike.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 08:37:42 AM

The supply is not the newly minted coins, it is the coins that people decide they do not want to hold, miners and normal beings alike.

Indeed.  At a certain point, most coins should become "liquid" again.  A store of value which is never claimed doesn't make sense.
Everybody storing value for a purpose, needs to use that value some day, otherwise it doesn't make sense.
Keeping forever is the same as loosing the stored value.  It would be equivalent to "hide" gold on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean by throwing it overboard, by burning fiat, or by erasing your private keys.
goldsun

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 06:09:02 PM

I don't understand why the price is still in the same range, although more people starts to use bitcoin and more merchants accept it. Is this due to exchanges or people with lots of bitcoins making profit on the small rise and then dump it etc?

If someone could explain it shortly, would be great!
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 07:02:34 PM

Indeed.  At a certain point, most coins should become "liquid" again.  A store of value which is never claimed doesn't make sense.
Everybody storing value for a purpose, needs to use that value some day, otherwise it doesn't make sense.
Keeping forever is the same as loosing the stored value.  It would be equivalent to "hide" gold on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean by throwing it overboard, by burning fiat, or by erasing your private keys.

It is perfectly reasonable for someone to hold for a long period of time when you consider the possibility that the value stored appreciates over time.

No one here is suggesting people will hoard their money infinitely

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
dinofelis

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 07:24:54 PM

I don't understand why the price is still in the same range, although more people starts to use bitcoin and more merchants accept it. Is this due to exchanges or people with lots of bitcoins making profit on the small rise and then dump it etc?

Let us not forget that there is an inflation of 10% going on.  That means that the bitcoin holdings must grow at a 10% rate at the current price.

The market cap is a wrong indication of "how much value" there is stored in bitcoin.  In reality, the amount of value people have put into bitcoin is much less.  Many coins have been sold and are still held since they were a few dollars or a few tens of dollars.  So in order to sustain an inflation at 10% at the current price, means actually that the real value flowing into bitcoin is very big as compared to the past. 
As a simplistic example, suppose that most coins have been bought at an average price of $100.-
That means that the actual "value flown into bitcoin" would be rather $1.5 billion.  At the current price, say, $350 per coin, and an inflation rate of 10%, this comes actually down to a growth of the value flowing into bitcoin of 35% per year.
In other words, even to sustain the current price, per year, one third of the total value that has flown into bitcoin since 5 years, must flow again in bitcoin even to sustain the current price.
A growth of 35% a year is HUGE, and is needed to sustain the current price, simply due to inflation.
dinofelis

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 07:26:07 PM

It is perfectly reasonable for someone to hold for a long period of time when you consider the possibility that the value stored appreciates over time.

No one here is suggesting people will hoard their money infinitely

Of course.  But at a certain point, the number of new holders must come into equilibrium with the number of holders not holding anymore.
Raystonn

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 08:01:51 PM

The overall 2-year trend resumed in May:
goldsun

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 08:02:29 PM

Let us not forget that there is an inflation of 10% going on.  That means that the bitcoin holdings must grow at a 10% rate at the current price.

The market cap is a wrong indication of "how much value" there is stored in bitcoin.  In reality, the amount of value people have put into bitcoin is much less.  Many coins have been sold and are still held since they were a few dollars or a few tens of dollars.  So in order to sustain an inflation at 10% at the current price, means actually that the real value flowing into bitcoin is very big as compared to the past. 
As a simplistic example, suppose that most coins have been bought at an average price of $100.-
That means that the actual "value flown into bitcoin" would be rather $1.5 billion.  At the current price, say, $350 per coin, and an inflation rate of 10%, this comes actually down to a growth of the value flowing into bitcoin of 35% per year.
In other words, even to sustain the current price, per year, one third of the total value that has flown into bitcoin since 5 years, must flow again in bitcoin even to sustain the current price.
A growth of 35% a year is HUGE, and is needed to sustain the current price, simply due to inflation.

So when do we get out of this price range and it starts to rise?
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 08:18:33 PM

Much better overall view

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 01:39:12 AM

Let me explain this for once. I am drunk after a great night out so let me be condescending about it.
The fact is, theire is a bunch of people out there that exchange bitcoins on-chain no matter what the USD price of a bitcoin is. They make the estimated USD transaction volume.
Now, you can speculate about their motives. They clearly don't care as much as this forum does about volatility. Be it the drugs markets, be it remittances, we don't know fur sure. We don't care either. What we care about is that the on-chain transaction volume is growing steadily.
That means that the price of a bitcoin, sooner or later, will have to catch up with that information, because bitcoins are a finite resource with predictable supply, and because money velocity.

Ignore this post at your own risk.

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 01:20:05 PM

USD has a inflation of 10%?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 01:52:47 PM

No.  Bitcoin has an inflation rate of 10%

turvarya

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 02:29:16 PM

Ok, you mean that in a year there will be 10% more bitcoins.
That is not really inflation. That is nothing someone who bough Bitcoin really bothers.
But I see, you like to play with numbers, and make stupid conclusion. It is the same as taking some numbers from the bible, play with them and than telling everybody that the world ends at a certain date.

Edit:
Just to show, how stupid your assumption is. "value flown into bitcoin" is definitly not, what people paid on exchanges for Bitcoins. You have to take mining equipment and electricity into account.

NotLambchop

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 02:46:27 PM

That is not really inflation. That is nothing someone who bough Bitcoin really bothers.
But I see, you like to play with numbers, and make stupid conclusion. It is the same as taking some numbers from the bible, play with them and than telling everybody that the world ends at a certain date.

You asked about the 10%.  I answered:  It is Bitcoin's monetary base inflation.
If you are interested in the rate at which the general level of Bitcoin prices for goods and services is rising, this number is ~65%.*  That's how much Bitcoin BTC $ price has fallen YTD.
Hope this helped.

*This assumes that USD had 0 (zero) inflation.  If we factor in USD inflation, the number becomes even moar hilarious.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 02:58:33 PM

I expect that the Bitcoin ETF will trigger the next rally phase.

I wouldn't expect any rally of significance any more.  People got burned by the MtGox bubble.  Tullips don't rally twice.  Moreover, there are now a lot of trading options.  Speculation and trading usually make large excursions harder to come by.  A fully speculated and traded market usually only has large excursions as a function of unexpected events.

I would expect the price now, on the longer term, to evolve more slowly as a function of the expectation of the future fundamentals of bitcoin.  Bitcoin came to some form of maturity after the MtGox bubble I would think.

Good thing these aren't tulips (or even "Tullips").
turvarya

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 02:59:16 PM

You asked about the 10%.  I answered:  It is Bitcoin's monetary base inflation.
If you are interested in the rate at which the general level of Bitcoin prices for goods and services is rising, this number is ~65%.*  That's how much Bitcoin BTC $ price has fallen YTD.
Hope this helped.

*This assumes that USD had 0 (zero) inflation.  If we factor in USD inflation, the number becomes even moar hilarious.

At least someone who knows the term "monetary base inflation", but that is still not the kind of inflation, that really matters to a consumer, so I don't get, why people are referencing it all the time.

But anyways, your calculation still doesn't make much sense.
In case you just didn't see my Edit:
"value flown into bitcoin" is definitly not, what people paid on exchanges for Bitcoins. You have to take mining equipment and electricity into account.

NotLambchop

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 03:09:45 PM

At least someone who knows the term "monetary base inflation", but that is still not the kind of inflation, that really matters to a consumer, so I don't get, why people are referencing it all the time.

"value flown into bitcoin" is definitly not, what people paid on exchanges for Bitcoins. You have to take mining equipment and electricity into account.

I'm not certain you understand what inflation is, so I'll give you an abridged definition from Investopedia:

"DEFINITION OF 'INFLATION'
The rate at which the general level of prices for goods and services is rising, and, subsequently, purchasing power is falling."

Note that "value flown [sic] into [currency]" is conspicuously absent.  That's because it has nothing to do with inflation.

To offer an example:
If the US FED started spending trillions of dollars a day on printing presses, and paying its employees trillions of dollars an hour, USD inflation rate would not be any lower Undecided
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 03:23:20 PM

For a dose of reality check this one out.

https://blockchain.info/charts/estimated-transaction-volume?timespan=all&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

unchanged for 2.5 years

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
turvarya

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 03:43:50 PM

I'm not certain you understand what inflation is, so I'll give you an abridged definition from Investopedia:

"DEFINITION OF 'INFLATION'
The rate at which the general level of prices for goods and services is rising, and, subsequently, purchasing power is falling."

Note that "value flown [sic] into [currency]" is conspicuously absent.  That's because it has nothing to do with inflation.

To offer an example:
If the US FED started spending trillions of dollars a day on printing presses, and paying its employees trillions of dollars an hour, USD inflation rate would not be any lower Undecided
There is monetary base inflation, which means, that someone made more money(print or mine) and there for according to supply/demand one unit of money has less value.
And there is Price inflation, which means you can buy less with the same amount of money.
When you talk about inflation with someone outside of the Bitcoin-community they mostly mean the second. People in the Bitcoin-community mostly mean the first one, like dinofelis did, stating that inflation is 10%.

Sorry, I just mixed you up with dinofelis. He said:
That means that the actual "value flown into bitcoin" would be rather $1.5 billion.

NotLambchop

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 03:48:43 PM

^
TLDR:
Bitcoin monetary base inflation = ~10% YTD
Bitcoin price inflation               = ~65% YTD
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: