Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:55:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement - ASIC mining processor by Butterfly Labs  (Read 227489 times)
BFL (OP)

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 06:11:15 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2012, 07:49:19 PM by BFL

December 2012 UPDATE
For up to date, accurate information, please visit our new forums:

https://forums.butterflylabs.com

We provide support and official information in our forums for all things related to BFL.

Original Post
We have officially announced our upcoming ASIC based SHA256 products today.  Here's the press release with most of the relevant details:

http://news.yahoo.com/butterfly-labs-announces-next-generation-asic-lineup-054626776.html

Note:  We're currently focused on the shipment of our Mini Rig product and won't be able to field questions for a few days but we'll be back with answers to any questions.

Kind regards,
BFL

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8343

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2013, 10:18:34 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2013, 02:00:02 AM by gmaxwell

Before posting, please make sure you read these subforum guidelines.

The prior history of this thread was split off after it devolved into more noise than signal.

BFL ASIC Status (link provided by SLoK)

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/692-bfl-asic-status.html
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 01:14:14 AM

Finally a clean BFL Announcement thread, Hopefully BFLabs will post thier most recent info here on this thread, because the opening post is kind of old

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
btharper

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 05:24:48 AM

Before posting, please make sure you read these subforum guidelines.

The prior history of this thread was split off after it devolved into more noise than signal.

BFL ASIC Status (link provided by SLoK)

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/692-bfl-asic-status.html
Darn, I was hoping that was new info from BFL. Thanks for the cleanup though
RHA

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 09:16:24 AM

Current info (updated weekly) is here:
--->   BFL ASIC Status
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 10:51:22 AM

This is actually new-ish info, I think?

Quote from: BFL_Josh
I wanted to have a bit more information for this update, but it looks like I will have to wait until tomorrow to talk to a couple people.

The most important thing I wanted to convey to people at this time was that we have changed our initial "batch" from 12 wafers to 6 wafers, or to be more specific, it's apparently always been 6 with the additional six scheduled for about 1.5 weeks after that. Due to the short time frame between the two, there was a miscommunication as to the actual number of wafers being delivered in the first round. I don't know that this will affect any sort of shipping, since the next set of wafers will be done about when we are ready to start assembly on the first set.

The 6 wafers is actually a good set point for the "first batch" shipping, so the 1/3 plan will be implemented for the first 6 wafers and the remaining wafers will then all be FIFO. The first 6 wafers should cut into the pre-order orderbook by a decent chunk, but it obviously won't satisfy them all. We aren't sure what our yield will be on the wafers, we are running on an 80% yield speculation, but it's likely our yield will be much, much higher than that. With our design, we can have a core in a chip disabled due to dust or what have you and just bump up the other 15 cores to compensate and/or use it for a Jalapeno, so our yield will likely be much closer to 100% than other ASIC projects with more complicated chips.

We should see the bulk of what remains of the 75k chip run about 2 weeks after that, so about the time we are done shipping the other 6 wafers worth we'll have the bulk of our chips arrive and we'll start assembling/shipping those.

The bumping situation is mostly wrapped up at this point, so there should be no problem there. I know there was some talk about the final mask with regards to the bumping and that it may push the date of the chip completion back a couple days, but it shouldn't impact the timeline to speak of as a couple days on either side of the 31st of January shouldn't really make much of difference, being as it's basically a weekend and is in transit anyway. I am hoping to have confirmation with regards to that tomorrow (Monday).

I obviously haven't left for the fab yet, and Mondays call will determine when/if I leave. We have changed our bumping facility from the left coast to the right coast (North Carolina), so we may have the 6 wafers overnighted via courier to the bumping facility vs me picking them up and couriering them myself, although I will be meeting them at the bumping facility and making sure they don't sit around for a couple days while some guy eats and egg salad sandwich and wonders why there's a "priority!" box on his desk.

It's possible they're holding half their initial batch of wafers part-way through the wafer deposition process like ASICMINER did, in case they need to be revised. To be honest, I'd thought this was what Josh was hinting about a while ago regardign being able to revise their designs, so it's a surprise that he's so surprised by it.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
lucif

Activity: 462

Clown prophet

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 01:14:46 PM

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 06:59:07 -0600
You must order your Jalapeno through our website. When you choose BTC you
will be directed to send the required number of BTC.

There are no ASIC machines completed yet as the chips have not arrived.
With the volume of orders we have already taken your order may not be
shipped until May.

If we used the machines ourselves instead of selling them, we would break
the BTC. To be viable, many people must choose to use BTC. We are a
hardware manufacturer.

Jody

until May...
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 01:54:47 PM

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 06:59:07 -0600
You must order your Jalapeno through our website. When you choose BTC you
will be directed to send the required number of BTC.

There are no ASIC machines completed yet as the chips have not arrived.
With the volume of orders we have already taken your order may not be
shipped until May.

If we used the machines ourselves instead of selling them, we would break
the BTC. To be viable, many people must choose to use BTC. We are a
hardware manufacturer.

Jody

until May...

what am I looking at here?

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
btharper

Activity: 389

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 02:41:56 PM

This is actually new-ish info, I think?

It's possible they're holding half their initial batch of wafers part-way through the wafer deposition process like ASICMINER did, in case they need to be revised. To be honest, I'd thought this was what Josh was hinting about a while ago regardign being able to revise their designs, so it's a surprise that he's so surprised by it.
Ahh, I figured they'd update the first comment, new information is staying there I suppose.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 02:53:54 PM

Glad to see a cleaned up thread. Let's see how many pages we go before it falls into chaos again Tongue

This week should be pretty big for BFL, assuming they're still sticking to their schedule. Hopefully we'll have a progress update soon as well.

Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 03:13:26 PM

Well according to thier own schedual they are falling behind, a BFL guy (josh) should be driving in a motor vehicle right now as "the final chips roll out"

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
MonsterZero

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 03:17:54 PM

Well according to thier own schedual they are falling behind, a BFL guy (josh) should be driving in a motor vehicle right now as "the final chips roll out"

Quote from: BFL_Josh
I obviously haven't left for the fab yet, and Mondays call will determine when/if I leave. We have changed our bumping facility from the left coast to the right coast (North Carolina), so we may have the 6 wafers overnighted via courier to the bumping facility vs me picking them up and couriering them myself, although I will be meeting them at the bumping facility and making sure they don't sit around for a couple days while some guy eats and egg salad sandwich and wonders why there's a "priority!" box on his desk.

Of course his update post changes this if you read it.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 03:30:42 PM

FallING behind, they arent behind yet, so long as josh drives today

noncecents

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 01:31:34 AM

I would not be surprised if they were being DDOS'd.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 01:36:50 AM

I would not be surprised if they were being DDOS'd.

Please stop spreading FUD.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 01:55:51 AM

I was rebooting the box the forums run on to add some memory to speed things up.  It took a few minutes longer than I anticipated, sorry about that.  Jeez, down for ten minutes and people think we are packing up shop, really?  Even when the website itself was still up?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 06:26:58 AM

Forums are going to be down for a bit.  I'm bringing the box down to install more physical ram and work on a couple other things.  Shouldn't be more than an hour (hopefully much less than that)

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 10:36:37 AM

ooooh, it's all clean in here!

Grin

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 12:09:55 PM

For those of you that do not frequent the BFL Forums -- https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/692-bfl-asic-status.html#post12237

I will most likely be headed to the fab at the end of the week to be prepared to pick up the chips next week. The broker says no later than the 8th on the chips, but most likely earlier. Even if the chips roll off the line on the 8th, it doesn't affect the timeline much. Here is the current projected timeline:

Leave for the fab ~ Feb 1st or 2nd
Acquire 6 wafers earliest Feb 4th - Latest Feb 8th
Transport wafers same day to bumping facility
2 days in bumping facility
Transport to substrate and packaging
1 - 2 days for substrate and packaging
Transport to assembly house
< 24 hours at assembly house
~1 day for chip verification/testing
Transport to Kansas City
Bulk assembly / send out demo units
Ship bulk units

Our timeline is still on target for the week of the 10th, probably towards the later part of the week. If the worst case scenario in every step comes to pass, we are looking at starting shipping around Monday the 18th. Best case scenario we will start shipping around Wednesday the 13th or Thursday the 14th. This is, of course, subject to change, but I will keep everyone updated when/if there are any changes.

Happy for the update...

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1042

👻

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 01:39:47 PM

For those of you that do not frequent the BFL Forums -- https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/692-bfl-asic-status.html#post12237

I will most likely be headed to the fab at the end of the week to be prepared to pick up the chips next week. The broker says no later than the 8th on the chips, but most likely earlier. Even if the chips roll off the line on the 8th, it doesn't affect the timeline much. Here is the current projected timeline:

Leave for the fab ~ Feb 1st or 2nd
Acquire 6 wafers earliest Feb 4th - Latest Feb 8th
Transport wafers same day to bumping facility
2 days in bumping facility
Transport to substrate and packaging
1 - 2 days for substrate and packaging
Transport to assembly house
. 24 hours at assembly house
~1 day for chip verification/testing
Transport to Kansas City
Bulk assembly / send out demo units
Ship bulk units

Our timeline is still on target for the week of the 10th, probably towards the later part of the week. If the worst case scenario in every step comes to pass, we are looking at starting shipping around Monday the 18th. Best case scenario we will start shipping around Wednesday the 13th or Thursday the 14th. This is, of course, subject to change, but I will keep everyone updated when/if there are any changes.

Happy for the update...
Interesting update. I am still doubtful of BFL not delaying through. After you roll 1 ten times, you start realizing the dice is loaded
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: